Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by f3honda4me
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I would get a Houdini with a second pin or hold extra cash. I am just under 200 plays and have yet to finish all of the modes in one game let alone all of the films and mini tasks. Houdini is plenty deep for a home game.
If Houdini is a low run (and is or will be out of production soon) it would be an easy flip out later for a POTC.
I had planned on getting pirates but waiting so see how it all pans out now.
I played the proto JJP at a show over the summer a hand full of times and watches another half dozen players (some seasoned some not).The consensus was Houdini played better even with the tight shots. I will say it was a proto with the three discs and the working trunk but there seemed to be a lot of SDTM drains. While I played I never had an out lane drain.
Fan of both but Houdini would be my choice.

This is where I've been debating over the past few weeks too. I was looking more at the Hobbit or WoZ versus Houdini, depending on the amount of availability. With the announcement of Houdini ending its production, and most likely not being produced again, whereas WoZ will be soon, I went with Houdini. I really love JJP too, but for me, availability is key right now. I hope to get every JJP down the road.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

Who the heck wants to play with 22 different characters amyway? Sounds like a chore and a bore. I just to want to hit start an plunge the ball.
Pirates by a mile, just an FYI for everyone The individual characters just have a “perk” that no matter which one you chose at some point during the game you’d wish you would of chosen a different character. One makes the boat rock less, one makes collecting gold easier, one doesn’t allow you to be plundered and would only be beneficial during multiplayer, They are fairly balanced and it depends on what your strategy for the game is on who you’d want to start with. The LCD animations are extremely polished along with the code. Houdini’s are selling for $6k used and Pirates are $9.5 , it’s the quantity or quality question once again. Best of luck!

I don't think anything is very cut or dry in this, or any, hobby. There are so many factors involved, not just price or potential resale value. Some people might prefer one table's playstyle or aesthetic to another.

I think the real question ultimately is.......why not BOTH?

And actually, regarding the really awesome animations in POTC, it was a stark tradeoff to lose image and audio likenesses from the main cast, as opposed to the Hobbit where everything blended so immaculately. (Thanks Disney.) A big step back in my mind, and the entire audio and visual package just works on so many more levels in the Hobbit, as opposed to POTC. I wish that weren't the case......

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Docb8456:

so same question, but what if potc theme doesn't interest you, but you love jjp and are worried about the bad press with Houdini, for home use with kids, what would be the choice? I am going through the same dilemma.

Bad press...? Post launch or pre?

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Is this a joke ?!?!?!

I'm not sure I understand this approach. As in I'm assuming you're stating Houdini shouldn't even deserve to be given thought to be purchased compared to a JJPOTC?

Being in the same situation as the OP, I'd always rather hear thoughtful dissection/bullet points of positives and negatives regarding tables from owners and users. That helps a great deal on making a really expensive choice, and can be invaluable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 38.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-vs-jjp-potc?tu=wesman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.