Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by f3honda4me
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider docb8456.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 5 years ago

so same question, but what if potc theme doesn't interest you, but you love jjp and are worried about the bad press with Houdini, for home use with kids, what would be the choice? I am going through the same dilemma.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Bad press...? Post launch or pre?

I guess overall....I take that back, not bad press, just a lot of negative comments about the tightness of the shots.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I haven't played POTC yet and it looks like a great game. Ultimately, I went with Houdini after playing it and knew that it was a great fit for me.
* Magic as a theme appealed to me more than pirates. I still love pirates but not as much as magic.
* The Balcer design is well done - not everyone agrees but that's the case with most machines - rarely is there universal agreement. I think its fresh and fun. For example, the criss-crossing shots through the pops are very clever and the rules utilize those shots well.
* The features and build quality are very comparable to a JJP machine.
* I'm a total value shopper! JJP prices me out of the market. I really wanted a Dialed In but even Houdini at $7000 was pushing the limits of my NIB budget.
* Houdini code is super deep yet approachable - I'm not even close to getting to a wizard mode yet after 9 months.
* Houdini art package is beautiful. That is always the first thing people comment on when they first see my Houdini - how freaking cool it looks. I think POTC is pretty good looking as well.
* The toys in Houdini appealed to me. I loved the stage and the catapult into the trunk.
The complaints about tight shots are overblown. Shots on my KISS are more tight than Houdini and few people bitch about tight shots on KISS. Are you a person that wants all shots to be wide open and easy? Or do you want a game where there are a couple shots that are challenging? If you want a game that is deep and that you can grow into, Houdini's a great option.

I own one pin, WOZ, and the family loves it. the theme is neither here nor there for me, but it is a ton of fun for all of us. Now, due to the bug everyone talks about, we are looking for our second game and I want it to be worth having and not too easy or boring or too challenging either. Just something fun.
and as of now, NIB my choices are these two. yes the Houdini price point is better, but is it $2500 less of a machine? it looks pretty good to me, just concerned about the long term likeability of the family.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Seems to me a lot of people, skill-wise, can't handle the somewhat difficult layout of Houdini and instead of acknowledging their lack of aim they prefer to blame the pin. "Shots too tight". "Bad geometry". "Broken layout". Blah, blah, blah. Maybe they just need to play better. It's no cream puff fan layout, but it's not THAT hard. Most in our league are able to experience long games, play multiple modes, lock 3 balls, etc. And no shot on Houdini is as tight as the Rocket shot on Guardians. I welcome the challenge of pins with a few tight shots and I hope manufacturers aren't put off from making them due to the "Wah! It's too hard" backlash Houdini received.

I agree, I am not looking for easy and boring. Just being an amateur player at best, with kids, I didn't want to spend 7k or 9.5k and find out it was not fun after the fact. We do like challenging, so I do appreciate all the information here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 38.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider docb8456.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-vs-jjp-potc?tu=docb8456 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.