573A476D-F9B1-48FE-AB3C-980763E8970D (resized).jpeg
D461B066-BC27-4365-9F26-675B94768A4E (resized).jpeg
1EA3E4AE-5EFA-47EB-B1DD-40F87E8E5C0E (resized).jpeg
20180525_135535 (resized).jpg
20180523_012408.jpg
20180512_172606 (resized).jpg
20180529_203515 (resized).jpg
HVSD (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stangbat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 5 years ago

I played both of these games on location for the first time this week. My perspective below may not really help with someone looking to buy the game for home use. It is the perspective of someone that operates games, so take it or leave it as you want. I knew DI was well regarded but I was kind of out of the loop on Houdini as I hadn't paid a lot of attention to it.

I played several games of Houdini with my wife and my daughter. We really enjoyed it. I thought it was easy to understand the objectives and that they were fun. I didn't think anything about tight shots or it being difficult until after we were home and I looked at the reviews. I then remembered that this was a complaint about the game. Maybe it is my style of play, or how the game was set up, but tight shots wasn't on my radar after playing it. I thought it was very well done and came away impressed and wanting to play it more. We had several games that I'd consider rather long. As an operator I left thinking I'd consider getting one. The lower price is also appealing.

I played DI four times. I made myself play it four times because I'd heard so much about it and felt I had to give it a chance. I left unimpressed and not caring if I played it again. It just did not gel with me and I couldn't get into it. I found the artwork and toys unappealing, the theme is obscure, overall it just didn't garner any interest. My impression on walking up cold to each game is that Houdini grabbed me and I wanted to play more. DI didn't have that appeal. Neither my wife or daughter looked at DI or played it. Another thing that I found interesting is I know how many times I played DI because as I mentioned, I made myself play it. I have no idea how many times I played Houdini because we kept putting more quarters in it and playing it again and again.

I know I need to spend more time with DI. I'm not dogging the game, I'm just giving my quick first impression. An impression like this doesn't mean DI is bad or that I'll never like it. It is just what I thought after seeing and playing both games for the first time. I've operated Twilight Zone and that is an example of a game that the general public doesn't understand but players love. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play DI more and figure it out and learn what people find so appealing about the game. But that's the thing, with DI I felt I'd have to learn to love it. That wasn't the case with Houdini. Of course with more time on Houdini I might learn to hate it, that's always a possibility. But as an operator I left thinking Houdini was more fun and would earn me more money from the general public.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stangbat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-vs-dialled-in?tu=stangbat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.