573A476D-F9B1-48FE-AB3C-980763E8970D (resized).jpeg
D461B066-BC27-4365-9F26-675B94768A4E (resized).jpeg
1EA3E4AE-5EFA-47EB-B1DD-40F87E8E5C0E (resized).jpeg
20180525_135535 (resized).jpg
20180523_012408.jpg
20180512_172606 (resized).jpg
20180529_203515 (resized).jpg
HVSD (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Houdini has one MAJOR flaw, despite its beauty and great code: geometry. Whoever designed this PF was no engineer. The shots simply feel wrong. And when I heard it was designed without the benefit of a whitewood, even, it all made sense. If AP survives to make a second and a third pinball, I will buy their products as I did Houdini, because of the code and the attractiveness of the game. Geometry, I would hope, is a mistake a company makes only once.

Anybody who cares about gameplay knows this to be true.

The real question is, does it matter? If Houdini sold well, I'm sure AP will keep cranking out rough draft playfields and focusing on other aspects of the game.

Dialed in clearly plays like it was designed by a master and refined to the point of perfection. Night and day really.

All depends on what you are looking for in a game. If you are enthralled by the Houdini theme, or captivated by the art package, sound, or animations and don't care about gameplay, it's a no-brainer to pick Houdini.

There's reasons for some not to want a Dialed in but gameplay/layout are certainly not among them.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

You forgot one thing in your back handed opinion.
Houdini is fun to play with tough shots, but yes, the rest of the package is very nice to.

I didn't forget anything in my opinion, which I am absolutely entitled to as you are to yours. My opinion is it's a terrible game to play, so if you want to buy one you should like other things about the game besides gameplay.

#109 5 years ago

Luckily, I like the game, game play and looks.
So win win for me.
But Levi, what confuses me is your desire to bash the game?

I like a lot of the people here and would like to protect them from laying out $7,000 on a turd?

I'm an obnoxious blowhard?

I'm responding to the exact question posed by the title and content of this thread with a well reasoned and explained answer?

I just don't like magic?

I think whitewoods are important and would like to see them remain an integral part of playfield design?

I'm on pinside offering an opinion which hundreds of people do here every day?

Pick one. They are all legit reasons and you really shouldn't be confused.

#112 5 years ago

More
How many times have you played it to form such a confident objective opinion?

Here's where it gets stupid.

How many questions like this will I have to answer before I am allowed to have an opinion on this game?

The real question is why do you care that people don't share your opinion on this game? Is it as simple as trying to protect your investment? Or do you have a personal or emotional stake? Trust me, your Houdini doesn't have feelings. You don't need to protect it.

#116 5 years ago

So you really havent played it?
Maybe only a handful on location at show?
Levi?
Im really trying to help you here and undersrand....but now your opinion raises interesting logic in opinions.
I havent driven a Ferrari yet, but they suck!

You aren’t trying to understand. You are trying to be obnoxious, and succeeding.

#122 5 years ago

With your opinion, why wont you answer the question? How many times have you played Houdini, not that hard of question?
Sorry you feel threatend by your answer.
You have the right to take the 5th.
I actually thought it was you becoming obnoxious.
Agree to disagree.

Ok Eric.

I’ve played this shitty game 163 times.

Is that enough for you? Any other stupid questions?

Looking forward to your brilliant follow up.

“Ah HA! Why did you play it 163 times if you didn’t like it?!?! Ladies and gentleman of the jury, clearly he does like it. Or is lying about playing it 163 times! Either way, he as no credibility and his testimony should be stricken from the record!”

I’m getting Matlocked here, and I’ve fallen right into the trap!

#133 5 years ago

Thanks for letting me know. Now I can respect your opinion a little more. Still disagree, but we covered that.

If that's what it takes for you to respect my opinion you can keep the respect. You literally accused me of lying about having played Houdini when I wouldn't play your dumb Perry Mason game.

People offer up opinions here, and whether or not I agree with them I respect that they are in fact valid opinions and they aren't just lying to hurt my feelings or insult my taste in games. Nobody needs to field an obnoxious cross-examination for me to grant them their right to have an opinion.

So yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on a lot of stuff.

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm actually surprised the difference is that big in the vote. I do think DI is a little overrated but this is a pinball beatdown.

A whitewood and hall of fame playfield designer can help create that kind of disparity.

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You mean like Roller Coaster Tycoon?

Much better game to play than Houdini.

But you knew that when you hit submit.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

OMG. Now you're just being ridiculous for effect. RCT is one of Lawlor's worst games. Even he wishes he could erase it from his resume.

CSI is better than Houdini. Pretty sure it at least had a whitewood.

I'm feeling generous so I might just give you Houdini over NASCAR.

#184 5 years ago

SO this thread has now turned into Houdinitards trying to convince us all it's better than the absolute dregs of Pat lawlor's career?

Fitting but sad.

The question is Houdini vs. Dialed In and it's a total laugher. Everbody knows Dialed In is a great game to play and Houdini isn't.

The good news for AP is there's clearly an audience and market for the kind of game they are putting out. Do they have any other designers beyond Joe Ballsearch, and do they plan on doing a whitewood next time around? People like to pigeonhole me but I'm very open-minded. Wasn't a fan of JJPs stuff at all until they impressed me in a big way with Dialed In. If AP puts out a decent game I'll be happy to say it.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

When you stopped by my house a few months back, you had a DI in your van. Didn’t you tell me you only kept it for a few weeks? And that you didn’t really like it much so you traded it back to get another IJ?
Just sayin

LOW BLOW!

I have a Dialed In - that I have keys to - 3 blocks from the funtorium and a block from my work. Didn't take me long to realize I had no need for one of my own.

Many people here have bought and sold hundreds of games - doesn't mean we don't like most of the stuff we've sold. I bet you miss Bon Voyage!

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't know, it seems to be a new narrative around here. Pretty standard mode based game.

It's just something the "cool kids" say.

Pretty silly. I'd love to see some of the "linear" scores these scrubs are putting up.

I've noticed Houdini is pretty linear too.

Plunge the ball, watch it bounce, flip, hit a post, drain.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well some of them are 5 ball and extra balls at scoring levels and replays so it's tough to judge

DI can be ridiculously generous out of the box with EBs. Maybe that's what's causing the mass boredom around here. I'd suggest turning off EBs or limiting to 1.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-vs-dialled-in?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.