573A476D-F9B1-48FE-AB3C-980763E8970D (resized).jpeg
D461B066-BC27-4365-9F26-675B94768A4E (resized).jpeg
1EA3E4AE-5EFA-47EB-B1DD-40F87E8E5C0E (resized).jpeg
20180525_135535 (resized).jpg
20180523_012408.jpg
20180512_172606 (resized).jpg
20180529_203515 (resized).jpg
HVSD (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Do you operate machines? I don't either.

Sorry, but norcal realtor DOES operate machines.

Apart from that, i'm most interested in the comments that DI is linear. How so?

Are modes always in the same order like RS? It seemed more like Ripleys to me. Or is it just ther order of mini wizard modes?

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

For that price the new Nikon DSLR at 1300 costco is a better camera.

Yeah, but to be fair, that Nikon has ZERO flow.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Dialed In the most overrated game in the history of modern pinball. There is, however, an obnoxious vocal minority that will infiltrate every thread remotely concerning Dialed In to tell you that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Hardly overrated. Plenty of people constantly whine about how stupid the theme is, or about how the vocal minority will infiltrate every thread.

I'd say it's properly rated.

You either love it. Or you hate it. (or you think it's just okay.)

#229 5 years ago

Yeah, I'm not buying the linear argument either. The game reminds me of Ripleys, which is a similar mode based game.

Ripleys letters = sim cards.
Continents = Disasters

Scoop, then ramp, to start modes. Repeat, to stack modes. That's not linear. Different shots are active as you shoot the playfield.

Linear is doing the modes in the same order every game like Road Show or Pinball Magic.

2 weeks later
#246 5 years ago

I've wanted to buy DI for over a year, having had limited play-time at shows. The shots felt really smooth and the game was fun. (I can look past theme for a fun game.) The price has always held me back.

I finally got some uninterrupted time on a location Houdini. DI has now lost its intrigue.

Houdini is an excellent game that fires on all cylinders. Cool theme, cool art, cool gizmos, decent display/ animations. EXCELLENT layout shots, and rules.

Anybody who loves TSPP, will love this game.

All the talk about poor playfield geometry is nonsense. There is absolutely no shot on the game that the ball did not go. The only really difficult shot is the milk can. The ball lock was very repeatable.

Rules are deep, and shit is stackable. This game is awesome. It is high on my radar. DI can continue to wait while used prices drop more.

1 week later
#291 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would say that a poll showing over 75% selecting DI makes it clear whom the winner is for this one.

I started reading this thread leaning toward DI because i had played it more, and I was more familiar how good it is.

I even put an offer to buy DI a couple of weeks ago. I just wasn't' as familiar with Houdini.

However since this thread, I've spent more time with Houdini and figured out for myself who the clear winner is.

I didn't need the poll to figure it out.

20180628_165653 (resized).jpg20180628_165653 (resized).jpg
#301 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Because you purchased one does not necessarily mean you figured out the clear winner?

No, because I played both without already owning one is how I figured out the clear winner.

THEN I purchased one.

Contrast to those who purchased one first, and then decided they bought the clear winner, without equal time to the other. <- that is what the poll reflects.

I understand people don't like Houdini, just like people don't like DI.

Just get the one you like better. Not what the poll says.

(I still may get a DI someday. )

2 weeks later
#379 5 years ago

Are you just trying to rub it in the face of all the DI owners that Houdini is not only a better, game but it's also a better price?

Uncool.

#407 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

There was also a Houdini for 5400 the other day, but I tend to look at the averages and ignore the 1-offs till there are a few sales. 1-0ffs are often extenuating circumstances. Multiples show a trend; e.g. Houdini is trending to 6k quickly since none are moving at current asking prices of 6200, 6250, and 6400.
DiLe seems to still be trending at 8k currently, which considering the original price if you shopped around, is a minimal discount but people are still buying at that price point. It may drop more on second time secondary sales, as everyone tend to be comfortable with some amount of loss on a high dollar game.
I think that is why houdini has dropped so quickly and continues to drop. Lots of sales and resales as the game does not seem to stick for many people.
Original buyer gets in at 7000, but sells for 6500. next buyer gets in at 6500 and sells for 6000, and the trend continues. At some point the secondary settles out IME and the people that buy at XXXX finally decide that is the price point worth just keeping. I still see houdini trending to the NIB Stern pro pricepoint in the next 3-9months before settling out. May take another dip after that or may go back up (sometimes happens if production stops on a game, but I think houdini gets made forever???

You keep repeating yourself.

You judge a game by its price more than its factor of fun and challenge. We get it.

#410 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Im sorry if you find this difficult to stomach as a Houdini owner and defender, but the facts of sales price and games sitting unsold are just that, facts.

I did not defend Houdini in my post.

I was making a comment that you focused only on the prices, because you repeatedly posted Houdin ads, rather than make an argument for DI.

Disregarding theme, DI suffers from the randomness of the sim shot and the formulaic journey. I still like DI. The rules of Houdini make it a better game. Both have good layouts.

But I read a lot of your blather, and you're not really talking about actually playing the games.

#426 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I wish it was not the case and DI was changing hands for 30% discount as I would pick one up myself for home

We actually agree on this point. DI is 30% overpriced.

#433 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sadly over priced for us seems price right for the majority based on sales/secondary holding steady.

What majority are you talkin' bout Willis?

DI owners are a fragment of the market. But yeah, out of DI owners, they are a full 100% majority of DI owners.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sacramento, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Lighting - Led
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-vs-dialled-in?tu=RTS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.