573A476D-F9B1-48FE-AB3C-980763E8970D (resized).jpeg
D461B066-BC27-4365-9F26-675B94768A4E (resized).jpeg
1EA3E4AE-5EFA-47EB-B1DD-40F87E8E5C0E (resized).jpeg
20180525_135535 (resized).jpg
20180523_012408.jpg
20180512_172606 (resized).jpg
20180529_203515 (resized).jpg
HVSD (resized).jpg
There are 443 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

CrazyLevi……………….not respecting anyone's opinion unless it agrees with him.

If you looked up CrazyLevi in the dictionary, that's what it would say.

#152 5 years ago

based on the poll, this one is not even close.

almost 80% take DI.

#153 5 years ago

Another Vs. Thread= Another Shit Show! Lol
Buy what you want, no matter how good the game is you will most likely move to the next machine after you have played about 1000-1500 games unless your a hard core collector.....

#154 5 years ago

I'd like to play Houdini a little more,because the theme is perfect for me.I've been interested in magic ever since I was a kid. I also do a little close up magic,which some people hate,and some really like. Not everyone enjoys magic,and when I found someone who didn't like it I moved on.The real fun is when you find someone who likes magic.
I would have played a lot more of Houdini at the Pinfest,but the line for Dialed In was shorter,since they had two games set up for play.I'm also a casual player,and I kinda got scared off,when I read about how tight Houdini played.Even though the theme for Houdini was perfect for me,I ended up buying Dialed in for my first pinball machine.The theme wasn't as perfect as Houdini,but I did enjoy playing Dialed In a lot.
I heard people in line waiting to play Houdini, talking about some guy who was killing it on the Houdini game.I wish I saw him playing, because they were very impressed with his skills on this machine.
I'm thinking that this wouldn't be a game for a first time owner,that's a casual player,due to the tightness of the shots.
My local arcade has a Houdini,and I'd like to put some more time on it,because it sure is a beautiful game.If it didn't beat me up too bad,I wouldn't mind owning one.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I'd like to play Houdini a little more,because the theme is perfect for me.I've been interested in magic ever since I was a kid. I also do a little close up magic,which some people hate,and some really like. Not everyone enjoys magic,and when I found someone who didn't like it I moved on.The real fun is when you find someone who likes magic.
I would have played a lot more of Houdini at the Pinfest,but the line for Dialed In was shorter,since they had two games set up for play.I'm also a casual player,and I kinda got scared off,when I read about how tight Houdini played.Even though the theme for Houdini was perfect for me,I ended up buying Dialed in for my first pinball machine.The theme wasn't as perfect as Houdini,but I did enjoy playing Dialed In a lot.
I heard people in line waiting to play Houdini, talking about some guy who was killing it on the Houdini game.I'm thinking that this would not be a game for a first time casual pinball player,due to the tightness of the shots.
My local arcade has a Houdini,and I'd like to put some more time on it,because it sure is a beautiful game.If it didn't beat me up too bad,I wouldn't mind owning one.

Just don’t expect to play it by bashing the ball around like a good ‘ol B/W game; you have to hit the tough shots gently. But over time you can nail ‘em. I can backhand the inner loop (the catapult shot) 7 out of 10 times, and the milkcan shot 4 / 5 times. You gotta learn the shots! And you’ll be “one more gameing” in no time

#156 5 years ago

I'll be tempted to pick up a Houdini when my IM sells. My wife and I loved it on location. DI is a generic theme and didn't grab us, shot fine but felt like nothing special.

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

More
Just don’t expect to play it by bashing the ball around like a good ‘ol B/W game; you have to hit the tough shots gently. But over time you can nail ‘em. I can backhand the inner loop (the catapult shot) 7 out of 10 times, and the milkcan shot 4 / 5 times. You gotta learn the shots! And you’ll be “one more gameing” in no time

I couldn't agree more! I own this game and absolutely love it. I am far from being an expert player and I really don't see why so many people say this is a difficult pin!

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Buy what you want, no matter how good the game is you will most likely move to the next machine after you have played about 1000-1500 games unless your a hard core collector.....

Sheet! I wasn't expecting so much feedback.
Thanks to all.

Guess my new FB page is aptly titled then.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/614138888940360/

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Well duh. I was responding with to the CrazyLevi inflammatory pronouncements that you should buy Houdini "if you don't like gameplay."

Quoted from Colsond3:

Some people are a little more condescending in offering their opinion than others, but that still doesn’t make their take wrong.
Saying if you are an actual “player” you wouldn’t like Houdini is jaded.

Well duh. And I commented on that.

#160 5 years ago

I'm actually surprised the difference is that big in the vote. I do think DI is a little overrated but this is a pinball beatdown.

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm actually surprised the difference is that big in the vote. I do think DI is a little overrated but this is a pinball beatdown.

A whitewood and hall of fame playfield designer can help create that kind of disparity.

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Amen! Makes sense to ask a pinball buddy (whom you know/respect) for advice, but the "social" media phenomenon of asking random people whom you've never met for advice almost always results in a Shit Show Guess we can't help watching a train wreck! More random people (including me), prefer DI.

snaroff

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I do think DI is a little overrated but this is a pinball beatdown.

I was thinking the same thing about Iron Maiden but it's killing the other two pins in that other poll. IM vs Houdini vs AC.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I was thinking the same thing about Iron Maiden but it's killing the other two pins in that other poll. I'M vs Houdini vs AC.

what a great time for pinball though - so many good choices out there!

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A whitewood and hall of fame playfield designer can help create that kind of disparity.

You mean like Roller Coaster Tycoon?

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

You are right about that.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not if you're indecisive like I am,then it nothing but torture.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'd still take RCT over 98% of Balcer games

#169 5 years ago

If that game had Houdini's art and sound package, it would be a winner. The design is great, but the troll is more annoying than that stupid Jester from Aerosmith!

#170 5 years ago

Much better game to play than Houdini.

But you knew that when you hit submit.

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OMG. Now you're just being ridiculous for effect. RCT is one of Lawlor's worst games. Even he wishes he could erase it from his resume.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL. You guys are too funny

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

OMG. Now you're just being ridiculous for effect. RCT is one of Lawlor's worst games.

PL worst > Balcor's best

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

OMG. Now you're just being ridiculous for effect. RCT is one of Lawlor's worst games. Even he wishes he could erase it from his resume.

that is not true. Actually a good game to shoot just many think it is a bad theme.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

PL worst > Balcor's best

LOL. Come on. TSPP & WOZ aren't that bad.

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that is not true. Actually a good game to shoot just many think it is a bad theme.

Line up all Lawlor's games on a list, best to worst. RCT is near the bottom on any sane list. So yeah, one of Lawlor's worst.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

More
Now that is a great list of categories! Bravo

Hey the OP took your, "this or that" picture so I figured the homage was warranted.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Line up all Lawlor's games on a list, best to worst. RCT is near the bottom on any sane list. So yeah, one of Lawlor's worst.

you said that even he wishes he could erase it... I doubt that is true.

He may wish to erase the history of working for Stern where it all comes down to BOM instead of design and you get stuck with some crappy themes, but guessing in that era it was either work for Stern or not work in Pinball...

I personally would put it over CSI, Nascar, and Shrek.

#179 5 years ago

LOL. Come on. TSPP & WOZ aren't that bad.

You know honestly I don't know the whole story on TSPP, a game which I don't like but respect. On both sites Balcor receives second billing for the design and I've always thought of it as a Keith game (right or wrong) so i kept it out of this. Unless someone can fill me in?
I mean I also just assumed it's Keith's because it doesn't suck HEY-O!

I would put Woz very very (EDIT: +1 very) low on PF design personally.

Quoted from PinMonk:

No one is arguing it's near the bottom of his collection. CSI & FG are worse. RCT wastes some space for sure, but it has some good shots in it.

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you said that even he wishes he could erase it... I doubt that is true.
He may wish to erase the history of working for Stern where it all comes down to BOM instead of design and you get stuck with some crappy themes, but guessing in that era it was either work for Stern or not work in Pinball...
I personally would put it over CSI, Nascar, and Shrek.

The WHY doesn't matter. The statement that he probably wishes he could erase it (and all the low-BOM Sterns of that era) as one of his crappiest pins stands. And it sounds like you're agreeing.

I'd take Shrek over RCT, but when you're talking CSI (I walked away from this at PAGG after a 30 minute ball 1), NASCAR, and RCT, it's too much bad to process, so let's call it a tie for worst. And Houdini is much better than ALL of those, and at least half of Lawlor's list. <---See, back on topic!

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No one is arguing it's near the bottom of his collection.

Me: RCT is one of Lawlor's worst games.
Whysnow: that is not true.

Mmmm...

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

CSI is better than Houdini. Pretty sure it at least had a whitewood.

I'm feeling generous so I might just give you Houdini over NASCAR.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Me: RCT is one of Lawlor's worst games.
Whysnow: that is not true.
Mmmm...

You're smart enough to know he was referring to your "wishing he could erase it" statement

#184 5 years ago

SO this thread has now turned into Houdinitards trying to convince us all it's better than the absolute dregs of Pat lawlor's career?

Fitting but sad.

The question is Houdini vs. Dialed In and it's a total laugher. Everbody knows Dialed In is a great game to play and Houdini isn't.

The good news for AP is there's clearly an audience and market for the kind of game they are putting out. Do they have any other designers beyond Joe Ballsearch, and do they plan on doing a whitewood next time around? People like to pigeonhole me but I'm very open-minded. Wasn't a fan of JJPs stuff at all until they impressed me in a big way with Dialed In. If AP puts out a decent game I'll be happy to say it.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

SO this thread has now turned into Houdinitards trying to convince us all it's better than the absolute dregs of Pat lawlor's career?
Fitting but sad.
The question is Houdini vs. Dialed In and it's a total laugher. Everbody knows Dialed In is a great game to play and Houdini isn't.

When you stopped by my house a few months back, you had a DI in your van. Didn’t you tell me you only kept it for a few weeks? And that you didn’t really like it much so you traded it back to get another IJ?

Just sayin

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

When you stopped by my house a few months back, you had a DI in your van. Didn’t you tell me you only kept it for a few weeks? And that you didn’t really like it much so you traded it back to get another IJ?
Just sayin

LOW BLOW!

I have a Dialed In - that I have keys to - 3 blocks from the funtorium and a block from my work. Didn't take me long to realize I had no need for one of my own.

Many people here have bought and sold hundreds of games - doesn't mean we don't like most of the stuff we've sold. I bet you miss Bon Voyage!

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Fitting but sad.

Maybe I need to burn out on Houdini, but I totally burned out on Dialed In over 6 months. Too repetitive. Software may save it over time if it's more like WoZ and less like Hobbit in the polish department. No one missed Dialed In when it left the route I help with, and I wasn't crying any tears, either.

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Do they have any other designers beyond Joe Ballsearch, and do they plan on doing a whitewood next time around?

People here have said Balcor for #2

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

People here have said Balcor for #2

Houdini proves that you can, in fact, polish a turd. Move over Myth Busters!

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Houdini proves that you can, in fact, polish a turd. Move over Myth Busters!

Batman'66 did it first. Don't make me graph it for you.

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Maybe I need to burn out on Houdini, but I totally burned out on Dialed In over 6 months.

I played it too much, then took a few weeks off, and came back fresh and enjoy it much more now.

Everything in moderation.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I played it too much, then took a few weeks off, and came back fresh and enjoy it much more now.
Everything in moderation.

I play Houdini, Iron Maiden, and AfMr at least 3x a week to "test" them and haven't burned out on them. Similar play time on Dialed In at the same location and I was burned out in 6 months.

#193 5 years ago

Nothing to see here, move along folks, just an old fashioned dick challenge contest going on ha ha ha

#194 5 years ago

Haha...come on man, I had to! And I actually do miss bon voyage. That game is friggin cherry...err, I mean plays great. lol

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

CSI is better than Houdini. Pretty sure it at least had a whitewood.

Batman, Transformers, Avengers, Deadpool, Wrestlemania, even NoES:Freddy had whitewoods - all crap games. Whitewoods are no guarantee of a good game. AP had various incarnations of Houdini "on tour" for most of the year before release, and it was tweaked throughout. At least that's more location testing than Stern does now.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I'm also a casual player,and I kinda got scared off,when I read about how tight Houdini played.

I really don't see how Houdini is that different from any other game. There are easy shots, medium difficulty shots and there are hard shots. But the tightness reputation is just a great example of Pinside group think. If a few vocal people cry about it on every Houdini thread then it somehow becomes the gospel truth.

I'm also a casual, average player and I have no problem hitting 95% of the shots on Houdini. It maybe took me a couple hours to start hitting the trunk shot and a couple weeks to dial it in. It's not that hard people.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I really don't see how Houdini is that different from any other game. There are easy shots, medium difficulty shots and there are hard shots. But the tightness reputation is just a great example of Pinside group think. If a few vocal people cry about it on every Houdini thread then it somehow becomes the gospel truth.
I'm also a casual, average player and I have no problem hitting 95% of the shots on Houdini. It maybe took me a couple hours to start hitting the trunk shot and a couple weeks to dial it in. It's not that hard people.

But the cool kids on Pinside have spoken, it isn't a good game and you should feel bad for liking it.... /s

#198 5 years ago

Dialed In all day long! Great game, so much fun to play.

#199 5 years ago

Mark my words... in 3, 6 or 12 months from now, Houdini will be waaay up there on many people's list!

There are so many followers in this world.... Everyone wants to buy what everyone else says is great.

(Just putting my flame suit on)

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

My buddy Wayne and I spent a good amount of time with Josh last year after set up hours at Pinfest (2017) getting a good explanation of the rule set, some of the quirks, what went into the game, some of what they might change in the code, the tight shots, everything. Ended up playing a few games with him.

DI is a cool game and plays well, but the theme is not for me. I have a blast playing it when I come across one. Aesthetically I prefer Houdini, and I like that the gameplay is challenging. I had a mint BF before, and miss that game. Very tight and challenging shots also, same for BSD.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Lighting - Led
Lermods

There are 443 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-vs-dialled-in/page/4?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.