573A476D-F9B1-48FE-AB3C-980763E8970D (resized).jpeg
D461B066-BC27-4365-9F26-675B94768A4E (resized).jpeg
1EA3E4AE-5EFA-47EB-B1DD-40F87E8E5C0E (resized).jpeg
20180525_135535 (resized).jpg
20180523_012408.jpg
20180512_172606 (resized).jpg
20180529_203515 (resized).jpg
HVSD (resized).jpg
There are 443 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Houdini has one MAJOR flaw, despite its beauty and great code: geometry. Whoever designed this PF was no engineer. The shots simply feel wrong. And when I heard it was designed without the benefit of a whitewood, even, it all made sense. If AP survives to make a second and a third pinball, I will buy their products as I did Houdini, because of the code and the attractiveness of the game. Geometry, I would hope, is a mistake a company makes only once.

Apparently not a dealbreaker. Gomez keeps cranking out clunky designs with a LOT more experience. Software saved his latest, Batman'66, but it's a very clunky design. Houdini's shots feel better than BM'66, they're just tougher and require more accuracy to hit well.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Sorry, but norcal realtor DOES operate machines.
Apart from that, i'm most interested in the comments that DI is linear. How so?
Are modes always in the same order like RS? It seemed more like Ripleys to me. Or is it just ther order of mini wizard modes?

You have the base set of disasters in "tiers" and can attack those disasters either by taking whatever's come up or selecting the disaster you want to do next. After half the disasters are done, you get to a mini-wizard mode which is new, called Chaos in Quantum City. Then after finishing the other disasters, depending on how many SIM cards you collect, you get to either Armageddon (the "bad" ending), or Shutdown (the real ending). It's pretty straightforward, and there's not much in the way of side things to do outside of some Crazy Bob awarded multiballs. The drones and spiders are very under-utilized. Over time it gets repetitive, IMO.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

For you guys with DI just curious what your thoughts are on the scoop protectors. I used to really enjoy playing the game on route but ever since the protectors we're installed on the phone scoop and Sim Card the game is too frustrating to play with all the rejects. Totally ruins the game experience for me!

Depends on which protectors. If they put on the original JJP try at protectors and didn't get the Cliffies once JJP abandoned their bad design and started releasing with Cliffies from the factory, I can understand the frustration.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Depends on which protectors. If they put on the original JJP try at protectors and didn't get the Cliffies once JJP abandoned their bad design and started releasing with Cliffies from the factory, I can understand the frustration.

My guess is they are the original JJP since this is an early run game that didn't have protectors from the factory. Glad the genuine Cliffies offer a better experience at least!

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

More
My guess is they are the original JJP since this is an early run game that didn't have protectors from the factory. Glad the genuine Cliffies offer a better experience at least!

Ask your location/operator to request the better Cliffy ones from JJP. They do send them out. The JJP designed ones are terrible. Ruin the game.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Do you have a Houdini on route? It's one of the top earners, still, on the route I help with. Can't say that about Dialed In. It dropped off after about a month to the middle of the pack then drifted down from there.

I like the home user and operator perspectives coming into this poll.

If I were routing games, having a new 9k machine drop off quickly below a Stern would make me cringe. Location matters sure, but No thanks.

#57 5 years ago

I play Dialed In every time on location, will only drop $ in Houdini if i have to in a tournament, its just not fun, modes seem wack and over valued (esp if you start it at 2x which why wouldnt you?), MB undervalued, magnets that throw the ball away way too often. call outs are bad and annoying, just a mess of a game, bad geometry on the shots, doesnt flow or feel smooth. clunky feeling.

Dialed In, great modes/rules, risk reward strategies, game flows like butter, just fun all around despite the theme.

#58 5 years ago

I vote For Dialed in i think it's plays much better than Houdini.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Houdini has one MAJOR flaw, despite its beauty and great code: geometry. Whoever designed this PF was no engineer. The shots simply feel wrong. And when I heard it was designed without the benefit of a whitewood, even, it all made sense. If AP survives to make a second and a third pinball, I will buy their products as I did Houdini, because of the code and the attractiveness of the game. Geometry, I would hope, is a mistake a company makes only once.

FWIW, This is a very negative way to make the point I made above - the shots do take some time to learn. It’s not that the “geometry” is wrong, it’s that the shots aren’t the standard B/W shots. I like that, but it does take getting used to.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I play Dialed In every time on location, will only drop $ in Houdini if i have to in a tournament, its just not fun, modes seem wack and over valued (esp if you start it at 2x which why wouldnt you?), MB undervalued, magnets that throw the ball away way too often. call outs are bad and annoying, just a mess of a game, bad geometry on the shots, doesnt flow or feel smooth. clunky feeling.
Dialed In, great modes/rules, risk reward strategies, game flows like butter, just fun all around despite the theme.

Deleted my original post/rant.

A mess of a game? Harsh review on Houdini. Best stick with those easy flow pins.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

FWIW, This is a very negative way to make the point I made above - the shots do take some time to learn. It’s not that the “geometry” is wrong, it’s that the shots aren’t the standard B/W shots. I like that, but it does take getting used to.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Deleted my original post/rant.
A mess of a game? Harsh review on Houdini. Best stick with those easy flow pins.

ohh, i can hit the shots, but its a bad game, sorry. I am not addicted to flow games, i own a SFII lol, but shots shouldnt punish you for making them.

the right orbit if hit hard shoots around to the left and returns SDTM if you dont nudge/slide the game, that's bad geometry.

last time i played houdini i played about 10 games in a row with an average of about 800,000 points but did not have any fun playing it so meh.

#62 5 years ago

So I went to play Houdini today. Made sure it was perfectly level. I liked the play. Its definitely a fun game but you must be a little better than just a novice player to get some of the features of the game going. I observed a few games on it from patrons at a location I run. They said they enjoyed it but never hit a single ramp or trunk lock shot in $4 spent (5 games total) I can understand how that can be a turn off. We do set the games very easy at this location. The same couple did not play dialed in though, they liked the 90s games that were .50 cents per play.

I will try to watch a little more. Place is crowded at the minute. So I am not trying to be in anyone's business. =)

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

They said they enjoyed it but never hit a single ramp or trunk lock shot in $4 spent (5 games total) I can understand how that can be a turn off.

Trunk lock I can see, but the ramp is not hard at all. How could they get NO ramp shots?

the right orbit if hit hard shoots around to the left and returns SDTM if you dont nudge/slide the game, that's bad geometry.

No, that's bad setup or bad assembly. Ours doesn't do that. It goes to the tip of the flipper.

#64 5 years ago

ohh, i can hit the shots, but its a bad game, sorry. I am not addicted to flow games, i own a SFII lol, but shots shouldnt punish you for making them.
last time i played houdini i played about 10 games in a row with an average of about 800,000 points but did not have any fun playing it so meh.

Fair enough. Got the impression you were a "flow or no" guy from your last post.

I agree made shots should not drain at a high percentage. I wonder if that particular one was leveled and pitched properly.

I have only played Houdini a few times so far. Between that and gameplay video I have not noticed that issue, but maybe it's there. Generally a curable thing with proper setup.

#65 5 years ago

I would still probably pick dialed in but the Sim card shot is annoying to me. Nothing worse than a shot on the game that you can't make without a lucky bounce in. At least on my game, the shot was impossible to make with a flipper.

But dialed in is still awesome just nit picking!

#66 5 years ago

I would highly recommend playing both and pick the one you like.

Both look great.

Both different critters. Dialed In is Pat Lawlor turned loose without the bean counters.

Houdini can kick you in the nuts like TZ.

Both great games. Both different reasons.

Not an easy decision if you only get one.

LTG : )

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Trunk lock I can see, but the ramp is not hard at all. How could they get NO ramp shots?

No, that's bad setup or bad assembly. Ours doesn't do that. It goes to the tip of the flipper.

Just simply sharing what I observed.

#68 5 years ago

I sold my Dialed In LE to pay for Houdini and couldn’t be happier with my decision. It’s just a more complex and fun game for me.
That being said, I would like a Dialed In again someday. I think you’d be happy with either choice though.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Do you have a Houdini on route? It's one of the top earners, still, on the route I help with. Can't say that about Dialed In. It dropped off after about a month to the middle of the pack then drifted down from there.

Yep - I have one on route called my basement! No - I don't. Not sure if you read my posts completely but I was mentioning what I've heard and seen with my own eyes at bars.

I noticed you say Houdini feels better than ____ or ____. You're missing the part where you say that's just your opinion - just like I mentioned with my posts. I appreciate you playing Houdini defender though. Nice.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Just simply sharing what I observed.

It's just weird that they couldn't make ANY ramp shots when that's not even a hard shot.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yep - I have one on route called my basement! No - I don't. Not sure if you read my posts completely but I was mentioning what I've heard and seen with my own eyes at bars.
I noticed you say Houdini feels better than ___ or ___. You're missing the part where you say that's just your opinion - just like I mentioned with my posts. I appreciate you playing Houdini defender though. Nice.

The earnings of Houdini on route are not "my opinion" they are fact. And Houdini earnings in month 5 destroy Dialed In LE at the same point. Other OPs I've talked to had their Dialed In drop off sharply after just a month or so.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The earnings of Houdini on route are not "my opinion" they are fact. And Houdini earnings in month 5 destroy Dialed In LE at the same point. Other OPs I've talked to had their Dialed In drop off sharply after just a month or so.

Vireland - read my response again and then try to figure out where you went wrong. Can't help you anymore - you're a smart guy. You'll figure it out.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Apparently not a dealbreaker. Gomez keeps cranking out clunky designs with a LOT more experience.

I wouldn't say Gomez is cranking out games. I would say he retweeked an older game and hasn't made a new one in 6 years.

#74 5 years ago

At the location I was at today dialed in had 18954 plays lifetime. Collection cycle was 847 to 505 in favor of DI.

#75 5 years ago

The Houdini call outs are an annoying voice that makes it tough for me.

Dialed in just feels better for me, but both are fun in different ways.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I wouldn't say Gomez is cranking out games. I would say he retweeked an older game and hasn't made a new one in 6 years.

Tomato, tomatoe. Point is, he designs more clunky games than smooth shooters and people keep asking for more. Houdini shoots better than most Gomez designs, and AP did it in a little more than a year, from scratch.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Tomato, tomatoe. Point is, he designs more clunky games than smooth shooters and people keep asking for more. .

Tomato, potato.
Avengers, Tranformers, BDK....not real popular games people are asking for more of. I mean not for the last 15 years anyway.

#78 5 years ago

...Monster Bash, LOTR, BM66. Some good pedigree mixed in there

Not sure where we're going with the Gomez thing

#79 5 years ago

For people that forgot his birthday recently.

#80 5 years ago

That he doesn't design machines anymore unless it's a refake or child predators (alleged) are removed during production.

#81 5 years ago

...Monster Bash, LOTR, BM66. Some good pedigree mixed in there

Mechanical design on Batman and Batman'66 is poor. Software saved Batman'66. Original Batman was not so lucky. Monster Bash and LotR are his smoothest designs and they were 15+ years ago. All his recent stuff is way clunkier than Houdini dreams of being.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

At the location I was at today dialed in had 18954 plays lifetime. Collection cycle was 847 to 505 in favor of DI.

Wow thats alot of plays... how did it look and play?

#83 5 years ago

Back to topic. Placing my vote here again.

20180525_135535 (resized).jpg20180525_135535 (resized).jpg
#84 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Wow thats alot of plays... how did it look and play?

It's my game. It's in great shape.

#85 5 years ago

I think Houdini is magical, if it’s dialed in correctly.

#86 5 years ago

Played DI at a barcade tonight. It was pretty fun. As another poster said the flow is very similar to TAF, which I appreciate. I ended up getting my ball in some ball lock and it never came back. I figured I must’ve lost so I put another dollar in and lost the money. Two people after me tried and it ate their money. They had to power it off for the rest of night. It was sad as it was the newest and best game in the place. I really wonder if the bugs are worked out, I will hold off on buying one for now.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Played DI at a barcade tonight. It was pretty fun. As another poster said the flow is very similar to TAF, which I appreciate. I ended up getting my ball in some ball lock and it never came back. I figured I must’ve lost so I put another dollar in and lost the money. Two people after me tried and it ate their money. They had to power it off for the rest of night. It was sad as it was the newest and best game in the place. I really wonder if the bugs are worked out, I will hold off on buying one for now.

Sounds like a loose opto ... never had any issues in home use and in most cases di is very solid considering how much is in the game.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

I really wonder if the bugs are worked out,

Bugs are worked out.

Quoted from jp1985:

They had to power it off for the rest of night. It was sad as it was the newest and best game in the place.

Easy fixes if anyone was there to do them. Not the games fault. Crap happens. Refund money to player. Fix game.

#89 5 years ago

Houdini is now gone from my gameroom. I tried to like it, and failed. I can't speak from an op's POV, but I know ops here, and not one is willing to route a Houdini. From a home collector's (and competitive player's) POV, though, Houdini missed the mark. The callouts sound as though the announcer might have been wearing panties. Really effeminate. Like the Ringmaster, but on estrogen replacement therapy.

Someone said DI was Lawlor without the bean counters. I couldn't have said it better. Quality build, (AP's was, too), quality design, quality code (better than AP's, but this was Keith Johnson, so almost unfair to compare).

As goes GGomez, I agree with Vic's assessment 100%.

#90 5 years ago

Dialed In and Houdini on freeplay and in stock at Abel electronics. Come play them both then take one home or maybe both.

1EA3E4AE-5EFA-47EB-B1DD-40F87E8E5C0E (resized).jpeg1EA3E4AE-5EFA-47EB-B1DD-40F87E8E5C0E (resized).jpeg
#91 5 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

FWIW, I have played Houdini a lot and don't care for it, but do you need to be such dicks about it? The designer is one of the few people in the industry who still posts here. I'm sure it's just awesome to get crapped on constantly by people who haven't designed shit.
I'm not saying everything has to be all sunshine and rainbows but it would be nice if more people in the industry would post here.

People are laying down serious coin for these games, the bar is set high. I for one want to see how people feel about their experience, even if it’s a bit edgy.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I had a similar experience at my location. IME, comparing Houdini to Dialed In from an earnings perspective, had Houdini on location for a couple of months and it earned about 65% of what Dialed In earned its first two months on location. Houdini didn't get that "second quarter" from casual players and expert players could take it or leave it. Personally, I was able to break a million points on Houdini several times, but found the game more work to play than fun to play.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

I had a similar experience at my location. IME, comparing Houdini to Dialed In from an earnings perspective, had Houdini on location for a couple of months and it earned about 65% of what Dialed In earned its first two months on location. Houdini didn't get that "second quarter" from casual players and expert players could take it or leave it. Personally, I was able to break a million points on Houdini several times, but found the game more work to play than fun to play.

But did Dialed In hold its earning level after the first month or two? The Dialed In we had fell off sharply after the first month, where Houdini didn't. Other OPs I've talked to have had a similar experience.

#94 5 years ago

Seems like we have two conversations going here. One about the initial question and one about routing the two machines. I own DILE and was going to buy Houdini, that is until I spent about two hours on it at an expo. The game is gorgeous, and I have no gender issues with the call outs; however, I am in the camp that dislikes the geometry/design. Games can be difficult and fun at the same time (shadow anyone?), but Houdini is fun in only in very small and rare bursts. I’m sure I could practice practice practice in a home environment, but the shots just don’t work well. I did put up some great scores, but I did not have much fun in doing so. I’ve seen it on route a few times and have passed. Lawlor is an epic designer in my eyes, and DI reflects that almost perfectly.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Seems like we have two conversations going here. One about the initial question and one about routing the two machines. I own DILE and was going to buy Houdini, that is until I spent about two hours on it at an expo. The game is gorgeous, and I have no gender issues with the call outs; however, I am in the camp that dislikes the geometry/design. Games can be difficult and fun at the same time (shadow anyone?), but Houdini is fun in only in very small and rare bursts. I’m sure I could practice practice practice in a home environment, but the shots just don’t work well. I did put up some great scores, but I did not have much fun in doing so. I’ve seen it on route a few times and have passed. Lawlor is an epic designer in my eyes, and DI reflects that almost perfectly.

Thank you.

I am enjoying reading what operators think, as I've never thought about their perspective before.

But it was off track as I asked for a Home environment. Now I have 2 perspectives!

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Also cost is relative. Houdini is 7k, DI is 9k. If the game earns 20% better per month, that difference is not as relevant. This has been my experience so far.

$7k v $8k (DI).

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

the Sim card shot is annoying to me. Nothing worse than a shot on the game that you can't make without a lucky bounce in. At least on my game, the shot was impossible to make with a flipper.

Same. And impossible to get good scores without sims.

Quoted from Ns2973:

The Houdini call outs are an annoying voice that makes it tough for me.

Funny because sound effects and call outs killed DI for me.

#98 5 years ago

Funny because sound effects and call outs killed DI for me.

Selfies and emojis and the cell phone and the theme killed DI for me. JJPs best layout so far, but worst theme and modes.

#99 5 years ago

Selfies and emojis and the cell phone and the theme killed DI for me. JJPs best layout so far, but worst theme and modes.

Funny, the more I play Di the more I realize they’re making fun of the whole emojis and selfies culture, but I guess it’s not that obvious right away

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Anybody who cares about gameplay knows this to be true.

The real question is, does it matter? If Houdini sold well, I'm sure AP will keep cranking out rough draft playfields and focusing on other aspects of the game.

Dialed in clearly plays like it was designed by a master and refined to the point of perfection. Night and day really.

All depends on what you are looking for in a game. If you are enthralled by the Houdini theme, or captivated by the art package, sound, or animations and don't care about gameplay, it's a no-brainer to pick Houdini.

There's reasons for some not to want a Dialed in but gameplay/layout are certainly not among them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

There are 443 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-vs-dialled-in/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.