• Maiden Pro 222 votes
    54%
  • Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle 70 votes
    17%
  • Houdini 117 votes
    29%

(409 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D0C619A7-3776-4D54-8306-6A8256877E5B (resized).jpeg
F0FCEF64-29AB-4129-AE5C-E53F349B928E (resized).jpeg
gladiator_thumbs_up (resized).jpg
20180510_203408 (resized).jpg

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 9 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

By easy I mean longish ball times...not completing the game. LOTR is an "easy" game to me but I've never been close to Valinor.

Open the outlines wide and turn off "Revive" and you'll have no concerns about ball times.

#152 9 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

That's what scares me about it. I don't know becasue I haven't played one yet but it looks like it might be a little on the "easy" side.

Hmmm. I hear you. Kind of reminds me of AC/DC. No hard shots. No particularly satisfying shots (except the bell). Everything is easy to combo and repeat. Multi-balls galore. The fact the wizard mode is difficult to reach does not change that it's an easy layout. It's a rush to play and I like it, but I don't love it, probably due to the lack of challenging shots.

I agree the upper left flipper shots on Maiden aren't a total gimme, but overall it's far from a challenging layout. I put up over 200M my first game and over 400M within my first 5 games. Ball times were quite long.

#153 9 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Open the outlines wide and turn off "Revive" and you'll have no concerns about ball times.

That's true, but it doesn't change the openness of the shot map. Not knocking Maiden here. Just making an observation. Shots are definitely more make-able and repeatable than Guardians, Houdini, etc.

For those who prefer multiple tight shots, extra challenging shots, etc Maiden may not be good fit.

#154 9 months ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

That's true, but it doesn't change the openness of the shot map. Not knocking Maiden here. Just making an observation. Shots are definitely more make-able and repeatable than Guardians, Houdini, etc.

Well, Iron Maiden is a flow game, so of course it will have repeatable shots and Houdini (which is a stop and go game, essentially) will not. I personally like both of them a lot, but they are VERY different play styles.

Your Maiden ball/game times will get shorter if you use full-open outlanes, turn off revive, and limit extra balls to 1 or 2.

#155 9 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Well, Iron Maiden is a flow game, so of course it will have repeatable shots and Houdini (which is a stop and go game, essentially) will not.
Your Maiden ball/game times will get shorter if you use full-open outlanes, turn off revive, and limit extra balls to 1 or 2.

Good point. I'll will definitely make those adjustments as needed on the one I'm getting.

#156 9 months ago

Brice- Are you getting a Maiden and a Houdini?

#157 9 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

So given the full features on ACNC and Houdini as well as their prices, why not expand your consideration to an IMDN Premium?

IMDN is fun! I just don’t trust Spike system long term and can’t repair the boards. I have a deposit down on ACNC.

#158 9 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Brice- Are you getting a Maiden and a Houdini?

Already ordered Maiden Pro

Was about to order Houdini, but then the owner of my location decided to get one. That's only 5 minutes from me, which lessens the draw a bit of getting one for myself. So, that's on hold for now.

Funny how things change and plans go sideways. The location owner was supposed to get Maiden, but is getting Houdini instead. So, the Maiden I ordered for myself is now going to the location. And the Houdini I wanted for myself I'm less inclined to buy. So much for bringing home something new before the baby comes. At least I'll get to enjoy them over there.

#159 9 months ago

It will be interesting to see which one gets more play.

#160 9 months ago

After playing all three this weekend at SFGE, I would pick IMdn.

Hou has the best backglass presentation in years. Incredibly detailed artwork with the display behind, making it seem like you are seeing a stage, not a display panel. But the playfield is laid out in such a way as to create a giant funnel pointing down between the flippers. Even with the bounce post it still has a hungry throat. I seemed to experience cheap drains one after another. The animations seem to be running at 3/4 speed and play modes have lengthy intros. I think you can flip out of them, but it'd be nice if they played a little faster so you didn't have to. For me, the re-playability just never manifested itself. Fun game, but ultimately missed clicking with me.

Played ACNC and was bewildered the whole time. Was a shot lit? I didn't think so, but it did something seemingly important and other shots lit up after...The slingshot kickers need a redesign or something. They define "clunk". I seemed to warm to the playfield more than Hou but couldn't really get anything going. None of the shots seemed intuitive to me.

IMdn . OK, I don't like the band, but I can tolerate them for a period of time. The playfield here had the better layout of the three, with fewer "cheap drains" where the balls roll out of a playfield component directly down the middle. Most of the game is easy to understand or described by the display. Good modes with shot distribution. The upper left flipper...well, both upper flippers are kind of restrained as to what you can do with them. The left shot through the pops was so dangerous I just quit trying to make it. Every miss was an immediate draino.

Playwise, my impressions are IMdn, Hou, then ACpr. I would like to play IMdn more. The other two, not as much.

#161 9 months ago

I own an Iron Maiden pro. It is a great game. I have spent a lot of time on a Houdini and it is a good, hard, game. I have limited time on AC but if it is like any other Spooky pin it would not last very long in my collection.

Hopefully, my buddy Dayhuff gets an AC so I can spend some time on it at his next party.

#162 9 months ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Played ACNC and was bewildered the whole time. Was a shot lit? I didn't think so, but it did something seemingly important and other shots lit up after...The slingshot kickers need a redesign or something. They define "clunk". I seemed to warm to the playfield more than Hou but couldn't really get anything going. None of the shots seemed intuitive to me.

Uff I was hoping some progress was made since I played it and felt the same as you. It leaves you alone to just try to figure out what's going on that's for sure.

#163 9 months ago

This is a closer race than I thought it would be between Iron Maiden and Houdini.

#165 9 months ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

This is a closer race than I thought it would be between Iron Maiden and Houdini.

A lot of it has to do with the Maiden theme for sure. We all know the Maiden fans are a loud bunch and always have been, but it's actually very low on the interest level to average people; & Magic is a classic pinball theme.

#166 9 months ago

Yeah. Seems like Houdini is gaining ground.

That's what I noticed as well.

Quoted from TheLaw:

A lot of it has to do with the Maiden theme for sure. We all know the Maiden fans are a loud bunch and always have been, but it's actually very low on the interest level to average people; & Magic is a classic pinball theme.

I agree.

#167 9 months ago

Yeah. Seems like Houdini is gaining ground.

Houdini is a deeper game, so if that's what you like, there's no point of comparison.

#168 9 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Houdini is a deeper game, so if that's what you like, there's no point of comparison.

...and Iron Maiden is a better, far more exciting game, so if you like a high energy game, there’s no comparison.

#169 9 months ago

I wonder if something more complicated is at play here.
I've played all 3. The ACNC I played at gspagg was ho hum. Houdini was frustrating, even annoying. IM was fun from the start. BUT, maybe Houdini in my home has a deeper replay value. What's more long term satisfying- a pin that's easier to shoot and challenges me with modes I'll rarely reach and repeat? Or a pin that challenges me with ongoing, difficult shots to master?
And if we cleverly try to say both, it fails because challenging can eventually turn to hopelessness, which is ultimately not fun.

#170 9 months ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

I wonder if something more complicated is at play here.
I've played all 3. The ACNC I played at gspagg was ho hum. Houdini was frustrating, even annoying. IM was fun from the start. BUT, maybe Houdini in my home has a deeper replay value. What's more long term satisfying- a pin that's easier to shoot and challenges me with modes I'll rarely reach and repeat? Or a pin that challenges me with ongoing, difficult shots to master?
And if we cleverly try to say both, it fails because challenging can eventually turn to hopelessness, which is ultimately not fun.

If you can hit both ramps, spinners and inner and outer loop shots at will on Maiden, then get a Houdini. Otherwise, IMDN is plenty challenging.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Machine - For Sale
Fenton, MI
5,799 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fairhope, AL
Machine - For Sale
Redding, CA
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside