ch.gif
So many bricks-you could build a wall.jpg
Shooting bricks.png
061B600C-3EB0-44A1-B3DA-C32CD54636C8 (resized).jpeg
jerk (resized).jpg
E44AF033-4ECE-4483-B6EC-6B33CDCA9750 (resized).jpeg
0745FBEE-5C69-4C04-A444-DD191229B490 (resized).jpeg
988992F0-9E09-4EDB-A107-94362ACD7929 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#281 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I totally disagree with your accusations. Whats your beef really.
The power supply issue is hardly and issue with most owners. It is not necessary but it adds resiliency and consistency, In my case my house electrical voltage varies considerably. AP's offer to provide a regulated power supply at what is essentially half cost was generous considering the game works without it.
I am a second owner and have gotten great service from AP. While I have had no warranty issues I have received prompt service in other dealings with them. Barry has responded within a few hours whenever I contacted him.
Frankly I don't understand the point of this Houdini bashing. Most owners seem to really like it, my novice friends beg to come over and play it. For those of you who don't like the game Why do you have to be so hateful? I really dislike some of the modern Sterns but instead of publicly bashing Walking Dead and Iron Maiden I just don't bother playing them, keep my mouth shut and move on.
Not everybody is going to like every game but people don't have to be a whiny bitches about it.

I think what's weirdest/least constructive about it, is creating a specific thread to be solely critical of it, and bash it's retail/second hand value? Ideally we all want pinball to succeed and flourish, and I feel AP has jumped into this ring, and went toe to toe, regarding production, quality, and above all....a NON licensed theme, in a genuinely successful manner.

If I had any issue with any manufacturer, it's Stern. Putting 4 games out a year, turns a nice boon, into a glut the market most likely won't be able to sustain for years to come. Ideally, I want a table or two a year from many companies, and cheering on AP, as well as being critical like any other manufacturer...when necessary...is essential in maintaining that balance of production and needed competition.

#292 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Snarf is a character on Thundercats

Well a lot of times it's their first exposure to the game; so setting it up like shit doesn't do anyone any favors.

I don't think that's an entirely invalid point. I'm a very average, sub par player currently, and own Houdini, and I know I'd enjoy it more with shots I could make initially more easily.

That said on the other hand....if I could nail every shot with ease, would I want to own this for long?

Definitely balance is key, and I'm genuinely not skilled enough to gauge where the balance should lie for entry level to higher level players. But at least this is on one side of a scale, possibly, and something like the Munsters or MM or AFM is on the other side of the scale.

#299 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Unfortunately this has greatly contributed to Houdini performance on location - there are 3 Houdini’s on location near me - and all 3 were set up poorly. Not levelled, but also set up too steep, and both obviously have a major effect on performance. I don’t doubt this is common.
AP tried to make the game perfectly set up when all levellers screwed all the way in - but as soon as you have an uneven floor, it gets out of whack. The game is also set up to play at 6 to 6.2 pitch - not 6.5, and that is kinda weird, so I think it gets overloooked by ops

So you screwed yours all the way down? (Not to get too personal!)

#311 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Houdini is a great game and better than IJTPA in my opinion. A lot of whining about tight shots, post hits and rejected shots and geometry. Every single shot can be made from the flippers so this geometry argument is halarious. Just words.
Now let’s take Indiana Jones where there are many many similarities. I’ll argue that the widebody frame that IJ is sitting in is wasted with only 7 real shots. The whole left side of the main playfield could have had another lane or even a cross shot to a subway. That’s another matter though. My point being that the playable area width is nearly identical or close to it. (Actually IJs is narrower than Houdini by quite a bit). The captive ball shot is nearly identical to the stage shot in length, angle and width. IJs right orbit shot is as tight, pop bumpers are pretty much in the same place and very little goes on there besides Indy rollovers. The shot behind the 3 drop target bank frequently gets rejected as well as the mode shot where people have had to modify it with foam and other things. The post hits in IJ are like skipping a rock off a pond where you hit multiples and at least Houdini lets you score points and advance a mode with the posts.
I find Houdini leaps and bounds more interesting yet Indy sits in the top 10. Maybe more that it’s a pop culture icon than a good pinball? Don’t even get me started on the disapointment that is AFM.

This is a really well written comparison! I'd like to hear your thoughts on AFM. I do feel the ratings don't match with my own feelings, and wonder how they've shifted just over the past few years on here. I'm not nearly as much a fan of the top three on this board, and often scratch my head at how and why they're all rated so highly. They all feel very much, in your face, not just with presentation, but also gameplay and modes.

#314 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not sure if you’ve played a lot of AFM. I had not played a lot before buying AFM on reputation and recomdation.
Basically (many) games share a similar layout 2 loops, two side ramps. I mean AcDc, Met, IM etc. games differ in places but the orbits and ramps are fairly similar.
AFM seems nothing special but has a third ramp/diverter that effectively creates two different shots in place of typical one shot AFM thus has two scoops, three ramps, two orbits and center drop bank in a standard not crowded layout.
I’m not saying AFM is alone in making more shots fit in a standard game area other games like Tron fit a third ramp and inner loop shot into the mix by adding a third flipper.
Anyway the shots/geometry all work on AFM there’s not a bad feeling shot to be found. But the genius of AFM is the code, how it can make a simple 3 shots to the ramp or three shots to the orbit or 50 hits of the pop bumpers makes all these basic things seem important and eventful. If you’re not impressed with 3 shots to the ramp or orbits being that big of a deal (one shot hurry up) you can work on combining 2,3,4 shot hurry ups together into a grand hurry up. Heck even to make a 5-way conbo is important and something you notice every time you hit 2,3,4 way combo you are cognizant of the 5-way combo. That’s not all but there are countless ways to put a game of AFM together as you work towards Rule The Universe.
AFM is so basic, not cluttered like MM or some other pins. You can almost see everything in front of you. It’s a masterpiece of precision and simplicity.

You feel MM is cluttered in comparison?

That's a great write-up also! I'm going to look back and forth at what you've written here, while playing some on my Switch. Not a great direct comparison, but I'd like to see what you're referring to more regarding this third ramp/diverter aspect.

I've usually found playing AFM is so aggressive call out wise, and pop art wise, that I can't find the depth past that, with all of the combo shots and layout methodologies you've mentioned here. I'm not a great player, mind you, and my technique certainly doesn't allow for enjoyment past superficiality I'm afraid at times.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
HurryUpPinball

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 113.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-talk-about-taking-a-nose-dive-?tu=wesman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.