ch.gif
So many bricks-you could build a wall.jpg
Shooting bricks.png
061B600C-3EB0-44A1-B3DA-C32CD54636C8 (resized).jpeg
jerk (resized).jpg
E44AF033-4ECE-4483-B6EC-6B33CDCA9750 (resized).jpeg
0745FBEE-5C69-4C04-A444-DD191229B490 (resized).jpeg
988992F0-9E09-4EDB-A107-94362ACD7929 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcademojo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Although there are a small few things people quibble with on Houdini (fonts, animations, chipping playfield near scoops, etc), there is honestly only one real flaw with Houdini - shots are too tight/geometry is off. Were this single thing not a problem Houdini would be an all time great game - it has the code, rules, immersion, lights, art, mechs, etc. Some players just hate how it shoots (they’re right about it not being an A+ shooter) but then see other problems that are really marginal at best. For example, it’s silly to say a catapult shot across the play field is boring because it’s been done before (certainly it hasn’t been done as impressively before), when Stern layouts are copied over and over again.

100% agreed. The shots being too tight is the only thing really concerning about the game. Everything else is just nitpicking.
Being their first game and having it done from scratch in about 6 months was a fantastic job. Can’t wait to play their second game.

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Pinball is the only “high-end” hobby I am aware of where the prevailing expectation seems to be to “have the cake and eat it too”! For example, no one in the audiophile or astronomy hobbies (where lots of stuff costs as much or more than a NIB pin and is equally frivolous in the grand scheme of things) expects to break even, let alone profit, from the sale of anything they bought NIB.

My take on this is because pinball is limited. Yeah, I know people rant and rave that 500 LE's isn't really limited yet alone 20,000 Flash machines. But in reality all pinball is limited. It is limited by how many produced, what area you live in. Time of year, how many people want to sell their games, How far you are willing to drive, how much you want to spend on shipping or if you are even willing to buy sight unseen. How much you can spend on a game. And last but not least, what's actually for sale. Simply put, Supply and demand.

Lets take a look at "Flash" 20,000 produced. I've decided I want one. Just checked the market and 0 are for sale. This is exactly what I mean. LIMITED!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#177 5 years ago

Bobble post.

1 week later
#270 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

As someone who was considering going after an Oktoberfest, that thread was enough to steer me away from API for the time being. I'd rather spend my money with more established companies.

LOL. If that one thread makes you change your mind about buying from a company. You haven’t been around long then. Just dig up any of the old Ghostbusters playfield threads. You’ll never buy another Stern again.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Did Stern not send out new playfields, free of charge?

It was a roll of the dice. Some did some didn't. And this was many people not just one thread.

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Just Ghostbusters? Stern has a track record of nib headaches. Chicago Coin has its own history, newest being the cab decals tearing buddies nib mb tore within days of opening. Their solution? Send a new decal that he can install himself... JJP had plenty of problems too (WOZ playfields that flaked, lightboard issues, etc). Just about every manufacturer has some negative press in their past.
That said, I'd buy from AP, Spooky, or JJP at this point. Will not touch a new stern with a 10 foot pole. Would rather let someone else buy one, give it a year or two to know it doesn't have issues. Stern can go stuff themselves. Chicago coin is too hit or miss (mmr playfields with too little black ink, tearing cab decals).

Nope, not "just Ghostbusters" Was on my cell phone so didn't want to type out a encyclopedia of all the faults from every manufacturer for the 20 years since I've been in the hobby. Yes there were many, many things and times where people were told to go pound sand. Many, many issues from ((((ALL)))) manufacturers with NIB and there still are. Just kills me hearing people trying to judge a company from a handful of others that complained about something. I look at it this way, 90% of the buyers that are satisfied with their purchase will not take the time to make a thread to praise the game. But 90% of dis-satisfied customers will.

PS. lets not forget the MMRLE razor sharp side rails and clear chipping where they sent you a piece of sand paper and a small bottle of clear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NH
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 113.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 64.99
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcademojo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-talk-about-taking-a-nose-dive-?tu=arcademojo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.