ch.gif
So many bricks-you could build a wall.jpg
Shooting bricks.png
061B600C-3EB0-44A1-B3DA-C32CD54636C8 (resized).jpeg
jerk (resized).jpg
E44AF033-4ECE-4483-B6EC-6B33CDCA9750 (resized).jpeg
0745FBEE-5C69-4C04-A444-DD191229B490 (resized).jpeg
988992F0-9E09-4EDB-A107-94362ACD7929 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Does anyone know how many Houdini's were produced? As people continue to flock to this hobby I think houdini prices will rebound. I'd certainly throw 5k at a houdini before a wh20 or fathom.

AP isn’t saying, but there has been speculation (possibly based on no factual info, so grain of salt here) that it’s 500+.

That’s too many to take on the glamour of a small run game like CC, BBB, or Alien, but since those usually turn out to be kinda disappointing at least people have gotten to play it!

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Poor Houdini can't even get bashed properly in it's own thread..
Every thread anymore turns into Stern vs JJP. Even a Houdini bash thread.
Houdini was a pretty game, my wife liked it, I couldn't stand the long animations. I could see it in a bigger collection at the right price.

Butch - how long did you own the Houdini? It must have been a year ago

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Houdini's averaging about one mention per page in this thread. At least we've moved on from JJP v. Stern to a meta-analysis of the cargument.

There’s no debate - some people saw it once and got a brick or heard a little rattle and got scared off. Others actually played the game

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Now, what is this thread about again? What kind of car Houdini used to go to JJP to pick up his new Hobbit?

JJP is doing a Houdini too?!

1 week later
#195 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

AP also has a very rigid warranty period. Outside that period, you are SOL. Stern will often go outside their 60 day warranty on a case by case basis.

Does Stern honor warranty for second owners? AFAIK it is not transferrable

#201 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Sorry, JJP isn't analogous to a BMW.
WoZ had many poor electrical engineering design decisions that actually made it to market.
Pirates had to have the cornerstone mech removed from the design because they couldn't figure out the engineering.
That is a vast difference from BMW having a team of engineers dedicated to just the sounds their cars make.

Alternate way to say this: stuff happens when you engineer new designs. Sometimes they have to change. cargument: https://www.hotcars.com/10-problems-every-bmw-owner-should-know-about-and-10-for-audi-owners/

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I don't have a lot of time playing Houdini (and don't own it) but did play it a few times at shows. I consider myself a decent "player" although I don't play in tournaments. That being said there were at least 2 shots that were nearly impossible to hit reliably. It was like going to a carnival trying to knock all the milk bottles over. Speed ahead to this thread (2 years later) and its interesting to hear people talking about geometry.
RZ has a few weirdo "X" targets on the upper right that used in a few timed modes. 1 you can kinda-sorta hit but if its not perfect it bricks out. The other target is just not possible to hit with a flipper. You have to rely on a random sling to ricochet into it.
Super frustrating and I sold my RZ - not just for those targets but a plethora of other things.
My learning experience from this was not to pre-order or buy a new game from a new company. There's always a show to play these games prior to plopping down 7-large for the newest toy. If you buy new you will loose some money reselling down the road. No one expects to loose 2 grand on a game that is still in production.

There are 2 shots you have to change your approach to in order to his reliably - the “milk can” shot requires a VERY light touch of the button right at the end of the right flipper. It is HARD, and the game rewards you for hitting it.

The other I imagine you are referring to is the inner loop shot - this one just seems way harder than it is

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I had seven consecutive three-year leases on BMW convertibles, the last of which ended this month. In that period of time, I also BOUGHT two used BMWs, an M3 and a 645--both also convertibles. Given my profession, I have dozens of colleagues with BMWs and came to know many of these cars, as well. My take: BMWs are STELLAR during the first three years. BMWs are TERRIBLE during years 4-6 or 7. After that, they seem to settle down and become at least acceptable risks until their death at twenty years old, or more.

I’m curious why you chose to lease vs buying? Did you get favorable rates on it, or was it the convenience factor?

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

But unfortunately, sometimes thats the way its done...

Unfortunately this has greatly contributed to Houdini performance on location - there are 3 Houdini’s on location near me - and all 3 were set up poorly. Not levelled, but also set up too steep, and both obviously have a major effect on performance. I don’t doubt this is common.

AP tried to make the game perfectly set up when all levellers screwed all the way in - but as soon as you have an uneven floor, it gets out of whack. The game is also set up to play at 6 to 6.2 pitch - not 6.5, and that is kinda weird, so I think it gets overloooked by ops

#303 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So you screwed yours all the way down? (Not to get too personal!)

lol - well my floor isn't level, so no - but I did raise them up a touch, so I think i'm at 6.2 or 6.3. I can't remember now, it's been 6 months or so - but I think screwed all the way in is at 6

#313 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

You make a very valid point here.

Absolutely-

Quoted from meSz:

You think it's the geometry? I've had the game few weeks now and feel its just the entrances to the loops/shots. When I look at my other games the loops and ramps have a wider opening at the mouth whereas Houdini doesn't. This makes for a harder shot (imo) as well as bounce outs (especially the Milk Can).
I actually like the game but certainly understand people's gripes with it. These "flaws" keep this game from being a great game!
Look forward to Oktoberfest and Houdini is not going anywhere as I still like it!

It can help TONS that you position the small blue targets around the ramp and inner loop precisely. You can sort of tilt them out of the way, or re-align them by unscrewing from below the playfield. Just normal factory tweaking stuff, but it’s crucial on this game since there are so many close shots.

Just played MB and Houdini back to back . Both rule!

#319 5 years ago
Quoted from PrinzFred:

Think back to the early 2000s when Stern was the sole supplier putting out fairly cheap, clip art games . . .
We can all complain and I am one of them . . .
Am I upset at Stern, that my home Star Wars LE does not have a real backglass, lighted side rails, etc. and board burned out due to a code update, my Star Wars Premium looks weak next to the Star Trek Premium by its side in my arcade, Ghostbusters has unfinished code, Iron Maiden / Batman Coil Stops needed to be replaced after a few thousand plays because they are crappy . . .
Or at Jersey Jack because my Wizard of Oz sat in the back of the arcade waiting for parts weeks on end or the POTC CE has had more issues (auto fire, broken springs, etc.) than you can shake a stick at . . .
Am I disappointed that my Houdini is worth less than I paid for it? Not really . . .
My point is that a rising tide raises all ships. We now have multiple suppliers each pushing each other to do great things.
I purchased Houdini, because I loved that AP (Josh) was the only vendor really present at the Denver Show that was willing to interact with the public. I loved that they interacted on pinside with code / repair issues. Have I had a few challenges out of the box or been frustrated with the game? Sure. But, it is a beautiful game with great powder coat, toys, challenge, light show, code, etc.
I also took the challenge that "the game is too tough". I feel I'm a better than average player and felt that learning to make tight shots would make me a better player (it has). There are tons of ways to play this game and it is loads of fun. I sold my Theatre of Magic (got bored fast) for this game and do not regret it all.
Perhaps I could have waited and purchased a 2nd hand one cheaper. Buy as a collector and arcade operator, I'm happy to support a company pushing the limits and trying new things. Long live Pinball

Nice to See some major positivity here.. not
Just for Houdini, but in general!
Some

#340 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

You want to talk nose dive... look at the people asking for $18,000 for a cactus canyon. When Chicago comes out with this game sometime THIS YEAR, then you'll see the real nose dive.
3 Months ago people still asked over 10k for their original Monster Bash's now you can't sell those for 5 or 6. Consider CC code wasn't really complete and the new game will probably have better code, color screen, wider screen, what do you think is going to happen to the value of the originals?
Can we say NOSE DIVE? I'm think original CC will end up in the 5k range.

Unfortunately the remakes are going to end up at that 5k range too.. that game is just not that fun. Certainly nowhere near MB, MM, AFM.. or even TOM!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 113.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lucxor

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 64.99
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-talk-about-taking-a-nose-dive-?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.