ch.gif
So many bricks-you could build a wall.jpg
Shooting bricks.png
061B600C-3EB0-44A1-B3DA-C32CD54636C8 (resized).jpeg
jerk (resized).jpg
E44AF033-4ECE-4483-B6EC-6B33CDCA9750 (resized).jpeg
0745FBEE-5C69-4C04-A444-DD191229B490 (resized).jpeg
988992F0-9E09-4EDB-A107-94362ACD7929 (resized).jpeg
There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

If any modern game came out with a left outlane like a factory STTNG has they would be crucified. I still can't believe they let that out of the factory. Even Steve Ritchie recommends modifying the outlane.

bobukcat brought the up STTNG comparison not me.

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I’m all about convenience. Pay for only gas and tires. Get a convenient quick BMW loaner every service appointment. And after 3 years, it’s Not My Problem. I like a new car often. And if I want to buy the damn thing, I still can, but depreciation also isn’t my problem. The fact that I never bought one off-lease would indicate that BMW lost every depreciation “bet,” which is part of every lease.

Yes I see what you are saying.

Now with pins I feel the best value is to get a 1 year old or so, HUO game from a collector/player who knows how to take care of their games. Any tweaks have been likely taken care off, game is more proven and I get a discount also.

With cars I usually purchase my higher end vehicles when they are preowned 1 1/2 - 2 years old, since they have a couple years or more left on warranty and I can get a hefty amount off of MSRP new. I will keep better track of the repairs made during the “danger zone” you mentioned of owning from years 4-6 to try to get to the better feel of ice that time and see how the value of years of 7+ years is during ownership. I will look to see if those years are worth it and also in the future, look at the cost of leasing, which I have never done before. Maybe 1-2 year preowned makes sense or maybe not.

And yes - Cars are not pins and are hard to compare!!

#253 5 years ago

To me it's build like a JJP, coded like Sterns finest and shoots like a Spooky

#254 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

If any modern game came out with a left outlane like a factory STTNG has they would be crucified. I still can't believe they let that out of the factory. Even Steve Ritchie recommends modifying the outlane.

I agree with your first point but disagree that is should be modified, did I mention that I must really like torture?

#255 5 years ago

I agree—shoots like a spooky. Not a good thing (TNA excepted)

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

bobukcat brought the up STTNG comparison not me.

I actually only compared one shot (the Borg lock) on STTNG, not the entire game - they are so different in style and play there is no other comparison other than many find it to be very difficult too.

#257 5 years ago

well we can all see that the number one priority in any game is the ability for the player to make the shots. That trumps everything else. the game has everything but the ability to play. same with magic girl. looks great but it is broken.

#258 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

well we can all see that the number one priority in any game is the ability for the player to make the shots. That trumps everything else. the game has everything but the ability to play. same with magic girl. looks great but it is broken.

This game is fully working and coded. It just has difficult shots. Comparing to magic girl is a slap in the face to the hard work the AP team put into this game. Completely unfair.

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This game is fully working and coded. It just has difficult shots. Comparing to magic girl is a slap in the face to the hard work the AP team put into this game. Completely unfair.

Amen, and no one was scammed out of any $$ by AP either - totally unfair comparison.

#260 5 years ago

For the occassional pinball player Houdini is a very difficult game to play. If you love deep code and challenging shots you will enjoy it. When my wife (occassional pinball player) and I went to recently play one on location she just couldn't get into it as the shots are so close together. She can play WOZ, Star Trek, Hobbit, Monster Bash, etc and at least make some shots in those games. By the time we stopped playing she said "I'm glad you didn't buy that game"....

The animation quality could also be better and some feel like they drag on a bit too much. Build quality on the game is incredible and the powder coat seems very well done. Personally I like the challenge Houdini offers and can still see picking one up down the road when I have room for more pins.

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I had seven consecutive three-year leases on BMW convertibles, the last of which ended this month. In that period of time, I also BOUGHT two used BMWs, an M3 and a 645--both also convertibles. Given my profession, I have dozens of colleagues with BMWs and came to know many of these cars, as well. My take: BMWs are STELLAR during the first three years. BMWs are TERRIBLE during years 4-6 or 7. After that, they seem to settle down and become at least acceptable risks until their death at twenty years old, or more.

I have not had the luck with BMW I have had with Mercedes Benz.

2012 335d - had seat belt failures all the way until they made it a lemon.

2014 535d - turbo blown 2x less than 50k miles

Both great to drive, incredible mpg and I loved the overall experience but....

2015 MB GL 350d - 178,000 miles only wear items replaced. One CV boot on air suspension replaced. That's it.

2016 MB GL 350d- 100k miles, nothing but routine maintenance so far

2018 G65 - not many miles, no issue yet. First gas MB so we will see.

Either way, point is everyone has their own experiences, including with the Houdini pinball. I personally think it looks great. People play it on location consistently. It's not the top earner at any location and it was only for a short time when it was first released. It has only had one issue for me on one machine that was fixed in 4 hours. 1 issue on 1 game out of 4 units. Overall im happy. I guess I don't look at the resale side and I understand why home collectors do. If you are not going to like losing money on a game, this is not the title for you.

#262 5 years ago

That much is true. No ripoff with AP and everything is VERY well done except the geometry. I’m still a fan of AP and, upon reports that Oktoberfest is more playable, will buy one.

#263 5 years ago

All this bashing of Houdini being so difficult...yeah, the shots are "challenging"...keeps me coming back for more, improves my "marksmanship" and Lord knows, I need it...I play the game often and expect it will reside in my collection for quite some time. As to the animation...in my opinion it is spot on perfect. It reflects the animation of the time Houdini existed...obviously this was intentional. I think Houdini is a good machine, I like it...it has a lot going on.

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

All this bashing of Houdini being so difficult

Some people have pointed out that Houdini has tight, difficult shots. I don't see anyone in this thread bashing Houdini for being too difficult. This strawman stuff really needs to stop, because it doesn't help anyone.

Some people simply don't like this game despite it having several virtues that have also been discussed at great length. Based on the game's sales, that's most people.

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Anyway I don't have a BMW now but my 4 year, 4 month old Audi with 30,000 miles (yes I don't drive a lot) had an airbag fail last week and cost me $850. Didn't blow or anything. The airbag light came on. Yeah. So you can see where I am coming from on German "quality" from a higher priced vehicle. But I love my Audi so I just pay and move on.

Oh yeah. I won't buy another BMW. Lease one maybe. I've had this one for 15 years and like you I don't drive that much it has 180K on it but its fading fast. The last couple years have been expensive. I just don't see the anaolgy with JJP vs Stern. Who cares anyway.

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Some people have pointed out that Houdini has tight, difficult shots. I don't see anyone in this thread bashing Houdini for being too difficult. This strawman stuff really needs to stop, because it doesn't help anyone.
Some people simply don't like this game despite it having several virtues that have also been discussed at great length. Based on the game's sales, that's most people.

Well someone did compare it Magic Girl, if that's not bashing I don't know what is, LOL!

#267 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Well someone did compare it Magic Girl, if that's not bashing I don't know what is, LOL!

Fair enough

(But the point is really about bashing it for being too difficult.)

#268 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Ok, "bashing" may have been the wrong word to use...I am just following the comments and many comments are about how tight/difficult the shots are or how bad the geometry is...there have been many posters who have mentioned this...hard not to see this as a negative. The whole point of my post was to show MY support for Houdini despite these comments.

#269 5 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

Ok, "bashing" may have been the wrong word to use...I am just following the comments and many comments are about how tight/difficult the shots are or how bad the geometry is...there have been many posters who have mentioned this...hard not to see this as a negative. The whole point of my post was to show MY support for Houdini despite these comments.

Thumbs up to all that.

While it's hard to see a game you like bashed repeatedly, the only people that this doesn't happen to are people with boring cookie cutter taste. I don't like Houdini, but there are lots of games I like enough to own that most people here would feel the same way about as I do about Houdini.

#270 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

As someone who was considering going after an Oktoberfest, that thread was enough to steer me away from API for the time being. I'd rather spend my money with more established companies.

LOL. If that one thread makes you change your mind about buying from a company. You haven’t been around long then. Just dig up any of the old Ghostbusters playfield threads. You’ll never buy another Stern again.

#271 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

LOL. If that one thread makes you change your mind about buying from a company. You haven’t been around long then. Just dig up any of the old Ghostbusters playfield threads. You’ll never buy another Stern again.

Did Stern not send out new playfields, free of charge?

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

In many cases. It was solely up to them as to what they decided to replace.

#273 5 years ago

Pinball is not an investment, buy the game because you like the game, not because of money.

#274 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

In many cases. It was solely up to them as to what they decided to replace.

Correct. Second owners were not permitted to get replacements. First owners damage had to reach a certain threshold before replacement. Some people did not get theirs replaced.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

It was a roll of the dice. Some did some didn't. And this was many people not just one thread.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Yes I see what you are saying.
Now with pins I feel the best value is to get a 1 year old or so, HUO game from a collector/player who knows how to take care of their games. Any tweaks have been likely taken care off, game is more proven and I get a discount also.

I actually second this. A good example is RZ. Playing it on route or the ones I have had before tweaking, it was not pretty. Right now I am still trying to tweak my vuk shot as the ball is airballing off the small jump ramp and bouncing off the wireform back down the orbit on a solid hit. Pre and post tweaking the game goes from a dud to a very competent machine. In addition the single biggest change is just dialing in the audio as the factory speakers/amp are beyond what anyone else uses.

Quoted from arcademojo:

Just Ghostbusters? Stern has a track record of nib headaches. Chicago Coin has its own history, newest being the cab decals tearing buddies nib mb tore within days of opening. Their solution? Send a new decal that he can install himself... JJP had plenty of problems too (WOZ playfields that flaked, lightboard issues, etc). Just about every manufacturer has some negative press in their past.

That said, I'd buy from AP, Spooky, or JJP at this point. Will not touch a new stern with a 10 foot pole. Would rather let someone else buy one, give it a year or two to know it doesn't have issues. Stern can go stuff themselves. Chicago coin is too hit or miss (mmr playfields with too little black ink, tearing cab decals).

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Nope. I see casuals hitting them all the time on the route machine because they do not have the muscle memory that is messing up the shot for experienced players shooting for where their ingrained memory tells them the fan shot should be. More experience is actually an impediment on Houdini. Casuals that play it exclusively on the route I help with do quite well on it.

I had my best game on Houdini when I wasn't really trying...I was kind of casually playing while talking to a friend...and I was just hitting every shot, the milk can shot over and over, and had a 15 min game and got Grand Champion.

#278 5 years ago

I think I'll start a car thread and see if some pinball related material gets posted in it...

#279 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

There have been a few threads on the subject. The way they handled the power supply issue is pretty lame. And then there was this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-not-standing-behind-houdini-
API doubled down more than once on their rigid policy on that thread.
Barry's response is literally the definition of rigid. I've personally had experiences with Stern replacing parts on a second owner game, 2 years after manufacture. I know other people who have also.
[quoted image]

I totally disagree with your accusations. Whats your beef really.

The power supply issue is hardly and issue with most owners. It is not necessary but it adds resiliency and consistency, In my case my house electrical voltage varies considerably. AP's offer to provide a regulated power supply at what is essentially half cost was generous considering the game works without it.

I am a second owner and have gotten great service from AP. While I have had no warranty issues I have received prompt service in other dealings with them. Barry has responded within a few hours whenever I contacted him.

Frankly I don't understand the point of this Houdini bashing. Most owners seem to really like it, my novice friends beg to come over and play it. For those of you who don't like the game Why do you have to be so hateful? I really dislike some of the modern Sterns but instead of publicly bashing Walking Dead and Iron Maiden I just don't bother playing them, keep my mouth shut and move on.

Not everybody is going to like every game but people don't have to be a whiny bitches about it.

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Not everybody is going to like every game but people don't have to be a whiny bitches about it.

Have you really been on Pinside for 3 years?

#281 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I totally disagree with your accusations. Whats your beef really.
The power supply issue is hardly and issue with most owners. It is not necessary but it adds resiliency and consistency, In my case my house electrical voltage varies considerably. AP's offer to provide a regulated power supply at what is essentially half cost was generous considering the game works without it.
I am a second owner and have gotten great service from AP. While I have had no warranty issues I have received prompt service in other dealings with them. Barry has responded within a few hours whenever I contacted him.
Frankly I don't understand the point of this Houdini bashing. Most owners seem to really like it, my novice friends beg to come over and play it. For those of you who don't like the game Why do you have to be so hateful? I really dislike some of the modern Sterns but instead of publicly bashing Walking Dead and Iron Maiden I just don't bother playing them, keep my mouth shut and move on.

I think what's weirdest/least constructive about it, is creating a specific thread to be solely critical of it, and bash it's retail/second hand value? Ideally we all want pinball to succeed and flourish, and I feel AP has jumped into this ring, and went toe to toe, regarding production, quality, and above all....a NON licensed theme, in a genuinely successful manner.

If I had any issue with any manufacturer, it's Stern. Putting 4 games out a year, turns a nice boon, into a glut the market most likely won't be able to sustain for years to come. Ideally, I want a table or two a year from many companies, and cheering on AP, as well as being critical like any other manufacturer...when necessary...is essential in maintaining that balance of production and needed competition.

#282 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Quoted from TheLaw:

Have you really been on Pinside for 3 years?

Yeah, you clearly don’t understand what goes on around here.

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

and I feel AP has jumped into this ring, and went toe to toe, regarding production, quality, and above all....a NON licensed theme, in a genuinely successful manner. .

Everybody says they want NON licensed themes and then they don't buy them.

#284 5 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Yeah, you clearly don’t understand what goes on around here.

I generally ignore the bitch threads and and hang out on the tech side of this forum, But I have a personal interest in Houdini.

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's because "Everybody" are older pinball fans who love the older games, and would never spend NIB money on a pin. They wanna put quarters in one, sure...but they're not buyers.

#286 5 years ago

202 pinsiders have Houdini on their wish list.

#287 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These same people say to do something different!

Kill the fan layout!

Make the balls out of cheddar!

Lol

I guess bashing on Houdini after you played 1 ball on it at a show on crooked concrete with 95v fluctuating power and beta code is important for some...

Houdini is amazing, fun and very playable. It gets more play than any other game in my small collection.

People look forward to coming over just to play it.

My game plays really smooth.

So bash away! It makes me chuckle.

API and team have performed a miracle of speed and design.

@barryj and @rosh have been unbelievably helpful and attentive.
They approach pinball with professionalism, passion and humor.

API is fortunate to have them.

Houdini is truly a classic and stands on its own.

Love it or hate it, it's a great game.

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Just Ghostbusters? Stern has a track record of nib headaches. Chicago Coin has its own history, newest being the cab decals tearing buddies nib mb tore within days of opening. Their solution? Send a new decal that he can install himself... JJP had plenty of problems too (WOZ playfields that flaked, lightboard issues, etc). Just about every manufacturer has some negative press in their past.
That said, I'd buy from AP, Spooky, or JJP at this point. Will not touch a new stern with a 10 foot pole. Would rather let someone else buy one, give it a year or two to know it doesn't have issues. Stern can go stuff themselves. Chicago coin is too hit or miss (mmr playfields with too little black ink, tearing cab decals).

Nope, not "just Ghostbusters" Was on my cell phone so didn't want to type out a encyclopedia of all the faults from every manufacturer for the 20 years since I've been in the hobby. Yes there were many, many things and times where people were told to go pound sand. Many, many issues from ((((ALL)))) manufacturers with NIB and there still are. Just kills me hearing people trying to judge a company from a handful of others that complained about something. I look at it this way, 90% of the buyers that are satisfied with their purchase will not take the time to make a thread to praise the game. But 90% of dis-satisfied customers will.

PS. lets not forget the MMRLE razor sharp side rails and clear chipping where they sent you a piece of sand paper and a small bottle of clear.

#289 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I think what's weirdest/least constructive about it, is creating a specific thread to be solely critical of it, and bash it's retail/second hand value? Ideally we all want pinball to succeed and flourish, and I feel AP has jumped into this ring, and went toe to toe, regarding production, quality, and above all....a NON licensed theme, in a genuinely successful manner.

Agree

#290 5 years ago

What does "snarf" mean in this context?

#291 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

What does "snarf" mean in this context?

Snarf is a character on Thundercats

Quoted from pinballinreno:

I guess bashing on Houdini after you played 1 ball on it at a show on crooked concrete with 95v fluctuating power and beta code is important for some...

Well a lot of times it's their first exposure to the game; so setting it up like shit doesn't do anyone any favors.

#292 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well a lot of times it's their first exposure to the game; so setting it up like shit doesn't do anyone any favors.

I don't think that's an entirely invalid point. I'm a very average, sub par player currently, and own Houdini, and I know I'd enjoy it more with shots I could make initially more easily.

That said on the other hand....if I could nail every shot with ease, would I want to own this for long?

Definitely balance is key, and I'm genuinely not skilled enough to gauge where the balance should lie for entry level to higher level players. But at least this is on one side of a scale, possibly, and something like the Munsters or MM or AFM is on the other side of the scale.

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

But unfortunately, sometimes thats the way its done...

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

But unfortunately, sometimes thats the way its done...

Unfortunately this has greatly contributed to Houdini performance on location - there are 3 Houdini’s on location near me - and all 3 were set up poorly. Not levelled, but also set up too steep, and both obviously have a major effect on performance. I don’t doubt this is common.

AP tried to make the game perfectly set up when all levellers screwed all the way in - but as soon as you have an uneven floor, it gets out of whack. The game is also set up to play at 6 to 6.2 pitch - not 6.5, and that is kinda weird, so I think it gets overloooked by ops

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The game is also set up to play at 6 to 6.2 pitch

zzz...

#296 5 years ago

Well ....... I guess its not only this game .

Munsters pros have been up quicker than a McDs burger hot off the grill

That, and there loaded with extras for about 4800. WTF !!!

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Well ....... I guess it now only this game .
Munsters pros have been up quicker than a McDs burger hot off the grill
That, and there loaded with extras for about 4800. WTF !!!

This is what happens when people buy games without playing it.

#298 5 years ago

Houdini just looked so cool I had to buy one. Munsters was a huge let down for me after the pics and B/W Prem were released.

Now they say the codes fairly complete. No frgn way !!!

#299 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Unfortunately this has greatly contributed to Houdini performance on location - there are 3 Houdini’s on location near me - and all 3 were set up poorly. Not levelled, but also set up too steep, and both obviously have a major effect on performance. I don’t doubt this is common.
AP tried to make the game perfectly set up when all levellers screwed all the way in - but as soon as you have an uneven floor, it gets out of whack. The game is also set up to play at 6 to 6.2 pitch - not 6.5, and that is kinda weird, so I think it gets overloooked by ops

So you screwed yours all the way down? (Not to get too personal!)

#300 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So you screwed yours all the way down? (Not to get too personal!)

Thats how API recommends the setup.

6.0 to 6.2 degres.
Im at about 6.1 right now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-talk-about-taking-a-nose-dive-/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.