ch.gif
So many bricks-you could build a wall.jpg
Shooting bricks.png
061B600C-3EB0-44A1-B3DA-C32CD54636C8 (resized).jpeg
jerk (resized).jpg
E44AF033-4ECE-4483-B6EC-6B33CDCA9750 (resized).jpeg
0745FBEE-5C69-4C04-A444-DD191229B490 (resized).jpeg
988992F0-9E09-4EDB-A107-94362ACD7929 (resized).jpeg

There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 5 years ago

Brand NIB Houdini on facebooks pinball machines for sale at a 1k loss

Price is 6k for anyone looking for one.

#2 5 years ago

Couple used ones as low as 5k on here.

Saturated market is a buyers market and if a game is no good then it will tank hard as there are just too many other better choices.

See thundercats resale.

Even good games such as afmrle are as low as 7k used.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Couple used ones as low as 5k on here.
Saturated market is a buyers market and if a game is no good then it will tank hard as there are just too many other better choices.
See thundercats resale.
Even good games such as afmrle are as low as 7k used.

Thundercats would be awesome...

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Snarf

#5 5 years ago

Yep, not saying this is the "bubble" by any means, but the new-used game market is definitely taking a bit of a hit.

#6 5 years ago

I don’t have fun playing it. So my sample size of 1 says of course it’s going to tank. If you put almost any newer Stern Pro against it, I’ll walk up to the Stern every time.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yeah it would!

#8 5 years ago

Man thundercats would be awesome.

You're going to see more and more of this price reduction.

Unfortunately the only producers of solid games in the current market are Stern and CGC. I think those two will continue to hold the most value.
All the others produced overpriced junk. The market is speaking.
You'll see 6k pirates next year.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Man thundercats would be awesome.
You're going to see more and more of this price reduction.
Unfortunately the only producers of solid games in the current market are Stern and CGC. I think those two will continue to hold the most value.
All the others produced overpriced junk. The market is speaking.
You'll see 6k pirates next year.

Jjp has consistently held a very high value

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

A used woz is at least 2 grand less than a NIB Woz.

But let's stay focused - this thread is to rag on Houdini.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Except for Hobbit. It took a hit once people played it for a while and realized it wasn't good. The newer code has helped, but it's still the worst resale of all the JJPs.

#12 5 years ago

Which is still above 6k

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Which is still above 6k

And cost $2k more than Houdini new. Nothing to brag about. A bigger drop.

#14 5 years ago

The point I’m making is ya ain’t seeing potc jjp in a year at 6k. Period.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

jjPotC isn't the crappy Hobbit. But even acknowledging that, it's hard to make your statement definitively. We're definitely getting to a saturation point on new pins that is starting to affect the used market pricing.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

If they were folks would not be buying them at 9k

#17 5 years ago

My statement is definitive. Set your calendar and pm me in a year. Now back to the regularly scheduled Houdini shitfest

#18 5 years ago

Probably gonna trade mine for Oktoberfest. I really like American Pinball. Their attention to detail is great and their customer service is top notch. Unfortunately, Houdini wasn’t the premier they wanted, but I still have high hopes for their future

#19 5 years ago

I’m a buyer at $5k ... with the current US/NZ exchange rate, that’s about where I am.

Anyone wants to sell ... hit me up.

Only catch .. machine needs to get to Los Angeles, Elizabeth New Jersey, Savanna, or Houston where I ship out of. Happy to pay for gas.

PS obviously, we like the game, or we wouldn’t want one.

PSS Hobbit has tanked way more than Houdini.

PSSS as the market gets completely over saturated with new games, expect to see this happen with pretty much every title. Only so much money to go around.

rd

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Word.

Quoted from rotordave:

PSSS as the market gets completely over saturated with new games, expect to see this happen with pretty much every title. Only so much money to go around.
rd

Plus, if Deeproot isn't actually a disaster it will only accelerate this trend by adding even more pins to the annual mix. We're talking like 12 or so new pins a year (spitballing: 4 Stern (cornerstone+vault), 2 JJP, 2 AP, 1-2 Spooky, 1 CGC, 2 Deeproot), which is way too much for the current base IMO.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

There are only so many buyers at 9k. It will reach saturation and those buyers will want to dump the game. They're worth 8k used max now and more realistically 7500 if you want a quick sale which is still a chunk of change for most people. 6k is a definite reality. There are a lot more people that can afford pros than premiums and LEs and I don't think most buyers would see one JJP being worth 1.75 Stern Pros. The economics don't make sense.

#22 5 years ago

If you think Stern pro is in the same class as JJP, then that is where we will have to stop and just agree to disagree. Just because it is a pinball doesn't make each worth the same. That's like trying to sell a used Lexus at the used Toyota price.

At 7k a jjpotc will sell like hotcakes. Which is why you will never see the 6k regularly by next year.

#23 5 years ago

If you think Stern pro is in the same class as JJP, then that is where we will have to stop and just agree to disagree. Just because it is a pinball doesn't make each worth the same. That's like trying to sell a used Lexus at the used Toyota price.

Ahhh JJP fanboys always entertaining and usually delusional.

#24 5 years ago

We go threw this every year especially from dec to march/April. Sales tend to slow down but will pick up in spring and summer. Also so many new pins coming out something has to give at some point. Some pins just don't do well on secondary market and some hold pretty strong . Regardless its a great time to be in the market for pins imo

#25 5 years ago

jjPotC isn't the crappy Hobbit.

Sorry you feel this way. Imho I love the Hobbit, it is my most played pin. Always have.

I tried Houdini with little success for my playing ability. When end of ball bonus is a bunch of zero's its tough.

Great we have so many choices for our tastes.

#26 5 years ago

I've been offered twice a n.i.b. Houdini for $5800 and even a straight up trade for my out of box DP pro. Tempting but didnt bite.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Ahhh JJP fanboys always entertaining and usually delusional.

Definitely an owner. Next post is typically "If it sold for 6k it wouldn't matter that I'm losing so much money!! It's bolted to the floor!!"

#28 5 years ago

I find it funny that people will pretend all Stern games are gold, because most are very far from it, and I do mean MOST.

#29 5 years ago

Houdini is fun, especially with the newest software and a few tweaks including the new power supply. It is also really well built, has great sound, music and art. To each his own. Not a top ten pin, but a lot of fun none the less. Price aside, I would rather play Houdini than any DI, TH or WOZ. Not bad for a first offering from AP. And please, do not compare this game to Thunderbirds LOL.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I find it funny that people will pretend all Stern games are gold, because most are very far from it, and I do mean MOST.

Depends what your definition of gold is. The games are fun. They don't have a bunch of dolls glued to them or a bunch of mechs though. Just depends what you value. Another thing is Stern has affordable games that actually work out of the box and get delivered timely.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Another thing is Stern has affordable games that actually work out of the box and get delivered timely.

They are definitely cheaper.

Stern has lots of issues with QC though, most people have to fix at least a couple of things out of the box.

They also are not 100% on timely delivery. Iron Maiden was so popular that many people waited months to get their game. Stern is not immune.

#32 5 years ago

30 posts and nobody has told me I need to be a good player to appreciate Houdini. You guys are slacking.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

They are definitely cheaper.
Stern has lots of issues with QC though, most people have to fix at least a couple of things out of the box.
They also are not 100% on timely delivery. Iron Maiden was so popular that many people waited months to get their game. Stern is not immune.

I agree 100%. I'm not saying they're perfect. I'm saying they're leaps and bounds better.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

30 posts and nobody has told me I need to be a good player to appreciate Houdini. You guys are slacking.

From my viewpoint, you really need to be a good player to appreciate Houdini.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Who pretends Stern games are all gold? and what games are gold for u? very interested.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

They have dialed in Les were 9k now going for 7500
Hobbits were new 9k then go for 6500 huo huge drops

#37 5 years ago

Used to be a $3500 game sold after a year for $1000 or less. So all that’s happening is things are returning to normal with depreciation.

Which is good.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I’m a buyer at $5k ... with the current US/NZ exchange rate, that’s about where I am.
Anyone wants to sell ... hit me up.
Only catch .. machine needs to get to Los Angeles, Elizabeth New Jersey, Savanna, or Houston where I ship out of. Happy to pay for gas.
PS obviously, we like the game, or we wouldn’t want one.
rd

I just sold my hobbit for $7k pretty quickly, and that seems to be an ok going rate for sales. That’s 82.3% of original value. Houdini is at about 85% of original if they are averaging about $6k when it was $7k new. I’d hardly call that tanking “way more than”?

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

There are only so many buyers at 9k. It will reach saturation and those buyers will want to dump the game. They're worth 8k used max now and more realistically 7500 if you want a quick sale which is still a chunk of change for most people. 6k is a definite reality. There are a lot more people that can afford pros than premiums and LEs and I don't think most buyers would see one JJP being worth 1.75 Stern Pros. The economics don't make sense.

POTC LE used are selling for about $9k. So your “worth $8k max” is quite incorrect.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I just sold my hobbit for $7k pretty quickly

Congrats! That’s a good price. I’ve seen them in the high fives. 6s is common. Check out the first page of the archived marketplace.

Nothing against the game - don’t take it personally - it just is what it is.

rd

0745FBEE-5C69-4C04-A444-DD191229B490 (resized).jpeg0745FBEE-5C69-4C04-A444-DD191229B490 (resized).jpeg988992F0-9E09-4EDB-A107-94362ACD7929 (resized).jpeg988992F0-9E09-4EDB-A107-94362ACD7929 (resized).jpegE44AF033-4ECE-4483-B6EC-6B33CDCA9750 (resized).jpegE44AF033-4ECE-4483-B6EC-6B33CDCA9750 (resized).jpeg
#41 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

POTC LE used are selling for about $9k. So your “worth $8k max” is quite incorrect.

Another owner price pumping.

#42 5 years ago

I’ll take an RRWOZ for $6500 someone PM me, as I seem to be missing out on buying all these cheap games!

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Who pretends Stern games are all gold? and what games are gold for u? very interested.

Well let's not forget Stern Beatles Gold edition...

We all know it is rare for any current NIB game to not drop in value in the used market.

This thread is just a troll-ish attempt to disparage Houdini. Nothing more.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Used to be a $3500 game sold after a year for $1000 or less. So all that’s happening is things are returning to normal with depreciation.
Which is good.

100%, people that have only been in the hobby a few years are accustomed to games basically holding all their value when bought nib. That has never been the reality in the past.

I remember when I bought my SM nib in 07, I turned to my buddy as I ripped the box open and said, "here goes $1000".

A $9000 nib game being worth $1500 less after its opened is not a huge loss like some are saying it is but normal depreciation of a product that is no longer new.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I’ll take an RRWOZ for $6500 someone PM me, as I seem to be missing out on buying all these cheap games!

Amen on this. I will sell my ACNC spot if someone wants to sell me their $6500 RR !!!!!!!

#46 5 years ago

Since games are so soft right now does anyone want to make me a smoking deal on there IMDN LE

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Definitely an owner. Next post is typically "If it sold for 6k it wouldn't matter that I'm losing so much money!! It's bolted to the floor!!"

I own zero JJP but enjoyed playing at game shows and other persons homes. Would LOVE to afford a woz or dialed in, I think they are wonderful for the home and the deep code makes me appreciate them than any Stern title put out in recent years. However, I don't like their jjpotc or hobbit, just not my type of theme! I just think JJP puts out a high quality machine at a price premium. That's just how I am so if that makes me a fanboy what can I say?

Also like the Spooky tna + acnc. I put money down on an acnc. But again, if anyone has a $6500 WOZ RR or DI LE they want to sell me, I'll get you cash today and sell my acnc spot!

#48 5 years ago

I reckon there are going to be some bargains to be had over the next couple years. The manufacturers keep pumping out games, the market is getting saturated and the economy is getting wobbly.

#49 5 years ago

I’m really hoping to pick up a Beatles for 4-5k in a year. See where these ones land, especially if distributers dump the last golds for cheap.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I’m really hoping to pick up a Beatles for 4-5k in a year. See where these ones land, especially if distributers dump the last golds for cheap.

I’d buy a Beatles NIB for 5k and sell my Seawitch, that’s my threshold level to want to change out my Seawitch.

I really like American Pinball’s attention to detail and build quality. I hope the company sticks around. Houdini was a great freshman effort, just needed it’s shots engineered a bit better. By game three I think AP will have all their kinks worked out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-talk-about-taking-a-nose-dive- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.