Topic poll

“Which key do you like best”

• a) 3 hole key located at the bottom of the picture 3 votes
    16%
  • b) merged hole key located at the top of the picture 16 votes
    84%

(19 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sequence0038 (resized).jpg
key_Camera4 (resized).jpg
key_Camera2 (resized).jpg
key_Camera_a_i1 (resized).jpg
key_Editor_a (resized).jpg
key_Editor_a.jpg
key.jpg

#1 1 year ago

DISREGARD POLL.

I'm at the point where I need to make a decision as to which of these keys would be produced. The idea would be to get them casted and then plated and then tarnished slightly to match the look and feel. Plunger housing is next (aiming for old block cell lock decal and to plate the housing in brass). So which shooter rod do you like best a) three ring key or b) simple merged hole key. Would be nice also to gauge interest. Feedback is always welcomed. Winning key will get the final touches it needs and truly deserves.

key.jpg

I've revised the key. I've taken some of your comments into consideration. 1in" ball in the middle, and the arc in the front could also be used to pull depending what feel you like the best. Hopefully this will move me closer to a product that people like. Please comment on latest design, spring will come snug to the first bulge in the key. Will also check the cost of brass plating the rod itself.

key_Editor_a (resized).jpg

Other option with a more classic style rod end with some cogs integrated in the key. I really would appreciate some feedback.

#2 1 year ago

No help here, they both look cool!

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

No help here, they both look cool!

Yeah I was debating as the best one for grip to plunge.

#4 1 year ago

Neither, they look uncomfortable to pull as a plunger.

#6 1 year ago

I have a Houdini and I don't think I'll ever replace the stock rod. I'm not a big fan of aftermarket ones. Best of luck to you, I would pick neither.

#7 1 year ago

Can you open a beer with either?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Can you open a beer with either?

You can open beer with anything if you have the will

#9 1 year ago

What about the top one, but with a perpendicular loop to the existing loop as well, so you can pull it like a regular plunger.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

What about the top one, but with a perpendicular loop to the existing loop as well, so you can pull it like a regular plunger.

Yeah from the feedback it will have to be refined.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Neither, they look uncomfortable to pull as a plunger.

This. They look cool, I respect the effort and not trying to be negative, but they look really uncomfortable to grab and put force on. I've bought games from people who've put on weird uncomfortable shooters and I always take them off right away.

Maybe you're thinking you'd insert your fingers to pull back? Dunno how that would feel, but hard to fight people's ingrained methods for reaching out and plunging.

For the amount of work and time you'd put into doing something cool like casting them I'd aim for something that people will feel good holding, that's gonna lead to more success for the effort, imo.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This. They look cool, I respect the effort and not trying to be negative, but they look really uncomfortable to grab and put force on. I've bought games from people who've put on weird uncomfortable shooters and I always take them off right away.
Maybe you're thinking you'd insert your fingers to pull back? Dunno how that would feel, but hard to fight people's ingrained methods for reaching out and plunging.
For the amount of work and time you'd put into doing something cool like casting them I'd aim for something that people will feel good holding, that's gonna lead to more success for the effort, imo.

I totally get it. I though people would dig pulling with their fingers through the loops but...alas.....revisions needed. Constructive criticism is always good

#13 1 year ago

I am a fan of nothing but round smooth balls to better control my release....

#14 1 year ago

I've revised the key. I've taken some of your comments into consideration. 1in" ball in the middle, and the arc in the front could also be used to pull depending what feel you like the best. Hopefully this will move me closer to a product that people like. Please comment on latest design, spring will come snug to the first bulge in the key. Will also check the cost of brass plating the rod itself.

key_Editor_a.jpg

#15 1 year ago

Other option with a more classic style rod end with some cogs integrated in the key. I really would appreciate some feedback.

#16 1 year ago

Wow! They are BOTH pretty cool!

#17 1 year ago

Definitely have to refine sizing. I'm more wondering if people prefer the ball versus the classic "sort of" end.

#18 1 year ago

Here another version making full access to the rod end. Sizing would have to be factored in. It's hard for some people to image but I do believe once this is in old tarnished brass that it will fit right in. Again this is roughing it but gives people a pretty good idea.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Here another version making full access to the rod end. Sizing would have to be factored in. It's hard for some people to image but I do believe once this is in old tarnished brass that it will fit right in. Again this is roughing it but gives people a pretty good idea.

This is something I could live with. Good job

#20 1 year ago

Clever.....post 15 one looks great.
But man, ive hurt myself so many times in game room on my Indy gun, this worries me with family and friends.
Your on one plain, how about now making it more rounded, adding more loops and gears to get into more of a ball?

#21 1 year ago

lol...ask 10 opinions and you'll have to make 10 different versions...

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

lol...ask 10 opinions and you'll have to make 10 different versions...

Well I refined another version. This will help me strike a balance. I do believe this would offer the most access and Still end up looking cool.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Well I refined another version. This will help me strike a balance. I do believe this would offer the most access and Still end up looking cool.

Looking less and less like a key though.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Looking less and less like a key though.

Yes..i still have to refine

#25 1 year ago

Yes, but a key/gear hybrid doesn't look bad either...

#26 1 year ago

Post 14 and 19 are my favorites. Although I am not a fan of the "half gears" in the Club lobes because... well they look way too fake, half a gear with air below them.

To be fair, all of your designs are cool except that last one, #22. Quit while you're ahead. Tacking on a traditional knob to a key makes it look like what it is: an afterthought tacked onto an overwrought design. Plus, how far would that stick out? Not good either way. Your earlier versions were far more elegant!

Lightly emboss the "Houdini logotype gear" into the ball on #14...? That might be neat...

#27 1 year ago

I like all your new options. Post #18 is probably the most universal, options with text the front could bother OCD people since they might look "off" when the plunger rotates around over time, as it will, and the text ends up upside down.

#28 1 year ago

well had a few more thoughts on it.

#29 1 year ago

Since your asking for opinions and suggestions I'll toss mine out there.
The one thing I dont like about custom shooter rods is they rarely look good on the machine static unless adjusted.
My goal would be to have a shooter that looks great after you plunge it and release multiple times.
Faces and objects that tend to go sideways or upside down bug me (little ocd).

So that being said I like the traditional ball center post #13 but lose the two front facing prongs.
The shaft attaching point needs to be a strong as it can be so I would remove the ornamentation at the attaching point.
Lastly it needs to come out no more than 3 inches from the housing so scaling is key (pun intended ).
Move he Houdini logo forward centering between attaching point and ball.

What material are you using?

#30 1 year ago

The fun thing about a key is that technically it doesn't matter at which angle it is turned. If you think about it you have to turn the key to open a lock. I've gone and did a completely simplified version with a ball. The more I look at the other ones i feel they might be too intricate.

Quoted from HOOKED:

What material are you using?

Aiming for some form of actual metal plated in brass-ish / copper-ish material and then aged. In other words, I don't intend it to be the el cheapo mod.

#31 1 year ago

Something sort of like this finish, less glossy more tarnished.

sequence0038 (resized).jpg

#33 1 year ago

I think they ALL look SUPER cool but my favorite is pic marked key_camera4. NICE WORK!

1 week later
#35 1 year ago

I like the look of post #31. Depending on the cost and material, I'd consider ordering one.

9 months later
#36 3 months ago
Quoted from GSones:

I like the look of post #31. Depending on the cost and material, I'd consider ordering one.

Did you ever make these?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, NC
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 50.00
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rochester, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside