4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JimFNB
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hi Pinside,

There’s a lot of info out there about Houdini initial release and the wildly varying opinions on the layout and tight shots. However it’s difficult to find current info on the game... So I have a few questions:

-Did updated code improve graphics and repetitive sounds? Specifically there was a lot of “dead time” in the LCD graphics, and I’m wondering if they decreased that.
    -Did people figure out a way to dial in or mod Milkcan to make it not impossible? Along those lines, did they fix the Milkcan mode to make it more reasonable than making three freaking Milkcan shots? Maybe the most difficult mode in all of pinball.
    -In general does the community feel that the tanking price suggests that the game wasn’t received well overall, or are there other reasons for the 30+% aftermarket price decrease on what seemed like an already well-priced pin?

#2 4 years ago

I was hoping you were posting with some news

Since initial release? TONS of updates. Tons. I couldn’t even begin to list them all. The most significant one came in (I think?) November of last year - maybe it was later - it sped up loading/graphics/audio significantly, bringing it in line with expectations from DMD and modern games in Terms of how long you “wait” when playing. Delays are nonexistent

Milkcan is hard. Some folks have found adding the pinbits dead drop foam to help in cushioning the shot and making it easier. Others just practiced

I had a Roger Sharpe moment with one of my buddies where he bet me I couldn’t make the shot on demand. I did. It’s still hard as hell. 3 is almost impossible, just like it’s supposed to be (and the game rewards you for it)

No idea on price. Lots of people had predetermined expectations and won’t allow the game to get past those initial feelings. The original release was good, it wasn’t great. It was kinda fun, but needed a lot of tweaking. A lot of that’s been done. There are also not that many in the wild, so few people have played on in real life, so it’s up to owners to let their friends play. It shoots different than B/W Games, so shots don’t sink like you expect them to, it takes some practice. It’s fun as hell. Definitely makes you a better player because it’s not Munsters (meaning a beginner-friendly game with familiar shots)

Anyway whatever. Speculation is maybe there’s 600 of them. Check the owner’s thread - EVERY single new owner posts the same thing: “this game is awesome! Why is there such a backlash?”

Someone will come in here and post that it’s “clunky”, which is a euphemism for “my shots don’t sink like they do on Monster Bash so it sucks!”

#3 4 years ago

Very helpful post, thank you! I modified the title to make the thread less bait-y.

It’s great to hear that they updated loading times. I don’t mind the graphic style in general and actually think it’s cool - I just didn’t like the dead time making the game slow way down in early code.

Even though I’m sure Milkcan is probably make-able for a better player, I’d want to do SOMETHING to it to help... I’ll look into some of the softening options.

Overall this pin seems like insane value for what you get, so I really want to like it but haven’t played since it first came out.

#4 4 years ago

Rdoyle1978 covered many of your questions but here's some more food for thought.

This is definitely a game that is ideal for a home environment instead of playing a few random games in a loud bar. It takes some time to figure out what to do and how to connect the shots but once you do it's really a blast to play. People complain about the tight inner loop shot or the milkcan shot but that's part of the skill challenge and when you do make them, it feels sooooo satisfying. It has many interesting, unique features (reversed, inverted flippers, return from the dead, loading the trunk for multiball, stage shot through the pops etc) and is perhaps the best looking pinball since Theatre of Magic.

If you haven't played Houdini since its initial release do yourself a favor and try and find a well set up example. Give it at least 10-15 games to really dig into the rules and shots (and to re-calibrate away from the typical "fan" layout). You just might be surprised.

#5 4 years ago

The one on location near me must have updated the code recently because now you can double flip to skip the animations. Big improvement. I think the game is great and the inner loop shot that everyone cries about is a difficult shot, but not overly so.

#6 4 years ago

Great feedback!

Inner loop shot is what it is - very hard but rewarding which makes it cool. From my limited experience you can start to get a feel for it and see big improvements quickly.

The Milkcan, on the other hand, is what really “got” me as being a legitimate frustration with the design, because even with master skill level I don’t see how you can possibly make it with any consistency, and thus the 3 Milkcan shots mode feels absurd. Also my understanding is that multipliers happen there? So it’s extremely important, but the successful Milkshots end up being lucky bounces. Maybe I’m missing something with how to hit the shot.

Not trying to add more fuel to the fire of hate on the layout... Just hoping I can figure out if I could enjoy this pin for home use because it is jam packed with awesome stuff in a unique layout for an incredible aftermarket price right now.

Also I found the Houdini Club thread... Dor some reason it didn’t come up in my initial search!

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Patrunkenphat7:

Just hoping I can figure out if I could enjoy this pin for home use because it is jam packed with awesome stuff in a unique layout for an incredible aftermarket price right now.

You'll figure it out. Players will help, you'll learn.

Also I found the Houdini Club thread... Dor some reason it didn’t come up in my initial search!

Glad you located it ! A lot of great info and people there.

LTG : )

#8 4 years ago

Lots of great info there, of course, and you might want to search out the user "pinballinreno" and his posts about how he set up Houdini. IIRC he dropped his flippers very slightly, which makes the milkcan shot more consistently makeable. He and others have contributed so much to making this a great game for home -- it's going on 18 months for me and I don't see getting rid of it anytime soon.

And if you're ever up in DC, there's one on location (along with a couple dozen other pins, all in superlative playing condition) at MOM's Organic Market in College Park.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-news?hl=patrunkenphat7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.