(Topic ID: 215805)

Houdini Features and Mods wishlist. Add them here!

By WW2GURU

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by darkryder
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EAFD776F-0A4F-4A68-B6F3-C59913E2AE6B (resized).png
watercolorupgrade2 (resized).jpg
jackofront (resized).jpg
jackoback (resized).jpg
mensopleny (resized).jpg
bin o plenty (resized).jpg
IMG_0486 (resized).PNG
IMG_0898 (resized).JPG
IMG_0895 (resized).JPG
IMG_0897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0894 (resized).JPG
IMG_0622 (resized).JPG
4 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Looking for some great ideas you have for this game. I've dreamt up a few myself, some of which have shown up to an extent. Mod ideas, cabinet upgrades, lighting effects, playfield toys etc.... Post em here.

-Period looking handcuffs to hang on the back behind the wire ramp
-Underlit pop bumper locks
-Slingshot girl plastic standing next to catapult trunk in a "presenting pose"
-Movie camera and or projector toy
-Water torture chamber with Houdini inside and lighting effects
-Marquee screen doubling as a mini movie screen to playback small clips while playfield is briefly darkened and using the strobe light effect to simulate a projector
-Decal add ons for clear ramp
-Chain LEDs or all LEDs doing a snake effect in attract mode
-More Fade effects in the playfield inserts lighting
-Key AND lock shooter rod
-Decals for inside the trunk itself so its not plain metal

#2 5 years ago

Marquees lights deleted from original concept due to cost of build!
Apparently the boards are there to support, just deleted!

#3 5 years ago

Mod'ers have to be careful not to list what is coming.
I know of one of the items on your list that is currently being molded and tested (if I can get a cast version I'll have it at SFGE).
If that one goes well there will be a second also mode related.
Stage mod.
Marque mod.

Much more to come beyond leds for scoops and aprons which can be done with simple Comet matrix strips.

#4 5 years ago

Yeah I'm just throwing these ideas out here in case someone wants to run with one of them. Id love to create some stuff but id have to learn from scratch. I can dream up all kinds of ideas but execution is another story. Ive downloaded blender to play around with it for 3d printing but i doubt ill go as far as buying a printer and actually start making things.

#5 5 years ago

Working on something you have on that list.
Of course at some point someone will get copied.

#6 5 years ago

This pin agreed, is a moders dream.
So many things to do with magic tricks, props, steam-punk is a endless concept in design.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Marquees lights deleted from original concept due to cost of build!
Apparently the boards are there to support, just deleted!

What were the lights supposed to do?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

-More Fade effects in the playfield inserts lighting

I was wondering about this while playing last night. The current effects and lighting are nice but they don't have a lot of polish in this regards in comparison to WOZ, which I have sitting close to it. I am curious if this is somehow a limitation of the P-ROC system? I'm pretty ignorant with regards to it's capabilities so please have mercy on me if that's not the case.

One thing I've thought is missing is some type of animation or visual representation of how the catapult to the trunk ties into a Houdini show. I get that we don't want the focus taken away from that sweet long ball toss with trunk opening / closing coordinated, but what is supposed to be going on at that point in a Houdini show, does it correlate to some kind of trick, etc.

As for more stuff hanging around inside the game, meh I don't think it adds much IMO. There's already an ample of amount of those and the included purple posts are a nice touch.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

What were the lights supposed to do?

I had the same question and found this from TWIP's interview with Joe Balcer:

"TWIP: Can you explain the unique head shape on the game?

JB: Early on, when we first did the cabinet design, we had a design here from the engineering group to put marquee lights on the head, and being that Houdini did most of his magic on stage, we wanted to bring out the marquee lights. We weren’t going for the multi-colored crazy chasing lights. It was more of a marquee light – that kind of yellowish white that you can get out of LEDs and just have them chase up and down. And putting the curves in the sides of the box made the lights come out at you and then disappear under the box. It looked cool, it was one of the things we didn’t get in the game. I really wanted to see that happen but under the time frame and everything else, we couldn’t put our attention to that as much as I had hoped. The design look of it stayed the same, and it actually has provisions in the head to add chase lights at any given point. There may be an upgrade down the road. I would think that you might see that on another game we do. At least it is designed in. When we did have it working it was a cool effect and if you put 20 games on a wall and turn on all the games, your eyes would go immediately to Houdini just for that aspect. It was more of a “get your attention” aspect but I think we could’ve worked it into gameplay. But the time and effort and cost to make it happen put the skids on it for now.

TWIP: Do you think that could be something that a pinball mod company could do down the road?

JB: Absolutely. It’s on our list as something to get to, to make it available. It is just something we haven’t gotten to."

http://thisweekinpinball.com/exclusive-interview-joe-balcer-playfield-designer-houdini-desire-create/

#10 5 years ago

Picked these up the other day. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.

IMG_0586 (resized).JPGIMG_0586 (resized).JPG

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Those look great.
Incorperate into a topper.
I know it seams sacrilege. But I'm considering drilling thru cabinet sides to start adding steam punk valves and gauges and install lighting.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Those look great.
Incorperate into a topper.
I know it seams sacrilege. But I'm considering drilling thru cabinet sides to start adding steam punk valves and gauges and install lighting.

Excellent thought about that also. Reminds me of the indiana jones cabinet that was done as a prop. Working gauges can be done using voltage meters with custom faces.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Too bad there is no lock-down bar for those.

#14 5 years ago

Just Got this Bad boy done after a month of work and testing.

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “MOD MAGIC! by Ericpinballfan for HOUDINI PINBALL BY AMERICAN PINBALL! PM/Message me for details. All 3 Pieces are for sale individually. If you only want one or two of the 3, I wi...”
2019-01-24
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 88 days
Viewed: 2680 times
Contributed to Pinside

#15 5 years ago

A mini infomercial for the Awesome Houdini!! The Mod Couple is Proud to introduce our first Custom mods for the Magical Houdini!!! Behold, "The Water Torture Mod" Ahhhhh. lol It took us a long time to get this beautiful machine so we thought we would start off with a highly detailed first step. The Water Torture Mod is fully plug and play like all of our products and completely reversible. We tried to honor the beauty of this game and the mystery that is Houdini. Each mod is hand made with exacting detail with airbrush and hand painted details down to the bubbles and fish glass lenses! Color changing LED effects give a spooky yet theme correct look. Small custom details done in 3D such as the HH monogram and hand painted raised rivets. Authentic 1912 Houdini image Colorized by hand via Mama Mod Couple for a unique flare. A Mod fitting that of the master magician himself! This kit includes all mounting hardware complete with step my step instructions and color photos to ensure a perfect installation. These kits are in final assembly and will start shipping Next Week! Total cost for the kit will be $85 plus $7.25 US shipping. These take Many hours to produce but we believe this game deserves a custom fit! PM for interest or questions. Thank you for your interest in our products!!!

The Mod Couple!

IMG_1110 (resized).jpgIMG_1110 (resized).jpg

IMG_1108 (resized).jpgIMG_1108 (resized).jpg

IMG_1138 (resized).jpgIMG_1138 (resized).jpg

IMG_1137 (resized).jpgIMG_1137 (resized).jpg

IMG_1136 (resized).jpgIMG_1136 (resized).jpg

IMG_1129 (resized).jpgIMG_1129 (resized).jpg

IMG_1117 (resized).jpgIMG_1117 (resized).jpg

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

A mini infomercial for the Awesome Houdini!! The Mod Couple is Proud to introduce our first Custom mods for the Magical Houdini!!! Behold, "The Water Torture Mod" Ahhhhh. lol It took us a long time to get this beautiful machine so we thought we would start off with a highly detailed first step. The Water Torture Mod is fully plug and play like all of our products and completely reversible. We tried to honor the beauty of this game and the mystery that is Houdini. Each mod is hand made with exacting detail with airbrush and hand painted details down to the bubbles and fish glass lenses! Color changing LED effects give a spooky yet theme correct look. Small custom details done in 3D such as the HH monogram and hand painted raised rivets. Authentic 1912 Houdini image Colorized by hand via Mama Mod Couple for a unique flare. A Mod fitting that of the master magician himself! This kit includes all mounting hardware complete with step my step instructions and color photos to ensure a perfect installation. These kits are in final assembly and will start shipping Next Week! Total cost for the kit will be $85 plus $7.25 US shipping. These take Many hours to produce but we believe this game deserves a custom fit! PM for interest or questions. Thank you for your interest in our products!!!
The Mod Couple!

Nice! Just what I was Imagining. Im in.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Nice! Just what I was Imagining. Im in.

Really appreciated!! We really tried to do the detail and quality fitting of the beauty of Houdini!!!

The Mod Couple

#18 5 years ago

This one is being wrapped up now in the paint process which still needs some tweaking.
Custom cast and actual prop accurate. Next in lenses, figure and lighting.
Ours will be another month or so but take a look so far.
Sign up for the preorder no money down- invoicing only starts once mods are ready.
Accuracy on this one really took some time, more mods in the works so keep watch!

accurate tank (resized).jpgaccurate tank (resized).jpg

#20 5 years ago

Few playfield pics with my new mod.
Ad above post #14
Houdini planchette mod.

20180506_202156 (resized).jpg20180506_202156 (resized).jpg

20180506_202152 (resized).jpg20180506_202152 (resized).jpg

#21 5 years ago

Antique key held on with a neodynium magnet I took from a scrapped iMac. They happen to have 14 of these magnets that hold the glass on the screen. I think it looks good above his hand like this and also close to the key lane.

IMG_0620 (resized).JPGIMG_0620 (resized).JPG

#22 5 years ago

For movie binge, have a setting or make it so you just have to play the modes and not complete them. Obviously have code to prevent timing them out.

Can anything on the playfield spot a FILM letter? Add those to the magic targets maybe.

Change the color of the increase jackpot shot at the inner loop. Looks too close to the actual lock insert. I always mistake increase jackpot for lock.

Any alternative way to start a jail escape mode outside of hoping for a lucky bounce into the gobble hole would be nice too.

When in part two of man from beyond, have the orbits lit. I don’t think anything tells you to hit the orbits when you’re in that part.

Sorry if any or all of this is currently in the code. Haha

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

For movie binge, have a setting or make it so you just have to play the modes and not complete them. Obviously have code to prevent timing them out.

You do not have to complete them, just start them (which is hard enough). Timing them out would let you get there, but the value of the binge is directly tied to the points earned on each movie, so if all you did was just time them out, the value of the binge would be miniscule. If you are trying to get to the binge, focus on hitting ramps to finish spelling FILM so every shot to the inner loop gets a movie mode started. Make sure you are also lighting locks before starting the film, but never shoot the the third lock without first lighting movie so that you get them both starting together.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can anything on the playfield spot a FILM letter? Add those to the magic targets maybe.

If escape and seance targets are all lit, then it will advance film letters. The color of the magic stand-up target inserts tells you which items it will advance (green->escape, teal-> seance, blue->film). Obviously you can shoot the ramp a few times to complete them since you can move the the lane lights with the flippers. Also, consecutive ramp shots increase in value (1K, 5K, 10K, 25K, 50k, 100K) so hitting a bunch in row can be quite valuable.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Any alternative way to start a jail escape mode outside of hoping for a lucky bounce into the gobble hole would be nice too.

Increasing the pop power slightly can help get it in there more often, I do have one idea around this, but it needs to percolate more. Does help if you can the feel for the bank shot off the rubber to the left of the stage from the right flipper also a shot through stage alley with the stage closed will often bank into it.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

When in part two of man from beyond, have the orbits lit. I don’t think anything tells you to hit the orbits when you’re in that part.

Yup, item 17 on the white board in my office

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

focus on hitting ramps

Great idea. If I could ever hit it. Haha

Thanks for all the other replies.

Also, when I was in the straight jacket mode and I made a few jackpots and the call out was along the lines of “what the F@ck?!?” Haha. I laughed so hard I drained out. Well done.

2 weeks later
#25 5 years ago

Who's going to make the chase lights on the head T-molding?

#26 5 years ago

Who's going to make the chase lights on the head T-molding?

I'll make some for myself found the t-molding on line just have to find the right chase light and its a done deal.
Key will be finding something not too bright that is just decorative.

#27 5 years ago

I really like the water torture cabinets being made. Could AP offer one that has a vertical lcd inside and shows animations of a curtain opening and water filling up. Houdini being lowered in, struggling with chains and bubbles, the curtain closes and then reopened and he vanished or there's a skeleton inside or something unexpected. I'd pay 3 bills or so for an active mod like that.

#28 5 years ago

My Full line of 3D Engraved Houdini Mods is now up in one Ad.
Houdini Header Emblem, replaces the AP bubble sticker.
Planchette to cover up all fancy with Upgraded version.
And a nice little key fob.
Go to post #1 of Ad below to see more pictures.

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “MOD MAGIC! by Ericpinballfan for HOUDINI PINBALL BY AMERICAN PINBALL! PM/Message me for details. All 3 Pieces are for sale individually. If you only want one or two of the 3, I wi...”
2019-01-24
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 88 days
Viewed: 2680 times
Contributed to Pinside

DSC05075 (resized).JPGDSC05075 (resized).JPG

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I really like the water torture cabinets being made. Could AP offer one that has a vertical lcd inside and shows animations of a curtain opening and water filling up. Houdini being lowered in, struggling with chains and bubbles, the curtain closes and then reopened and he vanished or there's a skeleton inside or something unexpected. I'd pay 3 bills or so for an active mod like that.

Very cool idea - it would be good to find an alternative area to place it too, so you can see it better, but the layout offers few places where you’re not covering something else up!

How about a replacement for the lamp plastic?

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How about a replacement for the lamp plastic?

You mean like this?

20180421_100657 (resized).jpg20180421_100657 (resized).jpg

20180421_100231 (resized).jpg20180421_100231 (resized).jpg

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Id like one of these as a really big topper!

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Very cool idea - it would be good to find an alternative area to place it too, so you can see it better, but the layout offers few places where you’re not covering something else up!

Like a really big topper!

#34 5 years ago

You mean like this?

Love it!!! I might need one lol!

#35 5 years ago

Dunked Houdini taking shape lighting next - this is just a quick side view.
We have a straight jacket mod pictures coming in the next few weeks.
Few more mods after that. We should be wrapped up with all 4 mods by Aug.
We have a few mods that will bring depth to the 2d plastics - Stage-Ramp and working on stage alley.

man intank (resized).jpgman intank (resized).jpg

1 week later
#36 5 years ago

Bump for neat Houdini mod's.

#37 5 years ago

Purple trough light...

IMG_0523 (resized).jpgIMG_0523 (resized).jpg
#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Purple trough light...

I wonder if AP sells the led changing small boards so you could daisy off the eyes on houdini center field? That way through light would match the eyes changing color.

#39 5 years ago

I wonder if AP sells the led changing small boards so you could daisy off the eyes on houdini center field? That way through light would match the eyes changing color.

If I had the game, that would be cool to try, but without it I can't know the connections. I bet you could use a color changing strip and rig it that way.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If I had the game, that would be cool to try, but without it I can't know the connections. I bet you could use a color changing strip and rig it that way.

Would need all 5 wires off of data line. A standard led strip isnt designed like that.

#41 5 years ago

Would need all 5 wires off of data line. A standard led strip isnt designed like that.

Do the back box lights change color at all? There’s always the hookup intended for the chasing marquee lights - that’s all still in there and supported. Might be crazy in the trough though

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Do the back box lights change color at all?

No, they are standard white led strips.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There’s always the hookup intended for the chasing marquee lights -

Long gone- They only had 1 beta game where this was tested. In 2017 the 2 beta games did not even have this feature that wentvaround to shows.
There is no wires, cords or anything, much less code for head T-molding chase lights in backbox. Once again long gone and never placed in production games. Waste of money for a feature that was killed.

#43 5 years ago

No, they are standard white led strips.

Long gone- They only had 1 beta game where this was tested. In 2017 the 2 beta games did not even have this feature that wentvaround to shows.
There is no wires, cords or anything, much less code for head T-molding chase lights in backbox. Once again long gone and never placed in production games. Waste of money for a feature that was killed.

Really? Dang it. I remember reading an interview with Joe where they said they left all that in there. Obviously the lights aren't installed, but I assumed the harness and/or connectors were. Maybe he meant the software?

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Dunked Houdini taking shape lighting next - this is just a quick side view.
We have a straight jacket mod pictures coming in the next few weeks.
Few more mods after that. We should be wrapped up with all 4 mods by Aug.
We have a few mods that will bring depth to the 2d plastics - Stage-Ramp and working on stage alley.

HURRY! need this!

#45 5 years ago

Introducing "Q The Robot" Houdini Illuminated custom robot Mod! Save Houdini from the Robots!!!! The Mod Couple would like to introduce our new "Q" Mod is a perfect smooth finish scale add on to the robot lane for an improved visual target to defeat the robots! Each Mod is hand crafted, hand painted, and designed as a removable plug and play complete kit. Robots belly is an illuminated color changing lens detailed with gears so you can see his inner workings. Also notice the mouth illuminates as if he is talking! Traditional "HH" side detailing, hand painted accent rivets and eyes. Includes full color installation instructions with photos. SPECIAL. Save $$ on Houdini options with our Grouped Houdini Collection which combines our Houdini Water Torture Mod and the New "Q The Robot! Group and Save. Both available Now via our New website store www.TheModCouplePinball.com Thanks to Everyone for your continued interest and support!!

The Mod Couple

IMG_0045 (resized).jpgIMG_0045 (resized).jpgIMG_0049 (resized).jpgIMG_0049 (resized).jpgIMG_0054 (resized).jpgIMG_0054 (resized).jpgIMG_0055 (resized).jpgIMG_0055 (resized).jpgIMG_0056 (resized).jpgIMG_0056 (resized).jpgIMG_0059 (resized).jpgIMG_0059 (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-09 at 2.59.45 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-06-09 at 2.59.45 PM (resized).png
#46 5 years ago

Sweeeeeeet! Ordered even tho I already have the chamber mod

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Sweeeeeeet! Ordered even tho I already have the chamber mod

Thanks so much. Much love for our friends in Indiana. Even though #SDTM Zach is from their. Lol

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks so much. Much love for our friends in Indiana. Even though #SDTM Zach is from their. Lol

Hey now lol there is more than corn in Indiana ha ha

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Hey now lol there is more than corn in Indiana ha ha

Not much more unless you visit Floyds Knobs I guess that would be the Hilly area... lol Personally I love Indiana especially the Fort Wayne area. Many great clients and friends in that area I visit often. Plus you have one thing in Indiana NOBODY can beat, Rise-N-Roll Donuts! Holly wow best anywhere.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not much more unless you visit Floyds Knobs I guess that would be the Hilly area... lol Personally I love Indiana especially the Fort Wayne area. Many great clients and friends in that area I visit often. Plus you have one thing in Indiana NOBODY can beat, Rise-N-Roll Donuts! Holly wow best anywhere.

Lol yes Rise-N-Roll Donuts=Donut Crack! Don't know how else to explain it but they are ridiculously good!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-features-and-mods-wishlist-add-them-here/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.