Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170929_104249 (resized).jpg
20170929_103916 (resized).jpg
20170929_103836 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Looks like a great pin!
Anyone else excited to see this produced?
Thinking of DI, Alien or Houdini as my first pin.

Any suggestions for a first pin that I ant to keep for a long time?

#2 6 years ago

I've played all 3, I own a DI. Houdini seems really fun! It's for sure a beautiful looking game.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Phantomtracer:

Looks like a great pin!

Only suggestion: only buy from a bona- fide established company unless you’re willing to end up frustrated. Take from that what you will.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Only suggestion: only buy from a bonfired established company unless you’re willing to end up frustrated. Take from that what you will.

My thoughts exactly

#5 6 years ago

Not really excited no. Has always seemed sketchy to me

#6 6 years ago

After reading about all the nightmares of promised games I definitely won't buy until the game is shipping.

DI is currently on the top of the list. Just wish this Houdini would be finished in time to test. I'm getting anxious! Alien might also be good once the game is works out.

A little disappointed the Stern doesn't have anything exciting.

#7 6 years ago

Look beyond that. Think about future support... especially from companies that are using unique parts. If you’re comfortable with that, go for it. Just beware, there’s a chance those companies won’t be around to support their products.

#8 6 years ago

Lots of excited fans to be found here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread

#9 6 years ago

Looks like a great pin!

I may put a deposit down if I still can on Houdini. I watched a few Youtube video's. The music that I heard was not very pleasing to my ear. And the LCD animations were very basic . TOM though a DMD from 1995 has much better animation for the modes than what I have seen from limited Houdini video. I understand why many people are against John Popadiuk Jr. I get it. I was told Popadiuk did the original proto type of the Houdini pinball. It is a visual master piece .

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Only suggestion: only buy from a bonified established company unless you’re willing to end up frustrated. Take from that what you will.

*bona fide

bonified is what JPop did to his customers

#11 6 years ago

LOL

#12 6 years ago

Looks like a great pin!

You will obviously do what you want, but since you are first time buyer I would stick with a known great product like DI or maybe AFMr. You could also grab a nice game off the secondary market until Houdini or Alien is out on the streets and good reviews start rolling in. Hate to see a new guy get frustrated with the hobby.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I was told Popadiuk did the original proto type of the Houdini pinball. It is a visual master piece .

And it's also NOTHING like what people will actually be paying money for. I suggest you look at the videos from TPF earlier this year. Completely different game, and Dookie-do-it has nothing to do with it anymore.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Look beyond that. Think about future support... especially from companies that are using unique parts. If you’re comfortable with that, go for it. Just beware, there’s a chance those companies won’t be around to support their products.

I will probably gamble on it. Code support cannot be any worse than a Stern game. And it looks like better quality than Stern too and a highly populated playfield.

#15 6 years ago

I've played one game and it looks nice overall. The pop bumpers with chains moving is so simple yet such a great idea. Perfect theme!! (Imagine if DI had this theme instead - JJP would sell 4x). Shots felt OK but don't expect DI quality here.

Game went down multiple times over weekend (NW show). My very first impression after looking at playfield was that it was very pixelated and colors washed out (playfield). I went back to B/W games like TOTAN and back again to look and there is a big difference so I'm not sure what's going on there - maybe this was a temporary print job for the show? Next I noticed issues with inconsistent fonts and some words covered up by backglass art as it wraps around panel so there are still some things to iron out. But the art itself looked very good to me just the unfortunate printing of it ruined it for me.

Overall, game looks great, let's root and cheer them on, save your money til you see and play. Tons of exciting new games coming out too. If you must regardless, only send deposits to top dealers that guarantee full refunds if you pull out at anytime. In addition, pay with credit cards that may offer more refund protection. Lots of money has been lost in recent years so be very careful.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I may put a deposit down if I still can on Houdini. I watched a few Youtube video's. The music that I heard was not very pleasing to my ear. And the LCD animations were very basic . TOM though a DMD from 1995 has much better animation for the modes than what I have seen from limited Houdini video. I understand why many people are against John Popadiuk Jr. I get it. I was told Popadiuk did the original proto type of the Houdini pinball. It is a visual master piece . » YouTube video

Let's assume you didn't realise that the video you posted isn't the Houdini game. This video is from a box of lights which has art not done by John Popadiuk, he only came up with the concept and somehow got the thing to light up.

This is a video that actually shows the production game. Drastically different:

#17 6 years ago

Yes I am. Love the shot through the pop bumpers and how the ball is catapulted to the magic trunk in the back. The inverted reverse flippers for straight jacket is hard on the brain, but a fun mode to try and master.

#18 6 years ago

Not on my radar, but hope it's great for the people that want it.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

And it's also NOTHING like what people will actually be paying money for. I suggest you look at the videos from TPF earlier this year. Completely different game, and Dookie-do-it has nothing to do with it anymore.

You did not read my comment on my post. I explained that I have watched many YOUTUBE videos on Houdini and that the music was not that good nor the LCD animation. I posted the link from (2016) of the original trade show release of what the Houdini may have looked like. I put my deposit down on the machine . But I am not convinced at the $7,000.00+ price point I will stay on board will see come late October .

#20 6 years ago

I'll be excited once they actually start shipping games. I love that there a few new players trying, but its always a big risk dealing with a new company. If they start shipping I'll definitely add one to my collection.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

many YOUTUBE videos

And then yes, you linked to one that doesn't show the current iteration of the game, which makes no sense at all for you to be chewing me out over misunderstanding.

I've actually played it...have you? I thought it was cool as hell, and a really visually interesting and fun shooting layout with some VERY tight shots that are going to challenge most everyone. I think the Jpop iteration looks very....typical...from him..... color vomit everywhere, mechs that won't work in a million years, over the top ridiculous embellishment that doesn't fit the theme. My whole point was if that's what you were expecting, or want, then no, I don't think you'll be happy with the current version. But it's not for lack of effort on AP's part. They've put together a HELL of an impressive first effort....I'd argue it's better than AMH or Full Throttle. I like AMH, but FullT just never felt right to me..

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

And then yes, you linked to one that doesn't show the current iteration of the game, which makes no sense at all for you to be chewing me out over misunderstanding.
I've actually played it...have you? I thought it was cool as hell, and a really visually interesting and fun shooting layout with some VERY tight shots that are going to challenge most everyone. I think the Jpop iteration looks very....typical...from him..... color vomit everywhere, mechs that won't work in a million years, over the top ridiculous embellishment that doesn't fit the theme. My whole point was if that's what you were expecting, or want, then no, I don't think you'll be happy with the current version. But it's not for lack of effort on AP's part. They've put together a HELL of an impressive first effort....I'd argue it's better than AMH or Full Throttle. I like AMH, but FullT just never felt right to me..

Every one is entitled to there opinion . I like the original proto playfield it looks much better to me. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it . The whole thumbs down on Pinside is ridiculous . Robin should do away with it. It causes unwanted drama. The link I left has no baring on the current Houdini model and I stated that in my original post indirectly. I do not even know if JPop was involved as I stated in my original post if it was read and comprehended. I was told he was from an other pinside friend. If you like the machine buy it . My Deposit is in for Houdini . I also gave my feedback and concerns of what I did not like about the machine. No I have not played Houdini. The more info by people the better. Buy it is a free country. Frax good luck to you . I am glad you are Jazzed about the new A.P. company as I am as well . However it is a risk without a doubt. But I put money down as it is refundable up to a point. Peace

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

You did not read my comment on my post. I explained that I have watched many YOUTUBE videos on Houdini and that the music was not that good nor the LCD animation. I posted the link from (2014) of the original trade show release of what the Houdini may have looked like.

That was last year, 2016.

#25 6 years ago

For what it's worth I stopped in at American Pinball this week to drop off some Pinball Beer to the staff (this was a prearranged meeting). I met the President of American Pinball (Mr Vasani) who was very nice and personable before heading back to Pinside member rosh office. He had Houdini prototype #1 in his office as rosh is writing the code for the pin.

I have to say that I wasn't sure what to expect on the drive over regarding the company or the pin (I had never seen in person or played Houdini and have only read about American Pinball) but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised on both fronts. Rosh spent about an hour with me going over the modes, scoring strategy, animations, etc and it was incredible. I was stunned that this pin was a first effort from a new pinball company as the machine was impressive with a deep rules set filled with modes. The staff at American Pinball where very busy as they are gearing up for Expo where they will have machines ready to play and full production is getting ready for Houdini machines.

Regarding the playfield print quality...these playfields that are in the demo machines are not the same playfields that will be in the production machines so you can expect a much higher quality print job as they are now being manufactured by Mirco. I think that's important to point out.

I just wanted to share my personal experience with American Pinball which was a very positive one. This company isn't a few people hanging around in a building trying to build a pinball machine. Its a professional company with qualified staff that are putting a lot of effort in bringing the community a quality pinball machine that gives the player a fun and immersive experience. Im excited to see these games in homes before the end of this year.

Rosh said I could take some pics of prototype #1 so I did, ha!

20170929_103836 (resized).jpg20170929_103836 (resized).jpg
20170929_103916 (resized).jpg20170929_103916 (resized).jpg
20170929_104249 (resized).jpg20170929_104249 (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

Out of all the new releases this is the pin that has me the most excited. I was able to get close up to it at TPF this year and came away impressed with what AP has created. If they can deliver this pin to the masses with no major issues then I would definitely consider adding one to the lineup.

#27 6 years ago

Thats great news about the higher quality printed playfields for release! Thanks for your post!

Dis you notice if they worked on the text and fonts for the screen? This summer had noticed that there was text covered up by backglass around screen and that fonts seemed like they didn't match with the rest of the game/theme. We want it to be the best it can be and that's another thing that stood out for me.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

However it is a risk without a doubt. But I put money down as it is refundable up to a point.

Word. Fortunately, I don't have the money to gamble, so these risks rarely ever affect me directly anyways. Just keep in mind that Skit-B, JJP, and Heighway were all 'refundable to a point'...except when they didn't want to issue refunds. =Þ I really wanted Jpop's Alice in Wonderland thing to be real, almost considered selling games to get in on it, but in the end, decided that everything going on (selling game 3 before building game 1?!?) was just too bloody shady. As much as it is a shame that a designer will be lost to the community over his actions, he doesn't deserve ANY support at this point, nor do the companies that shelter him. If Houdini still had anything to do with John at all, I would've totally ignored their booth at TPF, and certainly wouldn't support their future efforts. I think of all the startups, AP has seemed *way* more professional in how they're approaching things than anyone else that's taken preorder money on the first game, and the fact they managed to get MGs out at ALL, along with the prototype Houdini games in such a short timeframe is really telling, in a good way.

The only people that thumbs cause drama for are people that can't have a respectful debate, or that feel like they always have the superior point regardless of facts. /shrug The option to disable seeing them is in your hands if it bothers you... as Robin has pointed out several times on the thread about that whole thing. No need for it to bleed into this thread.

#29 6 years ago

Chicago Pinball Expo.
Pincades
American Pinball's, first Chicago Land Dist. will be there to help represent AP and will be taking deposits and answering question's.
$100.00 deposit gets you on the pre-order list to hold your spot in line. This is fully refundable up to one month before I ship you a game so no risk to you. If you haven't had a chance to play this game its fun and innovative. Only one model to choose. No international shipping.
Jesse T
see you in a few weeks!!!

#30 6 years ago

I think it's important to point out that American pinball is taking NO preorder dollars. Distributors are, to "hold your spot" in line, but I think this speaks volumes as far as company financial credibility, and suitably addresses what Frax pointed out as legitimate concerns (that is, you can get a refund until you can't).

AP is just making the machines, you pay in full when you want one. End of transaction.

Having Rosh on the team is really their secret weapon - he is SO thorough as far as research and testing, and he is incredibly respectful of pinball history "is this good for pinball?" Is a question I imagine he asks when working on each aspect of the game. Joe Balcer also brings with him some incredible experience, a great set of games in his portfolio, and in pushing the bar in a LOT of ways. I hope AP is able to become the disruptive, innovative force in the industry that their game design seems to imply. Time will tell, right?

#31 6 years ago

I streamed Houdini @ SFGE - After playing it I'm excited to see what comes out at Expo:

#32 6 years ago

I am in for playing all the new games. Since I can not afford a NIB!!!

#33 6 years ago

- The two current pins I am most excited about are Houdini and Total Nuclear Annihilation. But TNA may not be the best choice for a single game lineup.
- Dialed in has real staying power as well.
- Alien... well, I have been following the Alien thread for far too long.

In your case, if this is your first pin, the most important factor is to buy this game from a respectable and, if possible, local distro. You'll probably need some advice before and after the sale.

Note that buying a recent HUO Stern is a cheaper option you should not discard; Stern has released its fair share of good pins these last years, and if you choose a problem-free one with complete code you can't go wrong.

1 month later
#34 6 years ago

Looks like a great pin!

Do what I did.
Buy a worn out F14 Tomcat for cheap and totally rebuild it with new play field and electronics and rebuild everything so it plays and looks fantastic, then play the shit out of it until you get really good. F14 forces you to become faster and more skillful. Then you also develope good skills for maintaining a pin.
Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-anyone-excited-about-this?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.