• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B36C057C-9E33-4B9E-B32C-D6AB20EA39C9 (resized).jpeg
F2E280D5-45AE-473D-A13F-3826B0DC0B4A (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

My Bally Hotdoggin’ has been working great, then both flippers on the right stopped working. I checked all wiring and found no loose connections. Filed flipper button contact as well. Thinking it might be Driver Board related, I swapped out the board with a new Alltek and no change. Put existing board back in and cleaned pins on J1 & J2 and checked/wiggled connections while holding down flipper button, nothing.

Next, I tried this from minnesota13 on another post: “Run a clip lead from the working flipper coil voltage in -- the end lug with the diode stripe to the equivalent lug on the non working flipper.
Then if the non-working flipper now works it's the flipper power pin associated with the driver board. If it doesn't work look for a ground path problem.”. I get nothing on either right dead flipper which tells me I may have a grounding issue?

How should I troubleshoot this problem further?

As always, THANKS!

F2E280D5-45AE-473D-A13F-3826B0DC0B4A (resized).jpegF2E280D5-45AE-473D-A13F-3826B0DC0B4A (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago

If you hold in the flipper button and manually lift the lower flipper does it pull in and hold? If so, file or replace the EOS switch.

If the flipper won’t pull in and hold, inspect your original driver board for burned traces. If they are burned, the new driver board may be damaged too.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for your response. I’ll give that a try but there are two flippers on the right side, both dead, and unlikely the EOS switches failed simultaneously. Also I swapped the driver board with a new one and it didn’t correct the issue.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from EMDude:

... two flippers on the right side, both dead, and unlikely the EOS switches failed simultaneously.

For sure. Do you have the schematic? Trace the power backwards.

#5 1 year ago

Not sure if there are fuses on the flipper power/Ground for this machine but that is a good place to look. I made the mistake of replacing a coil and diode once, then figuring out after the fact I had a bad fuse even though it visually looked good.

#6 1 year ago

Check the switch stack at the lower flipper. I believe the switch on the right is normally closed. Neither of the right flippers will work if that one has any gap.

#7 1 year ago

Problem is going to be with the lower flipper as it flips the upper flipper. Could be a broken coil wire or a bad EOS switch. Post a few photos that clearly show the EOS and coil wiring. If the switches are original this might be a good time to do a flipper rebuild.

#8 1 year ago

Fixed! ghostrachel BigAl56 yep, it was the normally closed switch on the lower flipper. Filed it and the EOS and everything works again. Yes, I will be rebuilding these flippers soon. Thanks all!

B36C057C-9E33-4B9E-B32C-D6AB20EA39C9 (resized).jpegB36C057C-9E33-4B9E-B32C-D6AB20EA39C9 (resized).jpeg
#9 1 year ago

Definitely rebuild that mess. Also note the amount the flipper shaft extends through the crank is too much. Either wrong flipper or improper setting. Flipper shaft should extend through just a small amount and there should be nominal vertical play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hotdoggin-right-flippers-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.