Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 4.30.32 PM (resized).png
20200311_152808 (resized).jpg
2000000000850337 (resized).jpg
2000000000850339 (resized).jpg
2000000000850341 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #777 Hot wheels pinball flyer Posted by RobDutch (4 years ago)

Post #778 Picture of hot wheels pinball Posted by PismoArcade (4 years ago)

Post #838 Playfield pics Posted by wcbrandes (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vdojaq.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#222 4 years ago

Opinions are just like assholes, everyone has got one. The problem here is none us know jack shit and have no idea how a Hot Wheels pin would look, sell , or play IF it is even true. Anyone who says that a Hot Wheels game will put American Pinball out of business put up or shut up. I will wager a crisp benjamin ($100) to each and everyone who thinks A.P. will not produce another game after Hot Wheels. Wager is void if Hot Wheels is not produced or is a redemption type game.

The bet for $100 is if Hot Wheels is produced by A.P. that A.P. will not produce another machine AND go out of business.

OK who is in?

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Hot Wheels by the numbers:
Over 6 BILLION hot wheels have been sold World Wide.
A Hot Wheel is sold every 10 seconds.
Most Valuable Hot Wheel sold for 175,000
Hot Wheels have been in production for over 50 years.
41 Million people grew up collecting Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels has conventions, collector guides, events and even TV have been produced creating full sized hot wheels
Warner Brothers is developing a Hot Wheels feature film in development as of this year.
Hot Wheels have been featured or had their own video game over 50 times
Hot Wheels are featured on every form or motorsports as sponsors
Here is the bottom line HOME RUN THEME... I can see right now every single toy store that sells vintage toys wanting one in the lobby. Do you actually think the guy who paid 175k for one hot wheel isn't buying one. This theme is bigger than pinball, and will find buyers outside of the pinball community just like Ghostbusters, Wizard of Oz, Metallica, ACDC, and Toy Story once that gets released.
I'll predict right now this game sells between 1000 and 2000 copies.
I have no doubt Mattel will promote this, and I think you will see a lot of national press for this game as well
Facts not fiction. Its a home run theme no matter what anyone thinks.

Yep, you get it.

1 month later
#412 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Better theme than Stranger Things...

A Tween Theme?

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Hot wheels is a mattel toy for five year old kids.
I´m still puzzled the thread lasted for almost 10 pages.

Tell that to the 40 something collector paying $500 a pop for red line Hot Wheels?

#418 4 years ago

I love how the naysayers say that Hot Wheels is a kiddie toy/theme. What the hell do think a pinball machine is? It's a glorified toy that happens to take your money. A good pinball is a good pinball, I don't care if it's called Little Mermaid.

1 week later
#428 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A commercial coin operated, sometimes gambling device, mostly designed to be left in a public location to make money.
Don't know of too many toys that include a coin door and the ability to make money. Never did I walk up to a pinball machine, put money in it and say "I'm going to play with this toy now".
I really wish the pinball community would stop using the word "toy", when referring to these commercial grade machines.
Is a slot machine a toy? Is a soda machine a toy? Is a snack machine a toy? Your car might be a cheap toy, but I don't believe any of these are.

An amusement device, commonly filled with toys, shouldn't be considered a toy? OK.

#431 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A pinball machine is a toy like a coke machine is a toy.

How the hell do you play with a coke machine? Put your money in a pinball, you play a game. Put your money in a coke machine and you get something to drink. A coke machine is a vending machine, a pinball machine is an amusement device. It's a big fricken toy that costs money to play.

Have you seen "Bad Grampa'? That is the only exception.

1 week later
#452 4 years ago
Quoted from majicman110:

Don't get me wrong, I never had hot wheels and I'm not into cars, but I was also shocked when I found out about the number of people that thought Wonka was a good theme. I don't know anyone that ever saw that movie, so I can't believe anyone over the age of 5 would be interested in it.
I also don't know any guys my age that saw the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I always thought that those movies were for 12 year old girls that liked Johnny Depp.

For the most part, I agree with your arguments other than the above statements. The original Willy Wonka is an amazing movie for it's time and a movie that all of us pinball owners grew up with. If it's on TV, I will probably watch it for a while. Brings me back to memories of the innocence of being a kid and seeing that movie for the 1st time. The Pirates franchise, which is worth over a billion dollars in movies, toys, and other revenues, is meaningful and enjoyed by many more than just a tween girl. Much of the innuendo and jokes are VERY adult.

For A.P. , if they are doing Hot Wheels and it's done well, my opinion is they will have the big winner they have been looking for. I had a shitload of hot wheels as a kid, and believe I would really enjoy this theme. Sorry if some of you played with Barbie's instead.

#480 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Ditto on matchbox.
Also, guys that buy and chase after 99 cent cars aren't the same guys buying $7000 pins.

So people who bought 99 cent Wonka/candy bars are not buying $9K JJP Wonka pins?

Can't have it both ways

#482 4 years ago

Hot Wheels or not, the bottom line is we are all playing a game of point, counter point. Everyone has reasonable points for or against a Hot Wheels pinball. The real truth is none of us know jack shit about how well a Hot Wheels machine would sell or even play until they roll off the assembly line. Dollars and sales speak volumes, not a bunch of grade school conjecture.

Somebody thought the Corvair was a great idea, someone else told Ford the Mustang would never sell.

#484 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Apples to oranges....Wonka is a movie. Hot Wheels are a tangible item you play with.

Bulllllssssshit. Hot wheels has had animated series and a live action movie in the works.

You know what the good news is? If you don't like Hot Wheels and you don't like the pinball machine(if and when it comes out), no one is forcing you to buy one.

Isn't that a great option?

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Enjoy your new machine!

Only if I like it........

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from majicman110:

But i mean, do you wear Stranger Things or Rick and Morty tees around town? Not sure that equates to pinball theme relevance

That's what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm screwed up, or maybe I just had too many friends with older siblings but by the time we were 7 or 8 we were exclusively trying to see the most violent r rated action/horror movies we could find.
So when I hear about people in their 40's talking about Goonies and Wonka I'm a bit confused.

I am 48 and I love the fucking Goonies! Pretty straight forward, not confusing at all. As for Willy Wonka, try watching it just for the brilliant performance by Gene Wilder. Oh no....stop....please.

#526 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Come on....don't tell me you don't have a CONVOY tee somewhere.

I bet he enjoys playing with his rubber duck!

2 weeks later
#583 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I heard Oktoberfest only sold ~200 units.

This theme was just all wrong for a 2nd machine. That being said, it a great game, just not for a location. To get through all the different themes and choices, someone would have to pump 20 to 30 bucks in it on location and that just wasn't going to happen. If I had the spending cash and more room, I would own an Oktoberfest in my collection.

I sincerely hope that Hot Wheels is an amazing game with simplified rules that will appeal to operators AND home buyers. I can tell you for a fact that the powers that be at A.P. visited a few of their distributors and operators a few months back and asked for suggestions and ideas.

#603 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Almost everything is better then toy car for small kids...

So far off base, Hot Wheels is a huge collectible in the adult world today.

"Through the years, Hot Wheels cars have been collected mostly by children, but since the late 1990s, there has been an increase in the number of adult collectors. Mattel estimates that 41 million children grew up playing with the toys, the average collector has over 1,550 cars, and children between the ages of 5 and 15 have an average of 41 cars. Most believe the collecting craze started with the Treasure Hunts in 1995. Mike Strauss has been called the father of Hot Wheels collecting; he has organized two collectors' events each year in some form since 1986. The first event was the Annual Hot Wheels Collectors Convention, normally held each year in the fall. The convention occurred in various locations around the country until 2001, when the first Annual Hot Wheels Collectors Nationals was put together. Since then, the Conventions are held each year in southern California. The Hot Wheels Collectors Nationals rotate among cities outside of California during the spring. Strauss has also published the quarterly Hot Wheels Newsletter since 1986 and was one of the first to unite collectors all over the world. He also writes the Tomart's Price Guide To Hot Wheels, a book listing history, car descriptions and values, which is used by almost every collector to learn more about the hobby and their collection. Strauss sold his collection in 2011 and retired from the Hot Wheels Newsletter.

There are hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of web pages dedicated to Hot Wheels collecting. Collectors are seeking everything related to Hot Wheels, from only new castings to only Red Lines and everything in between."

Only the narrow minded believe Hot Wheels belongs just to to "kiddies".

#604 4 years ago

If Stern were making Hot Wheels, LE's would sell out in seconds.

#612 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

So is stamps, your point?

Did you have great memories of playing with stamps as a kid? Or was it post office you played?

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I'm sure there are tens of grown men who collect little metal cars.

Correct version: I'm sure there are tens of thousands of grown men who collect little metal cars. This is reality whether you like it or not.

#629 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Yea, im sure you are right, there are atleast ten thousand kiddiexar collectors that never ever visited pinside, just waiting to throw 8000 on a kiddiecar pinball machine.

Take the blinders off, will ya? Why does someone have to be a Hot Wheels collector to buy a pinball machine?

#630 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I disagree.
If a great theme is coming up, there is great hype on pinside.
The examples are many.
The only one here saying it's great argue it's because some old people collect them, but stamps wouldnt work, cause apperently no children collect them.
I've only been on pinside for two years, but i've never seen any title with less hype octoberfest included.

And I am a firm believer that if Stern had announced a Hot Wheels pinball there would be pinball collectors high fiving, bragging and tripping over themselves for it.

#631 4 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Hmm...people who spend several thousand dollars on expensive toys and who complain endlessly about the most trivial of things with them making fun of other people’s hobbies and calling them childish...[quoted image]

You nailed it man! A pinball machine is just an overpriced toy for all of us grown men. Hot Wheels is kiddie shit, but Toy Story and Muppets are not? Give me a break.

All the whiners can only hope for a Barbie Machine.

#642 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

These are super fun, overpriced, coin operated toys too.[quoted image]

I am so sorry you do not know the difference between a vending machine and an amusement device. But hey, to each his own I guess.

Knock yourself out with this one.

tampon (resized).jpgtampon (resized).jpg
#644 4 years ago

I just don't get the defensiveness of some when a pinball machine is called an expensive toy. What is the issue? Is it offensive?

You play a game on a pinball machine. It has off the shelf TOYS on the playfield. Some add extra TOYS/figurines to their playfields. Some put TOYS on top of their machines. But god forbid you call the actual pinball machine a TOY?

You don't play games with a candy machine or a pop machine. You certainly don't play games with a roller coaster(unless maybe you were Michael Jackson and had your own Neverland).

Whatever. Screw this, I am going to play some Apollo 13, it's one of my big fucking toys! Let's go, who has a buck to lose?

#654 4 years ago

Hungry Hungry Hippos after a 12 pack of Little Kings is a serious thing. Just making that reference for a friend.

#661 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I think the houdini game look great.
I really hope they succed, really puzzled though going with kiddiecar theme.

Serious question, would you feel the same if JJP or Stern announced a Sponge Bob or even a Bozo's Circus pin?

#663 4 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I read through this thread and others and see so many complaints about AP pins. However, I have to ask how many of those people have actually played or even seen one? For example, I live in Minneapolis which has a very active pinball scene. Numerous locations with many many pins to play. I think there is one Octoberfest in Minnesota on route - not in Minneapolis. I played Houdini and thought it was great! I just wonder if more people had access to them if opinions would change?

I believe this to be somewhat true. I believe some are bagging on Hot Wheels just because it is A.P.

#721 4 years ago

I am done with this until after the reveal. We are all justifying love or hate for a title that might be an if, so, or maybe. My thought that Hot Wheels is a great theme is no more right than those who say it is a terrible theme. Wait and see the game, then make a judgement.

#788 4 years ago

Nah...just a kiddee game/theme... horrible idea....LOL!

I have no idea how it plays, but the 1st impression is well, impressive!

#800 4 years ago

Look at this way, mods are just 99 cents at your local Walmart!!!!

#802 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

New pinball is always fun to play it for the first few times. I hope the games plays great. I do think that this will be the best selling AP game yet, but that isn't a super high bar.

No price point yet, that will be interesting.

#1035 4 years ago

I love how all these so called experts keep using the term BOM and I bet half of the have no clue what it really means. This is just laughable. Show us the price point and then we can talk about the bill of materials. If AP prices this like a Stern Pro, you can all wipe your asses with the BOM!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Machine - For Sale
Medford, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 61.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vdojaq.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-wheels-it-is-says-kaneda?tu=vdojaq and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.