Topic Stats

• 1,387 posts
  • 314 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 65 days ago by pipes
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 129 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20200317-143034_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200317-143022_Twitter (resized).jpg
ancient-toilets-dion-greece (resized).jpg
nirmal (resized).jpeg
HW2 (resized).jpg
HW1 (resized).jpg
2F7F84C8-150A-4821-826B-DE8A0BCA8944 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1583980876793 (resized).jpg
880BF6D3-5ADF-4E8E-B690-B16404F62823 (resized).jpeg
capt_nemo (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 4.30.32 PM (resized).png
20200311_152808 (resized).jpg
2000000000850337 (resized).jpg
2000000000850339 (resized).jpg
2000000000850341 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #777 Hot wheels pinball flyer Posted by RobDutch (79 days ago)

Post #778 Picture of hot wheels pinball Posted by PismoArcade (79 days ago)

Post #838 Playfield pics Posted by wcbrandes (79 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pipes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 5 months ago

AP certainly has their own direction in terms of theme choices.

#19 5 months ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I'd like to see $6500 or less.

So you're gonna wait for a HUO then?

#78 5 months ago

If they just would have nailed the theme for their very first game out of the gate, it would have sold more than Houdini, Oktoberfest and this next game combined. Chalk this one up as another AP game I want to play but would never own.

#83 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They wouldn't pay up for specific car brand rights. If they had those kind of resources they'd obtain a better license.

Bingo!

#97 5 months ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I keep waiting for COZ to chime in. He’s the AP insider correspondent

Check the other thread, he's on it.

#178 5 months ago

I still have some hope that this is not actually their next theme choice.

#183 5 months ago

I haven't even given a single thought about Hot Wheels anything since I was about 8 years old. Is there a large base of adult Hot Wheels aficionados out there somewhere? Is this a collective effort or is there one guy giving the green light for these themes over at AP?

#189 5 months ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

I actually think this theme is kinda genius. All the other companies are zigging more for the home market so you zag and make a game like this. Huge appeal for kids on location, kids fun centers, adventurelands, go karts, dave & busters, etc.

The problem is kids don't buy pinball machines. Also, kids at these 'fun centers' want to play games with neon flashing lights and one big button that lasts 10 seconds before they move on to the next. Pinball doesn't work in these places. I'd love to put a Stern JP next to one of those new JP sit-down shooting games I see at these 'fun centers' just to see what gets played. Not even close.

Quoted from donkadelic:

This is kinda what they were going for with Oktoberfest and bars I suspect but on a much larger and smarter level.

How did that work out?

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Saying the Hot Wheels fan base won’t be buying this pin is true because they don’t buy pinball machines. History has shown us no theme’s fans buy the pinball. No title ever, so why should this be any different?

I suppose I should have phrased that as - 'adult Hot Wheel aficionados within the pinball community' instead.

#210 5 months ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

You are grossly exaggerating what all kids like.

Perhaps you are the one grossly exaggerating what all kids like. Pinball doesn't hold a candle to redemption games, VR arcades or anything with bright flashing lights and a screen with a big button.

Quoted from donkadelic:

I'll repeat again, this game is not aimed at the home collector who isn't a fan of hot wheels.

If this is actually AP's rationale for producing a pin with this theme, I'm sorry but there is no hope for them as a pinball manufacturer. The fact that you seem to think this is a good marketing strategy is troubling as well.

#216 5 months ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Playing the same game Stern & JJP are has already proven to be a losing proposition.

Spending money to acquire a popular license geared towards the pinball buyer demographic? When have AP played that game?

#238 5 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL. Mattel sells toys by the millions...they don’t need a pinball company that can barely sell a few hundred games to re-introduce anything for them.

That certainly puts things into perspective.

#266 5 months ago
Quoted from T3quila:

the Benedict Cumberbatch license probably would cost a small fortune...

I seriously doubt that the cost would be prohibitive. If Stern can get all of those Star Wars assets then any pinball company can get the Cumberbatch version of Sherlock.

#269 5 months ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I wasn’t thinking they would do a Cumberbatch version. I kind of assumed it would be a generic Sherlock Holmes.

Regardless, AP needs to hire new management in the theme department.

#272 5 months ago
Quoted from T3quila:

I think the price difference between jjp and API is literally the cost of the license. They both produce small batches with high quality components and great games.
Stern is a different animal, their scale allows them to spread the license cost across 5 to 10 times as many or more machines - between scale and decades worth of optimizing the BOM cost they are in a different spot.
When they do extra ordinary stuff that doesn't get the benefit of that you end up with 750$ toppers for example.

I agree. I don’t think every pinball manufacturer could afford the Star Wars license. The volume Stern puts out allows them the ability to do things other manufacturers cannot. The difference in cost between SW and Sherlock has to be substantial though. I don’t think Sherlock is the theme AP needs at this point but I don’t think the cost for that is out of reach should they choose to go down that path.

#356 5 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

So my dream of a Randolph Mantooth theme is dead???

As long as AP's around, that's certainly a possibility.

#380 5 months ago

Curious if anyone from AP has been taking notes from the Rick and Morty thread?

#383 5 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Yes, and the just went out and locked up the "Gone with the Wind" license.

That should be the new company slogan.

1 month later
#419 4 months ago
Quoted from RA77:

I love everything that AP do, and they do it so well with passion and integrity.
Really looking forward to your next Pinball release Team AP.

Awesome! How are you enjoying your Oktoberfest?

#420 4 months ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

A good pinball is a good pinball, I don't care if it's called Little Mermaid.

Please don't give AP any ideas.

2 weeks later
#435 3 months ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I really think the topic stats (number of posts) says it all.
I'm hopeful this was just a misdirection. I'd like to see AP pull off something similar to what happened with Rick & Morty.

This better be the case otherwise they’re going to be looking at Oktoberfest type sales numbers again.
Theme and artwork/animation are the only things holding them back from making a truly amazing game. Layout, gameplay, code and build quality are excellent. I’m hoping this rumour is not accurate.

1 week later
#499 3 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Just stopped by and with 80 new posts , I thought something dropped....

Nope, still talking about AP's horrible theme choices.

#514 3 months ago

I think if AP's next game bombs they should probably just make t-shirts from now on.

2 weeks later
#551 84 days ago

Does anyone actually have any faith that they will make a good decision with theme and art for this next game? I hope I'm wrong but I have none.

#558 83 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Fascinating, the response to this idea. I’m disappointed that the amazing ideas shown in Houdini and Oktoberfest aren’t taken seriously enough to carry this (still unrevealed!) Third title.

I agree that there are a lot of good, unique ideas in both of those games but each are incredibly flawed. In terms of sales, both were complete flops and for good reason. Oktoberfest should have never been made IMO. They need to show that they can put a complete package together if they want to be taken seriously.

#560 83 days ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

We all like different stuff, there is no right or wrong, just what we prefer.

When you own a business that needs to turn a profit, there absolutely is a right or wrong.

#563 83 days ago

I can see that with OKT. It may not do well on location. But in home it is awesome because of all the variety to try.
For business probably every cookie cutter game that is easy to figure out probably is best. But for home, a game like OKT is way better for all the variety.
I only play at home, and the more variety a pin has the longer it lasts. And for me OKT has the best variety period.
And hell no, on location I would not want to keep putting money in to try all the different stuff.

I was actually referring to AP, not operators or locations. There is a right and wrong when it comes to the decisions they make and their sales numbers are a reflection of that. I guarantee that if they could have a do-over with Oktoberfest, there wouldn’t be an Oktoberfest.

#564 83 days ago

The only thing they improved on from Houdini was the layout. I give Houdini a pass because it was really their first attempt and it was rushed. The layout/shots in the game leave a lot to be desired, let’s be honest. The art, animations, sounds and theme on Oktoberfest are absolutely atrocious. As much as I really love the layout there’s no way I would ever consider owning one. Unfortunately for AP, there’s only a few hundred people that would strongly disagree with my assessment. I’m glad that those that own it are enjoying it but you have to realize that you’re in the extreme minority otherwise they would have sold thousands. They really need to focus on delivering the total package instead of putting everything into one or two elements only.

#568 83 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ve seen speculation that up to 600 were sold, but I have no idea what that’s based on.

The speculation that I’ve seen is that the combined sales of Houdini and Oktoberfest is south of 1000. Not good.

In the meantime IMO, AP has the best quality control. My OKT, and HOU have never had any playfield issues. And both are so unique, and not cookie cutter games.

I will agree with that. I do think that AP has the potential to make a truly amazing game. There’s glimpses of that in both Houdini and Oktoberfest, no doubt about it.

#684 81 days ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I think people put way to much emphasis on theme...
If Hot Wheels is a great game (and AP can get people's attention), it will sell...if it isn't...it won't.
Hot Wheels is at least as good a theme as Houdini or Ocktoberfest, probably better.

Do you consider Oktoberfest to be a ‘great game’? If so, then why did it sell so poorly?

#720 80 days ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

R&M is a good theme and sold 750 units. That is less than the 1k sales threshold we’ve heard Balcer say is needed for a successful pin. So from American Pinball’s perspective they need to pick a great theme and execute well to sell 1k pins.

R&M sold 750 units because it was limited to that number - don’t forget that.

AP is capable of manufacturing at a much larger scale and would have been able to sell well over the 1000 mark if it was their game.

#912 79 days ago

Definitely appears to have a lower BOM than their previous games. My first thought was that it resembles something that would come out of the Stern factory.

#944 79 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Nope, it has two spinners!!

lol, true.

Quoted from J85M:

When games 1 and 2 don’t sell well, you either take a risk and through everything into make game 3 a sure fire hit or play it a little safer and cut costs in case you have soft sales again, guess AP went with the safer option.

Well, they definitely had to do something different that's for sure.

#962 79 days ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

He’s just trying to make a living...he’s a salesman...that’s what they do.

Imagine if every single distributor would do what he's doing in these discussion threads....would that be okay with you?

#1099 78 days ago

If there was ever going to be pinball in a Chuck E. Cheese (since Shrek), this is it.

#1103 78 days ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Were you not around for Shrek?

Thankfully I was not.

Quoted from pipes:

If there was ever going to be pinball in a Chuck E. Cheese since Shrek, this is it.

Fixed. Thank you!

#1127 78 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Definitely a game for kids, not that there is anything wrong with that. But I'm sure it'll turn off a lot of regular pinball collectors. Could be very popular with the grandkids though.

This theme is right up there with 'Bob the Builder' and 'Thomas the Tank Engine'. How does AP keep getting this so wrong?

#1164 78 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Their font and color usage is ponderously heinous. Who is doing that work for them?

Must be the same guy that's responsible for what's on the Oktoberfest screen. Same issues all over again. They just don't learn.

#1231 77 days ago

This absolutely looks like a Stern with crappy theme. Nothing sculpted, just flat plastics everywhere. They took quite a few steps back from Houdini and Oktoberfest in that regard.

For the love of God, that spinning car has to stop...forever.

#1246 76 days ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

OR it could be a blessing in disguise.

Just keep dropping those little nuggets, lol.

#1281 76 days ago

Mod # 1 - Lift playfield and disconnect spinning car mech.

#1285 76 days ago
Quoted from rai:

I just looked at AP site and it doesn’t even mention Hot-wheels no pictures no video. What the heck is going on?

The pinball industry just never ceases to amaze me.

#1342 73 days ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

...my one complaint about Rick an Morty is the lack of theme intigration.

Is this a joke?

#1345 72 days ago
Quoted from MEuRaH:

...the first 500 to order gets a free shaker motor...

There's going to be a lot of leftover shaker motors laying around the AP factory.

#1365 71 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Why would Stern care so much as to arrange sting operations? I can see one distributor getting PO'ed at another if they cant compete with someone who is pricing below an agreed upon minimum pricing (which seems like price fixing, but what do I know). So maybe Stern has to referee in the occasional dispute, but they should just be happy that inventory is being moved. It's only cutting into the distributors profit, not Stern's.

I will say that during a brief time, about a year and a half ago, I was close to starting a business to sell games and I was shocked to learn of some of the business practices that go on in the industry - Stern included. I know enough to say with certainty that this is absolutely something Stern would do. Looking back, I'm so glad I'm on the outside looking in.

#1372 70 days ago

I would love to ask someone at AP if they are actually encouraged by the response so far for Hot Wheels? The vibe in the "Club" thread is incredibly somber and just filled with pats on the back and "looking forward to playing one on location" type comments. I've been around here long enough to know what that means. Who really wants to buy one? There was so much more excitement for Oktoberfest and they barely sold any of those.

#1382 68 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

All industry practices are shocking. Its about bottom line, that's the way it is. I would like to know one that has a business practice that isn't shocking.

I guess you don’t know what I know then. I’ll just say that there are not too many industries where one company has 90% of the market. I own a structural steel fabrication company so as someone that has seen a fair share of dirty shit in the construction industry I will say that I was pretty shocked to learn what goes on behind the scenes between distributors and manufacturers, in particular Stern. The naivety of your post does not shock me however.

#1385 67 days ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

i have no inside information but based on the number of games that are currently on location it seems very low. According to pinballmap.com there are 48 copies on location. for comparison sake their are 34 alice coopers and ACNC had a production run of 500 units, 10 Rob zombies with a production run of 200, 67 JJP POTC - not sure what their production run was- im assuming in the 500 range.

It is definitely very low. Much less than even Houdini which flopped as well. Someone in the other thread said if Hot Wheels is half as good as Oktoberfest, it’ll be a hit. Lol, really? It literally needs to be 3 or 4 times better to be a hit for them and sell 1000 units. Why do people insist on ignoring reality? AP needs to start making better decisions.

#1387 65 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

If this pin had the BTTF theme how crazy would the anticipation be and think of the orders coming in.

I agree completely. They have shown the ability to produce a quality product and the potential is certainly there to make a hit game - they just keep making a lot of the same mistakes over and over again that hold them back.

Quoted from Hazoff:

I hope Hot Wheels is a success for them. I'm certainly looking forward to playing one.

This is the general sentiment for sure. Enthusiasm to play it but absolutely no enthusiasm to buy it. It's based on a cartoon geared towards 4 year olds and has that annoying fidget spinner on a stick - come on AP, what are you doing?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 6,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
6,295 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 149.99
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 160.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Lit Frames
$ 32.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pipes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside