Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 4.30.32 PM (resized).png
20200311_152808 (resized).jpg
2000000000850337 (resized).jpg
2000000000850339 (resized).jpg
2000000000850341 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #777 Hot wheels pinball flyer Posted by RobDutch (4 years ago)

Post #778 Picture of hot wheels pinball Posted by PismoArcade (4 years ago)

Post #838 Playfield pics Posted by wcbrandes (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's classic AP in that anybody who pays north of $7,000 for one is gonna end up desperate to sell it at $5,500 with no takers.

If the layout and mechs are as good as Octoberfest, I’ll take one at 6k and re theme that badboy

#150 4 years ago

Thundercats, He-Man & the Masters of the Universe, TMNT, Transformers G1 all great licences that cant be hugely expensive.

But saying that I’m up for new racing game especially if AP make the layout and mechs as good as Octoberfest, can always re-theme it

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Didn't Kaneda promise a CGC Alien last year about the time TWIPY voting was going on? I think I've heard this story before.

Oh it’s definitely worth taking anything K says with a pinch of salt the guys full of shit.

#171 4 years ago

Mustang is actually a better game than most give it credit for, it’s not great but it’s certainly better than a lot realise. Problem with that game was terrible release code, terrible marketing and a really restrictive theme, should have must been a muscle car theme instead Stern tried to tie it together with a last minute cross promotion.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Yep. Mustang is a truly fun game with unique features, a great shooting layout, and extensive code. Unfortunately, too many pinheads will never discover this due to its unpopular theme and underrated rep.
Hopefully, a Hot Wheels themed game, that matches Mustang's gameplay quality, won't suffer the same fate.

At this point I honestly don’t know why someone especially AP if they are doing Hot Wheels (a racing theme) doesn’t just pony up for The Fast and Furious licence.

Vin Diesel is super keen since his fallout with The Rock to expand the franchise, there’s a couple computer games coming down the pipeline which don’t exactly give the impression they have much of a budget but the licence has massive recognition and appeal something AP need on a release.

Might not be the most popular licence on pinside but it would do extremely well on route for ops and there’s more than enough pinheads whether they admit it or not that would snap one up if it was a super fast super smooth shooter with badass ramps and mechs AP are becoming known for.

#352 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

AP has two main issues - theme choice and artwork. Artwork includes the screen graphics.
Hot Wheels seems like a great redemption title, and kids don’t really care about art as much.
Anyway, when picking a theme, it’s an easy choice - go for the one with lots of action. So far neither theme from them had had any action associations. On the surface Hot Wheels might have that but the kiddie undertones kneecaps it.
I’m not going to suggest alternatives, that’s a much more personal preference. But as a group when picking these things, just ask “does this lend itself to ADULT action”. Rick and Morty passes that test.

Agree 100%

But I’ll recommend a couple themes: John Wick non stop action and cool scenes to draw from.

Fast & Furious more of action series now than racing tonnes of good action/stunt scenes.

The Matrix?

Predator, say no more!

Any of those with APs attention to mechs and rules would be awesome, if they could do a killer job of the art (isn’t Franchi with AP now?) use scenes from the films to help their lacklustre display work and they would be instant buys for most of us.

#355 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Franchi is currently working with CGC.

Knew he had gone somewhere just couldn’t recall where, thanks for the info!

#371 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've watched them all now.
The over the top action is a lot of fun, but it was at it's pinnacle with Furious 7, a great tribute to Paul Walker, and for me it will never be the same again.

Yeah 6 & 7 where venturing into superhero territory, 8 jumped the fuckin shark big time and was abit of a turd and I say that as a huge F&F fan.

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Hobbs & Shaw?

God no! That movie was complete shit, The Rocks lost the plot, pulling down helicopters with his bare hands while holding onto the back of a pick up truck, garbage!!

#385 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've enjoyed most of them since I saw the first one in the theatre when it came out.
As far as all out action, Fast 5 was pretty darn good. Still have a soft spot for Tokyo Drift too.
I watched one special about how they do most of the stunts for real in leu of computer generated and it's pretty amazing.

Fast 5 is easily the best of the franchise, give me a pin based on that movie alone and I’ll bite your damn hand off

2 months later
#542 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I can see them having some games for sale at TPF...because we all know they have not exactly been building/selling many Oktoberfests.

Has there been any sales numbers released? I gathered it wasn’t selling great which is why I’ll be surprised if this really is Hot Wheels and not just a code name for a AAA licence, surely 3 games in now AP need a massive hit!?

#545 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They need good art/art direction most desperately of all. Hopefully this pin is the turning point for that.
And if Hot Wheels turns out to be code name for Back to the Future, all the better.

BTTF would certainly be a sales monster which at this point AP must need a hit release?

#584 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I can tell you for a fact that the powers that be at A.P. visited a few of their distributors and operators a few months back and asked for suggestions and ideas.

AAA licences would have a been a good suggestion!

They need a licence here and there that gives them instant market appeal, it’s how Stern sell out before they even reveal their games.

#669 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I believe this to be somewhat true. I believe some are bagging on Hot Wheels just because it is A.P.

Couldn’t disagree more, I don’t see people bagging on AP at all, I see a lot of people who are hoping for a killer licence from AP that gives them a huge hit and a big seller.

If Stern was making Hot Wheels I’d say the same thing as I have in here, shite theme, but AP are not the leader of the industry either so they need a huge seller surely? It appears Houdini and Octoberfest didn’t sell too well so 3 titles in they need a monster hit and a universally recognised licence would give them a huge jump start with sales.

I think AP make some of the best games period but Houdini and Octoberfest just don’t cut it when it comes to mass appeal. I want AP to succeed pure and simple!

#729 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Would have been way better if they had left it Fast n Furious.

Did the info ever get leaked why F&F didn’t happen? Vin Diesel is a fan of gaming and pushing F&F into every form of media/entertainment and merchandise as he can...

#733 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

The exact opposite is true.
Roughly 20% of millionaires inherited 100K

And that’s why a world class accountant is priceless!

#758 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Stern tried to make it, but either the car manufacturers or the movie studio made it impossible apparently. The game was turned into Mustang if the rumors are true.

Vin Diesel is a huge gamer and geek, he also has more control over the franchise now than ever before, he’s branched the series out recently into a new video (looks shit though) a Netflix CG animated series which isn’t too bad my son watches it and he actually provides his voice and likeness for it. I’d be amazed if he wouldn’t be interested in having a F&F pin.

#776 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Well of course it could be attained but if the price was too high on that license for Stern I think it stands to reason that AP getting licenses for 4 or 5 cars from the F&F franchise or even a single movie is going to be cost prohibitive for them too.

If Forza can get the licensing for 2 dozen cars from Fast and Furious for a £10 dlc pack then it surely can’t be too expensive.

It will be the actors and video/audio that will cost the pretty pennies, but you could edit a pin down to just include the must haves so Vin Diesel, Paul Walker being the big two, Tyrese, Ludacris, Michelle Rodriguez should all be a lot cheaper.

The Rock most likely would cost you the biggest, but with current NIB prices I think it’s a BS excuse that a license is too expensive, beatles has been done now and a pin with The Rock on would rack it in on location!

#811 4 years ago

So where is this game on display? Any chance any pinsiders will be going by to take some more photos? Would love to see the playfield in more detail/head on.

Looks like another solid game from AP, certainly looks different from the photo we have, both Houdini and Octoberfest where great games physically but like this theme is the reason I probably wouldn’t buy for my home.

I do hope AP see massive sales/success with this release!

#814 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

He's already bent out of shape over the off-center LCD and bothered by the dinosaurs and snakes, despite those being common themes on Hot Wheels toy sets.

Where’s the damn Sharks!!

0CCAA40F-1E19-496D-86ED-B4ED8B3E86EF (resized).jpeg0CCAA40F-1E19-496D-86ED-B4ED8B3E86EF (resized).jpeg17EB3E46-2DC2-4E4A-8412-959FC0AB552B (resized).jpeg17EB3E46-2DC2-4E4A-8412-959FC0AB552B (resized).jpeg3DB6278D-3CAC-4CA8-8BA6-A62CBE20FA24 (resized).jpeg3DB6278D-3CAC-4CA8-8BA6-A62CBE20FA24 (resized).jpeg
#845 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

We are taking names on our Hot Wheels buyer list if anyone is interested. More details to follow.
Flip N Out Pinball
[email protected]

Price Zach what’s the price man, people need that info..

#847 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Layout looks like it should shoot fast and smooth, kickback left of the right ramp entrance and drop target to the inverted loop being the only slow down shots.

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Please explain what I’m doing wrong. You are on me like stink on shit.

Frustrating, but dealers have been given no info at this time. I was told more info this afternoon/evening

Cool Zach, I’m curious to see US pricing so it gives us an idea what it might cost over the pond here.

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It seems like a decent fan layout. A few of the shots do look kinda tight, like the yagov like kickback shot. I like the use of drop targets to block parts of the playfield.
It really looks like a lower BOM on the game compared to Houdini and Oktoberfest. Not much in terms of unique mechanisms or sculpted parts. Besides the ramps, they're all fairly standard parts. A few drops, some pops, some standups, etc... Maybe there is something neat like the Milk Can shot, but I'm not seeing it in the photos.
The VUK shot to the curved ramp to the return is neat. It kinda reminds me of the juggler on Hurricane. I wonder how reliable the ball will follow the path without any side guides.

A loop the loop, a corkscrew or jump ramp where no brainers for this theme.

Pop bumpers as pistons instead of cheap plastic tyres would have been nice.

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Pinball Enthusiasts Facebook group has a 15 second video of it being played.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pinballenthusiasts/

Can someone post to YouTube for those without Facebook. Thanks.

#887 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's not a theory. He works for Pinball Life and designs games as a consultant to Spooky, who buys their parts from Pinball Life.

Why spend all the time and money developing a new mech when you can use existing mechs and implement them in a fun way?

End result is almost likely the same but cost is way down allowing him to put even more in the game like all those LED control boards.

#924 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Definitely appears to have a lower BOM than their previous games. My first thought was that it resembles something that would come out of the Stern factory.

When games 1 and 2 don’t sell well, you either take a risk and throw everything into make game 3 a sure fire hit or play it a little safer and cut costs in case you have soft sales again, guess AP went with the safer option.

#984 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I have to think this is an attempt to get a lower cost game into the marketplace. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't have as much "stuff" going on to justify a Stern Premium level price-point. I bet this thing launches lower than a Stern Pro price.

If it shoots as fast and smooth as it might look too and it does come out below stern pro pricing then I’ll take one to re-theme

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Hey man we agree! Oktoberfest had a shit load of mechanics for the price, I really like it. As a company though unfortunately they feel compelled to go another direction to try and keep the lights on. It sucks, but its business I guess. I hope they sell the hell out of it.

AP don’t need to cheap out, at the very least they just need good to decent licences to grab that initial attention/the sweet nostalgic spot of the collector and licences that will make punters walk up to them in the wild and drop coin in them. AAA licences would cost them but also pull in sales sight unseen, it’s what Stern do successfully 3-4 times a year, it’s proven it works.

F&F would kill on location and plenty of pinheads would buy a super fast smooth shooter with that licence even if they say they wouldn’t because they don’t like the franchise, a butter smooth lightening quick shooter would sell and as for the location it would be huge the films have worldwide appeal and stick the rock on the translite no matter the cost and you would have a line queuing up.

#1078 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

After watching more video it appears is does have full RGB even for GI, something Stern's Premiums and LEs don't even have and I think is a huge distinction!

Totally agree, I just put STLE next to BM66LE and the lightshow on STLE blows BM66 away, it’s a shame Stern stopped doing full RGB.

APs games have the goodies, they just don’t have the licenses to get them instant mass appeal, Stern realised theme matters and with a good theme and good art you can get away with a lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-wheels-it-is-says-kaneda?tu=j85m and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.