Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 4.30.32 PM (resized).png
20200311_152808 (resized).jpg
2000000000850337 (resized).jpg
2000000000850339 (resized).jpg
2000000000850341 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #777 Hot wheels pinball flyer Posted by RobDutch (4 years ago)

Post #778 Picture of hot wheels pinball Posted by PismoArcade (4 years ago)

Post #838 Playfield pics Posted by wcbrandes (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I swear folks, JJP and AP are their own worst enemy. Of all the instant buys out they choose Hot Wheels? Let's make it easy for them
1. The Matrix
2. MIB
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Star Wars Battlefront or Rebels
5. Lord of the Rings: Middle Earth
6. Wolverine
7. Despicable Me
Etc...etc.... They need to stop listening to whoever is telling them to make these nonesense titles.....damn why can't they be like Stern and just come here and rip off our ideas.

I don't disagree that a major popular theme would be a big seller, but all 7 of the franchises you mention are EXTREMELY expensive themes. Maybe Red Dead Redemption or MIB might be a tiny bit less costly. Any pinball manufacturer that tries to do Lord of the Rings and tries to keep it under 10K will end up with a Zizzle.

#172 4 years ago

If this theme is true, AP's innovative designs should knock the mechs out of the park. Few have actually played Oktoberfest and seen the creativity that went into that game.

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

The silence from AP is deafening. If it wasn't Hot Wheels, I would have expected them to shoot this down quickly as they are pretty active here.

That's not how you do a reveal though

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Let’s pray to GOD there is NEVER a TMNT game created. Please sounds like the worst theme possible for Stern. I will repeat Hot Wheels has a collector base of 41 million people. Over 6 billion hot wheels have been sold. I was just in the Apple Store today and even they’re selling these new app based Hot Wheels. You people just don’t understand the market outside of pinball. Rick and Marty is NOT going to be able to complete with Hot Wheels not in 5 lifetimes. Either way congrats to Spooky. Good luck with your game. Game looks fun! Either way can’t compare Hot Wheels to anything because its not released. You have about 4 months to wait.

Isn't there already a TMNT game? And if I'm not mistaken, it's godawful.

2 months later
#555 4 years ago

Fascinating, the response to this idea. I’m disappointed that the amazing ideas shown in Houdini and Oktoberfest aren’t taken seriously enough to carry this (still unrevealed!) Third title.

#562 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I agree that there are a lot of good, unique ideas in both of those games but each are incredibly flawed. In terms of sales, both were complete flops and for good reason. Oktoberfest should have never been made IMO. They need to show that they can put a complete package together if they want to be taken seriously.

Flawed how? Oktoberfest is really fun, and has some incredibly innovative modes and mechs, as does Houdini

#566 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I’ve never seen sales numbers for Houdini? How many units were made and sold?

I’ve seen speculation that up to 600 were sold, but I have no idea what that’s based on.

#578 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

My understanding is he landed a similar job local soon that will fully appreciate his hard work and dedication. Good guy.

Oh damn. Well done JJP

#582 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Dan isn't at API anymore either. Didn't know about Barry though. They had really an awesome team assembled there.
Hope their third game sells like hotcakes. I for my part line my Oktoberfest.

Dan too? Crap. I just saw him post the other day about game 3.

#660 4 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I read through this thread and others and see so many complaints about AP pins. However, I have to ask how many of those people have actually played or even seen one? For example, I live in Minneapolis which has a very active pinball scene. Numerous locations with many many pins to play. I think there is one Octoberfest in Minnesota on route - not in Minneapolis. I played Houdini and thought it was great! I just wonder if more people had access to them if opinions would change?

This is, unfortunately the main area where I think AP messed up. They did a great job advertising the game at PinFest and other shows - the creators Of Houdini (Joe and Josh) went to the shows and talked with lots of people, they were super Friendly and sold the game well -

But then the shows were over, and AP seemed to be marketing towards the home user. The games went to only a very few operators, the initial code was very operator-unfriendly,
NO ONE knew how to set the games up correctly, and for me - in 2 different locations in Washington DC, the game was down every time I went. I believe the Ops were in touch with AP, but IMO they should have figured out a way to keep those games running 24/7. Send a tech, maybe?

AP waited for the orders to come in from home buyers, but due to the recent Heighway and TBL debacles they were slow to Get on board with an unproved manufacturer. And since few games were on location to play... Houdini just faded out of memory.

I was super impressed by the game and theme and bought one. Spent a little time dialing it in (like any game), and it still stands up in my gameroom. Still haven’t even come close to mastering it, and I play it frequently.

That gap between the debut and release (and nothing On location!) allowed the trolls to come in and crap all over the game. And almost none of them had played it. How do I know? Figure out how many Houdini’s are on location. It ain’t many. And every person who plays it at my house says “wow, I was expecting that to be bad! That game is awesome!”

Marketing matters :/

#700 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

At a location in New Ulm, an hour and a half south of the Twin Cities. And only open limited hours, Thursday and Sunday I believe.

I was in contact with dandandan about this when he was still at AP. He tried and tried to no avail. He agreed with me. How can you sell games if people don't see them. Not everybody goes to shows.
LTG : )

Bingo. I tried REALLY hard to play those games on location - and eventually bought one based on my experience at Allentown, but that’s a very small number of players who would do that

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Wealthy people don't become OR stay wealthy, due to being money ignorant. That's somethin' us poor dumb dumbs excel at.

MOST wealthy people start wealthy. Them, and the few that break through keep the wealth the way you described.

#715 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

No, I don't consider it to be a great game (though in fairness I only played it a couple of times). But that's my point, it didn't do well because it wasn't a great game (and also a lot of people just never saw/played it at all).
But it didn't fail because of the theme - it failed because so few got to play it, and those that did were not overly impressed.
So if AP can fix THOSE issues, then Hot Wheels (which is at least as good a theme as their previous ones) can do well.

Oktoberfest is a GREAT playfield layout, the mechs are cool, the ramps are really cool - the rules are really fun and extremely creative. It’s all the stuff people say they want. Maybe it should have been an easier game for casuals If they were going to sell to breweries. And too bad it couldn’t have been easily rethemed into “Root Beer Oktoberfest” for inclusion in places that look down on alcohol related themes.

#718 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Except for theme.

Right - all the stuff people *say* they want. But I'd say the theme has to connect too.

#731 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

But inherited wealth started somewhere....
Gates and Bezos started out as plebes.
Rockefeller and Carnegie were regular people as well.

Sure. Hence the "few that break through" that I mentioned. But that not even close to the majority

#734 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

The exact opposite is true.
Roughly 20% of millionaires inherited 100K
Around 2% inherited 1 million or more

I concede - this article is really interesting, especially the end:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/majority-of-the-worlds-richest-people-are-self-made-says-new-report.html

#753 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Was Fast and the Furious ever in serious consideration? I think it'd make a solid theme, but I know the licensing for all the major stars and different vehicle makes and brands would be prohibitively expensive.

Stern tried to make it, but either the car manufacturers or the movie studio made it impossible apparently. The game was turned into Mustang if the rumors are true.

#783 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Hot damn that looks better than I ever would expect it!

Totally agree. The Hot Wheels logo is pretty godawful but the game looks really good!

#787 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The display is smaller (maybe not, hard to tell for sure) and moved off-center which is kinda weird but may help from an backglass art perspective. Also looks like they went back to the Houdini-style backbox. I'm sure we'll be getting some more pics of the actual game soon.

Display looks about the same size as houdini, just off-center, as you mentioned

#809 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The real question here is what inane tidbit of the game will Kaneda latch on to and hammer into the ground in an effort to make everyone hate it? My guess is the use of fantasy cars as opposed to real models of muscle cars.

I’m sure licensing with all the different potential car manufacturers would be a nightmare. Makes sense really. Also There’s a dinosaur on the art, so I’m assuming a tie in with some of the stunt sets they sell. The modes have potential to be ridiculous!

#837 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

I have no great love for API and I can say with no reservation it is a very fun shooting game and cool rule set.

Ouch Dan. Hope you landed ok!

#986 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They are now.
LTG : )

LOL

#988 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow, looks like a sophomore designed it
They need to hire a better designer ASAP.

a... "sophomore" ? Can't say I've ever actually heard that used in a derogatory way since I was in college... No wait, no, not even then!

#1274 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Hot Wheels had some pretty cool art when I was a kid during the redline era (68-77), and I still have a collection of redline cars from that era. I was hoping American Pinball would have an LE that featured vintage redline cars and art, but I figured it probably wouldn't happen as Mattel would probably want to use modern art which they approved. Sure enough, that looks to be the way it went. Unfortunately the whole modern Hot Wheels City thing battling dinosaurs and other beasts is just weird to me.
What I was hoping for is the "mod" style art that appeared on some posters and boxes in the very early 70's (like the attached pics). I guess a lot of people might view it as being too dated and I'm pretty sure Mattel would agree, but I think it would have been cool.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Holy crap that is cool! Reminds me of the styles used in stuff like Danger Mouse and The Phantom Tollbooth way back when. I wonder if Hot Wheels ever had some Ed Roth art going on?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Munroe Falls, OH
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Atoka, TN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Medford, NY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 61.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-wheels-it-is-says-kaneda?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.