capt_nemo (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 4.30.32 PM (resized).png
20200311_152808 (resized).jpg
2000000000850337 (resized).jpg
2000000000850339 (resized).jpg
2000000000850341 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 28.
#1251 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I hope they get some games on location quick so people can see and play them. And want to buy them.
Reveal not happening at TPF ( and maybe MGC ? ) could hurt things. Not a lot of AP games on location. Most people get exposed to them at shows.
LTG : )

I went to the Cleveland show last year JUST to take OKT for a spin. Got one quick game one it but couldn't hear it, so I figured I go back later when the crowds thinned out and get some quality time on it. Went back...and it (the only one) had went to the seminar room. Crap. Came back in the early AM again to play...nope - in the women's tournament. Never had another chance to play. Haven't seen it in the wild since so I never bought.

Our Houdini is the wife's fav pin, and I still enjoy the daylights out of it. Too bad, missed opportunity.

On the bright side, got some Magic Glass from Dan and chatted w/Barry (alway fun).

#1252 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah....
Though API games feel very sturdy, and I like the feel of the flippers a bit more so than Stern.
Definitely a different approach by them.

Not to mention way deeper modes and tricky shots, just too deep and challenging for most people to experience at a show or arcade unfortunately. Thats why they came out with this kiddy version for the complainers. BTW the person who is going to respond about "tricky shots" and how they stink hasn't played either game in a long time and needs to practice. Or the machine wasn't set up right.

#1253 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Not to mention way deeper modes and tricky shots, just too deep and challenging for most people to experience at a show or arcade unfortunately. Thats why they came out with this kiddy version for the complainers. BTW the person who is going to respond about "tricky shots" and how they stink hasn't played either game in a long time and needs to practice. Or the machine wasn't set up right.

What kiddy version?

#1254 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

OR it could be a blessing in disguise.

Maybe your new alias should be DigDigDIG....

#1255 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

The more I look at this the more I dont understand. The Hot Wheels city animation videos are weird and not something I want to watch and play. Id play this but Ill be curious to see how many sell.

You're probably not the target demographic. They need 10 year olds with 6K plus to spend...

actually maybe it's meant to fit in with the redemption machines for the younger crowd. Seems like a good idea but with those ops used to low maintenance machines... would they even want a pin? Most don't seem to.

#1256 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What kiddy version?

A kids theme game with simple ramps etc. Not to say hot wheels cant be enjoyed by adults as well. Most of us still follow star wars I think. Its not steampunk magic or fest drinking.

#1257 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

A kids theme game with simple ramps etc. Not to say hot wheels cant be enjoyed by adults as well. Most of us still follow star wars I think. Its not steampunk magic or fest drinking.

They didn't make a kid-friendly game. Check out the VERY narrow shots on the left and right sides. They're essentially the same as the trunk shot on Houdini. Very narrow, non-kid friendly lanes in a kid-friendly theme. A pin made for no one.

#1258 4 years ago

Ok, how about this for a toy to replace the spinning car of repetition... with a spinning car of repetition?

How many of you ever joined the track together end to end to form a continuous loop, then put your car on it and then get it spinning in a continuous loop-loop-loop fashion?

Ok, put in a slowly revolving continuous loop of track offset at a 45 degree angle... a plexiglass disk with the car mounted to it could be spun from the perimeter using rubber wheels hidden in the base... a single motor drives both the rotation of the track mount and the plexi disk. Now you have this oscillating and mesmerizing centerpiece that speeds up and down as the car continuously travels in its loop-loop-loop path. At least you would have a car doing a loop for crisakes.

#1259 4 years ago

Heck, even Hallmark knew to put a loop in their ornament... and that vuk is technically not a loop... just saying.

2F7F84C8-150A-4821-826B-DE8A0BCA8944 (resized).jpeg2F7F84C8-150A-4821-826B-DE8A0BCA8944 (resized).jpeg
#1260 4 years ago

The VUK feeds that upside down vertical "loop" on left.
Looks like there's something there to deflect the energy from blowing up the ramp below.
(I set the time on this re-post) to see it. 3:12 -to- 3:19

#1261 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They didn't make a kid-friendly game. Check out the VERY narrow shots on the left and right sides. They're essentially the same as the trunk shot on Houdini. Very narrow, non-kid friendly lanes in a kid-friendly theme. A pin made for no one.

Did you watch the video? They say it is simplified. Which it is. This is the second time I heard complaints about the outlanes? No one appears to be having trouble making the shots? Doesn't look difficult to me.

#1262 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Did you watch the video? They say it is simplified. Which it is. This is the second time I heard complaints about the outlanes? No one appears to be having trouble making the shots? Doesn't look difficult to me.

That right ramp and right outlane look super smooth. Maybe the left lane isn't as much, but still...two repeatable shots is more than Houdini and Oktoberfest. Dude loops the right ramp three times in a row

#1263 4 years ago

I can get over the theme, actually the playfield design looks fun and good for location play.

But I cannot get over that it is priced higher than a Stern Pro while it is missing the real loop (this is just a large VUK, why not use an angle, like look-to-loop?), has of-center display, ugly back box (total deal breaker) and sub-par back box graphics (the rest is good enough).

All can be fixed if they are willing, except the missing loop, or can they?

#1264 4 years ago

I like their work on the stop animation visuals...that was pretty clever, but then we come to the design, I've never been a fan of Balcer's work. He always finds a way to mess up a decent layout....I can't explain it. Also who the f*ck came up with Poker Run and Valkyrie as themes?! I seriously hope he gets his head checked.
So making pinball is hard, eh? Yeah, yeah...spare me. There are dozens of dudes who've made homebrew games that have great layouts so I don't buy that excuse for the design part. I emailed them early on about picking up Stranger Things as theme but they told me that it didn't fit their strategy....but Poker Run

#1265 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I think this is pretty much on point.

I feel like I like the rest of the layout, but that car is going to make me mental. I second this motion!

#1266 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I like their work on the stop animation visuals...that was pretty clever, but then we come to the design, I've never been a fan of Balcer's work. He always finds a way to mess up a decent layout....I can't explain it. Also who the f*ck came up with Poker Run and Valkyrie as themes...I seriously hope he gets his head checked.
So making pinball is hard, eh? Yeah, yeah...spare me. There are dozens of dudes who've made homebrew games that have great layouts so I don't buy that excuse for the design part. I emailed them early on about picking up Stranger Things as theme but they told me that it didn't fit their strategy....but Poker Run

Did I miss something? They are making a poker title next?

#1267 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Did I miss something? They are making a poker title next?

They have a list of other public domain titles they're targeting. Sherlock is the best of the bunch.

#1268 4 years ago

OKT is my favorite period. I had sold a machine I was tired of and just wanted to try something new, and I like beer, and amusement park stuff, so I said why not. Glad I did, OKT not going anywhere.

My distributor kept talking about HOU, and how he loved it, and in his collection, so I sold another machine I was tired of and picked up a HOU. Still on the fence with my HOU, but it will also be a long time before I would get rid of it, too many things I still want to try.

So anyway, I have been like hell yeah, I love AP games, I am in on whatever their 3rd game is. And at no time did I ever plan to be first in line on their 3rd game, I always wait a while and read comments from owners.

For a long time it has been planned the next game here is a 2020 Golden Tee, and after that AP's 3rd pin. Hot Wheels may or may not happen here, depends on owners comments for me.

Who knows, Hot Wheels may have awesome code like OKT, with all kinds of things to do. From the pics I have seen here the shots look tight like on HOU.

Anyway, if any of you plan to be in my area, you can shoot me a pm to see if I am available to try the OKT. To understand it you do have to study the benefits from each Stein, and decide what strategy you want to try for...so many different ways to try this game it is so awesome. But so deep you have to sit and think a bit. With OKT if you just bat the ball around with no clue you will never enjoy it. If you have a plan before you plunge the first ball of what you want to try for, you will get it and love it. The game is deep in a great way.

And back to Hot Wheels. Like I said, looks tight like HOU, and I am still on the fence with that, but, BUT, if it turns out AP has combined the tight shots of HOU, with the awesome deep stuff that OKT has, I am in.

This is where I am at right now. OKT not going anywhere, TWD not going anywhere, JJPOTCSE not going anywhere.

MET Monsters Prem, and SMVE on the fence, along with HOU.

Seriously, you need 2-3 hours of OKT to get it, and once you do, GOAT. And I am keeping a open mind about HW, until I know more.

#1269 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I like their work on the stop animation visuals

You like that work.....because it's not theirs. It's from the Hot Wheels branded Youtube show.

You're familiar with their animation work from Houdini and Oktoberfest...................

#1270 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

It has the best flow of any API game and IMHO the funnest to shoot, I didn't find any shot terribly hard to make.
The rules are very intuitive and fun probably my favorite Josh has done to date.

#1271 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok, how about this for a toy to replace the spinning car of repetition... with a spinning car of repetition?
How many of you ever joined the track together end to end to form a continuous loop, then put your car on it and then get it spinning in a continuous loop-loop-loop fashion?
Ok, put in a slowly revolving continuous loop of track offset at a 45 degree angle... a plexiglass disk with the car mounted to it could be spun from the perimeter using rubber wheels hidden in the base... a single motor drives both the rotation of the track mount and the plexi disk. Now you have this oscillating and mesmerizing centerpiece that speeds up and down as the car continuously travels in its loop-loop-loop path. At least you would have a car doing a loop for crisakes.

We were thinking along the same lines, but even more simple. Just make the continuous loop vertical and have the spinning car incorporate a 90degree gearbox. Now you have a car doing a vertical loop and could mount the track loop around the area it’s spinning.

#1272 4 years ago

Hot Wheels had some pretty cool art when I was a kid during the redline era (68-77), and I still have a collection of redline cars from that era. I was hoping American Pinball would have an LE that featured vintage redline cars and art, but I figured it probably wouldn't happen as Mattel would probably want to use modern art which they approved. Sure enough, that looks to be the way it went. Unfortunately the whole modern Hot Wheels City thing battling dinosaurs and other beasts is just weird to me.

What I was hoping for is the "mod" style art that appeared on some posters and boxes in the very early 70's (like the attached pics). I guess a lot of people might view it as being too dated and I'm pretty sure Mattel would agree, but I think it would have been cool.
HW1 (resized).jpgHW1 (resized).jpgHW2 (resized).jpgHW2 (resized).jpg

#1273 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

It has the best flow of any API game and IMHO the funnest to shoot, I didn't find any shot terribly hard to make.
The rules are very intuitive and fun probably my favorite Josh has done to date.

That is good to hear.

#1274 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Hot Wheels had some pretty cool art when I was a kid during the redline era (68-77), and I still have a collection of redline cars from that era. I was hoping American Pinball would have an LE that featured vintage redline cars and art, but I figured it probably wouldn't happen as Mattel would probably want to use modern art which they approved. Sure enough, that looks to be the way it went. Unfortunately the whole modern Hot Wheels City thing battling dinosaurs and other beasts is just weird to me.
What I was hoping for is the "mod" style art that appeared on some posters and boxes in the very early 70's (like the attached pics). I guess a lot of people might view it as being too dated and I'm pretty sure Mattel would agree, but I think it would have been cool.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Holy crap that is cool! Reminds me of the styles used in stuff like Danger Mouse and The Phantom Tollbooth way back when. I wonder if Hot Wheels ever had some Ed Roth art going on?

#1275 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

The main toy is just annoying and it spinning in mid air is more suited for an airplane game than a car game. Maybe they can code it to only spin at certain achievements rather than all the time.

I agree. Just watching the car spin over and over again in the video was giving me a headache. The spinning car appears to the single toy on the game and yet it doesn't interact with the ball, or player even, at all...

Has it been confirmed if pricing is lower on Hot Wheels due to AP scaling back toys / mechs?

#1276 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

doesn't interact with the ball

First off, have you seen what Stern does lately when they “interact” with the ball? The truck in JP? The Black Knight in BKSOR? Pretty beefy toys, with a $$ hit on BOM. With AP “scaling back” from OKT and HOU it is no wonder the most interactive thing in the machine is a drop target and VUK...

Engineering something to take ball strikes AND change the directional of movement of the ball requires more cost, more testing, more hassles. Operators know that if you put a toy on the playfield it better be rock solid, non-destructible, and if it does break, doesn’t take the machine completely out of commission with it. This machine looks like a Stern Pro on steroids that had its heart, liver, and lungs ripped out at the last second. Good for operating at Chuck E. Cheese, but not a great effort for the player/collectors IMO. They would have been better off re-skinning OKT with Hot Wheels art than this scaled back, Pro-like offering. But this may all be for naught with a shrinking economy.

#1277 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yeah, all these latest pics of the screen and display looks perfectly fine.

And yet two years from now people will still be harping on the How Wheels screens. That's what we do. We're mindless sheep that can no longer rationally think about things or change opinion from an initial, blurry cell phone image. The complete awfulness of a font selection will be forever etched in our collective memories.

#1278 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

First off, have you seen what Stern does lately when they “interact” with the ball? The truck in JP? The Black Knight in BKSOR? Pretty beefy toys, with a $$ hit on BOM. With AP “scaling back” from OKT and HOU it is no wonder the most interactive thing in the machine is a drop target and VUK...
Engineering something to take ball strikes AND change the directional of movement of the ball requires more cost, more testing, more hassles. Operators know that if you put a toy on the playfield it better be rock solid, non-destructible, and if it does break, doesn’t take the machine completely out of commission with it. This machine looks like a Stern Pro on steroids that had its heart, liver, and lungs ripped out at the last second. Good for operating at Chuck E. Cheese, but not a great effort for the player/collectors IMO. They would have been better off re-skinning OKT with Hot Wheels art than this scaled back, Pro-like offering. But this may all be for naught with a shrinking economy.

Yes, interactive toys cost money but isn't that why we are paying all time record high prices for games? If these games were still $4k-$5k I can see the justification for minimal toys, plastic ramps, etc. However, for $7k+ there needs to be more than two plastic ramps and orbits to justify the cost of a game in my opinion. A plastic spinning car for $7k+ that doesn't interact with the ball and it being the only real toy on the playfield? I don't see the value there.

#1279 4 years ago

I love Houdini and Oktoberfest as themes but seriously, Poker Run is the most stupid theme idea ever.

#1280 4 years ago

The first thing I think I would do on this game would mod that spinning car with a large redline style plastic wheel instead.
Should be far less distracting!

#1281 4 years ago

Mod # 1 - Lift playfield and disconnect spinning car mech.

#1282 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't see the value there.

Me either.

#1283 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Quoted from pipes:

I like the game but that constant spinning car ? AP you need to change this !!!

#1284 4 years ago

I just looked at AP site and it doesn’t even mention Hot-wheels no pictures no video. What the heck is going on?

#1285 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I just looked at AP site and it doesn’t even mention Hot-wheels no pictures no video. What the heck is going on?

The pinball industry just never ceases to amaze me.

#1286 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

link to video
May just be me, but the car spinning around is really distracting.
Looks like it may be a fun game, but it's just not a theme i want to put in my basement
https://www.facebook.com/KnappArcade/videos/534173290561435/?v=534173290561435&external_log_id=783694640f976e06ab5b7c7125324320&q=hot%20wheels%20pinball

It is hard to explain but the spinning car actually causes me to have eye aching. I don't see the point in it spinning at all.

#1287 4 years ago

I've concluded in a brilliant tactical decision, API scaled down Hot Wheels to sell existing units of Houdini and Oktoberfest.....as they sure as hell seem far more appealing than they did a week ago in comparison

#1288 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I've concluded in a brilliant tactical decision, API scaled down Hot Wheels to sell existing units of Houdini and Oktoberfest.....as they sure as hell seem far more appealing than they did a week ago in comparison

Ah c'mon be nice

Except for the nausea inducing spinning car it looks pretty good. They had to work with the license and I think they represented it decently. A different toy would have been preferable but it looks fast and fun to shoot. It's not too late for them to change/modify the car from the feedback they've been so happily given. Repeatedly...

I'm still not sure who it's marketed for but I gotta trust they did their homework on this.

#1289 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Ah c'mon be nice
Except for the nausea inducing spinning car it looks pretty good. They had to work with the license and I think they represented it decently. A different toy would have been preferable but it looks fast and fun to shoot. It's not too late for them to change/modify the car from the feedback they've been so happily given. Repeatedly...
I'm still not sure who it's marketed for but I gotta trust they did their homework on this.

I was just thinking how the Houdini pops are some of the best ever, visually, in a game. Hot Wheels isn't approaching anything novel, at all.

I was being legitimately serious, as there are many API haters out there, and I've never seen so much praise for their 2 existing games, as I have since the non release, non announced yet announced, Hot Wheels game.

And if they'd done their homework, Oktoberfest would never have been created. (Personally, I like the theme!)

#1290 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

You like that work.....because it's not theirs. It's from the Hot Wheels branded Youtube show.
You're familiar with their animation work from Houdini and Oktoberfest...................

Ha, that explains it....thanks

#1291 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

as they sure as hell seem far more appealing than they did a week ago

Someone needs to reskin an Oktoberfest as Hotwheels using the same artwork so people could imagine what that would have been like... and if I was an employee of AP, I would do it in my basement and take it to a show as a home brew...

#1292 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Nothing there and nothing stated publicly, wonder if they don't yet have approvals to announce and share stuff. Spooky was limited in what they could show on RAM, waiting on approvals. Maybe they had approval for it to be at the show but not to release things on the internet and elsewhere.

Seems like rosh and Ferret are usually active and responsive on pinside, and they have not shown up in any Hot wheels thread, but looks like they have been active in Houdini and Oktoberfest threads, so have to wonder if they are not allowed to talk about things yet.

#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from spoke:

Seems like rosh and ferret are usually active and responsive on pinside, and we they have not shown up in any Hot wheels thread, but looks like they have been active in Houdini and Oktoberfest threads, so have to wonder if they are not allowed to talk about things yet.

They might be traveling back from the AMOA show too.

#1294 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They might be traveling back from the AMOA show too.

Maybe they're waiting till an official press release is made.

I do wonder what their thoughts are on this game.

#1295 4 years ago

If I was a buyer of this game, the first thing I would do is rip out that stupid spinning car. God that is pathetic! Who comes up with these ideas? Does anyone at American Pinball realize it cost them money to make the game less appealing?

#1296 4 years ago

the spinning car should be offered as an option.

#1297 4 years ago

a few quick twists of the screwdriver and that car spinning problem would be gone... I favor modders coming up with something less vertigo inducing...

#1298 4 years ago

Interesting....

Goes live/premieres in a minute, by the way!

Go toddtuckey !

#1299 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I love Houdini and Oktoberfest as themes but seriously, Poker Run is the most stupid theme idea ever.

When they asked for a show of hands of the potential upcoming themes at a show panel, only Sherlock got a significant number of hands. Hot Wheels wasn't on the list at the time.

#1300 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Goes live/premieres in a minute, by the way!

Premiers. Not live. Some people in that video aren't with AP anymore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Munroe Falls, OH
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 61.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Medford, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-wheels-it-is-says-kaneda/page/26?hl=dandandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.