capt_nemo (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 4.30.32 PM (resized).png
20200311_152808 (resized).jpg
2000000000850337 (resized).jpg
2000000000850339 (resized).jpg
2000000000850341 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 28.
#1201 4 years ago

Absolutely terrible! Kaneda is 1000% right! How does this company continue to blow it with themes. The sad thing is the layout is not bad, but the execution of this theme is just wrong. And that back box!!! OMG!!! So friggin ugly, I would never let one of their games exist in my line up.

#1202 4 years ago

I think the backglass looks sharp. The monitor offset doesn't bother me.

But...despite the fact that I'm seriously artistic ignorant, I think it would have been really neat to just grab the missing backglass art (where the monitor is at) and use the display to 'fill in' that missing artwork for when the high scores were shown (i.e. the orange track loop continues thru the display). Almost an illusion that makes the display disappear. Might be tough color matching tho.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1203 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

But...despite the fact that I'm seriously artistic ignorant, I think it would have been really neat to just grab the missing backglass art (where the monitor is at) and use the display to 'fill in' that missing artwork for when the high scores were shown (i.e. the orange track loop continues thru the display). Almost an illusion that makes the display disappear. Might be tough color matching tho.
[quoted image]

That's a pretty brilliant idea!

#1204 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image]

Didn't they do this on Houdini?

#1205 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Didn't they do this on Houdini?

I was actually going to mention that but didn't feel like typing.

Yep, part of the glass is the audience w/a curtain on the sides of the monitor opening. Then the curtain 'extends' onto the screen and open/closes during game play.

#1206 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Not saying it's right, but in AP's defense, their past games' graphics were pretty basic upon initial reveal as well. They subsequently improved a lot as code was developed further.
Now whether they improved enough is a different matter ...

The core issue of font selection, font size and placement, color choices, and general UI art direction are a problem across all AP games. ALL of them. Like I said, the UI reeks of "programmer art" that you would use as a placeholder in a commercial game and replace with the real thing later, only they don't do that. It's tragic, given their clear aspirations to quality evidenced in the mechanical construction of the machines.

#1207 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Yep, part of the glass is the audience w/a curtain on the sides of the monitor opening. Then the curtain 'extends' onto the screen and open/closes during game play.

Thought so. Possible they could do it on Hotwheels. Especially given the screen placement.

#1208 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I liked the idea what Quetzal Pinball did with Captain Nemo and the playfield display.

capt_nemo (resized).jpgcapt_nemo (resized).jpg
#1209 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I liked the idea what Quetzal Pinball did with Captain Nemo and the playfield display.[quoted image]

Exactly like that. I'll have to look that pin up - never heard of it.

#1210 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Exactly like that. I'll have to look that pin up - never heard of it.

It is very cool, I nearly got on the order list, but couldn't pull the trigger. It looked great and I loved the theme.

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2017/03/01/captain-nemo-in-depth-review/

#1211 4 years ago
880BF6D3-5ADF-4E8E-B690-B16404F62823 (resized).jpeg880BF6D3-5ADF-4E8E-B690-B16404F62823 (resized).jpeg
#1212 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image]

I just noticed that the display IS part of the art package. It’s like a Jumbotron display in the art. See how it’s attached to that metal structure with the lights?

#1214 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just noticed that the display IS part of the art package. It’s like a Jumbotron display in the art. See how it’s attached to that metal structure with the lights?

I noticed that too, but thought it was rather odd. Only thing I could think of was they were trying to replicate the jumbo screens at the race tracks.

#1215 4 years ago

I really like this machine. They could have placed 4 Score LEDs in the right places and it would look perfect with the 89 SS Vibe.
Can I purchase one? Doubtful. Will definitely look forward to playing it, Hot Wheels meant a lot to me in 1975.

#1216 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image]

So i just saw this on FB. Either they fixed it, or bad initial pic. Much better..

FB_IMG_1583980876793 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1583980876793 (resized).jpg
#1217 4 years ago

Yeah, all these latest pics of the screen and display looks perfectly fine.

#1218 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

So i just saw this on FB. Either they fixed it, or bad initial pic. Much better..[quoted image]

That is an improvement.

#1219 4 years ago

Still no official announcement from AP?

#1221 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

So i just saw this on FB. Either they fixed it, or bad initial pic. Much better..[quoted image]

I think it looks cool the way it’s integrated into the art.

#1222 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I think it looks cool the way it’s integrated into the art.

I loved what they did with the screen on Houdini. If it's anything like that I think it's an improvement over just plopping the screen in the middle. I have zero artistic sensibilities, though. In fact I think I might be font-blind as I never have any idea what people are talking about with all these 'H's and stuff.

#1224 4 years ago

Critiqueing all this display stuff is pointless. Everything is pretty much a placeholder at the moment. Since when has screen graphics been set in stone after a stern reveal? Oktoberfest is completely different than a year ago when it came out. Placement makes sense to me since the side area would have been dead space. Glad they are always trying something different keepin it fresh.

#1225 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Critiqueing all this display stuff is pointless. Everything is pretty much a placeholder at the moment. Since when has screen graphics been set in stone after a stern reveal? Oktoberfest is completely different than a year ago when it came out. Placement makes sense to me since the side area would have been dead space. Glad they are always trying something different keepin it fresh.

Don't confuse 'not done yet' with 'shit, we gotta change this because it wasn't good enough'

#1226 4 years ago

i would 100% buy this for my basement if I had an 8 yr old son
but as a 51 yr old, it holds zero interest for me except for location play
I actually like the Houdini and Oktoberfest themes better

#1227 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm spending that much money, I'm going big. My next door neighbor had one of these in his garage.
The coincidence is one of the kids from the neighborhood I haven't see since the 70s that used to hang out there just stopped into my work.
[quoted image]

you lived next door to bruce wayne!?! damn!

#1228 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

i would 100% buy this for my basement if I had an 8 yr old son

Make one!

It's fun.

#1230 4 years ago

Finally a video that wasn't painful to watch or hear... Thx!

#1231 4 years ago

This absolutely looks like a Stern with crappy theme. Nothing sculpted, just flat plastics everywhere. They took quite a few steps back from Houdini and Oktoberfest in that regard.

For the love of God, that spinning car has to stop...forever.

#1232 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Didn't Hotwheels have a helicopter they could have used? I mean a spinning car, what?

#1233 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

This absolutely looks like a Stern with crappy theme. Nothing sculpted, just flat plastics everywhere. They took quite a few steps back from Houdini and Oktoberfest in that regard.

Yeah....

Though API games feel very sturdy, and I like the feel of the flippers a bit more so than Stern.

Definitely a different approach by them.

#1234 4 years ago

I’m sure the modders are all over that spinning car thing... I know I would be doing something with that rotational movement other than spinning that car around...

#1235 4 years ago

The main toy is just annoying and it spinning in mid air is more suited for an airplane game than a car game. Maybe they can code it to only spin at certain achievements rather than all the time.

#1236 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I’m sure the modders are all over that spinning car thing... I know I would be doing something with that rotational movement other than spinning that car around...

A giant spinning hot wheels car wheel would be a lot less distracting and more on-brand, but I'd rather have nothing there. It's visually annoying.

EDIT: Actually, just remove the spinning car and motor that drives it and put in a nice cartoony fat-needled tachometer to show the RPMs. That would be on-brand and not annoying to have in your field of view, even if it does duplicate some of the indication on the playfield.

#1237 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Everything is pretty much a placeholder at the moment.

A placeholder until the economy recovers?

#1238 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A giant spinning hot wheels car wheel would be a lot less distracting and more on-brand, but I'd rather have nothing there. It's visually annoying.
EDIT: Actually, just remove the spinning car and motor that drives it and put in a nice cartoony fat-needled tachometer to show the RPMs. That would be on brand and not annoying to have in your field of view, even if it does duplicate some of the indication on the playfield.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Who doesn't like seeing a rev counter of speedometer?

That spinning car is one of the worst toys I can remember!

#1239 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

EDIT: Actually, just remove the spinning car and motor that drives it and put in a nice cartoony fat-needled tachometer to show the RPMs. That would be on-brand and not annoying to have in your field of view, even if it does duplicate some of the indication on the playfield.

I think this is pretty much on point.

#1240 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Exactly what I was thinking.
Who doesn't like seeing a rev counter of speedometer?
That spinning car is one of the worst toys I can remember!

Now if it were only on fire...!

I was thinking last night, I wouldn't mind the offset display, if say, there were some sort of LED cycling around the car on the right, like flames, that would maybe lightup during multiball.

That would be an interesting touch. With the option to turn off of course.

#1241 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I think this is pretty much on point.

Given that you're eliminating a MOTOR, it is probably also cheaper, too. Seems like a win/win for AP and whoever the customers for this are.

#1242 4 years ago

I wonder if API will officially announce the game after the first dozen or so games have been delivered....

#1243 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I wonder if API will officially announce the game after the first dozen or so games have been delivered....

I hope they get some games on location quick so people can see and play them. And want to buy them.

Reveal not happening at TPF ( and maybe MGC ? ) could hurt things. Not a lot of AP games on location. Most people get exposed to them at shows.

LTG : )

#1244 4 years ago

The more I look at this the more I dont understand. The Hot Wheels city animation videos are weird and not something I want to watch and play. Id play this but Ill be curious to see how many sell.

#1245 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I hope they get some games on location quick so people can see and play them. And want to buy them.
Reveal not happening at TPF ( and maybe MGC ? ) could hurt things. Not a lot of AP games on location. Most people get exposed to them at shows.

OR it could be a blessing in disguise.

#1246 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Just keep dropping those little nuggets, lol.

#1247 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Vishnu works in mysterious ways.

#1248 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Vishnu works in mysterious ways.

namaste!

#1249 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Well DarnDarnDarn.

Time will tell.

I hope all the manufacturers' rumored reveals for TPF that won't happen. Still somehow, someway, the word, pictures, videos, and games get out. So none of them get hurt by the virus closings.

#1250 4 years ago

HaHaHa !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 61.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Medford, NY
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Munroe Falls, OH
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-wheels-it-is-says-kaneda/page/25?hl=viggin900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.