capt_nemo (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 4.30.32 PM (resized).png
20200311_152808 (resized).jpg
2000000000850337 (resized).jpg
2000000000850339 (resized).jpg
2000000000850341 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 28.
#1151 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's seriously debatable. Worst ever IMO.
It's probably all coming to an end soon anyway, so the industry will be able to pack it up with at least a little dignity left.

Yes I believe you're on the older side of the house so that makes sense. I feel like you've already had your turn ; )

Let us younger guys get some new blood in here!

#1152 4 years ago

Yeah, from FB stream. $6300 msrp. Comes with art blades. May come with a shaker. No call outs yet in code. Car spins faster as rpms go up. Orange vuk on left looks cool.

#1153 4 years ago

So the game looks like it might be fun, but I have to speak up about the screen. Look at this screen capture:

Hot Wheels ScreenHot Wheels Screen

The numbers are unreadable. This has been somewhat typical for AP games - using multiple fonts, with too many colours and not enough contrast. I didn't really comment on the previous games but now it's game 3 and this stuff is still happening.

Please guys, look at how Alien and Dialed In do it. Spooky has been good as well with ACNC and now R&M. Those are the gold standard. Lots of reference games to look at. No reason for this to continue.

#1154 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

So the game looks like it might be fun, but I have to speak up about the screen.

+1 on that.
Black with red / chrome like the old red lines would have been cool.

#1155 4 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

I cant get past the off center display. pin could be the best ever and that would keep me from buying.

You've never played it, so how do you know if it's annoying?

I give them credit for trying something different.

#1156 4 years ago

The layout reminds me of HighSpeed and I bet it plays just exciting. Becoming one of my new favorite games. If this was a Steve Ritchie design at Stern everyone would be praising it.

#1157 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

You've never played it, so how do you know if it's annoying.
I give them credit for trying something different.

For trying something dumb? Nah. Just a bad decision and likely to avoid having to do anything custom as that canned art puts the car in the middle so they had to put the screen off center. Bonehead move.

#1158 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Yeah, from FB stream. $6300 msrp. Comes with art blades. May come with a shaker. No call outs yet in code. Car spins faster as rpms go up. Orange vuk on left looks cool.

Damn, I was hoping sub 6k. I would buy one if it was less than 6k. I'll still probably pick one up, what's another $300.

#1159 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yes I believe you're on the older side of the house so that makes sense. I feel like you've already had your turn ; )

Let us younger guys get some new blood in here!

The themes you mentioned seem super old to me.

What my years have told me is it has been a strong economy that has supported the buying of new machines the last 5 years. Take away the strong economy, and what are you left with?

#1160 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The themes you mentioned seem super old to me.
What my years have told me is it has been a strong economy that has supported the buying of new machines the last 5 years. Take away the strong economy, and what are you left with?

I agree there. Doesn't matter what the theme is if the economy crashes. We're literally going to panic ourselves into a recession over the flu. Unbelievable. I blame the media.

#1161 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Doesn't matter what the theme is if the economy crashes.

It's happening as we speak. Not only was it overdue, now we have the panic set in.

With the way things are unfolding, how many are ordering new pinball machines?

I don't want to sound like doom and gloom, but it is the reality of the situation.

#1162 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

So the game looks like it might be fun, but I have to speak up about the screen. Look at this screen capture:
[quoted image]
The numbers are unreadable. This has been somewhat typical for AP games - using multiple fonts, with too many colours and not enough contrast. I didn't really comment on the previous games but now it's game 3 and this stuff is still happening.
Please guys, look at how Alien and Dialed In do it. Spooky has been good as well with ACNC and now R&M. Those are the gold standard. Lots of reference games to look at. No reason for this to continue.

Their font and color usage is ponderously heinous. Who is doing that work for them?

Anyone have a stream link?

#1163 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Yeah I wonder how many kids came out and played pinball the first time because of Stranger Things. If this is a new trend, then expect Legos, Minecraft, and Roblox next

Nothing wrong with that really. Not really my interest in themes, but more people interested is more people interested.

#1164 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Their font and color usage is ponderously heinous. Who is doing that work for them?

Must be the same guy that's responsible for what's on the Oktoberfest screen. Same issues all over again. They just don't learn.

#1165 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's happening as we speak. Not only was it overdue, now we have the panic set in.
I don't want to sound like doom and gloom, but it is the reality of the situation.

I'm young enough to ride out the recession and pick the spoils of soon to be abandoned man caves

So many HUO Sterns the past few years. If only they were built to last...

#1166 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Must be the same guy that's responsible for what's on the Oktoberfest screen. Same issues all over again. They just don't learn.

And the same person that wiped their hot pink florescent ass all over my Houdini screen.

Like, c'mon guys...there are definitely Houdini's and Oktoberfest games still to sell. Hire some young hungry punk, get them to overhaul the UI in a few weeks, and pimp that shit out the damn door already!!!

#1167 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

[quoted image]

AP doesn't want to hear this. They just want to justify that they're fine. Their screen UI has always been shades of amateur, but Oktoberfest and now Hot Wheels are new levels of atrocious and reeks of temp programmer art they just left there. It's 100% clear they don't have a producer with substantial game experience overseeing this, which is what they DESPERATELY need.

#1168 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

The layout reminds me of HighSpeed and I bet it plays just exciting. Becoming one of my new favorite games. If this was a Steve Ritchie design at Stern everyone would be praising it.

High Speed if it had two unfun, tiny lanes left and right that were hard to hit reliably. High Speed had NO NARROW SHOTS. This will not play like High Speed. At all.

#1169 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Economy super strong. Wasn't due at all it's all bc of the media panicking to hurt Trump and it's now causing a major economic impact. Super dirty but this will end and economy will roar back no doubt.

#1170 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Economy super strong. Wasn't due at all it's all bc of the media panicking to hurt Trump.

Yikes. Tinfoil hat conspiratard nonsense infiltrating a good AP bashing thread. What a world. :~)

#1171 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Economy super strong. Wasn't due at all it's all bc of the media panicking to hurt Trump and it's now causing a major economic impact. Super dirty but this will end and economy will roar back no doubt.

Seriously? Wow. Denial much?

#1172 4 years ago

Looks fun to shoot, like all the american pins. The theme is just so so, like all the american pins. Id throw a quarter in it, like all the american pins.

The only fail is that they didnt incorporate a mech to shoot a car around inside that backbox. You could change the car out for any hotwheels. Woulda been so dope. Missed opportunity, especially with the offset monitor.

Oh well, when will we see another interactive backbox?

#1173 4 years ago

I'll give it a flip or two...if I ever see one. I've yet to see any AP pins out in the wild around here.

#1174 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Looks fun to shoot, like all the american pins. The theme is just so so, like all the american pins. Id throw a quarter in it, like all the american pins.
The only fail is that they didnt incorporate a mech to shoot a car around inside that backbox. You could change the car out for any hotwheels. Woulda been so dope. Missed opportunity, especially with the offset monitor.
Oh well, when will we see another interactive backbox?

Agreed. With all that right side free, something ala Banzai Run could have been initiated. Instead of building up, API stripped this shit.....down. Kinda sucks to see, frankly.

#1175 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Economy has been on the longest bull run in history. What goes up must come back down. The growth is unsustainable, wages remain stagnant, student loans and credit card debt continue to balloon, and the middle class shrinks as the number of people who would be financially insolvent if they missed a month's worth of pay grows.

Also the media had nothing to do with China deciding to shut down numerous factories and freezing global supply line chains for a wide variety of products. Stop watching so much damn TV and thinking of politics as a us-vs-them sport.

#1176 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Economy has been on the longest bull run in history. What goes up must come back down. The growth is unsustainable, wages remain stagnant, student loans and credit card debt continue to balloon, and the middle class shrinks as the number of people who would be financially insolvent if they missed a month's worth of pay grows.
Also the media had nothing to do with China deciding to shut down numerous factories and freezing global supply line chains for a wide variety of products. Stop watching so much damn TV and thinking of politics as a us-vs-them sport.

Ok I obviously took this way off topic but as a numbers guy yes, the numbers show the economy was super strong including a massive jobs increase. This is ALL coronavirus related. But back on topic! I won't mention it anymore.... My bad. Haha

#1177 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ok I obviously took this way off topic but as a numbers guy yes, the numbers show the economy was super strong including a massive jobs increase. This is ALL coronavirus related. But back on topic! I won't mention it anymore.... My bad. Haha

This is a "normal" correction to adjust inflation and Fiat money. It was coming one way or another.

This was not a political thing. Each side will blame the other because neither can fix it.

-----------------

As to Hot Wheels,,,,, meh. Nothing in terms of theme or execution is enticing me. That's ok so long as it thrills a bunch of people willing to purchase some machines.

I hope AP sticks around, and I hope they find some pace soon.

#1178 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Economy is a super bubble lol

#1179 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Car themes are generic. Indy 500 is a fantastic game that I could buy for a fraction of the price of Hotwheels. In fact I could buy 3 fantastic car themed games -Indy 500, Mustang and Getaway - for the same price.

You either have a great source for buying pins or aren’t very good at math. A used Mustang in good shape probably isn’t below $4k. Indy is $3K all day, probably more these days. So, are you getting Getaway for free?

#1180 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ok I obviously took this way off topic but as a numbers guy yes, the numbers show the economy was super strong including a massive jobs increase. ...

These stats are hollow. Yep - lots of "jobs" created. Only problem is that a lot of folks have to hold down more than one of them in order to pay their bills.

Good thing AP is leading the way in pinball price reductions!

#1181 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah. It happened in code. Code progress was fine for about a year, then a major code update broke the audits completely (it rebooted when you tried to clear them). They said fixing that was not an AP priority. Shocking. I couldn't believe what I was told, especially after working to push Houdini and talk up AP with the operator I was helping. That was the end of the AP route experiment, which sucked because the game was actually earning well.

Pardon my ignorance on routed games, but why would audit #s trump earning #s and cause the route operator to get rid of it, if its earning?

#1182 4 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

I cant get past the off center display. pin could be the best ever and that would keep me from buying.

Pinball isn’t symmetrical. Art isn’t always symmetrical. There’s nothing wrong with doing something a bit different with the display placement since they put it in the translite rather than between two speakers. It works with the composition of the art. No biggie.

#1183 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You either have a great source for buying pins or aren’t very good at math. A used Mustang in good shape probably isn’t below $4k. Indy is $3K all day, probably more these days. So, are you getting Getaway for free?

You need to learn to negotiate harder.

Edit: This game will likely be $12K landed in Australia.

Last Indy 500 I sold was $3k (actually paid $2k)

Getaway $3500

Routed Mustang Pro probably around $5500, maybe $6000.

Pretty close to the mark.

#1184 4 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Just like Mustang-Corvette-Indy500-Nascar... they may be good games. I don't know.
Because

Will the drop to $6200 kick off a round of price realignments around the industry? That's $100 more than the current MSRP of Stranger Things Pro. Granted, you have to pay shipping with AP games, and nobody is paying MSRP for Stern games if they are not completely clueless. The market is saturated, and about to be even more saturated due to the number of titles that are about to be released. A slowing economy will mean slowing pin sales for a lot of HUO buyers. Will we see some dog-eat-dog tactics and more aggressive pricing/discounts among manufacturers to stay competitive in the coming months? This could be the the second shot shot of a new pinball war. Remember, JJP lowered the price of Wonka SE last year already.
As for me, I still think the big market disruptor of 2020 is going to be Punny Factory

Stern is loving them some Covid-19! If the HUO slows much, not many nascent pin companies will survive. Which sucks.

#1185 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

[quoted image]

I had a blast creating the Amy Pinn artwork as a freelancer...but my full-time day job is as a lead User Interface designer...hmmm.

#1186 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You need to learn to negotiate harder.

Edit: If that’s the pricing your experience than you’re right. But a quick look at the exchange rate means your paying way less for used games than we do in the states. And about $1,000 USD (1,600 for you) more for new games. The latter is to be expected, with VAT and duty etc., but the former is interesting.

I have to think fewer games in the country helps the seller, not the buyer. Maybe you really are a good negotiator.

#1187 4 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

I had a blast creating the Amy Pinn artwork as a freelancer...but my full-time day job is as a lead User Interface designer...hmmm.

Have you ever advised them that their typography work is for....well, shit?

#1188 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Stern is loving them some Covid-19! If the HUO slows much, not many nascent pin companies will survive. Which sucks.

Yep, it should be easy to pay the rent and overhead on that huge new building they just moved into when sales slow to crawl..

#1190 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

[quoted image]

I used to rolleyes PinMonk when he critisized the the fonts and whatnot . I chalked it up to "Most arent watching the display when playing" then I saw this pic and thought ok, this is over the top horrible...

#1191 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yep, it should be easy to pay the rent and overhead on that huge new building they just moved into when sales slow to crawl..

They will be the one who survives is my point.

#1192 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

They will be the one who survives is my point.

You guess.

#1193 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You guess.

You know? Ok let me rephrase, one of the ones who survives. If this covid 19 panic keeps up, many nascent pin companies, will not make it. Im fairly confident Stern will.

#1194 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Pardon my ignorance on routed games, but why would audit #s trump earning #s and cause the route operator to get rid of it, if its earning?

Sorry, it was the earnings audits. Couldn't reset them for the next collection, so you had to keep a separate sheet or something in your phone. Huge pain. Replaced it with a machine that earned about the same and had correctly working audits that didn't crash.

#1195 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I used to rolleyes vireland when he critisized the the fonts and whatnot . I chalked it up to "Most arent watching the display when playing" then I saw this pic and thought ok, this is over the top horrible...

You ALL will come to the light eventually.

Well, unless you work at AP. Muhahahahahahahaha...

#1196 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You ALL will come to the light eventually.
Well, unless you work at AP. Muhahahahahahahaha...

Lol. First thing i thought when i saw the screenshot was yea, Im wrong. Still not sure on the animitations while in play, but if this is still an issue, then art direction is still a problem overall. Plus, loops missing on a hotwheels theme that has loops galore in the art..

#1197 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Roll up your sleeves man!

I like pinball but not that much.
Thankfully theres people like Cleland out there to fix up even decent themes that these companies ruin with terrible audio.

#1198 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

AP doesn't want to hear this. They just want to justify that they're fine. Their screen UI has always been shades of amateur, but Oktoberfest and now Hot Wheels are new levels of atrocious and reeks of temp programmer art they just left there. It's 100% clear they don't have a producer with substantial game experience overseeing this, which is what they DESPERATELY need.

Not saying it's right, but in AP's defense, their past games' graphics were pretty basic upon initial reveal as well. They subsequently improved a lot as code was developed further.

Now whether they improved enough is a different matter ...

#1199 4 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

Here are a few better photos my distributor sent me from the AMOA floor yesterday. I think you can see a little more detail in the upper playfield area without as much of a glare.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Kinda looks like a fan layout that Barry Oursler would have designed

#1200 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Kinda looks like a fan layout that Barry Oursler would have designed

Aw, come on, can’t we leave Barry out of this? Deeproot this is not...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 61.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Munroe Falls, OH
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 1,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-wheels-it-is-says-kaneda/page/24?hl=xian222 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.