capt_nemo (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 4.30.32 PM (resized).png
20200311_152808 (resized).jpg
2000000000850337 (resized).jpg
2000000000850339 (resized).jpg
2000000000850341 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 28.
#1101 4 years ago

Needs a different spinner sound. That's the annoying clickitty-clack you constantly hear during the game.

It IS odd they don't put up a reasonably professional minute or two long video showing off the sounds, features and shots.
And the nice light show.

I don't think these fuzzy phone videos in a loud environment benefit ANY manufacturer. Maybe it wasn't ready in time for this trade show and we'll see one soon. But "first impressions... etc etc"...

#1102 4 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

...allowed people to take crappy cell phone photos and video and then all they do is post a teaser on facebook?

This always baffles me. My phone is nothing special but takes excellent HD video and amazing pictures. Are only flip phones allowed at these reveals?

#1103 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Were you not around for Shrek?

Thankfully I was not.

Quoted from pipes:

If there was ever going to be pinball in a Chuck E. Cheese since Shrek, this is it.

Fixed. Thank you!

#1104 4 years ago

Be thankful they are nice enough to at least try to show you new games.

Quoted from Beechwood:

This always baffles me. My phone is nothing special but takes excellent HD video and amazing pictures. Are only flip phones allowed at these reveals?

#1105 4 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

picture quality between phone models varies greatly.

#1106 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Thankfully I was not.

Fixed. Thank you!

I think Shrek was a Chuck-E-Cheese only game...but I don't know much more about it other than it sharing a layout with Avatar(?).

#1107 4 years ago

I’ve seen the phones most pinheads carry... clam-shelled, huge keyed, antiques that they have been buying replacement batteries for for the last 20 years, and has a 640x480 pixel camera whose lens looks like it went through WWIII.

#1108 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

sharing a layout with Avatar(?).

Family Guy

#1110 4 years ago

The photos suffer because it's someone uploading a compressed version of the photo to somewhere like Facebook, which recompresses it, which is downloaded and reuploaded to pinside while being recompressed yet again.

#1111 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

If there was ever going to be pinball in a Chuck E. Cheese (since Shrek), this is it.

And ideally....that's what they're targeting.

I really don't understand why they didn't innovate here. Imagine actual Hot Wheels collectors entering the fray, in a system where for a higher price tier of $3, you're guaranteed a 50/50 shot at an exclusive Hot Wheels car that either is dispensed on site or is printed out/scanned one time use code for online redemption.

#1112 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The photos suffer because it's someone uploading a compressed version of the photo to somewhere like Facebook, which recompresses it, which is downloaded and reuploaded to pinside while being recompressed yet again.

Exactly! Was just going to write the same thing!

#1113 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Man I love pinball but what lame themes. I mean if u love it then Im happy for ya but imagine a world where it was Road Warrior, Blade runner, a new Robocop pin and maybe a Terminator based on the first film. Motorhead instead of GnR. I'm just venting via personal taste.

I’m not saying I love those themes. I’m just saying people will probably deem them to be more desirable than Hot Wheels. In other words, if you were forced to buy one, would you choose Hot Wheels or one of the other three?

#1114 4 years ago

I havent watched much of the video but is that a vari-target in front of the loop?

#1115 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

40% less stuff on the machine.

Can you show us your math on that?

#1116 4 years ago

So umm...one day later, and STILL no official announcement, photos or video from API?!?!

Guys, get your shit together over there.... Ugh.

Hell, even Stern plugged away with their Stranger Things clip a day or so after a leak.

#1117 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So umm...one day later, and STILL no official announcement, photos or video from API?!?!
Guys, get your shit together over there.... Ugh.
Hell, even Stern plugged away with their Stranger Things clip a day or so after a leak.

And its been a day or So, so what are you saying. lol

#1118 4 years ago

Maybe this is the promo video

#1119 4 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

I havent watched much of the video but is that a vari-target in front of the loop?

Drop target

#1120 4 years ago

Search "hot wheels cartoon" on Youtube. There's some weird ass Hot Wheels cartoons and a couple of movies too. Hot Wheels really went off into a odd direction with dinos, sharks and other crazy stuff.

#1121 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

And its been a day or So, so what are you saying. lol

Well, we know API isn't pumping press out today....

And Stern acted as if that Stranger Things leak didn't exist. Which to a large part of their target market it didn't, and another large part of it, it did. So Stern isn't necessarily the high water mark for brand execution, but in pinball they sure are. Marketing in general for pinball is so sporadic, and not really great at engendering new customers.

#1122 4 years ago
Quoted from Pingball:

Maybe this is the promo video

Interesting. It's the exact same dino in that promo as in this photo of the LCD screen https://i.imgur.com/XCe0YLs.jpg

Here is the full version. I skimmed it a bit. I couldn't find the exact scene from that photo in this, but I'm sure it's in there. Same dino and building models

So I imagine the game is going to look and sound a lot like this. Definitely a game for kids, not that there is anything wrong with that. But I'm sure it'll turn off a lot of regular pinball collectors. Could be very popular with the grandkids though.

#1123 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Interesting. It's the exact same dino in that promo as in this photo of the LCD screen https://i.imgur.com/XCe0YLs.jpg
Here is the full version. I skimmed it a bit. I couldn't find the exact scene from that photo in this, but I'm sure it's in there. Same dino and building models

So I imagine the game is going to look and sound a lot like this. Definitely a game for kids, not that there is anything wrong with that. But I'm sure it'll turn off a lot of regular pinball collectors. Could be very popular with the grandkids though.

Now you've got me stuck watching the TV show and movies now!

#1124 4 years ago

Yeah I wonder how many kids came out and played pinball the first time because of Stranger Things. If this is a new trend, then expect Legos, Minecraft, and Roblox next

#1125 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Now you've got me stuck watching the TV show and movies now!

It didn't seem god awful from the little bits I watched. It reminded me a lot of Kablam and Action League Now! when I was a kid. I like how they lean into how cheap and crummy the animation is

#1126 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Search "hot wheels cartoon" on Youtube.

Search Hot Wheels Cartoon 1969 and that's what I'm talkin' bout.

#1127 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Definitely a game for kids, not that there is anything wrong with that. But I'm sure it'll turn off a lot of regular pinball collectors. Could be very popular with the grandkids though.

This theme is right up there with 'Bob the Builder' and 'Thomas the Tank Engine'. How does AP keep getting this so wrong?

#1128 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I think Shrek was a Chuck-E-Cheese only game...but I don't know much more about it other than it sharing a layout with Avatar(?).

eh?

Shrek was a retheme of Family Guy... and if I recall... an idea lobbied for and pitched by Jersey Jack.

#1129 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Search "hot wheels cartoon" on Youtube. There's some weird ass Hot Wheels cartoons and a couple of movies too. Hot Wheels really went off into a odd direction with dinos, sharks and other crazy stuff.

Exactly. My son used to play with and watch a Hot Wheels show called Hot Wheels Battle Force 5. Toys Reminded me of M.A.S.K. from when I was a kid

FC25AB7A-A80E-4092-9980-6496BF90EAA8 (resized).jpegFC25AB7A-A80E-4092-9980-6496BF90EAA8 (resized).jpeg
#1130 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

This theme is right up there with 'Bob the Builder' and 'Thomas the Tank Engine'. How does AP keep getting this so wrong?

Just like Kaneda called it, they don't do any market research and instead is something that sounded appealing to AP and the pin team there.

Not to say that is always a bad strategy, I'm sure some of the best machines came from a designer whim, but it's a bit different these days with quite a bit more $ on the table. You can certainly reduce your business risks with the right license that people want.

#1131 4 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Target on the left, kickback on the right.

#1132 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Wtf man? Xenophobic much?
Wait, I'm Canadian. I mean, so sorry aboot that. My mistake. Here, have some maple syrup and a donut eh

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Wtf man? Xenophobic much?
Wait, I'm Canadian. I mean, so sorry aboot that. My mistake. Here, have some maple syrup and a donut eh

Your takin it the wrong way? I cant believe I got a moderater notice? I love hockey pins,the few there are out there. Thought you might too? Wouldn't you agree AP would be the one company to make one. I dont think you should be representing the thoughts of your entire league anyway.

#1133 4 years ago

A lot of this thread is as cringy as watching all the medical professionals and stock traders on facebook go back and forth.

#1134 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Can you show us your math on that?

You don't even need to count it out. Use your eyes. That's an awfully bare playfield compared to Houdini.

#1135 4 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

M.A.S.K. from when I was a kid

My brother and I had those action figures!

#1136 4 years ago

The cool toy licenses and content we grew up with (turtles too) have down shifted big time to market 6 yo and under.

Unfortunately beyond that it’s online gaming and phones.

#1137 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Its definitely baffling at this point. Hell even the rumored public-domain "Sherlock Holmes" theme would have been a better idea for the demographic that is actually playing/buying pins these days.

Seems like the only things they have going their way is the general build quality of their product and the (seemingly) endless reservoir of private capital fueling their business.

#1138 4 years ago

The last few titles that have come out and now this, Turtles and GNR
on the way have caused me to go old school and opt for a couple of restored System 11’s...
Taxi and Whirlwind.

#1139 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I think Shrek was a Chuck-E-Cheese only game..

TSPP and Nascar too. There was also an EM at one near us.

#1140 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

TSPP and Nascar too. There was also an EM at one near us.

Ours had Stern PotC. It was usually pretty broken. But you could get a TON of tickets on it because the high scores were usually so low.

#1141 4 years ago

Here are a few better photos my distributor sent me from the AMOA floor yesterday. I think you can see a little more detail in the upper playfield area without as much of a glare.

2000000000850341 (resized).jpg2000000000850341 (resized).jpg2000000000850339 (resized).jpg2000000000850339 (resized).jpg2000000000850337 (resized).jpg2000000000850337 (resized).jpg
#1142 4 years ago

They better get selling them before there is no more money left to buy them.

#1143 4 years ago

From some stream they are doing now off FB..$6300 MSRP confirmed with no shaker motor. The spinning car doesn't interactive with anything, but more of an indicator.

#1144 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

How does AP keep getting this so wrong?

I imagine their thought process was Hot Wheels likely isn't a very expensive license or difficult licensor, "cars" is a very safe bet* with a lot of freedom to make a game around the theme, and Mattel gave them a ton of art and video as part of the license which has been one of AP's most glaring weaknesses.

They should be swinging for the fences, and this feels more like bunt. But I understand the logic of wanting to play it safe. I don't think they'll have much issue outselling their other games, but it'll be tough for them to crack the 1,000 unit mark in the next two or three years. They cut the BOM, but they probably should have gotten it to below Stern Pro pricing. Maybe a few less RGB LEDs and toss the silly car on a stick.

* People can point out that there have been bad car games like Mustang, but there's also been High Speed and Getaway which are two of the most popular and mass produced games of all time.

#1145 4 years ago

I cant get past the off center display. pin could be the best ever and that would keep me from buying.

#1146 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Well, we know API isn't pumping press out today....
And Stern acted as if that Stranger Things leak didn't exist. Which to a large part of their target market it didn't, and another large part of it, it did. So Stern isn't necessarily the high water mark for brand execution, but in pinball they sure are. Marketing in general for pinball is so sporadic, and not really great at engendering new customers.

I agree. Really poorly managed.

#1147 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

The last few titles that have come out and now this, Turtles and GNR
on the way have caused me to go old school and opt for a couple of restored System 11’s...
Taxi and Whirlwind.

Probably the best time in Pinball theme wise. Love it. Not this theme of course but tmnt, GnR, JP, Wonka, TBL, alien, RaM, potentially bttf, TS, - enough with the old man themes like Munsters, Elvira, etc. Boring.

#1148 4 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

Here are a few better photos my distributor sent me from the AMOA floor yesterday. I think you can see a little more detail in the upper playfield area without as much of a glare.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Lots of different multiballs on the rules card. Seems like a straightforward game, with easy to explain objectives and some kinda playfield multiplier rules for competitive players

#1149 4 years ago

I am normally pretty OCD but the off center display doesn't bother me YET.
I'm not a NIB person but this one could be one for me this year.
I like HW and VW's and HW VW even more. This is on my desk.
I will be modding a second one of these HW Type 2T's to match the 1/24 model that I built from one in VW mag afew years ago.

Nice looking game AP.

20200311_152808 (resized).jpg20200311_152808 (resized).jpg
#1150 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Probably the best time in Pinball theme wise.

That's seriously debatable. Worst ever IMO.

It's probably all coming to an end soon anyway, so the industry will be able to pack it up with at least a little dignity left.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Atoka, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

There are 1,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-wheels-it-is-says-kaneda/page/23?hl=jimwe5t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.