capt_nemo (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 4.30.32 PM (resized).png
20200311_152808 (resized).jpg
2000000000850337 (resized).jpg
2000000000850339 (resized).jpg
2000000000850341 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 28.
#551 4 years ago

Does anyone actually have any faith that they will make a good decision with theme and art for this next game? I hope I'm wrong but I have none.

#552 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

How the hell do you play with a coke machine?

I played the dollar bill changer machine for over an hour one time in Vegas.

I broke even.

#553 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

The design of that ad is terrible.

Don't blame me

#555 4 years ago

Fascinating, the response to this idea. I’m disappointed that the amazing ideas shown in Houdini and Oktoberfest aren’t taken seriously enough to carry this (still unrevealed!) Third title.

#556 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Fascinating, the response to this idea. I’m disappointed that the amazing ideas shown in Houdini and Oktoberfest aren’t taken seriously enough to carry this (still unrevealed!) Third title.

I agree. Way too much cynicism for the dynamic and interesting approaches and build quality that AP has had with two games. Stern is predictable, and I've yet to play a Spooky title that feels fun.

So aside from JJP, AP has done some interesting things their own way, and deserve less backlash and more credit.

#557 4 years ago

Hot Wheels? Lame.
Jesus who comes up with this shit.

#558 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I agree that there are a lot of good, unique ideas in both of those games but each are incredibly flawed. In terms of sales, both were complete flops and for good reason. Oktoberfest should have never been made IMO. They need to show that they can put a complete package together if they want to be taken seriously.

#559 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Oktoberfest should have never been made IMO.

Oktoberfest is my favorite game, I love it! My JJPOTCSE is not going anywhere either, but I like OKT even better.

We all like different stuff, there is no right or wrong, just what we prefer.

#560 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

We all like different stuff, there is no right or wrong, just what we prefer.

When you own a business that needs to turn a profit, there absolutely is a right or wrong.

#561 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

When you own a business that needs to turn a profit, there absolutely is a right or wrong.

I can see that with OKT. It may not do well on location. But in home it is awesome because of all the variety to try.

For business probably every cookie cutter game that is easy to figure out probably is best. But for home, a game like OKT is way better for all the variety.

I only play at home, and the more variety a pin has the longer it lasts. And for me OKT has the best variety period.

And hell no, on location I would not want to keep putting money in to try all the different stuff.

#562 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I agree that there are a lot of good, unique ideas in both of those games but each are incredibly flawed. In terms of sales, both were complete flops and for good reason. Oktoberfest should have never been made IMO. They need to show that they can put a complete package together if they want to be taken seriously.

Flawed how? Oktoberfest is really fun, and has some incredibly innovative modes and mechs, as does Houdini

#563 4 years ago

I can see that with OKT. It may not do well on location. But in home it is awesome because of all the variety to try.
For business probably every cookie cutter game that is easy to figure out probably is best. But for home, a game like OKT is way better for all the variety.
I only play at home, and the more variety a pin has the longer it lasts. And for me OKT has the best variety period.
And hell no, on location I would not want to keep putting money in to try all the different stuff.

I was actually referring to AP, not operators or locations. There is a right and wrong when it comes to the decisions they make and their sales numbers are a reflection of that. I guarantee that if they could have a do-over with Oktoberfest, there wouldn’t be an Oktoberfest.

#564 4 years ago

The only thing they improved on from Houdini was the layout. I give Houdini a pass because it was really their first attempt and it was rushed. The layout/shots in the game leave a lot to be desired, let’s be honest. The art, animations, sounds and theme on Oktoberfest are absolutely atrocious. As much as I really love the layout there’s no way I would ever consider owning one. Unfortunately for AP, there’s only a few hundred people that would strongly disagree with my assessment. I’m glad that those that own it are enjoying it but you have to realize that you’re in the extreme minority otherwise they would have sold thousands. They really need to focus on delivering the total package instead of putting everything into one or two elements only.

#565 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I was actually referring to AP, not operators or locations. There is a right and wrong when it comes to the decisions they make and their sales numbers are a reflection of that. I guarantee that if they could have a do-over with Oktoberfest, there wouldn’t be an Oktoberfest.

I’ve never seen sales numbers for Houdini? How many units were made and sold?

#566 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I’ve never seen sales numbers for Houdini? How many units were made and sold?

I’ve seen speculation that up to 600 were sold, but I have no idea what that’s based on.

#567 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Unfortunately for AP, there’s only a few hundred people that would strongly disagree with my assessment. I’m glad that those that own it are enjoying it but you have to realize that you’re in the extreme minority otherwise they would have sold thousands. They really need to focus on delivering the total package instead of putting everything into one or two elements only.

Like I said, there is no right or wrong, we all like different things.

If AP really needs to sell thousands of a machine to keep the doors open, then hell yes I hope they have some big hit soon so they can keep going.

In the meantime IMO, AP has the best quality control. My OKT, and HOU have never had any playfield issues. And both are so unique, and not cookie cutter games.

#568 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ve seen speculation that up to 600 were sold, but I have no idea what that’s based on.

The speculation that I’ve seen is that the combined sales of Houdini and Oktoberfest is south of 1000. Not good.

In the meantime IMO, AP has the best quality control. My OKT, and HOU have never had any playfield issues. And both are so unique, and not cookie cutter games.

I will agree with that. I do think that AP has the potential to make a truly amazing game. There’s glimpses of that in both Houdini and Oktoberfest, no doubt about it.

#569 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

The speculation that I’ve seen is that the combined sales of Houdini and Oktoberfest is south of 1000. Not good.

I will agree with that. I do think that AP has the potential to make a truly amazing game. There’s glimpses of that in both Houdini and Oktoberfest, no doubt about it.

AP needs to figure out who their target market is, and what their priorities are as well. Houdini here was sent down the road after a bug was introduced early last year that caused the game to crash when you cleared audits for collections, so essentially collections were messed up from then on. After it went unfixed for like 4 months the operator I help was done with AP and we sold it. I'm not positive, but I think it was like 6-8 months before it was fixed. Unacceptable if they are targeting operators. After this, Oktoberfest was a hard pass by the operator I work with, and I wasn't really excited about changing his mind. AP also had a situation where the Houdini high score screen didn't time out, so if someone on location didn't complete the high score entry, the machine was stuck as far as most casuals were concerned. That's a BASIC, first checklist kind of thing that should have never made it to release as-is. Things like those two examples do not endear AP to operators that can give them and their games street visibility.

That said, Barry was EXCELLENT support, beginning to end, every single time there was a parts or tech issue to report. GREAT contact point man for the company.

#570 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

AP needs to figure out who their target market is, and what their priorities are as well. Houdini here was sent down the road after a bug was introduced early last year that caused the game to crash when you cleared audits for collections, so essentially collections were messed up from then on. After it went unfixed for like 4 months the operator I help was done with AP and we sold it. I'm not positive, but I think it was like 6-8 months before it was fixed. Unacceptable if they are targeting operators. After this, Oktoberfest was a hard pass by the operator I work with, and I wasn't really excited about changing his mind. AP also had a situation where the Houdini high score screen didn't time out, so if someone on location didn't complete the high score entry, the machine was stuck as far as most casuals were concerned. That's a BASIC, first checklist kind of thing that should have never made it to release as-is. Things like those two examples do not endear AP to operators that can give them and their games street visibility.
That said, Barry was EXCELLENT support, beginning to end, every single time there was a parts or tech issue to report. GREAT contact point man for the company.

Not so sure Barry is still there any longer.

#571 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not so sure Barry is still there any longer.

Well, that sucks for AP. I haven't had a need to call since Houdini was shown the door before last summer. If he's not, wherever he landed is very lucky. He's a great asset.

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, that sucks for AP. I haven't had a need to call since Houdini was shown the door before last summer. If he's not, wherever he landed is very lucky. He's a great asset.

My understanding is he landed a similar job local soon that will fully appreciate his hard work and dedication. Good guy.

#573 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

My understanding is he landed a similar job local soon that will fully appreciate his hard work and dedication. Good guy.

Looks like he already has it on his linkedin as he started last month at JJP. Jack is lucky to have him.

Hopefully I don't have to bother him much for Guns N Roses!

#574 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looks like he already has it on his linkedin as he started last month at JJP. Jack is lucky to have him.
Hopefully I don't have to bother him much for Guns N Roses!

Interesting.

Barry was always great to deal with on my end!

Josh has also always been stellar.

And even though I haven't had direct contact, Dan seems pretty cool too.

#575 4 years ago

Like I said, there is no right or wrong, we all like different things.

There kinda is. I mean let me ask ya this. AP #3 Hot Wheels or BTTF I doubt very much that if you were to take a poll it would be even slightly close. And for the very few who would have opted for Hot Wheels? there's nothing right about it. Its not right for AP sales or the vast majority of pinheads or just general rightness. Didn't someone say at all with this was suggested? Get out ur fired. The only reason anyone wants this is because maybe their kids love Hot Wheels and thus their wife might allow them to buy a very expensive toy.

#576 4 years ago

I heard Oktoberfest only sold ~200 units.

#577 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I know when Williams was open , they needed about 3500 games sold to break even. This has to hurt big time.

#578 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Oh damn. Well done JJP

#579 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Interesting.

Dan isn't at API anymore either. Didn't know about Barry though. They had really an awesome team assembled there.

Hope their third game sells like hotcakes. I for my part line my Oktoberfest.

#580 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Dan isn't at API anymore either. Didn't know about Barry though. They had really an awesome team assembled there.

I agree that the team on paper seemed great but from a business perspective, a team that delivered two failures, the latter being an absolute mess. I don't mind the shakeup as it obviously wasn't working but hot wheels? Latest rumor being a very low BOM. Oh boy. About the only thing saving it was a pirates like experience. We'll see.

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Dan seems pretty cool too.

I do seem pretty cool don't I?

#582 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Dan too? Crap. I just saw him post the other day about game 3.

#583 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

This theme was just all wrong for a 2nd machine. That being said, it a great game, just not for a location. To get through all the different themes and choices, someone would have to pump 20 to 30 bucks in it on location and that just wasn't going to happen. If I had the spending cash and more room, I would own an Oktoberfest in my collection.

I sincerely hope that Hot Wheels is an amazing game with simplified rules that will appeal to operators AND home buyers. I can tell you for a fact that the powers that be at A.P. visited a few of their distributors and operators a few months back and asked for suggestions and ideas.

#584 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I can tell you for a fact that the powers that be at A.P. visited a few of their distributors and operators a few months back and asked for suggestions and ideas.

AAA licences would have a been a good suggestion!

They need a licence here and there that gives them instant market appeal, it’s how Stern sell out before they even reveal their games.

#585 4 years ago

I know many will not agree with me, but the art on Spooky and AP machines just do not seem to be at the professional level they should be on a product of this caliber. Not enough detail, and too much photoshop clipart with splotchy single gradient colors.

#586 4 years ago

American Pinball and JJP should just join forces at this point.
Bummed to hear Barry and and Dan moved to JJP, but good for them. They will be an asset to JJP.

#587 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Interesting.

Not to be Debbie Downer but I believe Dan (sales) also left. Going to be an interesting lease just Hoping they finally pulled #LTG on board to buffer some new release issues.

#588 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I know many will not agree with me, but the art on Spooky and AP machines just do not seem to be at the professional level they should be on a product of this caliber. Not enough detail, and too much photoshop clipart with splotchy single gradient colors.

ACNC artwork (playfield and cab) are fantastic.

#589 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Bummed to hear Barry and and Dan moved to JJP, but good for them. They will be an asset to JJP.

Dan did not go to JJP only Barry. I am hoping for bigger things for Dan if I have my way....

#590 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I'm not at JJP.

#591 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Dan did not go to JJP only Barry. I am hoping for bigger things for Dan if I have my way....

Signs point to YES!

#592 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Signs point to YES!

Hmm.

SpaceX. Hollywood. Or....intergalactic time travel as an alien god?

#593 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

I do seem pretty cool don't I?

You seem pretty.....groovy, for sure!

#594 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hmm.
SpaceX. Hollywood. Or....intergalactic time travel as an alien god?

why not all three?

#595 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

why not all three?

Well, technically Space X is my client so Indirectly yes. Lol

#596 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Hoping they finally pulled #LTG on board to buffer some new release issues.

Seriously doubt that.

I do wish American Pinball, Dandandan, and Barry the best in the future.

LTG : )

#597 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

why not all three?

All hail Prez. DanDan!

Go big or go home and sleep it off..!

#598 4 years ago

At TPF I'm expecting:

AP - Hot Wheels reveal / announcement
JJP - Guns N' Roses reveal / announcement
Multimorphic, Inc - reveal / announcement
Spooky / Ben Heck / CGC - reveal / announcement
Stern - Heavy Metal reveal / announcement
Stern - Corner stone game reveal / announcement

#599 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

At TPF I'm expecting:
AP - Hot Wheels reveal / announcement
JJP - Guns N' Roses reveal / announcement
Multimorphic, Inc - reveal / announcement
Spooky / Ben Heck / CGC - reveal / announcement
Stern - Heavy Metal reveal / announcement
Stern - Corner stone game reveal / announcement

A little optimistic I would wager.

#600 4 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

A little optimistic I would wager.

And it would be a very safe wager.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Medford, NY
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Munroe Falls, OH
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

There are 1,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-wheels-it-is-says-kaneda/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.