Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20191124_153336408 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191124_153313440 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191124_153324587 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello Pinsiders,

I have a Hot Tip with a System 6 CPU that worked fine until I replaced the 1J2 header, this was giving problems. I also repined the female connector.
The machine plays fine with default settings, everything works correctly. When I set the machine for 5 balls it only plays 2 then ends with the normal game over chime. Battery's are good, setting for 5 ball is correct, I have checked this over many times. Anybody know what would cause this? Driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 4 years ago

Bad dip switch when you set it? Although it only specifies 3 or 5 in the manual, other williams games of the era let you set 1-9 balls and they work.

Try entering some other values and see if they work correctly.

In related news, is this like the WORST way to set options ever created???

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Although it only specifies 3 or 5 in the manual, other williams games of the era let you set 1-9 balls and they work.

Thanks slochar,
Wow, I didn't know that, I was wondering how you could get only 2 balls per play.

Quoted from slochar:

Try entering some other values and see if they work correctly

I was thinking about that, setting something other than the ball count, I will try that and see what happens. If it's a bad dip switch, replacing it is the only option? Maybe pulling the cover and try cleaning with alcohol?

Thanks for the reply.

#4 4 years ago

Yeah, replacing or cleaning but usually replace. I've actually replaced dips with dip sockets and used wires in a pinch (didn't have any dips!!)

For stock software, yeah, that's pretty much the only option. You can also edit the default values on a system 3 white game rom to whatever you like, burn a new gamerom, and force a factory reset to make it easier.... there's also a rumored system rom that lets you set them the way system 4/6/7 do (via the credit button etc.)

#5 4 years ago

I tried setting the machine for a specific amount of credits & also high score but that didn't work, still had the defaults.
Tried numerous times to set the ball count with mixed results, 4 balls, 1 ball & one time infinite amount of balls. It went to 9 then blank & kept on going. I did get to 5 balls so I will leave it at that for now. I'm currently rebuilding the original system 3 board so I'll see how that goes when I'm done.

Thanks again for your help.

#6 4 years ago

the dips do fail. they can get crud in them or just break and the switch arm is flapping around not doing anything

you are not supposed to get an uncovered dip wet or use solvent but as a last resort you can get some solvent into the dip switch and cycle the switches to try and wipe from the crud off the contacts. then blow it out and dry. Once dry flip them all to on and then check resistance to see if they are all closed and not shorting to a neighbor position.

If you find just one position not working you can maybe fake it with a zero ohm resistor straddling the dip switch just to get past the install settings part.

This game seems to get bad reviewed but a while back I played a Hot Tip EM games and liked it. Always though if one of these SS version fell into my lap I would snatch it up. I havent had the chance tho.

#7 4 years ago

Sometimes strange things happen when the 5101 ram chip starts failing.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

This game seems to get bad reviewed but a while back I played a Hot Tip EM games and liked it. Always though if one of these SS version fell into my lap I would snatch it up. I havent had the chance tho.

It's not a bad game, everyone I know is looking for the EM version. I turned down the SS version a couple years ago for $375 as I'm out of room. I'd rather have the SS version of course so I can change the game play.

It's also what I like to call a 'tournament darling' right now, it seems to be getting used alot in papa events, so people are more aware of it. It's pretty spinner centric like a lot of the early games end up being.

#9 4 years ago

Check continuity on command switches
ok? suspect corrupt pia or memory.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Command switches? Where are they on the board?

Quoted from KenLayton:

Sometimes strange things happen when the 5101 ram chip starts failing.

I got a nvram chip that I Have in my system 3 board, that 5101 chip was socketed so the socket that came with it I can use in the system 6 board.
Can I use the 5101 chip from the system 3 board in the system 6 board?

Quoted from barakandl:

This game seems to get bad reviewed but a while back I played a Hot Tip EM games and liked it

It's a fun game, a little easy to get high score though but I think that makes it a more enjoyable for a home pin anyway. This is my only SS machine so it's a different experience to work on. I do have another issue but I'll start a new post on that.
Anyway to check the dip switch to see if it's actually on or off?

#11 4 years ago

the command switches are the dip switches

You check continuity on them with a meter, pulling the board from the game is the easiest way to do it, measure between the 2 points on each row, flip on and off, on=continuity, off=none.

Also I noticed with some rom revisions according to the manual you need to set the balls per game to 73 or 75 instead of 03 or 05. Maybe this is the revision you have. The newest rom on ipdb doesn't require this.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Also I noticed with some rom revisions according to the manual you need to set the balls per game to 73 or 75 instead of 03 or 05. Maybe this is the revision you have. The newest rom on ipdb doesn't require this.

I believe this board always worked using the 05 setting, right now it's working for 5 ball so leave it as is.

Quoted from slochar:

the command switches are the dip switches
You check continuity on them with a meter, pulling the board from the game is the easiest way to do it, measure between the 2 points on each row, flip on and off, on=continuity, off=none.

OK, that's the info I was looking for so I'll do that to check if the dips are working properly.

#13 4 years ago

The 5101 can be used in any system 3 through 7 board.

#14 4 years ago

Using the williams Factory issued test fixture software there is a programmed dip switch test:

IMG_20191124_153313440 (resized).jpgIMG_20191124_153313440 (resized).jpgIMG_20191124_153324587 (resized).jpgIMG_20191124_153324587 (resized).jpgIMG_20191124_153336408 (resized).jpgIMG_20191124_153336408 (resized).jpg
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Using the williams Factory issued test fixture software there is a programmed dip switch test:

Wow, that's really cool, I'll have to check it out.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

I tried this but didn't get the expected results, the master display didn't show 55 55.
I have to ask a question about a statement from the first images: "When input enable SW2 is pressed". What is this "SW2"?
I'm thinking it is the Data Enter button above the Diagnostics button, is that correct? If so following this procedure didn't get me to the correct test set.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Command switches are OK, I was thinking of removing the 5101 chip anyway & replacing with the socket I got when I purchased the nvram I have in my system 3 board & use that 5101 chip in the system 6 board. I'll update on how that works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-tip-system-6-cpu-strange-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.