You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0096 (resized).JPG
IMG_0095 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hello folks,
This is my first post, hoping to get some help in my issue with Hot Tip.
My machine has the usual problem with the burnt connector on the PSB as you can see in the image.
The back glass lights weren't working & I noticed the pin for the lights in the connector was coming out when I would remove the connector.
I soldered the pin back into the PSB & now light are working & the game plays great. I left the game on while working on one of my EM's & after about 3 hours my son & I started playing Hot Tip, after about 2 games the machine just stopped in the middle of playing but was as if we just turned it on. Started a new game & would just keep shutting down. I noticed the strip of capacitors on the driver board in the image were extremely hot. After letting the machine cool down it plays fine. I have seen the capacitor kits for the PSB upgrade, will replacing those 4 capacitors solve my issue or is there something else causing the over heating?

IMG_0095 (resized).JPGIMG_0095 (resized).JPG

IMG_0096 (resized).JPGIMG_0096 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Caps are cheap enough. I’d start by replacing them all and seeing if problem re presents itself. You could certainly bust out the schematic and start tracing paths and measuring voltages, but for me, I’d just recap the power and whatever else and see where I am then. Especially if the age of the caps is original or unknown. But I like soldering so each his own.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks Phat_Jay,
The kits I see only have the 4 blue ones. Good enough?
I should also replace the burnt connector, do you know the size of those? I see .1mm & .156mm.

#4 6 years ago

I’d start here: https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/components/williams-system-3-6-power-supply-105c-cap-kit/
The connectors prob 156, but someone else for sure knows. Some might say I’m shotgunning by doing it this way, but if the cap ages are unknown it’s best to get it done, then you can test board knowing you have clean caps.

#5 6 years ago

Not seeing the picture.
Stock driver boards have some resistors which can get very hot.
Lots of issues come down to bad connectors, cracked solder on header pins, and the like.
Pinwiki.com has good repair info if you like to fix your own games.

#6 6 years ago

Sorry, I thought I added the pic's, there now.

#7 6 years ago

Phat_Jay,
I'll do the kit & see how it goes.

#8 6 years ago

The driver board always gets hot. As long as the game doesn't lock up it won't overheat. Those aren't capacitors on the driver board though, those are resistors. The red ones?

The capacitors on the power board won't help the heat the connector is generating. You need to fully replace both sides of that connector.

Sounds like your game is resetting, which could be a voltage issue, which recapping the power supply could fix. Replacing the lm323 voltage regulator can also help.

#9 6 years ago

Thanks zacaj,
Where do i get the connector, do you know the size ".1mm .156mm".

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Danovh:

Thanks zacaj,
Where do i get the connector, do you know the size ".1mm .156mm".

All the connectors on the hot tip boards are .156 inch. Best place to get all these parts would be great plains electronics. They'll have the header, pins, housing, and crimper, along with caps, etc

#11 6 years ago

Thanks zacaj,
I'll update after i complete the fixes.

#12 6 years ago

Those red resistors are in the lamp matrix. Frankly, yours look pretty good. I've seen far worse. They get pretty warm under normal operation but get really hot if the mpu quits running which is what it sounds like your game is doing. A primary suspect for that behavior is the 40-pin connector between the mpu and the driver boards - order those from GPE while you are at it. Definitely check out the basics for bullet proofing these games in the Pinwiki and Vid's Williams thread. Given that your capacitors still look original there are probably a hundred things you will need to do and most of it is fairly inexpensive and easy - just time consuming. Oh, and fun!

#13 6 years ago

64bsstp,
The mpu has been replaced about 15 years ago, but the machine hasn't been used much since.
I have just picked up for free "Domino" & this machine is great, just finished putting the playfield back together, runs like a charm.
So i have got the pinball itch back. I'm going to get all my pins back to running 100%.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-tip-getting-very-hot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.