• Latest reply 2 years ago by MarkG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hot Tip Game Over relay (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I have a hot tip EM. Ball in the outhole. Power on the game, it immediately resets the game and kicks the ball into the shooter lane. If I press the start button, the game resets again, but never adds a second player.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Erik

#2 2 years ago

If I get the game to start in game over state, I start a game and adds one player and goes to ball one properly. The only way to add players is to manually trip the coin relay.

#3 2 years ago

I suggest checking the lock relay. It immediately energizes when the machine is turned on and powers the game-over relay trip coil, which causes the machine to immediately go to game over when the machine is powered up. It sounds like that’s not happening.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I suggest checking the lock relay. It immediately energizes when the machine is turned on and powers the game-over relay trip coil, which causes the machine to immediately go to game over when the machine is powered up. It sounds like that’s not happening.

Just confirmed. Lock relay is engaging and staying engaged the whole time the game is on. Then just intermittently the game will unlatch the game over relay and be in game over state. Other times it starts a game right away.

#5 2 years ago

When you turn the game on after being powered off, does the game over light come on in the backbox?

#6 2 years ago

Three switches have to close at the same time for the game over trip (unlatch) coil to energize. They are on the lock relay (which is obviously closed the entire time the machine is on), the outhole relay, and the game over relay. Unless you’ve got a short somewhere else, either the switches on those relays are so close they sometime close the circuit when they shouldn’t, or the problem is further upstream, energizing or not energizing either or both relays when they shouldn’t be.

#7 2 years ago

When you turn the game on after being powered off, does the game over light come on in the backbox?

Sometimes. Haha. If it doesn’t start a game immediately, yes, game over light on.

#8 2 years ago

I would also check the wire connection tabs on the switches for the outhole and game over relays to make sure they aren’t so close that they can cause a short.

#9 2 years ago

Another possibility could be the game over relay latch and trip mechanism itself. Does the relay latch and trip consistently when you work it manually?

#10 2 years ago

I’m sorry, I think I was incorrect about the switch on the lock relay, I believe it is open once the machine powers on (being closed when turned off is enough for the game over trip coil to energize when the pin is turned on).

#11 2 years ago

Another possibility could be the game over relay latch and trip mechanism itself. Does the relay latch and trip consistently when you work it manually?

Yes.

#12 2 years ago

Check the coin switches in the coin door.

A coin will usually just start a game on an em rather than just adding credits.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Check the coin switches in the coin door.
A coin will usually just start a game on an em rather than just adding credits.

Yep. Messed with those a bunch. They think they are operating properly.

#14 2 years ago

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just confirmed. Lock relay is engaging and staying engaged the whole time the game is on. Then just intermittently the game will unlatch the game over relay and be in game over state. Other times it starts a game right away.

But what about the Game Over Trip relay? It should trip when you turn the game on just as the Lock relay fires. If it doesn't I'd double check the three switches in red.
Hot Tip Game Over relay (resized).jpgHot Tip Game Over relay (resized).jpg

/Mark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-tip-em-starts-a-game-upon-power-up- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.