You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bb_before (resized).jpg
broken relay (resized).jpg
bb_after (resized).jpg
insert led board (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Edenecho.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Greetings from Norway on this saturday evening!
I had two issues on my Williams Hot Tip (EM), one was that the ball #number lights in backbox were not working, all of them off, and that the shoot again light didnt work, probably a weak bulb holder issue as usual.

#1: I looked closer in the backbox and it seemed to be a (barely) millimeter gap between the wire which connects the 5 bulb bases to the jones plug base, so I jumper wired it.

#2: I bought some of the single LED boards for EM machines ( https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-bally-stern-insert-led-pcb.html ) and thought id just replace this bulb. I removed the playfield by unplugging the jones plugs to solder easier.

When i put the playfield back into the cabinet after these two fixed, and powered it in, something was not as it should. Barely any light, (though ball 1 number light was dimly lit), seemed like a power issue. When I started a game, the score motor seemed to run continuosly and nothing seemed to be able to start. Upon inspecting the area where the jones plugs were, I saw that there was a small wire lying there which looked like a jumper wire, but seemed unused. I then inspected the closest relay which is the Lock-Relay and found out that the plastic part where the lugs are attached was broken. The wires seemed connected, but it will definitely have to be replaced. I nudged it a little but, and powered machine on again and it was normal. when pressing start though, the light dimmed and motor started spinning.

Question: Could this be the culprit, that the machines/lock relay is struggling to pull in fully because its broken? It does not seem logical that my other fixed should cause this behaviour.

Thanks!
Morten

bb_after (resized).jpgbb_after (resized).jpgbb_before (resized).jpgbb_before (resized).jpginsert led board (resized).jpginsert led board (resized).jpgbroken relay (resized).jpgbroken relay (resized).jpg
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

the jones plug base isn't part of a circuit ... you can remove the wire you added and move the frayed ends away from the base.
since the right side is sitting on a staple that is on a bare wire, it may be possible there's a circuit path thru the rivet clamping the mounting base flanges, but if there is, it's not intentional.
the broken coil spool won't bother anything as long as the coil wires aren't shorting to the metal frame. You can replace the coil, epoxy the plastic back together, or tape it up. I'd get the one wire out from between the spool end and frame.

Hmm okay, it seems strange that the wire would not be connected to anything? On the other "side", it is ending in nothing, its just staples. Doesnt it have to be a circuit connected to the wire?

This doesnt explain why the game worked before I did these changes, if the broken coil is still good :/

#5 2 years ago

Thanks for the detailed replies, i will reverse thE jumper wire in the back and see what happens and document better what is happening

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Edenecho.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-tip-em-lock-relay-question?tu=Edenecho and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.