(Topic ID: 345218)

Hot Tip EM Club—Light Those Horseshoes!!

By wolverinetuner

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Garrett
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

97BCDAB0-642F-4D10-9019-1540AFB128D1 (resized).jpeg
7B9E2218-F0A5-4C35-9552-489A10475374 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1124 (resized).jpg
IMG_1123 (resized).jpg
IMG_1122 (resized).jpg
IMG_1121 (resized).jpg
IMG_1120 (resized).jpg
IMG_1118 (resized).jpg
IMG_1117 (resized).jpg
IMG_1115 (resized).jpg
IMG_1114 (resized).jpg
IMG_1113 (resized).jpg
IMG_1110 (resized).jpg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg
IMG_1111 (resized).jpg
Captive Ball (resized).jpg
#1 5 months ago

A number of us are big fans of this pin, so I thought it’s about time for a club thread. Although made in both EM and SS versions, the rulesets are different, and the EMs are scarcer (only 1300 made vs. 4903 SS). Hot Tip EM was made at the peak of that technology, IMO.

Hot Tip is the only EM with drop targets, spinner, and captive ball in the same machine. The bonus-stingy ruleset is outstanding, with re-setting drop target banks that progressively enable more features (e.g., spinning target worth 1000 points per spin, kickout lit for extra ball, drop targets each worth 10,000 points). Satisfying spinner shot leads up to top kickout which yields various “goodies,” and the well-protected captive ball gives dangerous bonus-building opportunities, and also 30,000 points when lit.

Personally, I played PAPA’s Hot Tip EM two years in a row at ReplayFX and couldn’t get enough of it, so I sent PMs to a number of Pinsiders asking if they would part with theirs. One reply was “Not unless I find a better one.” I did find one to buy, and it’s the last machine in my all-EM collection that I would ever sell.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 5 months ago

I first encountered Hot Tip EM at Pinburgh, too!

Picked up a project this summer after a long search. Hope to have it ready to share at Pintastic New England in April.

#3 5 months ago

It was a post by you wolverinetuner about this pin that put it on my wishlist. A big thank youfor that!

This is a good video and explains the game rules;

My pin had a few problems when I got it but the potential for good gameplay was there so I put the time and effort into a restoration. Cupped inserts drive me crazy...

It's simply a blast! Rolled it last night for the first time

Have an Aztec too and the ball times are far shorter on that pin than the Hot Tip. Game times on Hot Tip can be short but also can be kinda long for an EM compared to most.

I'm not into horses or horse racing but the artwork is well done. My wife use to ride horses so she has a new favorite pin. Thank goodness it's a good game because she'll not let it leave the house now. 4MBC use to be her favorite, yeah she can play.
Captive Ball (resized).jpgCaptive Ball (resized).jpg

#4 5 months ago
Quoted from Garrett:

It was a post by you wolverinetuner about this pin that out it on my wishlist. A big thank youfor that!
This is a good video and explains the game rules;

My pin had a few problems when I got it but the potential for good gameplay was there so I put the time and effort into a restoration. Cupped inserts drive me crazy...
It's simply a blast! Rolled it last night for the first time
Have an Aztec too and the ball times are far shorter on that pin than the Hot Tip. Game times on Hot Tip can be short but also can be kinda long for an EM compared to most.
I'm not into horses or horse racing but the artwork is well done. My wife use to ride horses so she has a new favorite pin. Thank goodness it's a good game because she'll not let it leave the house now. 4MBC use to be her favorite, yeah she can play.[quoted image]

That’s a chuckwurt video, and when he posted earlier that he was considering getting that pin, I tried to nudge him in that direction too!

#5 5 months ago

IMG_1111 (resized).jpgIMG_1111 (resized).jpg

Added 177 days ago:

Video showing gameplay and dropping all targets 4 times.

#6 5 months ago
IMG_1109 (resized).jpgIMG_1109 (resized).jpgIMG_1110 (resized).jpgIMG_1110 (resized).jpgIMG_1113 (resized).jpgIMG_1113 (resized).jpgIMG_1114 (resized).jpgIMG_1114 (resized).jpgIMG_1115 (resized).jpgIMG_1115 (resized).jpgIMG_1117 (resized).jpgIMG_1117 (resized).jpgIMG_1118 (resized).jpgIMG_1118 (resized).jpgIMG_1120 (resized).jpgIMG_1120 (resized).jpgIMG_1121 (resized).jpgIMG_1121 (resized).jpgIMG_1122 (resized).jpgIMG_1122 (resized).jpgIMG_1123 (resized).jpgIMG_1123 (resized).jpgIMG_1124 (resized).jpgIMG_1124 (resized).jpg
#7 5 months ago
Quoted from Garrett:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Another nice job on that playfield.

And you just have to like the humor in the artwork on this pin.

#8 5 months ago

Hands down my favorite EM. I have owned 2 over the years to make 1 killer game. 30 years of ownership and it never looses its appeal. Mine is high tapped for some wicked speed. When we would play competitively we would call lighting the spinner Death by Light. 1 million is hard to come by on my machine. Got it from my brother Joe 30 years ago.He told me he made all six drop targets in one shot.I think he’s making it up. What do you think? I judge all other EM games against Hot Tip and they barely measure up.

7B9E2218-F0A5-4C35-9552-489A10475374 (resized).jpeg7B9E2218-F0A5-4C35-9552-489A10475374 (resized).jpeg97BCDAB0-642F-4D10-9019-1540AFB128D1 (resized).jpeg97BCDAB0-642F-4D10-9019-1540AFB128D1 (resized).jpeg
#9 5 months ago
Quoted from locksmith:

Hands down my favorite EM. I have owned 2 over the years to make 1 killer game. 30 years of ownership and it never looses its appeal. Mine is high tapped for some wicked speed. When we would play competitively we would call lighting the spinner Death by Light. 1 million is hard to come by on my machine. Got it from my brother Joe 30 years ago.He told me he made all six drop targets in one shot.I think he’s making it up. What do you think? I judge all other EM games against Hot Tip and they barely measure up.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I believe it is possible for the ball to clear all 6. Extremely rare but possible.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-tip-em-clublight-those-horseshoes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.