Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I moved my working SS Hot Tip (Williams System 3) from my sons garage back to my place. It is now having trouble.

All GI lights work but then shut off after a minute or so. I tracked the problem down to the 6.3vac pins on the power supply board (3J3 pins 1-2) get super hot and the plastic plug softens allowing the pins to lose contact.

Those pins appear to run the GI and if I pull out all the bulbs the pins do not overheat. I thought I might have shorting bulbs but even with new bulbs the problem persists. It can't be a direct short as the pins dont get hot when no bulbs are in, but I don't see what would have changed during the move.

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 4 years ago

Normal issue on these boards. Over time the heat lessens the conductivity, which produces more heat, etc. Later games moved the GI fuse off the board. You can either do that too, or replace the pins, header, and housing. Use Trifurcons.

#3 4 years ago

hmmm, except we have been using the table for 2 years and it never did this before. I have not checked the temp of the connector before but the problem has not surfaced before this... bizarre

#4 4 years ago

I've done some more work on it. I suspect the connector has melted slightly inside as even when I replace the contacts they don't get super hot but do lose connectivity after 60-120 seconds. wiggling the wires re-establishes connectivity. So I am going to replace the whole connector and see if that solves it.

#5 4 years ago

Make sure to replace the header too or the issue will come back much quicker

#6 4 years ago

You could also replace the incandescent bulbs with warm white leds. The leds draw a lot less current. The overheating issue at the connector will be gone forever.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

hmmm, except we have been using the table for 2 years and it never did this before. I have not checked the temp of the connector before but the problem has not surfaced before this... bizarre

Resistance goes up as things age.

Williams always had issues with GI all the way to the end of WPC 95.

You can replace the bulbs with 47's they are dimmer but draw less current. As a compromise on my games I put 47's (or LEDs in some games) in the backbox, and the 44's on the playfield (where the greater illumination is needed).

Moving the GI off the board helps too, with some nice beefy .093 connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-tip-63v-overheating?hl=mikat11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.