• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180420_144133 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Working on my game yesterday and I noticed that one of the banks of ceramic resistors (left bank in picture) was pretty hot to the touch, much moreso than the one on the right. R82 to R88 are the ones in question. Cause for concern? Things to check into? Much appreciated!

20180420_144133 (resized).jpg20180420_144133 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

The resistors on the base of the lamp column drivers get really hot and its pretty normal. Some may be hotter than others because of the duty cycle. They are all normally getting strobed, but it becomes a problem when a column circuit locks on for whatever reason. If a column circuit locks on the resistor will get so hot to the point they desolder themselves and/or burn the board. If all your lamps are working properly and none seem really bright, your columns are probably fine and the heat is normal.

You can look on pinwiki for information about replacing these lamp column drives with a different technology transistor that does require the big current limiting resistors that get hot.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The resistors on the base of the lamp column drivers get really hot and its pretty normal. Some may be hotter than others because of the duty cycle. They are all normally getting strobed, but it becomes a problem when a column circuit locks on for whatever reason. If a column circuit locks on the resistor will get so hot to the point they desolder themselves and/or burn the board. If all your lamps are working properly and none seem really bright, your columns are probably fine and the heat is normal.
You can look on pinwiki for information about replacing these lamp column drives with a different technology transistor that does require the big current limiting resistors that get hot.

Thanks this makes me feel alot better! No bright or abnormal light behavior that I can tell but appreciate the knowledge so I can just keep it in mind if anything does seem weird later on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-taxi-ceramic-resistors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.