Pinball (resized).png
20180814_173538 (resized).jpg
20180814_173655 (resized).jpg
hotshot  (resized).jpg
20180814_022035 (resized).jpg
20180814_022009 (resized).jpg
20180814_022000 (resized).jpg
20180814_022023 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kermit24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Can anyone who has a Hot Shot (1973 Gottlieb) take a good photo of the XB and ZB relays? They are in the front on the game / lower cabinet.

Thanks!!

#2 5 years ago

Anyone out there that can snap a photo of the wiring for these relays?

#5 5 years ago

Thanks so much! This is almost what I need. Can you take a top down view of those relays? I am trying to see is the yellow wire here is attached to more than one tab.

hotshot  (resized).jpghotshot (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago

Yes KingofKoopas very helpful thanks! I fixed the yellow wire but it still isn’t going through the sequence properly to start up. I’ll keep adjusting, etc. Appreciate the help!!!

#11 5 years ago

Thanks for the help and posting the startup sequence. I am out of town but will be back in a couple days and report back.

3 weeks later
#16 5 years ago

So I gave in and asked a tech to come out. He is struggling and wants to talk to someone with a Hot Shot. Would anyone be willing to chat with him?

#17 5 years ago

Never mind. He threw in the towel on it. Something is seriously wrong with it and seemingly there are hacks. I may give it a go myself again.

3 weeks later
#20 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Use that start up sequence and try to describe where you are having the issues. I have one that, by the grace of God, works.

Ok going to give this a go. It will go through the startup sequence until the U relay is supposed to fire the coils that reset the reset bank. The bank never resets.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the Control Bank Reset (U) relay activates and the Control Bank doesn't reset, inspect and diagnose this circuit with alligator clip jumper wires.
[quoted image]

The control bank reset coil won’t fire no matter where I try to jump it in that circuit. It’s like there is no 25V there.

The reset bank coil will fire if I put a 9V battery on it, so the coil itself is ok. Checked the 25v fuse and the fuse near the slam tilt in the cabinet. All fuses are good.

What is intresting is that the schematic has a “slate / red” wire going to the reset coil. It isn’t that color on my game.

B459CA5B-4C7E-4CCF-BFF0-3BD28D6760B5 (resized).jpegB459CA5B-4C7E-4CCF-BFF0-3BD28D6760B5 (resized).jpeg
#25 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What happens when you tap a jumper from the Black&Red wire on the 10 amp SloBlo fuse to the faded Slate&Red wire on the reset coil?

It fires.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Then I don't know what meant when you said this. Can you clarify?

Disregard that I was able to get it to fire by jumping the black / red wire. I am just having trouble isolating why the U relay won't fire the coil.

#28 5 years ago

Another thing I am noticing now is that the Tilt Hold relay won't fire when the start relay / button is pressed. I am having to manually do it. All the slam tilts are adjusted properly.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Does the U relay activate?

Yes it does. It has been activating, but the reset bank coil does not fire.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Here are a couple articles about how to use Alligator clip jumper wires. Do they help you understand what to test next?
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

Yes. I believe it is the score motor switch not passing the voltage, but I didn't have a lot of time to dig in. I am in Orlando for a few days and will report back next week. Thanks for the help.

3 weeks later
#33 5 years ago

OK - Good news (mostly) The tech decided to take another look at this game and got it starting up. Long story, but there were multiple things wrong with the game that prevented it from starting. Miswired tilt relay (prevue owner I assume), broken wire in the cloth insulation, etc.

Now that it starts up, I have played a few games and noticed that the bonus is only counting about half of the bonus it should. It doesn't seem 100% consistent, but there are certain drops that never register a bonus, and others that will register the bonus if they are the only targets down, but if they are lots of targets down it seems only about half of them register. I have checked the bonus score relay and the add bonus relay, and also have cleaned the contacts on the bonus unit. All of the drop target down switches have been cleaned throughly.

Where should I start on this?

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Halloween horror: the dreaded Hot Shot bonus circuits.
Having spent many hours (with the help of another Pinsider) in trying to figure out malfunctions with a Hot Shot bonus system, I might suggest starting with the drop targets that consistently NEVER register a bonus. I would want to figure out what is wrong with them first.
I suggest starting basic by removing the PF glass, starting a game, and then manually dropping target #1 and drain the ball to see if it registers a bonus. If it does not, try it again a couple more times to make sure it's not some other intermittent fault. Repeat with targets @2-14. Write down in a notebook exactly which targets NEVER register a bonus.
When you drop a specific NEVER-register target, does the feature lamp (for the corresponding pool ball) in the center rack on the PF illuminate? If it does illuminate, then the drop-target down switch (IIRC, those are on the inside of each bank, right?) is functioning normally. If the feature lamp does not illuminate, then either the target-down switch is not making good contact, or the circuit has a burned-out feature bulb or a broken wire lead.
If the feature PF lamp for the NEVER target IS illuminating, then the fault almost certainly is with the contacts on the bonus unit or the wire leads to the contact.
Lee

Lee,

All of the feature lamps work properly. I have cleaned and adjusted the bonus unit contacts. I think my issue is that the bonus unit doesn’t go slow enough to count the lit ones and they get skipped.

#40 5 years ago

Fixed! Thanks for this link. The post really helped me understand. The relay that slows the bonus down needed to be adjusted. Now I won’t breathe on it. Ha.

#41 5 years ago

Ok. One (hopefully) last question. My special and 500 or 1,000 point switches don’t alternate during the game.

It seems this is controlled by the “A” relay under the playfield. This relay is always locked on during a game.

How can I make it alternate?

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

There is a switch on the 00-90 AS relay (mini stepper) in the head of the game that is opened and closed as it advances. This switch activates and deactivates the alternating relay. I'll bet this stepper is stuck in one position. The mini stepper should advance each time 10 points is scored.

That was it! Thanks so much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kermit24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-shot-photos-needed?tu=kermit24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.