Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by StratDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
    IMG_0298 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    #1 3 years ago

So been working on a hot shot. All is good except that the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 drops do not register and the center targets below pop bumpers do not register when lit - register fine when not lit.

I am an EM novice so any help greatly appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Do the 6 and 7 targets work? If so, you may have a break in either the green or green-black wires that connect all of the drop target switches together.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

center targets below pop bumpers do not register when lit - register fine when not lit.

Check these switches.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
    #4 3 years ago

Broken wire it is on the drop targets

For the center targets, where are the switch connections loacted. The or-green and sl-gr come off the lamp, and connect where? I don't really understand the EM schematics - I have the originals for the game. SS schematics much easier to read.

Thanks,

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

For the center targets, where are the switch connections loacted.

Can you elaborate? I don't understand the question.

Quoted from StratDoc:

The or-green and sl-gr come off the lamp, and connect where?

In @currieddog's schematic above, the orange-green wire from the left target light socket goes to a normally open switch on the AX (or Target Special) relay. On the other side of that switch a maroon-white (maroon wire with white tracer) wire goes to one of the outer leaves on a Make/Break switch on the A (or Alternating) relay.

The slate-green wire from the right target light socket goes to another normally open switch on the AX relay. On the other side of that switch a maroon+white (maroon and white in equal proportions) wire goes to the other outer leaf on the same Make/Break switch on the A relay.

#6 3 years ago

Found the relays. I will check tonight and post back.

#7 3 years ago

I am not sure what I am looking at on the AX relays and the A relay. If I manually manipulate it I can make one of the lights come on but when I touch the target nothing registers, but occassionally the knocker seems to fire.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

I am not sure what I am looking at on the AX relays and the A relay.

For the contacts to be clean and making solid contact.

Just because the contacts touch does not ensure solid contact. Read more: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

#9 3 years ago

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
    1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
    2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
    3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
    1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
    2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
    3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

I probably wasn't clear in my previous post. I understand the operation of how switches work. What is switch the sequence activation for the two stationary targets so I can hopefully trace down the problem switch(es).

From what I can tell, neither stationary target is is now lighting in game - switch AX never engages in game. I can manually light the stationary target switch by activating "AX" switch under the pf. This turns on the left target light, but it does not register when hit.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

switch AX never engages in game.

These are the sw. that energize AX. Did you check the M/B sw. on A yet? and have you checked for shorts, such as solder drips, connections touching, etc?

#12 3 years ago

So a little progress.

the stationary targets are lighting properly. When activated, they fire the Knocker and the orange coil in the backbox shown below. No points register.

IMG_0298 (resized).jpgIMG_0298 (resized).jpg
    #13 3 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

the stationary targets are lighting properly. When activated, they fire the Knocker and the orange coil in the backbox shown below. No points register.

So you're getting a credit there. Now, they still score correctly when unlit?

#14 3 years ago

Yes, the score correctly when not lit.

#15 3 years ago

Aha!! Just noticed this "100 points OR Special when lit." You have it set to special, ie-a credit. There is a setting somewhere to change that if you want.

#16 3 years ago

You are so right! I have been messing with this for better part of two weeks. I've got it working pretty good.

Wish I could find one of these in really great shape. Love this pin!

Thank you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-shot-drops-not-registering?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.