View topic image gallery

Hot_Shot_bullshit.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
479233_3187133242188_1322334954_o.jpg
467617_3092138747385_1816635940_o.jpg
HotShotplayfield.jpg
hotshot3ballstuck.JPG
#1 11 years ago

So, I finally bought my first pinball table. A 1973 Gottlieb's Hot Shot. The machine works great (after tweaking a tilt relay and sanding some score switches) but there's this goddamn green plastic on the right side of the play field where, if the ball falls or flies up with little to no momentum, the ball will get jammed.

Looking at the issue, I don't know if the rubber is too thick, pushing the plastic outward or if the green plastic is just bowed too far out at the ends creating too much friction and stopping the ball?

Looking at some Big Shot pics, their posts are actually titled inward eliminating this wedge issue and the left rollin lane totally works fine.

I order a new set of rubbers, hoping that they will be smaller but if that doesn't work is there a way to safely soften and bend the plastic back, so it stops blocking the ball.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

hotshot3ballstuck.JPGhotshot3ballstuck.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Nice to see another hotshot! Yours looks much better than mine. As for your question, I had a look at mine but it looks the same as yours. Never had that issue before... Before you try bending the plastic I'll suggest you loosen the screw to see if there's any play to widen the gap. Alternatively, try a washer thats filed to create an angle under the plastic. When you tighten it it will push the fold in further.. Less chance of damaging something might be worth a try...
I'm about to try my hand on some touch up painting on mine in the hopes of getting it to look a little bit more than yours. It's a great EM!!

#3 11 years ago

So file the washer down on the right side?

Oh, and that's not a picture of my table. That's a picture from IPDB. I'm working right now so I didn't have time to run over and take pics of the table.

My table does look great though. The plastics are a bit faded but otherwise the playfield looks awesome. I have some mill wax coming in the mail, so it should look better once i clean it.

Here's a somewhat stylized pic of my playfield that I took for an instagram post.

HotShotplayfield.jpgHotShotplayfield.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Yup, give it a shot! I always try for something non invasive first...

#5 11 years ago

Do my rubbers look puffier than the other table in the 1st picture? I can't tell.

#6 11 years ago

are you using new lane guide plastic in your Hot Shot or the old ones BallPtPenThief ?

#7 11 years ago

I honestly don't know. Is it possible that the guy I bought it from put the wrong plastics in? Because the bowed out shape of the plastics just don't make since, unless they were for Big Shot, because big shot green lane guides angle inward unlike Hot Shot.

Where would I get the correct lane guides?

#8 11 years ago

It may well be the rubber is too big. The ring should be fairly tight and not have much slack. If its too big, it will bend and allow the ball under it rather than bounce it back as a taut ring would

#9 11 years ago

Some forum members advise against millwax (petroleum based) and recommend a carnauba wax instead.

Have fun with your new pin!

#10 11 years ago

Thanks Garrett. Is Carnuba over Millwax due to the type of table or is this preference a general recommendation?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from BallPtPenTheif:

I honestly don't know. Is it possible that the guy I bought it from put the wrong plastics in? Because the bowed out shape of the plastics just don't make since, unless they were for Big Shot, because big shot green lane guides angle inward unlike Hot Shot.
Where would I get the correct lane guides?

try pinball resource.

dan

#12 11 years ago

http://www.pbresource.com/rollover.htm

measure the center to center dimension of the 2 screws and look up on the link,
maybe you have 2 wrong ones ?

#13 11 years ago

Had the same problem with mine.
I just manually held the guide over as far as I could.
I also peeled the rubber back leaving the guide on.. it seemed to let the rubber 'relax enough as to not "push it out" where it binds the ball... has not happened again...

467617_3092138747385_1816635940_o.jpg467617_3092138747385_1816635940_o.jpg 479233_3187133242188_1322334954_o.jpg479233_3187133242188_1322334954_o.jpg

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Juggernaut:

Had the same problem with mine.
I just manually held the guide over as far as I could.
I also peeled the rubber back leaving the guide on.. it seemed to let the rubber 'relax enough as to not "push it out" where it binds the ball... has not happened again...

Peel the rubber back?

I don't think I understand. Oh, and nice refurb on your Hot Shot, I saw it earlier when I was lurking.

Jesus, some kid just threw 50 cents in the empty coin slot and it somehow jammed up the reset switches. Fuuuuuu

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from BallPtPenTheif:

Thanks Garrett. Is Carnuba over Millwax due to the type of table or is this preference a general recommendation?

General recommendation by some people. Just sayin'.

#16 11 years ago

Since I have the attention of so many Hot Shot owners, what's your favorite technique for keeping the ball from draining down the out lanes?

#17 11 years ago

I agree with the rubber being having too much slack in it. I had a Jack in the Box that did the same thing. I used the kit of rubber rings that PBR had sent me. I put the next smaller sized rubber ring on it and it solved the problem.

I've had a couple of Hot Shots and I currently have a Big Shot and as far as draining down the outlanes I never had any real problems with any of mine. Be sure to have your game level side to side with a 3 1/2 degree slope from back to front.

Dave

#18 11 years ago

My new rubber kit should be arriving soon, I'll keep your suggestion in mind when it does. Does anybody else know what Juggernaut meant by "peeling back" the rubber?

#19 11 years ago

Forgive the crude illustration... Peel the rubber back like you are going to change the lightbulb without removing a post. when you put it back, Just make sure the rubber is moving around the guide vs vs the rubber pushing out the guide... Cheesy fix.. but it worked for me..

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-1.jpg

#20 11 years ago

Ohhhhhhh.. I see. Manipulating the rubber into the right position during the mounting of the guide. I'll give it a shot here in a bit. (waiting for a slow traffic time in my store)

#21 11 years ago

I wouldn't even take the guide off...

#22 11 years ago

I tried bunching the rubber deeper behind the guide to alleviate the slack. It works when I'm holding it but there's not enough tension to hold the rubber in place and it just slides back to it's regular position. If there was a pin, inside there I could wrap the rubber back, but I'm hesitant to put pins into the board where they don't belong.

My other idea is to just get a razor blade and to shave down the rubber around the guide. Is that a horrible idea? How did you get the rubber to stay pinched back like that? Hot_Shot_bullshit.jpgHot_Shot_bullshit.jpg

#23 11 years ago

Hey before you do that have you measured the ball?
sounds super simple but they are many sizes - perhaps the owner before you bought the wrong one?

http://www.pbresource.com/Balls.html

#24 11 years ago

Maybe? I mean his other tables were a Power Shot and a Jokerz. Did those tables have different sized balls?

#25 11 years ago

You know over the years you find weird stuff in games,
most common is the tilt ball being re-used in a game because someone is too cheap to buy a new one or not interested in looking it up. Also if you want to make a game a little harder or speed it up one night your buddies come over drinking/playing pinball -drop in a slightly smaller ball but dont tell 'em about it

Best way to find out is use a tool like a spring caliper & take a measurement.
You find these old machine shop tools pretty cheap at garage sales etc. and are good enough for most work we do. Think I paid $2- $3 dollars each?

#26 11 years ago

I bought the table from a tournament player so hopefully the ball is the right size. I don't have a caliper but I'll run it by him when he stops in next week.

I was able to alleviate the issue somewhat. If you look at my "F U Plastic" picture you can see that the metal side rail is a bit mangled. A buddy of mine noticed it in the picture. So I took some padding and a wrench and pressed the rail back as best I could. I also stretched out the rubber a bit more to make it a little more thinner while pressing the posts as far apart as I could and tightening it down. Combined the ball now passes through way easier but I have yet to knock the ball up there at the perfect momentum to see what it does at the apex. As of now, if I set the ball there, it will stick but otherwise it passes through fine.

#27 11 years ago

Fuuuu

Every fix I try is temporary. I'm convinced that it's a combination of a mangled guide rail, a narrow roll in lane, and a flimsy plastic lane guide that gets Pushed out too easily. Even without the rubber the ball can get stuck. I'm just going to cut the plastic until I can get a new metal rail.

I wonder why they made those rollover lanes so narrow on the Hot Shot iteration of the table? They seem to be angled inward on Big Shot.

#28 11 years ago

I guess you are just going to need a new one
soft/flexable plastic wont last for ever

1 week later
#29 11 years ago
Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

I guess you are just going to need a new one
soft/flexable plastic wont last for ever

You were dead on correct.

Before actually messing with anything I decided to order new plastic guide rails. Compared to the old ones, the new plastics are straight, firm, and actually have a slight inward slant against the rubbers. I compared the old ones and the new ones side by side and the old ones are so bowed out and warped that it was obvious what the cause of the problem was.

New plastics in, problem solved.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-shot-73-ball-gets-stuck-between-right-roll-in-and-green-plastic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.