(Topic ID: 188818)

Hot Rod Arcade/Pinball Plating what was your experience?

By knockerlover

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cheshirefilms
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180129_190855 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170718_120901 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170718_120845 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170718_123940 (resized).jpg
    52037643133__5768AD5D-90B8-4076-A90F-F49B8AEB8B7B (resized).JPG
    IMG_2231 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2230 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2229 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2195 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2194 (resized).JPG
    E6E7352E-4460-48A5-9CF4-344456A181CA (resized).JPG
    AD5E341E-02AC-40DD-9128-A4EEFFD42223 (resized).JPG
    355E3771-B461-4012-88F5-DC71103F2863 (resized).JPG
    8815E02C-C336-4F54-BC7D-0DFC330A81D0 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2155 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2156 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

I was a regular customer of Mike C's and was glad to see someone take his business over. I was wondering how others experiences have been getting chrome/playing done through then though?

I sent my STTNG parts to them and they were delivered on Feb 15. Is it normal for them to take over 3 months?

The last comms I got back from Chris was mid April "Kinda hoping to MAYBE get some stuff back from him the week. Would like to be seeing your stuff anytime now, but you never know with him. It's always a crapshoot. I'll let you know if I know anything else. He has a good batch of stuff for Black Nickel and yours is in that. Weather (rain) affects his ability to do that stuff and then clear it in a timely manner. I know that had him messed up last week. Either way I'll let you know if I hear anything, truth is, I usually don't know anything till all the sudden it's "hey this stuff is ready."

I met Ron from pinballplatingandmore at Allentown and he seemed surprised that it would take longer than 8 weeks.

I'm even further confused that Ron said he has hired Mike Chestnuts "guy". Anybody know the full scoop?

Any other experiences? I do a lot of chrome work and really don't like haveing a game torn down and useless for 3+ months.

#2 2 years ago

Hort rod arcade is awesome and Chris is a straight up dude. I've bought pins and chrome from him and never had any issues.

#3 2 years ago

I don't doubt he is a good guy, but this is about the turnaround time on plating work. Have you sent stuff to him for plating or just bought pre-done stuff?

#4 2 years ago

Just stuff that was done. I have sent stuff off to some platers near me that aren't pinball specific and I was initially told one week, then I came back and was told next week, this went on for a month. Part of the problem was lack of urgency, another issue was the polisher didn't polish the parts good enough and the process has to be redone.

I tell you all this because this is the nature of this business. That's why people like Mike C and Chris Royalty are great for this hobby. They typically already had parts that were done and ready for a one for one swap so you wouldn't have to wait and go through the pain of inspections and telling the player to do it again. A lot of the people that work in these shops aren't paid a lot of money for their labor, so sometimes their labor reflects this. Also, some people just don't have enough pride in their job to do a good job regardless of the money.

Anytime multiple parties are involved in a process there will be hang ups, ask any factory worker, it's the blame game or somebody on the line is down etc.

I know some people that have waited several months for their parts because their parts were hard to work with or they had to redo the process a few times before it came out right.

#5 2 years ago

I just ordered and received sets of legs in gold powder-coating (for my ToM) and black nickel plating (for my CFTBL) from Chris at Hot Rod Arcade. Delivery was quick (Chis said they slipped the powder-coating for my legs in between some other jobs) and the quality of the finish was flawless on both the black nickel legs and bolts and the gold powder legs! I think they do top notch work.

#6 2 years ago

I know the Brass Plating takes longer to get back than the Chrome Plating, something to do with the guy that does it for him. If he has a part on his shelf for exchange it's usually a quick turnaround time of 1 to 2 weeks tops.

#7 2 years ago

I'm really sorry this order is taking longer than expected. I always feel bad when orders take longer than I feel like they should, but I do everything in my power to try to set orders up to be done as quickly as possible. Maybe I can help explain a few things...
    Brass, Black Nickel and sometimes custom chrome jobs are all subject to longer waits - unless I have the stuff siting on the shelf, and I keep a TON of stuff on the shelves. This If that's the case I try to get it out the very same day it's ordered. With orders that are done and I can lay hands on, I ship that stuff as fast as possible, staying up most nights doing orders as long as it takes to get them out.
    The deal with Brass and Black Nickel taking so much longer is there's only one guy that does it for the whole hobby. He is of course the guy that did it for Mike, and he does good work. These two coatings have to have a clear coat put on them which is completely messed up with the weather at times, especially rain. I help coach high school baseball and we've hardly had a season here this year due to the enormous amount of rain we've had. Those two platings have to be plated at a time when they can be cleared within the next 48 (24 preferably) hours before they tarnish/turn color. This means he has to watch the weather and have a clear time to even begin plating so it doesn't have to be redone. I would also guess that the amount of stuff that both Woody and I are both taking him dwarfs the amount of work Mike took him. Truth be told, Mike had started telling some he wasn't doing certain jobs anymore, because of the amount of time it takes now to get these types of jobs back, I've heard this from a few customers he told he wasn't doing black nickel anymore, and from his dad. The man that does this work is a great guy, but he also lost his dad a couple of years ago who was the one who ran the shop before. I believe in there are also some of the reasons it might be taking longer, but all we can do is be patient for the work to be done.
    Clear coating is a whole other level of issues as well. Sometimes it just doesn't come out good and it has to be redone. Again, waiting longer. Then at times he does some parts out of order from when he gets them, which is frustrating too, but sometimes that has to do with he can do chrome when he can't do others, or there were issues with the clear on a job and it has to go back in and start all over, etc etc - basically it's messy.
    Sometimes we have to send parts back that are just not up to par, I just had that on a Monster Bash chrome order, but I know no one wants half way done parts so we try to catch that stuff beforehand. But again, it make the order take that much longer. Custom work is what it is and just takes longer than we expect at times. We've even had a bit of a powder backlog lately where I have a few powder jobs - powder over chrome stuff - that we are waiting on getting done as the powder coating gun broke a couple of weeks ago backing up some jobs, we now have more than one gun so that won't slow that down again. Sometimes stuff just happens.
    The main thing I know to do try to offer as many things as possible for exchange. There is where I need wireworm sets to games that people don't need or have on a spare play field. In the case of this this STTNG order, I would have 2 complete sets of wireworms - one for chrome and one for black nickel - but I'm missing one wireworm to each set and an apron guard to each set. I'm really trying to stock as much of this stuff as I can. Truth is, we are not making much on wireworms, it's really a service more than anything, as for the time spent on it and money spent on buying them it will be a long time before I see profit on them - BUT - I hate having people wait too and would rather help them get their stuff done more quickly.
    I have more than one crew doing work for HRA where Mike only had the one guy, which helps with some of the other things, but the brass and black nickel will always be done by the same guy, and one day I'm sure he will not do it anymore.
    Again, I'm really sorry it's taking a while on some orders including this one. I learned this would be the case from the minute I helped Mike's dad deal with the orders that were outstanding when Mike passed. There are some here that can tell you all about that from then. It stinks and I wish I could change it but all I can do is get stuff to people as soon as I can lay hands on it finished and to the quality we all expect.
    Thanks to everyone for being patient with the process. I hope some of the above helps anyone with questions about some of this stuff. Thanks to everyone for your business, it's an amazing blessing to get to help so many of you!
    Please sell me more stuff for exchange, this will help everyone more than folks would ever know. When I took over the biz Mike had about 12 titles of wireworms - we are currently up to almost 45 titles. We have also more than doubled the number of guns available for exchange too.
    Please let me know if I can help any of you anytime.
    Chris
    chris@hotrodarcade.com - www.pinballplating.com

1 month later
    #8 2 years ago

Chris did my Williams Indy parts last month and re-did some GB pieces for me that my local powder coating folks messed up. I found that Chris was super honest, fair and was a great steward of my parts. He didn't just pass off the parts and send them back to me - he QCd them, sent me pictures throughout the process - it was a solid experience and I'll definitely use Chris again.

#9 2 years ago

I'm hoping my stuff is in this next batch, 4 months is a long time for a game to be sitting around unplayable.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

I'm hoping my stuff is in this next batch, 4 months is a long time for a game to be sitting around unplayable.

Unfortunately in my experience with various plating and even powdercoating services this is closer to the norm than the exception. Unless one of the TN guys has a part already done for a swap (a great service option by the way) your parts will always be subject to waiting for the next batch of your desired color, however many times it needs to go through before it is acceptable. Of course there are ways to get things done quicker but that would be substantially more money and what pinball person wants to do that.

#11 2 years ago

Well I received the parts a few days ago, and after a long 4 month wait here is what arrived.

IMG_2133 (resized).JPG

IMG_2134 (resized).JPG

IMG_2135 (resized).JPG

IMG_2148 (resized).JPG

IMG_2150 (resized).JPG

IMG_2149 (resized).JPG

IMG_2153 (resized).JPG

#12 2 years ago

Now I was told about a problem on these two pieces below, and because I had waited so long I opted to have them sent thinking nobody would notice one issue.

What I didn't realize is that this issue is the theme of the whole batch.

One of these pieces is right the other is missing quite a bit.

IMG_2156 (resized).JPG

IMG_2155 (resized).JPG

#13 2 years ago

I'll throw in a comment.

I ran over and looked at these parts in person.

---I would not be happy. Especially since it was a big order, a lot of money spent. Not saying smaller orders are not important, but for high end restorations, I don't think any of the respected high end guys would call the work acceptable.

----timing....the frustrating part is the turn around time....I understand being patient, great work takes time. But I would not discribe this as great work. But who wants to wait another 3 more months with a game down while the parts are being redone? We would now be looking at a game being down over 7 months to get it right.

I have a number of parts that I sent to Ron for plating before Chis picked up Ron''s business. Since Chis will be the only game in town, I am concerned with not only quality, but also how long the parts will take to get finished.

It will be interesting to see the qc and turn around time is in the future.

#14 2 years ago

Well I received the parts a few days ago, and after a long 4 month wait here is what arrived.

Yikes. Did you at least get a discount on that set?

#16 2 years ago

Chris did write me a nice note back. But I'm essentially "over it" at the moment.

Matt,
    I'm very sorry to see these pics. I was looking at all that stuff the best I could while all bagged trying not to open it all. I know you don't want to send them back, but maybe I could have this set I'm about to have done and we could swap them at some point.
    I'll be honest, black nickel is really hard to get good pieces done in. I've wondered if I should even offer it, it seems to be that much of an issue. I've had some folks tell me that Mike said he wasn't "doing it" anymore. Ever sense the guy that does that work lost his dad (who originally ran and owned the business, it's been issues, for Mike, and now us - well me. I bought out my competitor last week so I'm the only one doing it now.
    Either way, I say all that to say, I'm glad to try to fix this for you - no extra charge in the days to come if you'd like to do so. If so I'd send you a set done, then you could swap them out and send me these back. I'm very sorry, I would like the change to make them right and I'm always open to suggestions.
    I took a run of side rails back to him this week in BN due to the plating just not being great.
    The rest of your order shipped middle of the week as well. Keep in touch with me on all of it, I'd rather lose money than lose someone's trust, and at the end of the day I don't want anyone paying for something they are not happy with, so PLEASE do not pay me for these. If I can make you happy later with it I'd be glad to take payment then. Just my thoughts. Thank you for sharing all this and think it all over if you don't mind.

#17 2 years ago

Plating is a very tricky bussiness. I know first hand and have been very involved in plating and manufacturing of metal parts for some time.
    Im in Ca, i have ran through ,gone thru, fired, and flat out searched far and wide for good platers, espeacially brass. Ive tried thinking outside of the pin cabinet and used car guys that only do chrome bumpers. Looking at there shelves i could see hundreds of imperfections.
    Attention to detail very hard in plating. If step one is screwed up, plating is useless. The acid strip of old chrome and brass is essential to the steps thats follow. The 69 rule, 9 percent copper, 6 percent nickle, then chrom or brass. If the bath and tempeture are not right you will get bad adhesion. We in pinball tend to nit pick and complain. I always have to remind myself its a lot better than it was.
    Ron and Chris where both using the same guy. As both of thier businesses grew the list got long this year and the line got longer to receive parts. I think its a very good thing woody sold the buss to Chris. Streamlining with one guy will help this go faster, instead of 2 guys hammering the same plater.
    Both Ron and Chris are outstanding individuals in this hobby and worked very hard long days to provide a service. We are actually very lucky that Chris stepped in after Mike's passing.
    Turn around rime ...i once waited 9 mo for Mike to brass a part..because the line was long. I also was told by Mike several times do not send parts, it will he 3 mo before i can even drop them off. So i feel the turnaround time has actually improved since Chris started carrying so many swap parts. Mike wouldnt set up a booth ever at a show. He knew there wasnt enough time to take all the orders. The powder coat technology exploded here in the past 3 years. Paints and compounds have improved to adhere to our metal.
    I understand the op frustration in his batch. But, we are lucky that the service even exists.
    I see in pics the lack of adhesion in the joints and weld points, these are the hard areas to get an even coat.
    Sorry for long post, hope i was able to make a few points.
    Plating is hard, running a bussiness is hard. Dealing with pinball people can be harder. Patience in pinball is critical in our craft. Need i point out a few hundred threads on the home page. Im at over a year on several projects. Ive been involved with Dan and lite speaker panels for over a year, well close to a year. Manufacturer, concept and design, r and d, licensing, plastics, omg, who would want to get into this hobby like that? Then i see a guy complain about mounting hardware, geez.
    Just yesterday i got the good news my Fish Tales is ready. I should have it in a week.
    Just this week i heard from Chris, been 3 months and im very happy with that. Should have my stuff in a couple weeks.
    Pinball takes time, plating takes longer, making a product for all to enjoy in this hobby, takes years.

#18 2 years ago

Chris did a bunch of parts for my Dacula restore, and I was very happy with his communication, as well as with the parts. It did take some time, but I sent the parts out early in my restore so it didn't really hold me up. I will definitely use him again.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbt:

Chris did a bunch of parts for my Dacula restore, and I was very happy with his communication, as well as with the parts. It did take some time, but I sent the parts out early in my restore so it didn't really hold me up. I will definitely use him again.

He mentioned your job specifically. I think the major difference is yours is powder coat and mine is a plating job. Two different shops.

#20 2 years ago

Sorry you had a bad experience. Black nickel sucks to work with. Honestly it just needs to be not offered. The colored chrome with 2 stage coating looks as good or better and goes on nice with few imperfections. See if Chris can trade you out for a black colored chrome set. You will be much happier with it.

#21 2 years ago

I haven't had any quality issues yet, but the time frame is killing me. I can't have a customer's game tied up for 2+ months waiting on plated parts. Unless I find someone else, I'm going to be pushing a lot more powder coat.

#22 2 years ago

Why anyone mails stuff out for powdercoating is silly to me. There are dozens of shops in any city doing this service for much less. Look to custom wheel guys, car shops, etc. Buy your own custom colors from prismatic color and drop them off local.
    You should not have to spend more than $250 to have all trims done, incl legs. And have them back in a couple weeks.
    And no shipping costs.

#23 2 years ago

This particular job isn't powdercoat. It's black nickel chrome plating.

#24 2 years ago

This is one of the many reasons I decided to sell out to Chris. With brass and black nickel sometimes there is a as good as it gets factor. I agree the parts are not satisfactory, but I am sure after waiting for so long he wanted to get you your parts back. Now with no real plating competition Chris can control the market better and stop taking jobs or stop brass and black nickel plating all together. If Chris did not want to buy me out I was going to completely change my business plan which was going to include cutting out brass and black nickel all together. It really was not worth the headache. Pinball businesses are tough and like Eric said pinball customers are even tougher. You could not pay me to get back into ANY pinball business. The time and stress involved is not worth it. We all hear about certain people in the hobby who just disappear one day never to be heard from again. I was almost to that point and was even considering selling all my machines and being done. I am glad I didn't, because now I am back to enjoying pinball. I have 20-30 orders to finish up and then I will be completely out of the plating business.

To help resolve this issue, I have a STNNG black nickel wireform set. Chris has not picked up all the inventory he bought from me yet. The set i have looks really good, so maybe we can swap your bad parts with my good parts. Let me know.

#25 2 years ago

I had my IJ legs and leg bolts, gun and gun bolts bright brass plated years ago locally here in Illinois. My friend liked the way mine turned out, so he took the same parts over from his IJ. They told him they were sorry but they weren't going to do bright brass any more because it was too much trouble.

I recently had my CFTBL legs and leg bolts done in black nickel by Chris and they turned out perfect. But I think gloss black powdercoat or black-over-chrome would look just as good on legs (and cost less). It would be hard to tell the difference in a dimly-lit game room.

#26 2 years ago

I appreciate some of you chiming in, Eric and Ron especially. Also, really appreciate Matt sharing my email, otherwise it looks like I'm a guy trying to mess someone over, and that's not me. My word and my name mean something to me.
    I never want anyone to pay for anything they are not happy with. The set Ron is talking about is the set I was offering to switch out with you - I didn't know they were already done which makes that even better if you'd like to do it, I'll even eat whatever extra shipping is involved. Like I said, I want to help make it right. That's all I can do and I really would like to do it.
    I have (as Ron did too) spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on unobtainium parts, just to have them for quick exchange (http://www.pinballplating.com/quick-exchange-parts/) and it will take me years to ever see a return on my investment with these, but I did this just to try to keep people from waiting, and moments like this where I get something that I wasn't happy with, but it took so long I didn't blame you for wanting them sent on. I began a couple of months ago deterring people from sending in something I own for exchange until my piece/pieces are ready, to try to help do away this issue. I can't control the wait times on that stuff, but I can try to stock things I know people want done over and over, it's the best I can do.
    Like said above by JD, maybe black nickel shouldn't be offered. Mike quit doing it for almost everyone, minus doing the guns. He was smart, and I should probably follow that lead. I love it just like others do, I wish it were always consistent, but it's not, brass isn't far behind some days but I want to try to offer this stuff as long as I can. I can assure you it's not because we are making more on it either.
    Matt, I would still really like to make you happy with your order and do not want payment till you are.
    I will begin picking up the things at Ron's place next week after I get back from helping with a church camp for teenagers I help oversee every year.

To answer the question about why you might order powder coating from someone like us, I think there are two main reasons - I keep the parts in stock and many do not want to take their parts and have them done, they just want to order and may want to keep the original parts as is. The other reason is we do plating and powder which allows us to do the candy color type stuff that looks so amazing and powder alone folks can't do that. Our price point is pretty good too, I think.

Hope some of this helps.
    Chris

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I had my IJ legs and leg bolts, gun and gun bolts bright brass plated years ago here in Illinois. My friend liked the way mine looked, so he took the same parts over from his IJ. They told him that they weren't going to do bright brass any more because it was too much trouble.
    I recently had my CFTBL legs and leg bolts done in black nickel by Chris and they turned out perfect. But I think gloss black powdercoat or black-over-chrome would look just as good on legs (and cost less). It would be hard to tell the difference in a dimly-lit game room.

For whatever reason, he seems to get legs done and they usually have very few issues. Rails and some other things are a different story. When I jumped into powder, the main purpose other than colors, was to begin to find alternatives for these tough platings.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I want every one could be like that.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

For whatever reason, he seems to get legs done and they usually have very few issues. Rails and some other things are a different story. When I jumped into powder, the main purpose other than colors, was to begin to find alternatives for these tough platings.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I want every one could be like that.

Yes, legs turn out good 99% of the time. Everything else is hit or miss. We have to re-run brass and black nickel parts as many 3-5 times before they come out good. There is a reason very few people through out the United States run brass and black nickel. It is a pain plain and simple. As a hobbyist moving forward I will be doing powder over chrome on my stuff and highly recommend people giving Chris a shot on this stuff. It really does look good and long term will hold up better than brass and black nickel.

#29 2 years ago

Here's my LOTR that Chris did. It took awhile but he told me it would. He did everything to make me happy and he even was able to get cliffys brassed for me. Cliffys! I've heard from many people that plating sucks. Couldn't be happier with my pieces.

8815E02C-C336-4F54-BC7D-0DFC330A81D0 (resized).JPG

355E3771-B461-4012-88F5-DC71103F2863 (resized).JPG

AD5E341E-02AC-40DD-9128-A4EEFFD42223 (resized).JPG

E6E7352E-4460-48A5-9CF4-344456A181CA (resized).JPG

#30 2 years ago

I never understood why people blast out their "bad" business experience with products like these. Some things are not controllable, anytime you take a metal that is decades old and try to apply a coating, so many factors can affect the outcome. Any alloys want to return to their natural state, that's why rust and dissimilar metal corrosion occurs. You can have a very precise operation and have different outcomes depending on what goes in and what condition the metals were in. Have they ever been altered by heat, chemicals or anything? If so, the adhesion process might be different in one area from another.

I don't think it's fair to come on Pinside and in a roundabout way insinuate you received bad service. From what I have read, you have received exceptional service with updates and everything else. You were even offered an exchange with free shipping to attempt to make you happy. Like I said, some things are in predictable, maybe it took so long because the platters tried the process a few times on your parts and the result is as good as it's going to get on your parts.

I hear it all the time from business that they are considering shutting down or avoid certain customers because they are quick to go on the internet and blast out their story before all the dust settles.

I'm not picking on anybody, I would just advise a different approach or just don't post any negative unless it's legitimate. If this hobby is to small to run people off or make them get out of the business

#31 2 years ago

This thread started as a question after I had waited 3 months for parts. The experience was shared later once I received my parts. And I think it's fair to offer my experience from both sides. Chris has been more than fair, but also think it's fair to let others know good bad or indifferent. I'm not putting anyone on blast here.

#32 2 years ago

To be fair I also promoted this business on my podcast and how excited I was, and how beautiful it was last time.

#33 2 years ago

This thread started as a question after I had waited 3 months for parts. The experience was shared later once I received my parts. And I think it's fair to offer my experience from both sides. Chris has been more than fair, but also think it's fair to let others know good bad or indifferent. I'm not putting anyone on blast here.

I do not feel like you are being out of line. The pieces obviously have some bad spots. I have been on both sides of fence, so I get it. Maybe this is the time to cut black nickel out completely. There have been times people have waited 12 weeks and I find one piece that might have a bad spot. Do I hold the order up longer and try again or send everything? It is a really tough business. I talked to Chris and I can send out my old set (which is now Chris's) to help out. Let us know.

#34 2 years ago

Gotcha, I understand

#35 2 years ago

Again. Chris is a reasonable guy and definitely willing to make things right. Ultimately I ended up sending the trim pieces back, and took him up on his offer to swap out the wireforms.

Sounds like I'm an unlucky recipient with a combination of having high expectations for black nickel. Regardless here is the product I received.

IMG_2194 (resized).JPG

IMG_2195 (resized).JPG

IMG_2229 (resized).JPG

IMG_2230 (resized).JPG

IMG_2231 (resized).JPG

#36 2 years ago

52037643133__5768AD5D-90B8-4076-A90F-F49B8AEB8B7B (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #37 2 years ago

Just installed my Spiderman with chrome and blue powder from Chris- really nice stuff

IMG_20170718_123940 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170718_120845 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170718_120901 (resized).jpg

#38 2 years ago

Seems like powder coating and chrome plating are two different shops. All the powder coating stuff I'm seeing looks great. I'm having chris do all of my safecracker stuff in a gold powder coat, so I am anxious to see how that turns out.

I didn't have such great luck with the black nickel.

#39 2 years ago

Based on my recent reading and youtube education sessions, powder coating is shockingly easy. You just need a big oven and a spray rig from Harbor Freight. I totally want to build/buy a big oven now and try my skills out, as if I need another hobby. Maybe I'll start with small parts in a cheap toaster oven...

#40 2 years ago

Seems like powder coating and chrome plating are two different shops. All the powder coating stuff I'm seeing looks great. I'm having chris do all of my safecracker stuff in a gold powder coat, so I am anxious to see how that turns out.
    I didn't have such great luck with the black nickel.

Not necessarily, both crews do amazing plating work, it's a black nickel issue, but worry not, I'm not selling black nickel trim now, tired of fooling with it.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

Not necessarily, both crews do amazing plating work, it's a black nickel issue, but worry not, I'm not selling black nickel trim now, tired of fooling with it.

For me it is a time issue - I just can't tell people that their game will be down 3 - 4 months for plating. It was never that bad before. My games, no problem but when it's someone else's game it just won't work. Never had an issue with quality - always been top notch.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

For me it is a time issue - I just can't tell people that their game will be down 3 - 4 months for plating. It was never that bad before. My games, no problem but when it's someone else's game it just won't work. Never had an issue with quality - always been top notch.

Thank you for your kind words, I really do appreciate it. This is why I'm trying to carry more and more quick exchange stuff and try too help in that area and have one day turnaround times. That being said, anytime someone wants to send in every piece of metal from a game, it's going to take a long time. Orders for stuff I have on the shelf ship the same day as sent in, usually. I wish the other stuff was that way but custom work takes time. Especially for quality. Mike only had one crew, I have the original and another now, both do plating, plus the new crew adds in powder as well. I do machines for people too, if they want it done up that way, they wait, or they don't want it done. Big custom orders will always take several months, there's so much more work involved that people understand. Prepping the parts to be done alone takes a great deal of time, then certain parts don't plate well the first time, etc.
    I'm always looking for ways to ease the burden of our guys so that the turn around times can be faster. Slowly I think we are getting there in some aspects.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

Thank you for your kind words, I really do appreciate it. This is why I'm trying to carry more and more quick exchange stuff and try too help in that area and have one day turnaround times. That being said, anytime someone wants to send in every piece of metal from a game, it's going to take a long time. Orders for stuff I have on the shelf ship the same day as sent in, usually. I wish the other stuff was that way but custom work takes time. Especially for quality. Mike only had one crew, I have the original and another now, both do plating, plus the new crew adds in powder as well. I do machines for people too, if they want it done up that way, they wait, or they don't want it done. Big custom orders will always take several months, there's so much more work involved that people understand. Prepping the parts to be done alone takes a great deal of time, then certain parts don't plate well the first time, etc.
    I'm always looking for ways to ease the burden of our guys so that the turn around times can be faster. Slowly I think we are getting there in some aspects.

I do appreciate that you are trying to improve - the quick turn items will definitely help. I am going to do the same thing with my folks - if they can't wait, then they don't get their stuff plated.

6 months later
    #44 1 year ago

Addams and Drac got the HRA treatment

IMG_20180129_190855 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 49.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 30.40
    $ 26.50
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside