5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by tfduda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 months ago

After nearly two hours of continuous use this evening, I popped open the back door of my 1955 United Manhattan and noticed that both the control and mixer unit motors were hot (both more or less the same). They were hot to the touch, but not too hot to burn fingertips after brief touches.

I understand that electric motors like this will get warm after extended use, but should they be getting this hot?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

#2 5 months ago

Are the motors noisy?
    If so, you may want to add some oil the the gear box.
    My motors get quite warm after a long session of use, not what
    I would consider "hot".
    Terry K

#3 5 months ago

Thanks for the insight Terry. The heat was noticeable along with the odor of hot oil when I opened up the rear door last night. I’d certainly say that the motors were well above “quite warm.” This was probably the first time I got into the back after the machine had been used for such an extended period. Other times that I have gone in the back (for troubleshooting various issues), the motors had likely only been working for a short bit and they were more like what you described (i.e., warm but not hot).

The motors don’t seem noisy to me (not anything more really than a quiet hum), but I don’t have lots of familiarity with bingo machines and so they could be louder than they should be. I added several tsps of oil (blue 3in1 stuff) to the gearboxes when I picked up the machine about 1.5 years ago, but perhaps they could use more. Will check on this.

Also, I haven’t taken apart and cleaned the control or mixer units and so it’s possible that the motors are under some strain due to grimy/gummed up conditions. The machine had been sitting for some time when I picked it up and had some gummed up steppers and added wiring hacks to it. Given that the mixer and control units seemed to be working properly, it was one thing I thought I could put off. I suppose the temperature issue may now be a good reason to stop putting this off.

#4 5 months ago

Are the plastic (If they’re plastic) fan blades still on the motors? If a fan blade breaks or comes off or doesn’t function as it should then that motor will not only get hot but it will fail not long after.

#5 5 months ago
    Quoted from 29REO:

Are the plastic (If they’re plastic) fan blades still on the motors? If a fan blade breaks or comes off or doesn’t function as it should then that motor will not only get hot but it will fail not long after.

Yes, both motors have intact fan blades (metal I believe).

#6 5 months ago

Yes, your clutches may be loading down your motor(s).
    I didn't have to get into that with my machine.
    Terry K
    p.s. I'm using Multi Prod. motors, replaced the Merkle motor.

#7 5 months ago
    Quoted from Terry1:

Yes, your clutches may be loading down your motor(s).
    I didn't have to get into that with my machine.
    Terry K
    p.s. I'm using Multi Prod. motors, replaced the Merkle motor.

Thanks again Terry. I'll plan to dismantle, clean, and reassemble both units.

#8 5 months ago

Dismantled and cleaned both units. Used neatsfoot sparingly on the clutches after they were cleaned. Added some oil to the motors. Got everything back together and the machine is working as it should. And maybe the motors sound a tad bit like they’re running a bit smoother (or so I’d like to believe). There was a bit of grime on everything, but overall most things didn’t seem too bad.

The motors are perhaps “quite warm” or maybe more like “kinda hot” after about ten mins of running. I’ll see if I have the chance in the coming days to run it for longer and see if they still get as hot as they did over the past weekend.

#9 5 months ago

I'm not sure about your machine, but, with mine, the motors turn off after
    the "timer" unit times out.
    Possibly why my motors keep cooler(ish)
    Terry K

#10 5 months ago

The motors will shut off after the timer unit steps up all the way (maybe five or so minutes after the last ball is played). But with continuous play, the timer unit continually gets reset and so the motors stay on.

This past weekend, I had won lots of replays with several five in a rows, a name feature completion, etc. and so ended up playing the machine continuously for almost two hours (with nearly $20 in earnings--though no one in my house is ever willing to pay me). And that's when I opened up the backbox and noticed all the heat and hot motors.

At this point I guess I just hope that the cleaned up mixer and control units will mean cooler running motors and no burned out motors in the near future.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 132.00
    $ 109.99
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 19.95
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 85.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside