(Topic ID: 26725)

Hopeless? Finding a Monster bash in playable shape for around $5k?

By DrewAVL

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

The title says it all. This seems to be the game at the top of my list, leagues above the rest. The art, the game play, the sound! Seeing as I am just getting into the hobby I cannot see myself paying the $12k or so these things seem to go for. Should I let go of the possibility of finding one for around $5k? I just want one that looks decent and plays well don't need a minty machine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

#2 11 years ago

Unfortunately for you I think finding one for $5000 is going to be very very difficult, probably near impossible. But you never know, never keep looking. Good luck.

#3 11 years ago

Probably not going to happen, but a year or two ago you could. Good luck!

#4 11 years ago

Bad news, but I appreciat the input fellas. I will keep looking... Craigslist going to be the best bet I would imagine?

#5 11 years ago

The bad news is that it will be tough to find one in your price range. Up it by $1-2K and you stand a very good chance. $10K+ will get you a nice restored one.

The good news is that there are a ton of other excellent games out there for less dough. If you really need a mid-90s, campy, funny, horror themed Williams/Bally pin that some say is too easy, I suggest Scared Stiff.

#6 11 years ago

Thanks Jayhawkai, I may end up beefing up what I am willing to spend, I guess it just won't be my first machine.

Scared Stiff is a cool looking game, I am just in love with the music, color schemes and toys of Monster Bash. If you ever spot a Monster Bash around 6 or 7K please drop me a message.

Thanks again!

#7 11 years ago

Also if someone wouldn't mind explaining to a newbie (me) why a year or two would make such a difference in the machines price I would appreciate it. I just don't understand how a game made years ago and only a certain amount of them made would fluctuate year to year that much. Is it feasible that the demand for the machines will go down in the years to come and they will drop in price again?

#8 11 years ago

Unfortunately (like me), costwise, you are getting into the hobby when prices are at an all time high. But like jayhawkai said, scared stiff is a good game in that price range. Also, there are a lot of underrated games that sell for pretty fair prices.

Check out the bang for your buck list in the top 100 section. I came in not sure what game I wanted to buy, and I think it actually worked out better for me. There are so many games out there to choose from, that there's no reason to marry yourself to one title to start. Just play a bunch and find a number of them that you like. That makes it way easier to find one at a good price.
I'd love a mb, afm, and mm. But at 10k+, it's not in the cards right now.

Good luck!

#9 11 years ago

Fair enough, thanks sammiesguys. Good advice indeed!

#10 11 years ago

They are out there for $5k but you really have to work at finding them. I know of a MM that was 100% playable and not blown out that was bought for $5k less than 2 months ago. I was the second one there or I could have had it.

#11 11 years ago

I'm in the middle of getting one restore by Bryan Kelly. What's sick is that a friend of mine recently purchased one from a local bowling alley about 2 months ago for $3500. I was shocked he was able to pick it up for that.

#12 11 years ago

That is encouraging to hear absocountry2. Sorry to hear you got beat to the punch, that must sting a little.

Smassa - S/;t! Your boy lucked out there. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to go on location and try to buy off of someone that doesn't care about its collector value and only cares how many quarters they can pull in. Also on a side note I see you live in San Diego (the whale's vagina) - I lived in PB for a number of years before moving here to Asheville. Miss the food and the beach but that is about it.

Post edited by absocountry2 : Profanity edited

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

That is encouraging to hear absocountry2. Sorry to hear you got beat to the punch, that must sting a little.

No sting, I do not get worked up if I miss a pin. I find a lot more deals than I miss. I do not try to buy and sell every pin I find to try and make money. I am glad I missed it because I would have kept it. Trying to save money to build a new gameroom/shop next summer.

#14 11 years ago

I suppose there is a bright side to almost everything. New gameroom/ shop sounds better anyway.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

No sting, I do not get worked up if I miss a pin. I find a lot more deals than I miss. I do not try to buy and sell every pin I find to try and make money. I am glad I missed it because I would have kept it. Trying to save money to build a new gameroom/shop next summer.

You have a great collection of pins. Why would you be upset. Now please sell me the extra WWF for super cheap. I'm real close so you don't mind delivering right. WooHoo

#16 11 years ago

I suggest reading the book called the Secret.
I also suggest saving more money and having $6000+ on hand at all times.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

Also if someone wouldn't mind explaining to a newbie (me) why a year or two would make such a difference in the machines price I would appreciate it. I just don't understand how a game made years ago and only a certain amount of them made would fluctuate year to year that much. Is it feasible that the demand for the machines will go down in the years to come and they will drop in price again?

Supply and demand, obviously there are limited older machines and I think the demand was jacked up by Pinball Arcade and other xbox and ipad games. I think that's the main reason anyway.

I also think prices could go down in a few years, if it ends up being more of a fad, although I think that's a slim chance. I know I can only see my collection getting larger myself personally.

I love MB btw, but never played on location, just my xbox lol.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I also suggest saving more money and having $6000+ on hand at all times.

I agree. I have found that out, that cash is king, no doubt.

#19 11 years ago

A good friend of mine picked one up for $6500( I think) so your almost there.

#20 11 years ago

Its going to be one of those "being at the right place at the right time" kind of things. Every once in a while you,ll come across someone who has had a pinball left behind in the basement or in the car garage and they want the "damm thing" out. They may not even know the name of it, thats why a person needs to always check those kind of adds out. Also you need to check the adds every day because they dont last long.

I had a good friend that has made a living selling used arcade and pinballs tell me this. He has found a few "gold mines" over the years.

#21 11 years ago

About the only hope one has of finding a cheap MB these days is to find an op who has one and doesn't know the collectible value. As time goes on, more and more of these end up going from operators into collectors hands and once in collectors hands, the price goes up.

The ops are out there, but fewer and fewer of them operate pins so the odds are getting worse.

#22 11 years ago

You have to be realistic here... is it possible? Sure, most anything is possible but realistically you will have to pay $7000 plus for any working MB these days. Anything under that consider yourself very lucky!

#23 11 years ago

As the previous post mentioned just need to be lucky. I was and here is a little tip on how to find other pinball machines at the cheap. Call into your local boys and girls club's believe it or not they have some pins for the kids to play and may want to get rid of them. I hate to mention this for fear of people actually crying, but that is where I got mine, they wanted to get rid of it for free just come and get it and ended up giving them cash to help the center out. I paid $100 cash because that was all they could take for it.

#24 11 years ago

I also have to believe (positive thinking) that JJP will come out with a monster/horror themed pin soon (Elvira, Universal Monsters reboot, Munsters (ha!), etc.). I'm not holding my breath for Stern, they seem to be all about the licensed comic book themes right now.......

#25 11 years ago

A local guy found a free pinball machine add on Craigslist a couple months back,and it happened to be a MB. That lucky bastard. I need to start checking the free adds.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from ianwho:

A local guy found a free pinball machine add on Craigslist a couple months back,and it happened to be a MB. That lucky bastard. I need to start checking the free adds.

He got the deal of the decade right there - IF - it was working and playable.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

He got the deal of the decade right there - IF - it was working and playable.

I'd say he got a deal even if it wasn't working. Lol

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I'd say he got a deal even if it wasn't working. Lol

Thats what I was thinking.

Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

Now please sell me the extra WWF for super cheap. I'm real close so you don't mind delivering right. WooHoo

I am going to sell one of them but delivery would cost more in fuel than the cost of the pin. It is over 4,000 miles to you. The distance kills us here. Shipping is around $700 for a pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 75.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hopeless-finding-a-monster-bash-in-playable-shape-for-around-5k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.