(Topic ID: 94884)

Hope you're not planning on modding any parts on Metallica...

By Frax

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

!10155916_10202766773283398_505759112560933582_n-505.jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

FS: Metallica Launch Party Grand Champion Trophy - $500.

!10155916_10202766773283398_5057... 17 KB

add to cart

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I just call Stern, email pictures and it is usually replaced under warranty, even if it's out of warranty.
I like to show them how a part broke, so future parts can be made better in new games.

Wrong....they seemed to have changed their policies. I had the $110 GI lighting board on my AC/DC go out one month after warranty and they made me pay for it myself. Trent tried to get them to cover it too and they refused. I found the culprit to be that they had stuffed the wiring to one bulb off to the side during assembly and the insulation got worn thru. During play the wired contacted and shorted the board. We sent them pics and they still refused.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I just call Stern, email pictures and it is usually replaced under warranty, even if it's out of warranty.
I like to show them how a part broke, so future parts can be made better in new games.

Quoted from playernumber4:

Wrong....they seemed to have changed their policies. I had the $110 GI lighting board on my AC/DC go out one month after warranty and they made me pay for it myself. Trent tried to get them to cover it too and they refused. I found the culprit to be that they had stuffed the wiring to one bulb off to the side during assembly and the insulation got worn thru. During play the wired contacted and shorted the board. We sent them pics and they still refused.

I am surprised to hear this. In my experience, Pat Powers at Stern Tech Support has always gone out of his way to ensure that Stern stands behind their products. That is one reason that I am a repeat Stern customer.

#54 9 years ago

Stern has no responsibility to sell extra parts for a pinball machine for the purpose of modding, or having "spares" (to mod).
And if they are trying to pull a few extra bucks, or make special editions from selling custom painted Sparkys, why would they even think of it?
Sounds like custom parts that are proven to be broken are replaced without issue, sometimes free.
Sux you can't get what you want, but they never promised anyone the ability to mod.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I was gonna down thumb the post because that's fuxing stoopid of Stern and makes me worry about the STLE.
But I didn't want to affect your karma as it's good info.

that's a pretty dickish move on their part.

I gotta say; that Stern proably makes a margin on all these parts; They really need to stop all of this alienating the enthusiast crap that Gary started a few years ago.
Embrace the Enthusiast crowd.... make money of them at 8k/machine... and then on "spare parts". seems like a no brainer to me.

#56 9 years ago

This is another reason why I am leery of Stern machines. When something breaks, can you get parts to fix it. Im at a point right now where I am bored of the W/B games which I can get parts for but Stern you cannot and JJP you cant either. I just bought a POTC from a really great guy on this group and I wonder what I will do when something breaks. It is a HUO machine in great shape now so hopefully nothing will.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from SaneWilly:

I ran into a similar situation when the Hulk magnet rubbed a hole through the pressure plate that sits on top of it on my AVLE. None of the regular parts shops listed it and Stern customer support wouldn't respond to emails asking if I could buy one from them.
I ended up asking my distributor to order one from Stern and he had no issues. I was happy to find out that he could order parts I can't get myself.

I am starting to see the hole being punched through my second plate, the original owner was able to get one and I installed it.
I am the second owner and none of the suppliers carry this part so I will have to make one up.
I am done buying Stern games, if a game specific part breaks you are SOL.
They can keep their games and their parts.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I am starting to see the hole being punched through my second plate, the original owner was able to get one and I installed it.
I am the second owner and none of the suppliers carry this part so I will have to make one up.
I am done buying Stern games, if a game specific part breaks you are SOL.
They can keep their games and their parts.

It wasn't cheap either. Around $50. I wonder if some kind of flat metal cliffy could protect that part and leave the magnet functioning...
I'm assuming the magnet was flush with the PF when it wore through your second plate. Is that correct?

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from SaneWilly:

It wasn't cheap either. Around $50. I wonder if some kind of flat metal cliffy could protect that part and leave the magnet functioning...
I'm assuming the magnet was flush with the PF when it wore through your second plate. Is that correct?

Yes, I set it flush.
I sent the first one to Cliffy the problem is most guys don't have the ability to rivet then there is the decal.
I suppose if enough people asked he would cut some.
50 bucks, WOW! That is a poke in the whiskers for a small piece of metal and a sticker.
No wonder you don't see these games on location anymore.

#60 9 years ago

Guys Stern will get you parts for anything broken.

#61 9 years ago

Don't tempt me...

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Alright, cool. Will do JJ. Sorry I didn't get Met from you, but I had a pretty smokin' deal.

No Stress! I can't win them all. But I do want to make sure the pinball community gets taken care of.

JJ

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

I think Stern is starting to restrict sales of certain parts to prohibit people from building their own LE's. Other than that thought they are probably low on parts like said above.

Bingo! I had modified a apron for a bigger laser area and wanted to have a replacement factory one in case I ever decided to sell it. I had to send pictures of my apron damage and the serial number for the privilege to buy a replacement. Definitely tight on the LE parts. I'm glad though someone can't build number 801.

1 month later
#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I was gonna down thumb the post because that's fuxing stoopid of Stern and makes me worry about the STLE.
But I didn't want to affect your karma as it's good info.
that's a pretty dickish move on their part.
I gotta say; that Stern proably makes a margin on all these parts; They really need to stop all of this alienating the enthusiast crap that Gary started a few years ago.
Embrace the Enthusiast crowd.... make money of them at 8k/machine... and then on "spare parts". seems like a no brainer to me.

But if you could build an LE out of a premium for cheaper Stern is losing money.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Because apparently Stern won't sell us any spares. Just a FYI, not only can we now not buy Sparky, we can't buy Crosses or Snake upper or lower parts either. Fantastic. Thank you SO much Stern. Great NIB buyer support there...
Post edited by Frax: Wording to clarify, issue is NOT with stern providing replacement parts for broken ones.

Just a heads up, but my local distributors parts counter has all of the above for sale. Multiples. And parts for pretty much every other stern out there as well. So maybe it was not available, but it is now. Or if you were trying to buy from your local distributor maybe it was a issue between them and Stern.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Just a heads up, but my local distributors parts counter has all of the above for sale. Multiples. So maybe it was not available but it is now.

Thank you!

#67 9 years ago

Anyone 3D printing sparkies yet?

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Anyone 3D printing sparkies yet?

Sure it will happen soon as someone can figure out how to get the springs in there so it works right..

Imagine if you could 3d print new chairs all kinds of awesome crap that could be done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hope-we-dont-break-any-parts-on-metallica/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.