(Topic ID: 94884)

Hope you're not planning on modding any parts on Metallica...

By Frax

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

!10155916_10202766773283398_505759112560933582_n-505.jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Because apparently Stern won't sell us any spares. Just a FYI, not only can we now not buy Sparky, we can't buy Crosses or Snake upper or lower parts either. Fantastic. Thank you SO much Stern. Great NIB buyer support there...

Post edited by Frax: Wording to clarify, issue is NOT with stern providing replacement parts for broken ones.

#2 9 years ago

So they are running out of replacements. Just make another order from the manufacturer. Or, allow someone like PBL to place an order direct.

#3 9 years ago

I think Stern is starting to restrict sales of certain parts to prohibit people from building their own LE's. Other than that thought they are probably low on parts like said above.

#4 9 years ago

But aren't the Sparky's the same?

#5 9 years ago

They are all the same with exception to the DD LE's coming out. I have heard some squawking over some people trying to acquire ST Premium parts with no success but it could just be because they are still on the production line.

#6 9 years ago

Do pinball machines fall under that law that the manufacturer has to stock and offer replacement parts for a minimum of 7 years? I know it is that way for computers and electronics. I think they can only charge MSRP by law as well so if sparky is $300 list they can't charge more than that.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

So they are running out of replacements. Just make another order from the manufacturer. Or, allow someone like PBL to place an order direct.

Uh, they can't. How do you think I know about it? =P

#8 9 years ago

Funny...they sure have a lot of extra Sparkys for Dirty Don to paint...trophies etc.

I tried getting one last fall and gave up

#9 9 years ago

Did a part break? Did you ask your distributor to replace with you returning the broken part?

#10 9 years ago

I asked for a replacement hammer so I can paint mine and keep one original. They asked for a picture of my game and serial number to prove I own it. With out proof there not selling parts. So my understanding is just the modders are getting stuffed not the owners

#11 9 years ago

Were you able to buy one? They never asked for my serial number of my LE

Quoted from lllvjr:

I asked for a replacement hammer so I can paint mine and keep one original. They asked for a picture of my game and serial number to prove I own it. With out proof there not selling parts. So my understanding is just the modders are getting stuffed not the owners

#12 9 years ago

I wonder if JJP is going to start doing this too? Like not sell the ECLE people some of the parts that might show up on the ruby edition? I hope not. It would really suck if all the manufacturers start to get that petty, over little molded plastic pieces and whether or not customers can buy them? What has happened to this industry? Is that the main value of games now? Why not try to just make a great-playing pinball game and not hold little plastic decorations hostage?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Because apparently Stern won't sell us any replacements. Just a FYI, not only can we now not buy Sparky, we can't buy Crosses or Snake upper or lower parts either.

So did you approach them about having a broken part that you needed a replacement for or you were just trying to buy a Sparky? Two different worlds, I could see them not selling extra specialty parts but would help out someone if they had a broken or defective one?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I'd be fine showing proof.. I asked Terry to check on these and a few other things on the machine, maybe that's why he got stuffed by Stern. He's not my distrib for my game. I was trying to avoid going through them, frankly. Guess I'll give them a shot....meh. Anyone successfully purchased these parts and care to PM me with what you paid so I know if I'm getting jacked around or not?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

So did you approach them about having a broken part that you needed a replacement for or you were just trying to buy a Sparky? Two different worlds, I could see them not selling extra specialty parts but would help out someone if they had a broken or defective one?

I guess I don't understand why any business with a thing they can sell at a profit wouldn't want to make said profit by selling said thing. Who cares if people want to buy extras? take the money and make some more.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

It doesn't matter. I'm a purchaser of a NIB game. If I want to buy extra parts for backups/spares, that shouldn't be an issue. I'm not asking for a mirrored backglass or an LE plate. It's a freakin' piece that is on EVERY GAME THAT WILL BE MADE.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I wonder if JJP is going to start doing this too? Like not sell the ECLE people some of the parts that might show up on the ruby edition?

I'm pretty sure you can already buy the Ruby enhancements from Matt (Back Alley). Other than the armor.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I'm pretty sure you can already buy the Ruby enhancements from Matt (Back Alley). Other than the armor.

Thanks for the confirmation!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'd be fine showing proof..

How about you show us the proof? You're being very vague about whether you need a part to replace a broken one, or if you just want spares. Is your game even unplayable? From what you've posted, I can't tell.

What you're experiencing is nothing new. Certain parts aren't available from the usual suppliers either because the game is too new or the part won't sell enough. If the game is out of warranty, you go through your distributor. That's what I did for replacement standup targets for the upper playfield on FGY, among other parts. MET is still listed as in production. No surprise you can't buy all the parts you want for that title.

#20 9 years ago

I just call Stern, email pictures and it is usually replaced under warranty, even if it's out of warranty.

I like to show them how a part broke, so future parts can be made better in new games.

#21 9 years ago

I ran into a similar situation when the Hulk magnet rubbed a hole through the pressure plate that sits on top of it on my AVLE. None of the regular parts shops listed it and Stern customer support wouldn't respond to emails asking if I could buy one from them.
I ended up asking my distributor to order one from Stern and he had no issues. I was happy to find out that he could order parts I can't get myself.

#22 9 years ago

It's not broke

Quoted from phishrace:You're being very vague about whether you need a part to replace a broken one, or if you just want spares.

Quoted from Frax:

If I want to buy extra parts for backups/spares,

Yep, that's SOOOO vague...

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's not broke

Then you don't need parts. The game is still in production. Relax. It's also one of the best Stern's to come off the line in years. Really pisses me off that you're wasting time bitching here when you could be playing it. If you want to waste time, do it on the pinball machine, not here.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Then you don't need parts. The game is still in production. Relax. It's also one of the best Stern's to come off the line in years. Really pisses me off that you're wasting time bitching here when you could be playing it. If you want to waste time, do it on the pinball machine, not here.

Yeah, okay. I have several hundred plays on the game since TPF. I don't think there's any lack of playing going on. God forbid I can't worship at the altar of Metallica 24/7, while I'm planning my vacation, doing my normal work, playing video games I want to play, paying my bills, feeding my kids, trying to enjoy my birthday, and everything else that a normal, healthy, life would involve...sheesh..

Try to save people some time from wasted efforts, and everyone thinks they have a right to SH-- in your face... where's the smiley emoticon that's flippin' the bird?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Really pisses me off

By the way, if THIS really pisses you off, you might want to stay away from my posts for your own health...you're likely to have a coronary pretty quick if I really got going about something...jesus, lol..

#26 9 years ago

I bought a Sparky figure off pinballlife a week ago, so you just gotta keep checking as the website changes hourly sometimes. I have a full game plastic kit coming with the game as back ups and to have since i'am keeping forever might as well have a plastic kit for it too.I ordered the kit through the distributor $140..

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I bought a Sparky figure off pinballlife a week ago, so you just gotta keep checking as the website changes hourly sometimes. I have a full game plastic kit coming with the game as back ups and to have since i'am keeping forever might as well have a plastic kit for it too.I ordered the kit through the distributor $140..

I totally gave up on Sparky. I couldn't ever get even a remote estimate on having Geert do it, my wife doesn't want to spend what we think it might cost, and then if we actually wanted to have an additional sparky in hand...imo it just isn't worth the 250+ that Terry was asking for the last one, not for us. The only reason we'd need one is so we could play the game while we shipped ours out to be customized...that's just silly.

The plastics set and decal set (target decals, not cabinet) Terry can get from Stern. Those were the other things I had asked him to check on. I wanted an additional back-panel plastic to try a mod, but they're only in the full plastics sets so....nixed on that too. Will have to find a way around it for my mod. No big deal.

#28 9 years ago

IMHO the only reason you can't get these parts all of a sudden is the new custom DD Premium stuff. Stern saw modders making money off painting and cut the market down so they could get a cut instead.

I'm not normally a conspiracy person like that, but it was right after they announced the new custom machines that all of a sudden they started making them harder to get.

Luckily I scored a Sparky to paint right before that, was a lot of fun. Hopefully my enjoyment doesn't make phishrace too pissy!

#29 9 years ago

Stern protocol is to not replace LE parts with out proof that it was broken, in some instances you even need to send them the broken part. This is to protect other le owners from parts not being available to them and people not building their own les. Can they make money off of them, yea they could, however they care more about their customers. As for normal parts, again try and place an order through your distributor, they can order the parts for you. If they have supply issues currently because they are still building a machine they have all the right in the world to not sell spare parts they are using for production. I have been waiting on lighting bolts forever, but I understand that the ones they have they are using for production. Its either sell a small dollar part to someone who wants a back up or its have the parts in stock to continue to build and sell a full machine. Think about it from their standpoint.

#30 9 years ago

We need a pissy'est pinsider of the day shirt. You on that Frax?

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Stern protocol is to not replace LE parts

These.

are.

not.

LE.

Parts.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

We need a pissy'est pinsider of the day shirt. You on that Frax?

This could be an awesome tie in with dick of the day. And I did threaten Ed with a more offensive shirt for TPF next year...

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Funny...they sure have a lot of extra Sparkys for Dirty Don to paint...trophies etc.
I tried getting one last fall and gave up

FS: Metallica Launch Party Grand Champion Trophy - $500.

!10155916_10202766773283398_505759112560933582_n-505.jpg!10155916_10202766773283398_505759112560933582_n-505.jpg
#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

These.
are.
not.
LE.
Parts.

Read
THE
REST
OF
MY
#35 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

FS: Metallica Launch Party Grand Champion Trophy - $500.

Yep I got me an extra one myself...hate to pull it off the plaque but whatever

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yep I got me an extra one myself...hate to pull it off the plaque but whatever

I joke about selling it in the post, but I literally was offered $300 for my Launch Party Trophy back when no one cared about getting more Sparky's and I didn't sell it. I just didn't need the money at the time and it looks cool in the gameroom, so I kept it.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I joke about selling it in the post, but I literally was offered $300 for my Launch Party Trophy back when no one cared about getting more Sparky's and I didn't sell it.

I actually think I was in that thread also when that guy was looking to buy a trophy.

#38 9 years ago

Sounds like its time to break out the ole' silicone and start casting your own resin parts...

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Sounds like its time to break out the ole' silicone and start casting your own resin parts...

Once we do that Stern will release a vault edition sparky

#40 9 years ago

Frax, Reach out to my parts guy Carl at my office and see if he can help
303-962-4700

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Frax, Reach out to my parts guy Carl at my office and see if he can help
303-962-4700

Alright, cool. Will do JJ. Sorry I didn't get Met from you, but I had a pretty smokin' deal.

#42 9 years ago

Before starting a thread like this one should probably exhaust all facts first.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Alright, cool. Will do JJ. Sorry I didn't get Met from you, but I had a pretty smokin' deal.

After buying many new Sterns I learned the smoking deal vs Game Exchange is not really a smoking deal. In the end the support and service out way it all. And he is still one of the best priced.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It doesn't matter. I'm a purchaser of a NIB game. If I want to buy extra parts for backups/spares, that shouldn't be an issue. I'm not asking for a mirrored backglass or an LE plate. It's a freakin' piece that is on EVERY GAME THAT WILL BE MADE.

Actually, as unfortunate as it is, we don't have the right to have spares. If something breaks, your distributor will be able to get you a replacement. But getting spares is another matter and really isn't a "right" we have as consumers.

#45 9 years ago

I have never had a problem getting replacement parts for any of my Stern's. Ever.

All I have done is sent emails to my distributor and Pat Powers at Stern along with my serial number and a pic of the problem part. They have always sent me the new parts, often even outside of warranty.

IMO Stern's support for their products is top notch.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Actually, as unfortunate as it is, we don't have the right to have spares. If something breaks, your distributor will be able to get you a replacement. But getting spares is another matter and really isn't a "right" we have as consumers.

Never said it was. But don't you think this is a little outside the norm? It's not like they ever restricted the sale of Wolverine bodies, or Hulk bodies, lol. Someone start painting those hulks grey or orange, and see how fast they stop selling them though. Someone better get em fast now that I said something, before anyone gets a crazy idea.

I guess I chose to word my title poorly. I didn't really intend to imply that Stern wouldn't replace broken parts under warranty.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I guess I chose to word my title poorly. I didn't really intend to imply that Stern wouldn't replace broken parts under warranty.

Yeah, it was pretty vague.

#48 9 years ago

I edited it.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Yeah, it was pretty vague.

HEY-O!

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

He's got a legit beef - it's stupid not to sell spare parts to owners of the game, or to anyone for that matter. Lots of folks want to stash things for later installation, or to have down the road for when the original breaks and is (legitimately) NLA from manufacturer because it's too old.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 149.00
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hope-we-dont-break-any-parts-on-metallica and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.