33%
  • Genesis 27 votes
    68%

(40 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b384bc7757e4c5e85733e24025b57ef062bd98e0 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have the opportunity to purchase either game, for almost equal prices. What are the pros and cons of each and which is the better buy. I'm leaning towards Hoops because of the rarity. Any thoughts?

#2 5 years ago

Never seen a hoops.

Genisis is pretty dumb but has some good things going for it; namely the recockulus MB multiplier that can get over 40X.
It's main issue is it's the choppiest wood chopper ever. The 2 main ramps slow the game down quite a bit, every time you hit one the game stops, makes some noises and flashes some lights, and then kicks them out. You have to hit the ramps all the time so it really adds up. Has the cool Gottlieb kicker targets and the actual backglass is cheesetastic in a fun way, unless it's one of the lame ones people put in to act like it' a classy game (it is not).
I can;t imagine heading to play this game everyday if I owned it...not for more than 2-3 weeks. It's a fun change of pace every once in a while.

#3 5 years ago

Anyone else?

#4 5 years ago

Have never played Hoops but have a Genesis and its not the greatest choice for a small collection but its a pretty fun game when dialed in and working correctly, I doubt I would ever sell mine, I got it for cheap and bought a new plastic set and ramps from Freeplay40.

#5 5 years ago

I played hoops several years ago, I played Genesis recently so take the following with a grain of salt.

I've always had a soft spot for the street level Gottlieb games, they always had some really interesting playfield designs. Hoops definitely has an interesting layout, with some unique feeling shots, and I remember there being a lot to shoot for. I don't remember the rules so much, so I don't recall if all those shots are actually worth shooting, but I do remember being able to relock balls in multiball for a nice bonus. I thought that was cool. Lends weight to the mode.

Genesis was a delightful surprise. I agree, it's a bit of a woodchopping adventure of a game, since you have to make certain target shots a million times to complete a single body part, but it's got a fun vibe to it, and most importantly, the rules have meaning to them. You get a nice little surprise for completing the game: you get to see what's in that coffee can below the playfield.

I think for me, I'd buy the hoops, play it for a while, and see if it's got some cool surprises up its sleeve. Since it's a pretty rare game, you won't see them often, and you may never really get the chance to own one again. If it turns out to be a stinker, I'd sell it and buy a Genesis. You see Genesis a lot, and I doubt you'd be hard pressed to find one later to buy.

#6 5 years ago

Buy the Genesis then hook me up with the seller so I can buy Hoops. I've been looking for one.

#7 5 years ago

Get Genesis hoops can became boring fast in a home collection because the only thing you do in the game is light your hangetime spinner then you just shoot the spinner over and over.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

you just shoot the spinner over and over

For some that's all you need.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Get Genesis hoops can became boring fast in a home collection because the only thing you do in the game is light your hangetime spinner then you just shoot the spinner over and over.

That's OK with me actually. I'm an old school guy. Either game would be the "newest" pin I ever bought and I only ever had one multiball game before, which was F2K.

#10 5 years ago

I'm surprised with all the love Genesis is getting in the poll. I guess not many people have played Hoops. For you guys not familiar, Papa has a video of the gameplay available here on Pinside. It's a pretty neat, different game.

#11 5 years ago

I would get the Hoops, there was one on DE Craigslist a couple years ago but the guy never got back to me. Definitely much harder to find than Genesis and also will be easier to sell if you change directions.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I'm surprised with all the love Genesis is getting in the poll.

It has ramps, thus makes Pinside happy.
I choose Hoops personally but I get why Genesis is winning.
Music/sounds/light show is definitely better. Replacing the stock crappy purple ramps with the new clear ones, (as well as the translite,) elevates the “cool” factor for many.
So if you really want to be cool and can’t afford a Supreme machine...
Get a TX-Sector instead.

#13 5 years ago

I played a really nice looking and working deadly weapon and it looks pretty boring with single level and no ramps but was alot of fun, if I ever found one for a good price I would pick one up, im not a huge basketball guy but it could be fun, I just have never played one, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Title Fight, I also like the system 80bs and the street level Gottliebs for what they are.

#14 5 years ago

Genesis is getting love because it's a great game, and a killer value for the money. Set up correctly it's a very tough game that keeps you coming back.......

#16 5 years ago

Genesis. Great light show, sound, and oddball theme. Fun to play.

Hoops is absolutely awful in every way.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Genesis. Great light show, sound, and oddball theme. Fun to play.
Hoops is absolutely awful in every way.

Some of your fellow high level players love it though, Levi. Is it a stretch to say you are not a fan of any of the Street Level Gottliebs?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Genesis is getting love because it's a great game, and a killer value for the money. Set up correctly it's a very tough game that keeps you coming back.......

This is true.

Genesis used to be trash that nobody wanted because it was ugly. That was until people found out it's a great game.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Some of your fellow high level players love it though, Levi. Is it a stretch to say you are not a fan of any of the Street Level Gottliebs?

Some of my fellow high level players like huffing glue too!

Silver Slugger is ok. But generally, no. They suffer from the same terrible software all those System 3 games have. Man they love a mystery award over there!

Genesis is much better than Hoops.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Some of my fellow high level players like huffing glue too!

Haha!

#21 5 years ago

Hoops! Very little seen, probably won’t see one for a while. Very fun pin

#22 5 years ago

I can see where one would go with Genesis from a game play perspective, but if you pick it you have to find an alternate translite. My gosh the original one is bad.

#23 5 years ago

I love Genesis. Neat art packaged on the playfield, fun chiptunes and sound effects, and it's a fun and simple game.

#24 5 years ago

Hoops by a mile. The Sanctum in CT had both and guess which one stayed? Hoops.
All the tournament players love it, and it has a separate score counter for basket points only, which keeps things interesting if you decide to mix up the play.

#25 5 years ago

This thread is fantastic and beats the pants off another "should I buy Pirates of the Caribbean or Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Pro)?" Or "#dialed-in vs. Total Nuclear Annihilation ...what should get my $$?"

I'm invested now!

OP - let us know what you decide and then send pictures.

#26 5 years ago

b384bc7757e4c5e85733e24025b57ef062bd98e0 (resized).jpgb384bc7757e4c5e85733e24025b57ef062bd98e0 (resized).jpg

#27 5 years ago

If they aren’t too much money, I would buy both. Buy them both and play for a while, sell or trade them later after you have fun

#28 5 years ago

You want a winner? Show us a nice poll.

-mof

#29 5 years ago

The game looks very sharp with those clear repro ramps.

#30 5 years ago

Played both. Love genesis, hoops I didn’t really enjoy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hoops-or-genesis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.