(Topic ID: 304318)

Hooking up two machines to one POLK sub. What do I need?

By delt31

7 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by extraballingtmc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 months ago

Hey guys - I want to hook up two pinball machines to one polk sub. I want to leave the machines on though (obviously only playing one at a time) - is this possible and if so, what additional hookups do I need?

#2 7 months ago

Yeah depending on the polk sub - if its the 10 inch you can hook two games up L/R from both games, keep the volume/phase around the middle.

#3 7 months ago

Pinnovators has good products for this.

#4 7 months ago

Two games should not be a problem as long as the sub supports multiple inputs.

Modern Sterns you can run RCA low output directly from the CPU (Node 0) and most others just run speaker wire from the internal sub to the high input on the sub.

#5 7 months ago

Worst case scenario you just need a little submixer like a YAMAHA MG06 which will cost you about a hundred bucks. That will allow you to plug in your 2 pins - and another couple of devices if desired - and control the volume for each going into the sub.

#6 7 months ago

Not sure which games your are hooking up, but I've had issues hooking up two spikes games to the same sub using alligator clips, weird things happening with the lights. It happens because the ground is being shared across the games. I use the pinnovators pinsub mixer now, which isolates the ground and allows 4 games to be run off one sub with adjustable volume control for each pin. Sounds better and I believe is a safer way to do it.

#7 7 months ago

I've got several Polk subs hooked up to two games each. I didn't need anything special. I just took two 6-8' lengths of wire and connected one pin to the sub via alligator clips on the bottom board speaker and inserting the other end into the left or right sub input. Then hooking up a second game in exactly the same way using whichever input is now available - either left or right. I've played both pins simultaneously with no problems. The speaker appears able to handle it fine.

#8 7 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Not sure which games your are hooking up, but I've had issues hooking up two spikes games to the same sub using alligator clips, weird things happening with the lights. It happens because the ground is being shared across the games. I use the pinnovators pinsub mixer now, which isolates the ground and allows 4 games to be run off one sub with adjustable volume control for each pin. Sounds better and I believe is a safer way to do it.

I’ve had two Spike games hooked up to one Polk sub for quite some time now without any issues. I wonder why yours had problems? Wonder if I should change up the lineup to avoid two Spikes on one sub?

#9 7 months ago

I’m talking about psw 10 so I can hook up both via alligator clips at they can be played at the same time?

What are the pinnovators product of I want to go that route? Link?

#10 7 months ago
    Quoted from SNES:

I’ve had two Spike games hooked up to one Polk sub for quite some time now without any issues. I wonder why yours had problems? Wonder if I should change up the lineup to avoid two Spikes on one sub?

Not really sure, but I had Elvira and avengers hooked to it. When playing avengers with Elvira off, the coindoor lights on elvira were flickering. Really odd behavior, but I then unhooked elvira from the sub and it stopped. After that, I switched to the pinnovators product. Having used alligator clips forever, I then realized the pinnovators product sounded better and have since switched all my games to them.

Quoted from delt31:

I’m talking about psw 10 so I can hook up both via alligator clips at they can be played at the same time?
    What are the pinnovators product of I want to go that route? Link?

Here’s the product for one game.

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/pinsub-spike-spike2-stern-kit

Here’s the mixer for multiple games.

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/stern-subwoofer-kits/products/pinsmx-passive-subwoofer-mixer

#11 7 months ago

Get the mixer. You can go 4 deep. And adjustable for each machine. Done.

#12 7 months ago

2 pairs of alligator clips and some 14 gauge speaker wire. Done.

#13 7 months ago

Thanks guys this has been helpful. Didn’t know you could connect two machines to one sub and keep them both on

#14 7 months ago

I use psw 10 and have them hooked up.to 2 machines each. Sound great even when both machines are played at the same time. No special hook ups-just alligator clips to l and r inputs. If you stop to think about it, in a stereo hook.up, l & r inputs are connected and play fine so why wouldnt 2 pins?

#15 7 months ago

Where on the stern sub do you clip to? And where do you run the wire out of the cabinet since there’s no opening under it?

#16 7 months ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Where on the stern sub do you clip to? And where do you run the wire out of the cabinet since there’s no opening under it?

Clip to the positive and negative terminals in the speaker. I route mine through the openings in the back

2 weeks later
    #17 6 months ago

Going to order some alligator clips from Amazon- is there a particular one/size/style to get?

Anyone got a link to ones they’ve used to hook up polks?

Tia!

#19 6 months ago

Anything will work. The clips are to connect to your bottom speaker easily. You could also solder the wires if you dont have clips. On the Polk side, the bare wires just slide into.the slots provided.
    It's not all that exacting a science!

#20 6 months ago

Lol ok Txs, guess I’m over thinking it. Just so many clips on Amazon got confused

#21 6 months ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Lol ok Txs, guess I’m over thinking it. Just so many clips on Amazon got confused

There is a pinsider here that sells them along with the wire already done. I have used 10 kits or so on my games

#23 6 months ago
    Quoted from Aflacjack:

There is a pinsider here that sells them along with the wire already done. I have used 10 kits or so on my games

I made a few extra sets when I did mine as well... I have 4 sets left

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1289-youbentmywookie/04827-10-subwoofer-cable

#24 6 months ago

Dang... those sold quick.... If there is enough interest, I could make up a batch of them again.

#25 6 months ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Dang... those sold quick.... If there is enough interest, I could make up a batch of them again.

Yours are half the price of the other seller after shipping and 16g vs 18g wire. I'd be interested in two sets if you decide to make more.

#26 6 months ago
    Quoted from mycarlooksfast:

Yours are half the price of the other seller after shipping and 16g vs 18g wire. I'd be interested in two sets if you decide to make more.

10-4.. I will get some more supplies ordered and make up another batch and post here.

#27 6 months ago

For the Canadians I just grabbed a 10 pack of alligator clips plus 100’ of 16 gauge wire at the source, with taxes 42$

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!