Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SGSA
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

I know it's been covered, too much to tread through. What's the eeaasiestt nd quickest way to hook up a Polk sub? Prob to imdn premium. Thx.

#2 4 years ago

Easiest and quickest

#3 4 years ago

Buy sub connector kit from Greempose like $10. Easy peesy to install.

#4 4 years ago

On a newer pin, the proper way to do it is by connecting one of these (or equivalent) and get an active sub.

oops...see below.

#5 4 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #6 4 years ago

Cant I just solder to speaker and plug into sub?

#7 4 years ago

Yes you can matter of fact you can just use alligator clips on your cabinet speaker. I did and the sound is amazing.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Yes you can matter of fact you can just use alligator clips on your cabinet speaker. I did and the sound is amazing.

Yup just do this. Super fast and easy.

#9 4 years ago

you can use the "high-level," inputs.on the subwoofer buy running speaker wire from the speaker in the bottom of the cabinet to the "high-level," inputs. on the sub

#10 4 years ago

The newer pins can potentially have an issue.

The negative on the speaker terminal is not chassis ground, it's a balanced output. When hooking up to an active sub, you are likely grounding the negative speaker terminal.

The item above eliminates that possible issue. That's it's purpose...to go from balanced (the speaker) to the amp input (unbalanced, also known as 'single ended').

Having said all that, and like others mentioned above, people have hooked up active subs without an issue. But I'd rather spend $8 and do it right, not worry about it, and not wipe out an expensive Stern board. There's a thread about this issue somewhere.

If the woofer is passive, then your ok w/o it. Or hook it up like Oldman mentioned.

#11 4 years ago

hands down the best, and easiest method, and completely 100% reversible (with ZERO damage) if you decide to sell your pin.

http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=48

I used to wire into the speaker in the bottom of the cabinet for all my pins, now I simply order the correct kit for each machine.

#12 4 years ago

Thx for the ideas. And thx for no haters goin off on how many times this has been covered. Theres always new ideas and ways

#13 4 years ago

One more question, if I use the converter on 2 machines, prob maiden and met, can I hook both to a Polk sub? I see it has a left and right side

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

One more question, if I use the converter on 2 machines, prob maiden and met, can I hook both to a Polk sub? I see it has a left and right side

Lol, I almost mentioned adding multiple pins, but didn't want to muddy the waters.

Just get an audio mixer. A Behringer 4 channel is only about $25. Look up a MX400. I used for one for a while before moving to a 6 ch.

#15 4 years ago

Thx. Any more info or ideas appreciated

#16 4 years ago

In spite of the name, a ‘subwoofer out’ isn’t the best way to connect a subwoofer to a quality music system. The preferred method works even if a preamp doesn’t have special subwoofer or preamp outputs, however, you do need a subwoofer that can accept a “high level” (also called “speaker level”) input. With this method, the subwoofer connects to the back of your amp exactly where you plug in your speakers.Don’t worry, the subwoofer will not draw power from your amp. An active subwoofer presents a very high impedance load, so the amp doesn’t work any harder when you connect one, two, or even a line-array of six subs to it. The sub is just seeing a signal and amplifying it.
    hear is link
    https://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/subwoofer-tips

1 month later
    #17 4 years ago

If I use the alligator clip method to connect to the speaker in the bottom of the cabinet, should it go to the RCA connector or the speaker type inputs on the subwoofer? I'm using the Polk 10" that everyone here seems to like.

#18 4 years ago

High level inputs .. Speaker

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from lowbeau67:

High level inputs .. Speaker

Excellent. Thanks for the advice.

Now how is everybody snaking the wires out of the cabinet to the subwoofer?

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from rrosenhouse:

If I use the alligator clip method to connect to the speaker in the bottom of the cabinet, should it go to the RCA connector or the speaker type inputs on the subwoofer? I'm using the Polk 10" that everyone here seems to like.

Speaker inputs. Have done this with 20+ machines including Iron Maiden right now. Easy peasy. Black to black, red to whatever colored wire is left. I can hook up 2 machines per sub.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Excellent. Thanks for the advice.
    Now how is everybody snaking the wires out of the cabinet to the subwoofer?

Right out the cabinet speaker opening. Sure there's a more clever way of snaking it out the back but I'm impatient.

2 months later
    #22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Speaker inputs. Have done this with 20+ machines including Iron Maiden right now. Easy peasy. Black to black, red to whatever colored wire is left. I can hook up 2 machines per sub.

Which lug on the stern sub is - hard to see on mine which lug is which

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

hands down the best, and easiest method, and completely 100% reversible (with ZERO damage) if you decide to sell your pin.
    http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=48
    I used to wire into the speaker in the bottom of the cabinet for all my pins, now I simply order the correct kit for each machine.

Updated link from our new site as of 11/1: https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/stern-subwoofer-kits/products/pinsub-spike-stern-kit

Use this code YDH69A53QCH8 at checkout for for 5% off your first order at our new site. Valid until 2:00 pm EST Nov 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hooking-up-sub?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.