Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220809_120429 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-105219_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20220809_095253 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Hey all, hooking up a new knocker coil here and just wanted to make sure I got the connections to the right spots before I solder. I got red going to 2 and black going to 1. Thanks for any feedback.

20220809_095253 (resized).jpg20220809_095253 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Hey all, hooking up a new knocker coil here and just wanted to make sure I got the connections to the right spots before I solder. I got red going to 2 and black going to 1. Thanks for any feedback.
    [quoted image]

Oops, wrong thread. I was looking for the one about knocking up a hooker. Carry on.

#3 1 year ago

What game?
    What are the colors of the wires on the other connector that this plugs into?
    Was there an old coil you took off? (take pictures before?) Did it have a diode?
    (Do you have the manual?)

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Timerider:

What game?
    What are the colors of the wires on the other connector that this plugs into?
    Was there an old coil you took off? (take pictures before?) Did it have a diode?
    (Do you have the manual?)

Bally 1990 Dr. Dude. Here is a pic of the old knocker before I took it out.

Screenshot_20220809-105219_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220809-105219_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #5 1 year ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

Oops, wrong thread. I was looking for the one about knocking up a hooker. Carry on.

Nope sorry, talking about a pinball knocker here on this thread.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Bally 1990 Dr. Dude. Here is a pic of the old knocker before I took it out.[quoted image]

Why did you take it out? Was the coil seized or something?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Why did you take it out? Was the coil seized or something?

Yeah, there was a ton of gunk and corrosion inside the coil.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Yeah, there was a ton of gunk and corrosion inside the coil.

Sounds like the coil was melted. This is generally caused by a bad diode or transistor, so you don't wanna just replace that without addressing the root cause.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Sounds like the coil was melted. This is generally caused by a bad diode or transistor, so you don't wanna just replace that without addressing the root cause.

Indeed it was melted, not sure which diode or transistor to look for that is connected with the knocker.

20220809_120429 (resized).jpg20220809_120429 (resized).jpg
    #10 1 year ago

If you have the WPC version, it is Q66, if it is the system 11 version, the knocker is Q23 according to the manuals.

#11 1 year ago

If you have the WPC version, it is Q66, if it is the system 11 version, the knocker is Q23 according to the manuals.

Appreciate it, I believe I have the System 11 version

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Indeed it was melted, not sure which diode or transistor to look for that is connected with the knocker.

RC_like_the_cola answered the transistor question.

Your old coil, no diode on it. So no diode on the new coil, and because of that it doesn't matter which wire goes to which lug.

LTG : )

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

RC_like_the_cola answered the transistor question.
    Your old coil, no diode on it. So no diode on the new coil, and because of that it doesn't matter which wire goes to which lug.
    LTG : )

Thank you for the helpful info

#15 1 year ago

So I misread this thread and was pretty excited to read the discussion. Kinda let down but glad you got the help you needed.

#16 1 year ago

I have always loved knockers and it doesn't matter in this case which way they are hooked up. Go for it either way!

#17 1 year ago

In System 11 the 50V (high current) solenoids are ultimately grounded through the Auxiliary Power board. Q23 is on the CPU board and drives the grounding transistor on the AUX board.

Quoted from LTG:

LTG is correct. There is no polarity requirement. The backEMF diode is on the AUX board.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

So I misread this thread and was pretty excited to read the discussion. Kinda let down but glad you got the help you needed.

I did find what I needed thank you, going to try to replace the transistor and see what happens.

Quoted from DumbAss:

In System 11 the 50V (high current) solenoids are ultimately grounded through the Auxiliary Power board. Q23 is on the CPU board and drives the grounding transistor on the AUX board.

LTG is correct. There is no polarity requirement. The backEMF diode is on the AUX board.

Thank you! I'll be replacing Q23, hopefully that fixes the issue.

#19 1 year ago

I can understand the need/use for knockers in arcade environments but they seem just too loud for home use. Can't exactly turn them down can you.

Unless anyone has any ideas for quieting a knocker?

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ripper:

I can understand the need/use for knockers in arcade environments but they seem just too loud for home use. Can't exactly turn them down can you.

I like it when my wife jumps out of her skin when the knocker hits. It works every time.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ripper:

Put some adhesive felt pad to the plate that the knocker plunger srikes. But if you dont like the knocker sound, why dont you just disconnect it?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hooking-up-a-knocker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.