• Black Rose 56 votes
    64%
  • They both stink 9 votes
    10%
  • Spend 2K more and get POTC 11 votes
    13%

(87 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th-1-481.jpeg

#1 5 years ago

Which is more fun and will hold interest longer?

#2 5 years ago

Black Rose blows Hook out of the water (no, it really does)

#3 5 years ago

Personally, if those are the only three options (no offense B_R), I think we might actually be due for a real pirate themed pin.
th-1-481.jpeg

#4 5 years ago

Neither...would you consider HS2 or WW....I see JP is on your wishlist. Comming from a POTC owner, if you are already looking at spending around $4K + for one, you are close to a NIB Stern title....my 2 cents

shacklersrevenge is selling his JP right now BTW

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-jurassic-park-and-super-mario-bros

#5 5 years ago

Try to play them. I like hook quite a bit, but I'll also tell you it's a silly game where the rules drives a lot of people nuts. I also like black rose quite a bit.

... But, I don't think I'd own either. I'd own Hook first.

#6 5 years ago

Come up to Albany and play my hook machine. Its for sale if you like it, if not, just enjoy some play time and a few beers.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Come up to Albany and play my hook machine. Its for sale if you like it, if not, just enjoy some play time and a few beers.

Now that's a great offer

#8 5 years ago

I own a Hook. Love it. Kids love it. Put LED's in the game and it's fun. Fast playing game. Played BR and don't care for it.

#9 5 years ago

I owned a BR for quite a while and really liked it. It's a game you have to really understand the rules to appreciate, and you need to have it set up to play fast. Great game and very unique.

#10 5 years ago

For me, Black Rose by a mile.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Now that's a great offer

That is a great offer and very nice gesture. Unfortunately, I can't take FF up on it. You da man FF6735

#12 5 years ago

My old man has a Black Rose. Incredibly fun game. Cannon and video modes are good. Artwork is incredible.

I've never played Hook, so I cannot compare.

#13 5 years ago

Hook is awful for a lot of reasons (horrible score balance, annoying soundcalls, easily loopable ramp). BR has fewer things wrong with it, and it can be made even better by adjusting the sink ship difficulty. POTC for me is somewhere in between.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from gac:

That is a great offer and very nice gesture. Unfortunately, I can't take FF up on it. You da man FF6735

Offer is open any time.

#15 5 years ago

black rose looks great but very clunky. Shots are not smooth at all.

Hook has better playfield layout and smoother shots.

Neither have an ending which hurts both games. It's a close call but you can get hook about $300 less than black rose. I'd take either over POTC any day.

#16 5 years ago

silver ballroom here in st. louis has a very nice black rose. never played hook. only problem with BR i that ball call get caught on the cannon, but it's a fast playing game if you set it up right so generally not a problem. nice video modes, though modes seem to handed out by the center shot.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I like hook quite a bit, but I'll also tell you it's a silly game where the rules drives a lot of people nuts.

Rules? Don't you mean rooster?

8 months later
#18 4 years ago

Black Rose gets my vote....

#19 4 years ago

Black Rose is a highly underrated game, but must be set up correctly. Hook is just annoying, especially the sound calls, but that was pretty typical of most Data East games from the period.

#20 4 years ago

Do you want to loop a ramp for BANGARANGS or sink ships with an awesome cannon?

#21 4 years ago

if you can keep it working... Black Rose. But the hater in me says... neither!

#22 4 years ago

The more you play black rose the more you will like it the people that say they played it once just dont understand it..hook doesn't stick well gets old quick

#23 4 years ago

I wanted to like POTC but it is so boring for me and no action. Nice to look at but game play horrible and slow.

#24 4 years ago

I've only played Hook a couple times & nothing very memorable about it. Black Rose on the other hand is a different story. Wanted one for years & now I really enjoy having my own. Clean game with LED's, plays fast & strong, well maintained... I think under these conditions it really is such an underrated gem. I don't find the game to be too clunky. Not saying its a great flow game, but I like it for what it is & how it plays. If I want flow I go play my JM. Such a pretty looking game too. BR is an example of... if you take care of it, it will take care of you! I can imagine a lot of BR's in the wild may not be overly impressive but it seems to have a lot more potential as a home use game.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Personally, if those are the only three options (no offense B_R), I think we might actually be due for a real pirate themed pin.

th-1-481.jpeg 0

Can these guys Alestorm do the music for a new pirate themed pin please. Just for you Odin metal pirate music.

#26 4 years ago

another favorite live version.

#27 4 years ago

I would definitely go with Black Rose

#28 4 years ago

I have a black rose. a couple of things bug me but i love it overall.

1. "Black Rose' on the back glass looks like a Richard Gere with a nice rack.
2. Sometimes the ball hangs up on the round canon plate near the flippers. Havent attempted to fix it cuz underneath the PF it looks like I would need to disarm it or blow up the world.
3. Launch shot just plain sucks and ends up in the right drain with "ya get another chance" if you don't have the plunger at the perfect draw to hit the skill shot that opens the locker. Bad flow right outta the gate.
4. Video modes are disruptive to game flow too. Who the F thought of this idea in general. "Here, I'll hold your ball while you go play fuggin' tiddly winks for a 500k bonus..." wtf is that sh_t?
5. The fuggin' parrot must die..

Sounds lie a lot of bitchin' but... Awesome game nevertheless. Great ruleset, great lighting, great sound effects, awesome ramp shots and sinking the ship with that canon is friggin sweet...

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Launch shot just plain sucks and ends up in the right drain with "ya get another chance" if you don't have the plunger at the perfect draw to hit the skill shot that opens the locker. Bad flow right outta the gate.

Launch shot isn't set up right then, you need to adjust the guide the ball comes out to hit the ramp correctly, shouldn't drain on launch, had to fix that on mine.

#30 4 years ago

I think Black Rose is in interesting game. Love the art on the playfield and cabinet. Maybe not a long term keeper, but it definitely has its charm. Theme is awesome.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

Launch shot isn't set up right then, you need to adjust the guide the ball comes out to hit the ramp correctly, shouldn't drain on launch, had to fix that on mine.

it hits the ramp and goes half way up then comes back down and drains. is it supposed to go all the way up the ramp?

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

it hits the ramp and goes half way up then comes back down and drains. is it supposed to go all the way up the ramp?

Mine does on a full plunge. When multiball starts I always send the ball from the plunger all the way around the ramp to the upper flipper. BR's plunger seems to be stronger than on other games, which makes me wonder if there is something mechanically different with BR's plunger? Stronger spring maybe?

#33 4 years ago

Hook has nice playfield art and a pretty good layout, but the software is subpar. Being an early DMD game, it plays far more like a pre-DMD title.

Comparing it to a BR should be a fair comparison since both came out the same year, but in practice a Hook will probably cost you about half of a Black Rose. I think I'd rather have Hook and another cheap game (sys11) over a BR, but if you really had the option to but both at the same price, you gotta buy the BR.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

Mine does on a full plunge. When multiball starts I always send the ball from the plunger all the way around the ramp to the upper flipper. BR's plunger seems to be stronger than on other games, which makes me wonder if there is something mechanically different with BR's plunger? Stronger spring maybe?

Interesting. that would make a huge difference on this game for me. I'll have to look into this...

#35 4 years ago

Has nothing to do with the plunger btw... it is just a simple adjustment on the metal ball guide that the ball comes out of, adjust the screw in there to where it hits the ramp cleanly! It makes a night and day difference in the game!

#37 4 years ago

Spend 2k more and get a POTC?! Hook is a $1200 game so that would be one cheap POTC.

I had a hook. Beautiful game. Got old fast.

#38 4 years ago

POTC is great! I had that, Black Rose, and Waterworld all at the same time, love all the ship sinking mechanisms in the games. Honestly Waterworld is a great game too, much better than Hook imo. POTC is around a 4-4500 dollar game as well....

#39 4 years ago

Yeah the premise of this post is weird. If you really want a pirate pin, you have several options based on your budget:

$4200 for PotC
$2000 for BR
$1200 for Hook
$150 for zizzle PotC

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

Has nothing to do with the plunger btw... it is just a simple adjustment on the metal ball guide that the ball comes out of, adjust the screw in there to where it hits the ramp cleanly! It makes a night and day difference in the game!

good stuff. Here I thought it was just designed to f with my head...

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

good stuff. Here I thought it was just designed to f with my head...

I fixed the ball launch issue by exposing more of the ball shooter tip to the surface of the ball. now it makes the loop off the launch which makes a HUGE difference in the game. AWESOME!!!!!! Thanks Nighttaco!!!!

#42 4 years ago

I've owned both and both are gone. Hook's playfield layout is better and smoother playing. But the rules are lacking. Black rose looks great, but it's clunky and some of rules are terrible. The video modes are terrible. Cannon is neat but if not adjusted right, it totally screws up the gameplay.

#43 4 years ago

Glad you fixed your launch issue RC, It made my game 100 times more enjoyable once I fixed mine!

#44 4 years ago

Hook in my book. Played BR the other day. Nothing special in my opinion. Hook has some fun ramps and skull. Kids and adults like playing mine. Great looking art.

BR cannon area always has wear and needs adjusted. Didn't think it was anything special.

#45 4 years ago

Truth in advertising = I own PotC. That said, clearly prefer BR play to Hook. Might consider owning BR someday if I could find a better backglass - original is major turnoff.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside