Topic poll

“Hook v. Starship Troopers”

• Hook 5 votes
    12%
  • Starship Troopers 37 votes
    88%

(42 votes)

#1 10 months ago

I have an opportunity to get one of the above 2 machines. Roughly the same price, both in good condition.

I was a big fan of the starship troopers movie, but I’m really drawn to the overall look of Hook.

What’s your vote?

#2 10 months ago

SST is a much better shooting game, lots to do, fun ruleset, etc...

#3 10 months ago

Hook is VERY basic. You might get bored of it quickly.

Starship Troopers is a fantastic game imo. If you love the movie, I say get SST for sure.

#4 10 months ago

No question, SST. It's actually one of the few good Sega games.

#5 10 months ago

Sst is a amazing game. I'm on my second one. Lots to shoot for. Many different multiballs and great light show. Mines a keeper and isn't going anywhere.

#6 10 months ago

SST and not even close. Sets didn’t generate a lot of good games but SST is one of them and it has fantastic theme integration with good code.

#7 10 months ago

Each game has a callout or sound effect that is very annoying. The bugs screeching on SST and the stupid kid doing a rooster call or something on Hook.

#8 10 months ago

Not even sure why you would consider going Hook over SST. SST is a much better game.

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Not even sure why you would consider going Hook over SST. SST is a much better game.

Well. I’ve never played either and hook looks fantastic visually and also is more suited towards a younger player ( I have a 9 and 11 year old). I don’t typically trust the pinside ratings but constant theme in hook ratings is that people gravitate towards that game.

But I prefer games that have lots of different shots, and sst seems to fit that bill more.

#10 10 months ago
Quoted from Scorch:

Well. I’ve never played either and hook looks fantastic visually and also is more suited towards a younger player ( I have a 9 and 11 year old). I don’t typically trust the pinside ratings but constant theme in hook ratings is that people gravitate towards that game.
But I prefer games that have lots of different shots, and sst seems to fit that bill more.

Hook has a decent number of shots, but after playing a couple hundred games, you’ll find yourself hitting the same 2-3 over and over again.

SST is better in every way imo, but best to try and play these before you buy. You’ll be playing way more than your kids as well.

#12 10 months ago
Quoted from Scorch:

I can definitely see how you would think that. The first time I saw hook, I thought it looked pretty awesome, and I kind of like the art. It just gets boring and repetitive more so than SST.

#13 10 months ago

Get SST it's a much better game with a better rules and it plays better.

#14 10 months ago

Without quoting everyone above, another vote for SST for all the reasons already mentioned: better rule set, better shots, better theme integration and better theme imo.

Plus kids love the brain bug that raises out the playfield.

#15 10 months ago

I like both pins but remember Hook has that small DMD in it and if it goes bad it's going to be expensive.

#16 10 months ago

Well... appreciate all the feedback.

I had a look at the SST tonight, and it was Imamaculate + a set of legs!

Guy had it in his basement for the last 11 years and barely played it.... didn't even know how to get in the settings menu, or even take the glass off the playfield, so it should go without saying that the cabinet was pristine... even has the goodies bag with it unopened. only issues I found were...

one target wasn't registering
red flashers weren't working (hopefully just bulbs)
playfied looks perfect, but could use a clean and wax
need to change out bulbs to LED
rubber all looked good, but after 11 years, probably needs to be changed.
Inside of the cab could use a wipe down.

Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow when I can go by with my pin hauler.

#17 10 months ago

Hook is just terrible. One of the worst “shooting” games ever made. Everything just feels clumsy and playing it seems to make you feel dumber as the game goes on. It’s got a bunch of modes but they are all annoying hurry ups. Stupid feeds and clumsy super-beefy playfield design makes it feel almost like a luckbox rather than a modern skill game.

SST is no masterpiece but it’s a better game for sure.

#18 10 months ago

SST hands down!!!!! Hook just doesn’t have much to it!

#19 10 months ago

I agree that Hook is more of a looker with it's crazy ramps and the lights on them. Looking past that though it's a pretty basic game. Starship Troopers has you shooting at more if you want to get the most out of the game, and there are some great risk versus reward moments (should I take this multiball after one planet, or five and have the jackpots crazy high instead?). Theme integration is better as well and the callouts are a lot less grating. The mini flipper is a cool gimmick too and gives you something extra to think about when you are flipping.

#20 10 months ago

Hook. The only game I re-listed for sale the same week I got it. Terrible trade deal.

#21 10 months ago

sst has a better playfield layout.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Bright
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside