You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

013 (resized).jpg
014 (resized).jpg
2018-08-14 17_52_29-MPU011A - Internet Explorer (resized).png
2018-08-14 13_01_34-https___www.ipdb.org_files_1233_Data_East_1992_Hook_Manual.pdf - Internet Explor (resized).png
hook full 078 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

ok so doing everybody's favorite activity SWITCH MATRIX TROUBLESHOOTING,, as right bumper firing causes upper vuk and slingshots to fire, with no balls In trough switch edge test read normal for right bumper with balls in trough get multiple switches reading for r bumper ,

no ball, just r bumper(56) reads when bumper is activated
ball in trough 3 : 56 read and 53 read
ball in trough 3 and 2: 56 and 53 and 52
ball in trough 3 and 2 and 1: 56 and 53 and 52 and 51
ball in outhole : 56 and 50

as well r flipper works but does not show up on switch test , disconnecting c1 connector of flipper board all the switch errors go away, seems like issue with sw16 (/ flipper board ) and short between column 2 and7,
i have checked all the diodes and the trough switches test ok ,, checked the matrix on the mpu board with the play field disconnected all switch readings correct

wondering if there might be 2 or more areas causing this, could a shorted diode pr other malfunction on the flipper board explain part or all of this ? thanks for any ideas

hook full 078 (resized).jpghook full 078 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

hopefully this works ,, a little better switch matrix view thanks to astyy of hook board

https://images.pinside.com/6/89/af/689afc05bfe2446fb82521f636b91ba39e4be761.png

#3 5 years ago

Start with testing out the Q48-Q55 2N3904 transistors on the MPU board to see if any are shorted. Set for about 2k ohms on your multimeter and test each transistor by ohmming out the outer 2 legs, then the middle to an outer, and middle to other outer. When you test all 8 of them, you'll notice a difference if one is bad.

If these transistors all test close to one another in resistance, then you probably have a shorted IC that is firing several when it should only be firing one.

#4 5 years ago

when I jumper the switch matrix at the mpu board pins after disconnecting the cn 8 and cn10 connectors all switch readings are as expected, I thought this would mean a playfield issue?

I appreciate your ongoing help!

#5 5 years ago

Ok. I was pretty much expecting that. With the ohmmeter, test from ground (pin 7 or along the edge of the board) to pins 1-6 and 8-13 of these (4) 7408 chips in the lower left area of the MPU board. You should not see any pin lower than 500 ohms, I believe. Normally, a short in a 7408 is caused by a coil that stays locked on long enough where you see smoke coming out of the coil or you see the coil wrapper is black.2018-08-14 13_01_34-https___www.ipdb.org_files_1233_Data_East_1992_Hook_Manual.pdf - Internet Explor (resized).png2018-08-14 13_01_34-https___www.ipdb.org_files_1233_Data_East_1992_Hook_Manual.pdf - Internet Explor (resized).png

#6 5 years ago

you are one step ahead of me then! , probably should have reminded that I have the rottendog mpu board in so the schematic will be different?

#7 5 years ago

You are correct. Schematic would be different, though, you still may have a bad IC that feeds to the TIP122 firing transistor.

#8 5 years ago

Ok. The Rottendog MPU schematic is not available online. Though, I can see these 3 ICs would feed to the coil/flasher transistors. So ohm from pin 10 (ground) to 1-9 and 11 to 19 on all 3 parts. If there is a shorted IC, you would see a difference between the pins to ground of a bad IC vs. a good IC. I cannot zoom in on the picture enough to see what IC this is.

2018-08-14 17_52_29-MPU011A - Internet Explorer (resized).png2018-08-14 17_52_29-MPU011A - Internet Explorer (resized).png

#9 5 years ago

ok thank for the guidance pinball maniac so the pins on the chips read either 5-7( hundred) or 12-15 , for example pin 1 reads 500 ohms , pin 2 1500 ohms, pin 3 500 ohms, no discernible pattern between the legs or from chip to chip, on all the chips pin 20 reads pretty much 0 ohms ( maybe 30 ohms) . will check the original board for readings when I get a chance

If I am following your reasoning a short on the chips that go to the coils would cause them to fire when they shouldn't and this would not show up on the board pin matrix test?

but if this was the cause how is the multiple switch readings on the playfield edge test interpreted? I thought playfield switch edge test errors with normal pin switch matrix would mean playfield not mpu board issue?

when I disconnect the flipper board the switch edge test errors go away, and the right flipper switch does not show up on the switch edge test .as well when I measure the voltages at the cn10 connector disconnected from board with game in play mode for left flipper get 0 volts , for right flipper I get 4 volts or 4.7 volts with r flipper activated, is this normal or an issue with the flipper board?

I LOVE troubleshooting!( sometimes)

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

If I am following your reasoning a short on the chips that go to the coils would cause them to fire when they shouldn't and this would not show up on the board pin matrix test?

Yes. I had this before on a couple of boards. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, when a coil gets locked on to the point a coil burns and you see smoke, not only does the transistor short, the IC goes with it. One of the pins of the IC loads down the others output pins in the same IC so several coils try to fire at the time when you have a shorted output.

Has there been any coils short in your machine before the multiple coil firings started happening?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

when I disconnect the flipper board the switch edge test errors go away, and the right flipper switch does not show up on the switch edge test .as well when I measure the voltages at the cn10 connector disconnected from board with game in play mode for left flipper get 0 volts , for right flipper I get 4 volts or 4.7 volts with r flipper activated, is this normal or an issue with the flipper board?

Do you have a Rottendog flipper board ?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Ok. The Rottendog MPU schematic is not available online.

This one - http://rottendog.us/MPU004.pdf

#13 5 years ago

it is a pinled flipper board

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

it is a pinled flipper board

Did that come in the machine? Did it work with it previously? Do you have the original DE flipper board? I do not have any experience with the PinLED one to know if there are any jumpers or switches on the board.

#15 5 years ago

came with machine , do not have original , looking back I think I noticed the right flipper not registering for high scores right after putting in the rottendog board , maybe the phantom firings with the right bumper too but it took me a while to figure out what was causing what, compatability issues? ,

there are a few switches on the pin led board, for 2 vs 3 flipper machines and eos vs non eos flippers , ( hook is 2 flipper , non eos)

I just had an idea , will pull the row wire for the right flipper from the flipper board connector and see if all the phantom firings go away

#16 5 years ago

Ok. If I read this right, you have the original DE MPU. What is wrong with that board?

#17 5 years ago

You could try a new transistor for the column. Q49 in the manual. May be different on the rotten dog. Its cheap and worth a shot.

#18 5 years ago

Ok. If I read this right, you have the original DE MPU. What is wrong with that board?

, if you remember the q52 transistor blew, I replaced it and it blew again , I had the rottendog so put that in, I have not gotten around to replacing the q52 on the old board yet .

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

if you remember the q52 transistor blew, I replaced it and it blew again ,

ok. I did not realize that this is a continuation of problems with a new board. Sorry, I did not look any other threads and compared to once this thread was started.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

You could try a new transistor for the column. Q49 in the manual. May be different on the rotten dog. Its cheap and worth a shot.

Not exactly a common transistor (20N10L) that is being used on the Rottendog board in the switch matrix.

#21 5 years ago

sorry pinball maniac I did not realize you were not aware of the older issue you helped me with ..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-slam-tilt-phantom-need-board-repair-

to summarize fixed the old issue with the replacement board then this new issue cropped up

It seems to be an issue with the pin led flipper board( maybe with the rotten dog board it need some settings adjusted or the flipper board has a transistor or other component issue? )

disconnected the row wire for the right flipper from the flipper board and all the playfield edge switch reading errors and phantom firings are gone .

game playing great ! I can live without using the right flipper to enter high scores.

will look into troubleshooting the pin led flipper board( I can find very little info on it), any ideas?

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

It seems to be an issue with the pin led flipper board( maybe with the rotten dog board it need some settings adjusted or the flipper board has a transistor or other component issue? )

Can you post a picture of the Rottendog MPU and the PinLED flipper board? I am curious of the revision level of the Rottendog MPU board.

Maybe reach out to PinLED.

#23 5 years ago

Not exactly a common transistor (20N10L) that is being used on the Rottendog board in the switch matrix.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp
BAM!

#24 5 years ago

I did not state that it can't be found. I was just stating it was not a common one, so likely you would not find it walking into an electronics store.

#25 5 years ago

There are still electronics stores??? I'm moving to Houston.

#26 5 years ago

Yes, there is Fry's Electronics, EPO Electronics, and Ace Electronics in Houston. Just Google Houston and electronic stores.

#27 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the Rottendog MPU and the PinLED flipper board? I am curious of the revision level of the Rottendog MPU board.
Maybe reach out to PinLED.

OP, got pictures?

#28 5 years ago

Yes, there is Fry's Electronics, EPO Electronics, and Ace Electronics in Houston. Just Google Houston and electronic stores.

I haven't been in a real electronics supply house in years. None in my neck of the woods. I thought they were practically all gone.

#29 5 years ago

here is a pi of the rottendog mpu board and pinled flipper board, thanks for the help

013 (resized).jpg013 (resized).jpg014 (resized).jpg014 (resized).jpg
9 months later
#30 4 years ago

Did you get your issues resolved?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-switch-matrix-issues-pop-bumper-causes-mult-coils-to-fire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.