(Topic ID: 221239)

Hook slam tilt phantom , need board repair?

By pinballjj

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by arolden
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180717_223627 (resized).jpg
httpswww.ipdb.orgfiles1233Data_East_1992_Hook_Manual (resized).png
20180716_220329 (resized).jpg
20180716_220329 (resized).jpg
20180715_163419 (resized).jpg
20180715_163234 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

posted over on hook and data east boards but think better over here in its own thread so when it gets fixed easier for someone else to learn from

newbie to owning a pinball but learning a lot ..., when I got it did a shop job new lights etc and got an easy trouble shooting fix under my belt recent with a blown fuse that looked good . have been happily playing the hook for a few weeks till this

started getting a random outhole firing , did not think much of it ( not uncommon to gave random firings with data east?) now get a slam tilt error when lower skill shot switch activates (switch 31 c4,r7) , slam tilt is on same row c1 r7, checked all switches edge test and active , all seem fine, disconnecting slam tilt and coin door error still occurs, checked switch wiring for shorts and all diodes on the row

started looking in back box to run cn 8 and cn 10 matrix but noticed section of mpu board seems fried resistor 27 fried and chip below seems like it got to hot, board is hazy in the area , as well on board PIA led not lit, on playfield board in cabinet r49,r50,r51 leds not lit

so it seems like I need board work or new board , any sense in checking switch matrix at board?

do these things just happen due to transistor or board component failure or is there some other play field issue I should check?

any recommendations for board guy? thanks !!

#2 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the MPU please?

Also a picture of this playfield board in cabinet r49,r50,r51 leds not lit that you are referring to. That is not registering with me. .

#3 5 years ago

Sent from my phone

20180715_163234 (resized).jpg20180715_163234 (resized).jpg20180715_163419 (resized).jpg20180715_163419 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

r49,r50,r51 leds not lit

These are resistors, they only light up when they are on fire

#5 5 years ago

Your MPU is just dirty from what I can see in your picture. Heat from the boards attract a lot of dust. With power off, you can use alcohol and a paper towel/toothbrush to clean off most of it off.

#6 5 years ago

ok found the answer to one of my questions - cross it off the list!,

," as well on board PIA led not lit, on playfield board in cabinet r49,r50,r51 leds not lit "

from flipper winkel
"CPU Power-On LEDs.
At power-on, the CPU board performs several self tests. While watching the LEDs (Light Emitting Diode) on the CPU board, some information can be derived from them. If all the self tests pass, the LEDs illuminate in the following order at power-on.

•PIA (Peripheral Interface Adaptor) and +5 volt LED turns on immediately.
•After about 1/2 second, the PIA LED turns off.
•Blanking LED turns on next.
•+5 volt and Blanking LEDs will stay on (until the game is turned off).

The LEDs when the game is booted and running; the blanking
and +5 LEDs are on. "

thanks for the input pin guy I could have sworn they all light up on the board in the cabinet , but I guess the r means something, sometimes I am an idiot but othertimes I just try hard to be one

thanks pinball maniac if you enlarge the pic the r127 c122 and c121 I guessed to be heat damage , ( c121 dull dark brown as compared to tan c117, ) if this is normal or dirt I am happy and keep searching, will run the switch matrix at the board ,

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

if this is normal or dirt

Clean the board. Only then you will know.

#8 5 years ago

Also since you changed lights make sure you did not short anything under the playfield.

Lamps to coils, lamps to switches.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

started getting a random outhole firing

Sounds as if this switch needs to be adjusted to have a slightly bigger gap so that the contacts are not touching. Or likely you do have a different switch in the row or column that is wired wrong or has a smashed diode, or even 2 legs of the switch shorting together. A coil that locks on and stays on would be a transistor or a problem further up deeper in a board problem.

You mention something about CN8 and CN10, but yet you only posted a partial picture of the board. I would like to see the whole board. Again, this likely would be dirt/dust.

So far, nothing you mentioned sounds like a board problem.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

thanks for the input pin guy I could have sworn they all light up on the board in the cabinet , but I guess the r means something, sometimes I am an idiot but othertimes I just try hard to be one

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, It is safe to say that there are other lights on that board that should be lit as the one in your picture is LED4, I can also see an LED3 on the board that might be dimly lit? I'm just not familiar enough with that board to provide insightful information, you do however want to put a meter across those fuses to make sure they are good.

EDIT: Ahhh, that's just your flipper control board.

#11 5 years ago

Here is a picture of the whole board,lighting is not great ,a lot of the haze came off with alcohol, the r127 resistor looks a little funky but is not open is shorted. I checked the rows and columns at cn 10 and cn8 as outlined in flipper winkel ,on column 4(where the 31 switch is) get a bunch of ,switches reading ,most in row 1 but at least one in row 6,,I interpret this to be a board issue? Would it be a certain component? Anything else to check? Not sure I have the skills to be replacing board parts but if anyone can recommend someone ,thanks

20180716_220329 (resized).jpg20180716_220329 (resized).jpg
#12 5 years ago

Sorry typing error r127 not open or shorted

#13 5 years ago

Here is a pic of the whole board lighting not great, a lot of the haze or grime came off with alcohol ,when I did the check of the rows and columns at cn 10 and cn8 on column 4 (which the 31 switch is on) I got a bunch of switch readings most row 1 but at least one c7 r6,I interpret as board issue but probably wrong

20180716_220329 (resized).jpg20180716_220329 (resized).jpg
#14 5 years ago

I stated earlier, I don't see this as a board issue.

Can you post a picture of all the switches that you either soldered a wire to or replaced? Need to be sure each switch is wiring correctly. Just because you may have soldered wires to a switch the same way it was before, it may have been connected wrong begin with.

#15 5 years ago

I did not solder any switches or replace any ,I did check all the diodes in the row and had to clip a few and resolder as on some of them the green wire was soldered on and not quick connected. From my reading if you have a jumper on pin 9 of cn 10 and touch pin 1-9 on cn8 in order with the banded side of the diode the display should read 1,9,17,25,33,41,49,57 I got 1,9,17 , (multiple including 1,25,33, 54,9, ,,,,,),33,41,49,57, I thought this means an issue with the board?

#16 5 years ago

When you don't register all of them, it sounds like you have a break in your row. Did you solder all the green wires to the middle tab on the switches?

Any white wires on the switches must be soldered to the anode of the diode (non-banded side). The cathode (banded side) of the diode needs to have no wires attached to it on any switch and the cathode will be pointing to the plunger of the switch.

Check all the switches in that row.
httpswww.ipdb.orgfiles1233Data_East_1992_Hook_Manual (resized).pnghttpswww.ipdb.orgfiles1233Data_East_1992_Hook_Manual (resized).png

#17 5 years ago

did not solder any green wires , when I was checking the diodes if the green wire was on an easy connect I pulled it off and checked the diode with the switch closed, on the switches with the green wires soldered I clipped the diode checked It and then resoldered the diode .

not sure what' not registering all of them" means , with the cn10 and cn 8 disconnected from the playfield any playfield issue such as the wiring on the swiches is out of the circuit, if you get multiple switch readings on column cn8 pin 4 wouldn't that mean a short or something on the board ? , if not please explain what it means , thanks john

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

if you get multiple switch readings on column cn8 pin 4 wouldn't that mean a short or something on the board

That post #17 is a better description. Thank you.
That should mean short on the board with CN8 and CN10 removed. Can you please a better example of what you are seeing, maybe list it like a chart on the row/column you believe to have the issue. Your description on post #15 is not clear as to what you are seeing.

#19 5 years ago

I think if you turn on the game with CN8 unplugged and measure the voltages on each pin (use the board screw as ground), I think you could see a difference on one column that may point toward a bad transistor if the board has an issue.

#20 5 years ago

have a jumper on pin 9 of cn 10 and touch pin 1-9 on cn8 in order with the banded side of the diode the display should read 1,9,17,25,33,41,49,57 I got 1,9,17 , (multiple including 1,25,33, 54,9, ,,,,,),33,41,49,57,

thanks for the help again , I guess what I was trying to say is that as I probed across cn8 at from 1-9 I would get just one switch closed that follows the top row of the matrix (1,9,17,25,33,41,49,57) at pin 4 instead of reading just switch 25 got multiple switches indicated as closed ( including 1,25,33,54,9 ) an issue with circuitry for column 4?

I will check the voltages at cn8 , if would be great if the specific board component causing the issues can be identified but just confirming this as a board issue, would be a big help,

I am not sure I am up to board work unless a real simple fix , would probably get someone with more expertise to do or just get a new board, might work on the old board if I went that route .

#21 5 years ago

Ok so I went through the whole matrix ,seems like column 4 issue, the slam tilt issue is explained by the circled, I just saw you do boardwork maniac if you can fix send me a pm, regardless thanks for the help j

20180717_223627 (resized).jpg20180717_223627 (resized).jpg
#22 5 years ago

Could you measure Q52 to see if it is shorted? You can conpare it to Q51 and Q53 and you should notice a difference in resistance that Q52 would stand out.

#23 5 years ago

definite difference in readings Q52 reads as 0 ohms, Q 51 and Q53 read 1-1.2 k ohms? ( 1-1.2 on 20 k ohm meter setting)

#24 5 years ago

Q52 sounds like the issue here. Do you think you can replace it? There are also a few smaller capacitors on the power supply I suggest replacing as they tend to leak and cause other issues, such as boot up issues and loss of power to the display.

#25 5 years ago

I might give it a shot , , I have a good guy in the next town over who fixes pins and does some simple board stuff that may be able to help or do for me. if you can give me a list of the components I should replace I will look into it, where do you get a q52 from?

Does stuff like this just fail or is there some other issue like on the playfield or other boards that causes the board components to fail?

#26 5 years ago

Most every electronic parts website/store has the Q52 (2N3904) transistors, which do not fail often. I would think your guy would even have some, but he may not have all the capacitors for the power supply. These particular electrolytic capacitors fail on the power supply mainly because they really have a lifespan, so I would change them all.

May want to get a few spare TIP102 transistors as they may lock on a times and keep coils locked on and burn your coil or other components on the MPU if it stays locked on too long. It would be rare something in the playfield could cause a board issue, usually it would be from hacks or something wired wrong.

#27 5 years ago

I hate worrying about batteries, so I will pimp the NVRAM here. haha Easy to change the old RAM out as it is already in a socket on all DE, Sega, and Stern Whitestar board sets.
https://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

#28 5 years ago

thanks , are you pintech ? any parts number on the capacitors ? ,

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

are you pintech ? any parts number on the capacitors ?

No. I installed over 200 NVRAM already on my and other people's games to save as many games as I can from any future battery damage. That just happens to be where I had been buying from.

Capacitors, I usually buy from www.greatplainselectronics.com or www.mouser.com
C1 1000 uf 25v radial
C2 100 uf 25v or 35v radial
C3 47 uf 63v or 100v radial

C4 18000 uf 25v axial
or C4 could go with (4) 4700 uf 25v radial instead

C7 330 uf 25v radial
C14/C15 (2) 22 uf 25v radial

Don't really see these fail and are more difficult to remove
C10/C11 (2) 100 uf 200v radial
C8 150 uf 100v radial

1 week later
#30 5 years ago

waiting on the 2n9304 to try repair, actually bought a new board as a backup if needed, will update on progress, it is my only pin and have not touched a flipper in weeks.... going through withdrawal !!!

#31 5 years ago

Personally, I chose an original over a new Rottendog replacement MPU. RD uses some uncommon parts in some of the circuits and just see too many quality issues with them.

#32 5 years ago

soldered in the Q52 , it was not pretty but I got it done, the board had a few areas where work was done in past , put the board back in.... turned on .... FIXED!! , Thanks for the help !

#33 5 years ago

so last night all the switches on column 4 went out , all the pins on cn8 read about 4.5 v but pin 4 reads 3.7 v, the resistance on the q52 transistor is ? 0 ohms between middle and upper leg and 1000 between the middle and lower leg( I don't remember exactly but clearly different from the other transistors n the row and I think opposite readings to the last time it malfunctioned. is there something upstream on the board to check? ,

put the rotten dog board in so up and running but would like to try to learn more from the old board or send it to you to get fixed if you are willing to do( paid of course)

#34 5 years ago

I only see this being the single transistor failure. Not sure really why you're having these fail other than part is just old. Maybe run the Rottendog board for a week before putting the original one back in after changing the one transistor.

5 years later
#35 7 months ago

I was looking at a very similar issue on a Hook recently. Lower skill shot switch activated slam tilt, and in fact most other playfield switches activated other switches in column 1 (coin door switches, plumb bob, slam tilt). I narrowed this down to a grounding issue of some sort. With the playfield raised, all switches worked fine. With the playfield contacting the lockdown bar receiver, the switches malfunctioned. I couldn't see an obvious wiring short or other issue but would love to know if you ever figured out the cause of this issue as it sounds very similar to the one I was having.

#36 7 months ago

Is this the legendary 'screw shorting the bracket to the switch terminal'?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#Periodic_.22Random.22_Slam_Tilts

#37 7 months ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

Is this the legendary 'screw shorting the bracket to the switch terminal'?
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#Periodic_.22Random.22_Slam_Tilts

Great suggestion! I hadn't thought of that, but the symptoms are similar. I had a look but unfortunately there was no loose screw. The short must be somewhere else. I'll keep looking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-slam-tilt-phantom-need-board-repair- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.